Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Challenge V

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Good man :) Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭obviousTroll

Thanks!

The one thing that got be caught the most was the RET value. It was a different value on my VM to Damo's. I'm reading through on the tutorials that were provided so I can make an assumption on how to counteract this, i.e. make the expolit universal. I'm not even sure if it is wholly possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Use findjmp2 to find hundred's RET addresses you can use.

If there was a JMP ESP or similar in the binary itself, you maybe could use that.. But since exe's in Win32 have image base 00400000, you would have nulls in your payload. You could partially overwrite the EIP and jump back but this highly depends on the layout of the stack, probably not suitable here.

Sometimes exe's load local dll's that you can use.

Thanks!

The one thing that got be caught the most was the RET value. It was a different value on my VM to Damo's. I'm reading through on the tutorials that were provided so I can make an assumption on how to counteract this, i.e. make the expolit universal. I'm not even sure if it is wholly possible.

Usually what I do when writing exploits is to gather various valid addresses for JMP ESP, and just use a switch statement to allow the user to specify the target.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Thanks!

Usually what I do when writing exploits is to gather various valid addresses for JMP ESP, and just use a switch statement to allow the user to specify the target.

Makes sense. I've spotted some more vulnerable apps on exploitdb, so I'll start a pentest lab, and play with them.

Can't wait for Sec Challenge 6. :)

• Advertisement

obviousTroll, looks like you may have done part 3 a different way than what I had layed out, which is cool, but this means you have a bonus task if you want! This of what other way you could do this task.

obviousTroll, looks like you may have done part 3 a different way than what I had layed out, which is cool, but this means you have a bonus task if you want! This of what other way you could do this task.

Send me a PM with what he did. I'm curious :)

Makes sense. I've spotted some more vulnerable apps on exploitdb, so I'll start a pentest lab, and play with them.

Can't wait for Sec Challenge 6. :)

Try Freefloat FTP server. It's pretty easy to exploit. You can download it for free.

Getting to work!

I had originally intended to do the way that you had laid out, but I saw an opportunity, and took it. :)

Done... (Check PM)

• Advertisement

Cheers guys,

This is now finished.

Yay :) Best challenge so far and certainly the one with the most 'real world' feel to it.

Hall of Fame:
    dlofnep
    obviousTroll

BTW, did anyone else actually try this and get stuck? If so, then I can post a solution tonight.

Woo hoo!

We're famous oT :)

Attaching metasploit module for this challenge.

I've never written a MSF module before this. Was a lot simpler that I initailly thought. The hard part was finding the beloved values... :)

Source code and binaries attached if anyone wants to host challenge similar to above or wants to try the metasploit module a few posts back with the exploitable binary.

I compiled with Code::Blocks. Remember to link against libws2_32.a

Advertisement