Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye Surgery - the best place & procedure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

At my consultation they made me read a page describing how if I get the surgery I will need glasses after 42ish or if I'm over 42 I will need them right away. This seems fairly standard. When you're short-sighted the curvature of your cornea actually allows you to offset this which is why short-sighted people generally have a reduced dependency on reading glasses when they're older. Correcting your distance vision takes away this 'advantage'.

The top up thing is great but at the end of the day it's more cornea they're removing. I'd rather it didn't have to be done.

Thanks though man. Still thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jackdock88

Great to hear you got on well. I too visited the Mater and wellington clinic (same as the beacon i think?). I did a lot of research and i mean A LOT! I am literally the biggest scardy-cat! I thought they knew their stuff there and i was impressed by them. But I ended up choosing neither of them though. One of my good friends went to Optilase and she recommended I visit them. I had a completely different experience than mentioned above. My prescription was similar to yours (-5.75,-6) and i had a lot of astigmatism too. In my gods honest opinion i found them lovely to deal with. I felt like i could trust them every step of the way. They did two consultations, one with the optomtrist and the other with the surgeon (mr conal hurley). he lives in cork and it was good knowing he would be available. i didnt experience any hassle and they were professional the whole way through. I had been saving for a while and i wanted the best procedure so i got the advanced wavefront and the intralase. it cost me 3390 for both eyes. My new vision is great and im so glad i got the laser surgery done. where ever you choose ask them about the lifetime guarantee. i know one clinic i visited said it was a lifetime guarantee but it didn't include the cost of any repeat treatments - which optilase told me was the whole point of the lifetime guarantee! sorry for rambling on but i just wanted to share this with you! good luck to anyone reading this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭paddyjoe183

Hi all,

I got my eyes done about a month ago now and it was the best move I ever made! I went to Ultralase in Dundrum in Dublin accross the road from the shopping centre. I now have 25 vision i'm told! It cost me 2000 for both. The price dropped since last year when I was in as I remember getting a quote for 3500 this time last year!!

They offer a interest free payment plan as well which I think is great. Highly recommend to anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Conall Hurley seems to work for optical express, optilase and his own private clinic.

http://www.opticalexpress.ie/laser-eye-surgery/mr-conall-hurley.html

http://www.eyelasercork.ie/consultant.html

And most experiences of optilase seem to mention him.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Conall Hurley seems to work for optical express, optilase and his own private clinic.

http://www.opticalexpress.ie/laser-eye-surgery/mr-conall-hurley.html

http://www.eyelasercork.ie/consultant.html

And most experiences of optilase seem to mention him.

Hi Thegalwayman,
    I'm not sure if Conall Hurley has gone back to Optilase since, but I know he left Optilase around this time last year as I had my surgery with Dr Crewe Brown instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Hoddie

Hi Conall Hurley works for Optical Express. He did my eyes at their clinic in Cork a couple of months ago (very dissapointing results myself..but that's another story)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭jfh

so after many years deliberating about this, i've finally decided to go for it.
    went to Optical Express, after a hard sell, i decided to go with them.
    Prices have gone up in the last few years, so it's working out around 3000 after the various discounts for Lasik.
    the surgeon is Stefan Klopper. anyone here have experience of this guy?

jfh wrote: »
    so after many years deliberating about this, i've finally decided to go for it.
    went to Optical Express, after a hard sell, i decided to go with them.
    Prices have gone up in the last few years, so it's working out around 3000 after the various discounts for Lasik.
    the surgeon is Stefan Klopper. anyone here have experience of this guy?

Nope. You're paying three grand including discounts? That's a fair whack for the likes of optical express.

Mousewar wrote: »
    Nope. You're paying three grand including discounts? That's a fair whack for the likes of optical express.

Damn, i've a friend who got the near idential surgery done with them 2 years ago for 2,500, but i was told that their prices went up.
    paid the deposit there & then to get 10% off.

It's not so much the price by itself - it's just that that price isn't far off what most people consider the 'top-end' places. Don't know if you'll agree with the philosophy of what are considered the 'top' places (I'm not going to push them) but if I was going to Optical Express (which I wouldn't) I'd want to be getting it a lot cheaper to justify it.
    On the other hand, if that price isn't including the tax back then I suppose it's a fair bit cheaper than the likes of the Mater or the Wellington.

The one thing I would puch is getting more than one consultation in more than one place.

• Advertisement

It's not so much the price by itself - it's just that that price isn't far off what most people consider the 'top-end' places. Don't know if you'll agree with the philosophy of what are considered the 'top' places (I'm not going to push them) but if I was going to Optical Express (which I wouldn't) I'd want to be getting it a lot cheaper to justify it.
    On the other hand, if that price isn't including the tax back then I suppose it's a fair bit cheaper than the likes of the Mater or the Wellington.

The one thing I would puch is getting more than one consultation in more than one place.

Yes that's what i fully intended to do & when the girl rang me up querying if i had a date in mind to get the procedure done ,i advised that i was just geing a price of them before i went to other companies,this was before i even went for the consultation!
    i walked out of the place wondering how i got talked into it so easily, i have dealt with easier carsalesmen who would have a hard sell reputation.

Jeez man, that would turn me right off. Is it refundable? Actually even having a deposit is crazy. I didn't pay one at my clinic - just paid full amount on the day. The very idea of a deposit is designed to commit you and to do that when it's surgery - not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hoddie

Hi Thegalwayman, regarding your query
    I had CustomVue Wavefront LASIK through Optical Express last September in Cork by Conall Hurley. (I am 49 years old)
    Let me start by saying that I am being considered for an enhancement in January, so I haven’t lost all hope yet.
    The complications are twofold, prescription and difficulty seeing in low light.
    1) I require glasses as my prescription has not been totally corrected (it was -2 Left -3 Right with astigmatism). I am left with a very low prescription and some astigmatism.
    2) My vision in low light is very compromised. I see glare from all light sources (indoor bulbs, car lights, traffic lights etc..even the moon). Also in low light my vision is very poor so I need a torch to see some things that I could work with before - for example if working on my car.

Short account of procedure and follow up:
    Surgery was unpleasant at best. The only pain that I felt was in my right eye when the surgeon needed to reapply the suction ring to the eye. Also I found it very difficult to keep my eye steady as the light I was asked to focus on was a complete blur after the flap was removed.
    After surgery the surgeon placed a bandage contact lens on my left eye which he said would be removed the following day and I was sent home. The hours after the anaesthetic wears off were sore but ok (a bit like the feeling after cutting onions).
    The check-up the following day is done by the Optometrist and not the surgeon which I was disappointed with. After checking the flaps she applied another bandage contact lens as the left flap had not settled down properly. The following day she checked again and found that it had settled.
    Now each morning I woke up hoping that I would see across the room perfectly, but alas it was blurry.
    I was given temporary glasses after about two weeks. I requested an appointment with the surgeon My Hurley and was given one on his next surgery date in Cork. He told me that it was far too early to assess as healing takes at least three months. He said that the glare and disimprovement in contrast symptoms were not uncommon after Lasik and that they "tend to improve over time..". I was also told to use tear drops regularly and get checked again in 4 – 6 weeks (by the Optometrist).
    What I find most frustrating is the lack of information. No one has told me not to worry and assured me that my problems will be fixed.
    The checks are done by the Optometrist so answers are hard to get. As I mentioned at the start I am being considered for an enhancement but that’s all I know - Whether it is to address the prescription on both eyes and the glare I don't know at the moment.

I never expected that my vision could have a problem that could not be corrected by glasses as before. For the moment that is how it is - I dread driving at night and going out in low light situations. These risks were not explained to me (although of course they are in the disclaimer)

Regarding Optical Expresses’ 20/20 guarantee: As far as I can tell 20/20 vision is assessed by being able to decipher what letters appear on a particular line on the chart - even if they appear skewed!!

While most people have great success with LASIK and apparently would recommend Optical Express to a friend, I was quiet shocked when they sent me vouchers inviting me to recommend them - based on my experience.

I'm sorry if this has been long winded, and I wish you all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

I remember speaking to the top eye surgeon at the Mater a few yrs back and I asked him about the laser eye surgery for myself.
    His answer was you see me still wearing glasses.
    My niece had it done 6yrs ago,went to a top place supposedly and has to go back again this yr to get it redone at further cost.
    I would seriously question whether it is essential to have it doen or can you live with glasses and lenses.

hedgehog2 wrote: »
    I remember speaking to the top eye surgeon at the Mater a few yrs back and I asked him about the laser eye surgery for myself.
    His answer was you see me still wearing glasses.
    My niece had it done 6yrs ago,went to a top place supposedly and has to go back again this yr to get it redone at further cost.
    I would seriously question whether it is essential to have it doen or can you live with glasses and lenses.

The top surgeon at the Mater doesn't wear glasses. Except for reading glasses which is irrelevant to this discussion.

The top surgeon at the Mater doesn't wear glasses. Except for reading glasses which is irrelevant to this discussion.

Actually as I said this is a few yrs back,the man hss since passed on.
    Laser surgery did'nt just arrive in 2013

Actually as I said this is a few yrs back,the man hss since passed on.
    Laser surgery did'nt just arrive in 2013

You said a few years back. The top eye surgeon in the mater has been the same man for several decades at this stage and he's still there, very much alive.
    I'm sorry but i've heard the same unsubstantiated vague scaremongering countless times.

You said a few years back. The top eye surgeon in the mater has been the same man for several decades at this stage and he's still there, very much alive.
    I'm sorry but i've heard the same unsubstantiated vague scaremongering countless times.

Whatever pal.
    I really could'nt care if your plugging it r selling it,I am merely stating what I was told by this man.
    Go right ahead,its not my cup of tea but might b yours and if your making a few pound out of it more power to ya.

Whatever pal.
    I really could'nt care if your plugging it r selling it,I am merely stating what I was told by this man.
    Go right ahead,its not my cup of tea but might b yours and if your making a few pound out of it more power to ya.

Why don't you be specific about the details of this story.

What is the name of this 'top surgeon'?
    How many years ago is a 'few'?
    Which 'top clinic' was your niece treated in?

Without the answers to these questions, your comment is in no way helpful to anybody.

Your sounding like a used car salesman now,desperate to close that sale.
    I won't be publicly broadcasting the name of said individual online as its not the thing to do no matter how eager you r to sell this procedure.

• Advertisement

So no specifics then? I thought not.

And no I don't work in this area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Got mine done 5 years ago in Laservision Ireland

no real problems since, eyesight is brilliant.
    I never wore glasses or contacts, but eyes had started to get weaker for driving watching tv
    met the surgeon (owner of business) for the consultation, he also did the procedure
    would recommend them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Does anyone have any decent places to check out in the west of ireland, Dublin is a long distance.

Galway Clinic is only place. Should be first or second result in google

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MonsieK

I got my eyes done in Galway clinic a few days ago - would highly recommend it. They looked after me really well, there was no pain whatsoever and I could see perfectly the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭magher

Hi, I had an initial consultation with Optilase and got the all clear to get Lasek, or possibly Lasik, as my cornea may be borderline too thin.

I'm debating wither I should get a consultation in the mater private as well, but does anyone know if the package the Mater offered includes a lifetime guarantee for any additional work required?

Because at the moment I think I'm happy to go ahead with Lasek with Optilase, as there top surgeon, Wayne Crewe Brown would be performing the procidure

magher wrote: »
    Hi, I had an initial consultation with Optilase and got the all clear to get Lasek, or possibly Lasik, as my cornea may be borderline too thin.

I'm debating wither I should get a consultation in the mater private as well, but does anyone know if the package the Mater offered includes a lifetime guarantee for any additional work required?

Because at the moment I think I'm happy to go ahead with Lasek with Optilase, as there top surgeon, Wayne Crewe Brown would be performing the procidure
    Yes the mater offer the same bells and whistles. They don't call it a lifetime guarantee as that's a fairly meaningless term but they'll redo the surgery later in life if required and if possible. I say if possible. If your corneas really are borderline it's highly unlikely Optilase or anywhere else will be able to do a later second surgery if required as there simply won't be enough cornea to work with.
    Given what you've been told about your corneas i'd definitely recommend getting a second opinion so you know you're a suitable candidate and you're getting the correct surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I have my consultation this week and have not worn contacts now for 3 days which is the longest they've been out in a very long time. My eyes feel kind of weird, they're not throbbing but I can feel a tiny amount of pressure, is this just my corneas going back to their normal shape?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Magenta wrote: »
    I have my consultation this week and have not worn contacts now for 3 days which is the longest they've been out in a very long time. My eyes feel kind of weird, they're not throbbing but I can feel a tiny amount of pressure, is this just my corneas going back to their normal shape?

i'd say it is to do with a bit of air getting at your eyes....... a good thing.

i know what you mean, i remember wearing contacts for ages and then going a few days without would feel weird.

i started used to shake it up a bit then and wear the aul specs most days in work to give the eyes a rest

2 years + onwards now and my eyes are great and I have never looked back, a decision you wont regret so best of luck

• Advertisement

Magenta wrote: »

Eyes just so used to "bandage" on them at this stage. Use some ocular lubricants and maybe lid hygiene to have the eyes at their best for evaluation

Advertisement