Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye Surgery - the best place & procedure

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭oconnot5

I have been meaning to give my view online on laser the past while.
    I read a lot of forums before doing it and reading through it there are a lot of posts from people within some of the laser companies recommending their company so be wary.
    It is not a nice procedure, very uncomfortable and you are feeling pretty crap that day. Seeing stuff after laser though is amazing.

I had it done about 5 months ago, eyes were -3 and -4. I had it done with optical express by Dr. Conal Hurley. I have a combined better than 20 20 vison. One eye is stronger than other now. I am happy with the procedure. I was back in work on the Monday, had the procedure on Saturday, and worked a few shorter days that week as eyes tired.

Glare can still be bad enough and halos at night. There are a lot of risks involved and it can go wrong. You will need reading glasses quicker if you get it done.
    Blackrock price is similar to others or even cheapest if you have a strong prescription (They have a fixed price per eye).

My view is do not do during winter. Driving at night is difficult post surgery due to glare/ halos. If you do in winter you will be constantly driving in dark. Spring is ideal/ Autumn is probably good too. Long evenings and not to sunny is best.
    You need a good pair of Polaroid sun glasses after. I am still a little dazzled when I go outside on sunny day.
    In terms of tax back, late in year is best as you will get the 20% back quicker.
    Most health insurance plans do not cover anything. However a lot of laser providers do give a discount based on who you have insurance with. This discount is purely given by laser provider though.
    In terms of price, push them push them push them. They are increasing prices by about 100 a year. Do not sign up on first day, they are likely to drop price more to entice you. I was with one insurer, said I was renewing soon so would change to insurer with higher discount and was told not to bother as they would give me full discount (25% I think). I got Lasik, intralase with wavefront. My starting price was 4100, with insurance discount about 3100, then told 3000. About a week later 2900. Asked for 2800, was told they had to ask head office and got confirmation a day or two later. My refer a friend got 100 Euro too who split it with me. Optilase and Optical express do refer a friend programs (probably others too.) Make use of them, if you not know anyone who got it done with a voucher find someone who does, just ask.
    In terms of aftercare I have had it after a day a week, a month, 3 and 6 months. Think it is yearly as well. I have had unlimited drops included (10 or more bottles now probably). I was told to come back if I wanted more last time. I am still using drops a few times a week due to dryness. I was a little unsure about my eyes given a sizeable difference in strength. I went to specsavers for a second totally unbiased opinion and to reassure myself as much as anything. This for 15 Euro was worth a lot to me. They told me one was far better than ‘perfect’ (a lot better than 20:20) and other was almost 20:20. This I feel is well worth going to your own optician if you have any doubts. Your laser provider is very biased.

Try get something like free sunglasses thrown in when making the deal. Big discounts available after cancellations if surgery isn’t full on a date coming soon. If you are flexible try this. Tell them you are getting a price from their competitors.
    As for which company is best, I really don’t know. They will obviously all tell you they have the mot hi-tech equipment. Obviously it is best if you meet your surgeon before the day you have surgery. This doesn’t happen with Optical Express (and also with some others I think).
    Reading forums the one eye versus two eyes a time is a big grey area. I really don’t know. I had both done together. I would hate to have to go back a second day but if it goes wrong and both eyes are done you are in a worse situation.
    It is meant to be cheaper up north if that would suit.
    Overall I was happy with service provided. That’s my random thoughts of laser. Any questions just ask. My main things are be careful the time of year you do it and who ever you go with push them on their price. Read up on it, you sign a scary disclaimer form of the 101 things that might go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

oconnot5 wrote: »
    In terms of price, push them push them push them. They are increasing prices by about 100 a year. Do not sign up on first day, they are likely to drop price more to entice you. I was with one insurer, said I was renewing soon so would change to insurer with higher discount and was told not to bother as they would give me full discount (25% I think). I got Lasik, intralase with wavefront. My starting price was 4100, with insurance discount about 3100, then told 3000. About a week later 2900. Asked for 2800, was told they had to ask head office and got confirmation a day or two later. My refer a friend got 100 Euro too who split it with me.

who ever you go with push them on their price.

I went to the Mater Private, they do fixed prices and do not need to advertise as their reputation is so good. I wouldn't try to haggle the price of any other surgery so why eye surgery? Would you ask for free sunglasses after getting your appendix out?

You couldn't pay me to go to a commercial clinic who try to entice people to have elective surgery on one of their most precious organs by offering bargain deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭oconnot5

Magenta wrote: »
    I went to the Mater Private, they do fixed prices and do not need to advertise as their reputation is so good. I wouldn't try to haggle the price of any other surgery so why eye surgery? Would you ask for free sunglasses after getting your appendix out?

You couldn't pay me to go to a commercial clinic who try to entice people to have elective surgery on one of their most precious organs by offering bargain deals.

Agreed. very good point. However I did receive good service from them. When you write it though, it does seem crazy trying to get discounts on your eye operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

oconnot5 wrote: »
    Agreed. very good point. However I did receive good service from them. When you write it though, it does seem crazy trying to get discounts on your eye operation.

I know a girl who got laser eye surgery via a Groupon deal. No joke. She doesn't even know if she got Lasik or Lasek (They would have told her, but she's not the sharpest crayon in the box haha).

But yeah- I just have serious issues with the ethics of trying to entice people to have surgery on such a precious organ, surgery that could leave them with serious side effects- so I avoided any of those places like the plague. Plus, I wanted my consultation to be done by the surgeon, not a salesperson.

Advertisement