Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Challenge V

Options
  • 25-08-2011 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Ok this is the fifth Security Challenge. Its an exploit-me this time.

The server is running Security Challenge V v1.0 on Windows XP SP3 (incl. latest updates) and you can find a local copy of the server for analysis attached in this post.
    (For the nervous http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=2fe6f51e35c2f4d97b2dc2067debc7eab71fd1603ffd6eb5f8b775f7e39856ac-1314294638 [ByteHero] is false positive. Also http://anubis.iseclab.org/?action=result&task_id=14781ea2369f26a94716a162df92ecee0&format=html. Someone else already submitted here: http://www.sunbeltsecurity.com/cwsandboxreport.aspx?id=84747569&cs=69F7D6EBF25A701A3D22969F290F98F7. I can give source code to those still in doubt :-P )

The exploitable server address is: damo2k.dyndns.org

There are a few different parts I have suggested for this challenge (although I'm sure you can do other fun stuff if you use your imagination, once you don't wreck the server for everyone else)
      Part 1 : Create a text file with your name in it on Challenge 5's Desktop e.g. "Damo" in damo2k.txt
      Part 2 : Retrieve Challenge 5's log in details. Send PM when done
      Part 3 : Take a screen shot of Challenge 5's Desktop. Send PM when done. Upload to tinypix or similar.
      Bonus : Enter your name to hall of fame (read below first!!)

For fun, a hall of fame will be maintained on free web-hosting here: http://damo.clanteam.com/sch5.php
    NOTE: this hall of fame is separated from the exploitable server and NOT part the challenge itself. This is on free web-hosting and its only propose is to manage a hall of fame. You do NOT hammer/scan this page. Its NOT crack-able anyway and messing around with it will most likely make the owners delete my account.
    You need an "unlock-code" to submit your name to the hall of fame. You will get this when you complete the challenge, specifically completing Part 3.

Usual rules apply:
      No DoS
      No deliberate malicious
      No spoiling challenge for others, that involves changing the challenge configurations
      Use SPOILER tags when posting hints here.
      Clean up after yourselves on the server, so other peoples experience isn't ruined.

Good luck :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14338572/SecurityChallenge5.zip

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Sound Damo :) Gunna give it a crack now.

Left peann.txt on the desktop :D

Password sent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

dlofnep wrote: »
    Password sent :)

Well done, your doing good.

Are people stuck?

Need hints?

• Advertisement

Hmm someone did something which caused the app to hang, it still allowed incoming connections but did nothing. Normally the service crashes when an exploit attempt fails, when that happens, firedaemon will restart it. It also restarts if it simply exits, but tha shouldn't ever happen. So I dunno what would cause it to hang but still accept connections. Either way, I have firedaemon restart the service every hour. So if you get disconnected, just reconnect/exploit again.

Completed :)

Anybody else giving this a crack?

Seems very dead.

If anyone needs tips - just ask.

• Advertisement

Worst case scenario, if people are having problems finding an XP VM to test it on - Perhaps if you provided a valid RET address for them? I had problems with a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭obviousTroll

I didn't realise that it would take this angle of exploiting. Going to study up on this over the next day or so, and try to hack my VM with it. Great project Damo.

I didn't realise that it would take this angle of exploiting. Going to study up on this over the next day or so, and try to hack my VM with it. Great project Damo.

No problem, it should be good fun.

There is a hint above if you get stuck.

Anyone still trying this? If not, then I'll take it down this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

any chance you could leave it up for another day or so, going to do some reading on it an give it a bash!
    cracking idea for a project

Its still up.

Still learning about the topic at hand, and trying to feck with my VM.

Right, I managed to exploit it on my VM, and knocked up a basic perl script to do so. Can't seem to get it to work on your server however.

I even used a value that you posted in the spoiler section, and still it does not work. Care to take a look at my code? I'm almost there!

• Advertisement

You cannot open ports for incoming connections, as I'm behind a router and that would have to be defined in my NAT table.

But the machine is able to make outgoing connections.. does that give you any hints?

It gives me plenty. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

meow :)
    cool challenge damo.
    I've no time to do it but it looks like a real world hack.
    niceeee

If I'm the only one at the minute trying to connect, then you can power it down.

I'm having multiple problems with hacking my VM. I know that I'm close, but I can't get the exploit to work. Creating a meterpreter exe works fine, but implementing it into shellcode doesn't yield the same results, i.e. it doesn't spawn a shell.

I'll figure it out on my side, and see what's the matter. For now, if you wish to discontinue it, fair enough. I'll be awaiting the next challenge.

digme wrote: »
    I've no time to do it but it looks like a real world hack.

It absolutely was :) Best challenge so far, and easily the most difficult.

If I'm the only one at the minute trying to connect, then you can power it down.

I'm having multiple problems with hacking my VM. I know that I'm close, but I can't get the exploit to work. Creating a meterpreter exe works fine, but implementing it into shellcode doesn't yield the same results, i.e. it doesn't spawn a shell.

I'll figure it out on my side, and see what's the matter. For now, if you wish to discontinue it, fair enough. I'll be awaiting the next challenge.

If you follow this, it will help lots: http://www.corelan.be/index.php/2009/08/12/exploit-writing-tutorials-part-4-from-exploit-to-metasploit-the-basics/ - Check out the 'Converting the exploit to metasploit' section.

I had problems with shellcode also, so I just used metasploit as a platform to launch the payload.

I will leave it up for a couple of days.

Are you's using WinDbg, OllyDbg or Immunity Debugger?

Just sent you a PM. ;)

I was using Immunity. Got what I came for!

Going to submit my score.

• Advertisement

Thanks to dlofnep and Damo2k for pointing me in the right direction. I knew next to nothing about
    buffer overflows
    in general, but once
    meterpreter
    came into use, it was easy.

Advertisement