Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW Run Flat Tyres replacement

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Golfer2012 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

just thought id let some people know, I didn't see it mentioned there.

I got a flat on my 523 today and it has run flat tyres, its my first flat since i bought the car, but I was told that if you put normal tires on a car that comes with custom run flat tyres that it can make your insurance null in void........since you have altered the spec of your car......

anyone else heard of this??? seems a bit nuts?

Ring your insurance company and ask. Most do not see replacing RF tyres to conventional tyres as a modification. As long as the tyres meet NCT guidlines then most insurance companies have no problem with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

There is little difference between tyres - run flat tires are not recommended for non run flat wheels as they used to indicate that a car was by fitted with a pressure monitoring system which is required so you don't unknowingly to 1000 miles on punctured run flat.

In terms of rim design only Michelin PAX system requires a special rim.

So changing your tyres and insurance well what difference does it make? You don't inform your insurance company when you have purchased a new set of tyres that were not OEM supplied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Golfer2012

Hmmmm did I just get screwed by the salesman....???? Lol I think the point of the monitoring system is a good reason to stick to the run flats.......I'll drop an email to my insurance company tho just to be sure...cheers folks,

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Actually Golfer, you may have a point and it's a matter I've often wondered about. BMW claim the runflats are a safety item, so if you remove a safety item it is possible that it might void your insurance. You wouldn't remove your airbags or your seatbelts. Let us know what reply you get from your insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

If the car is under warranty BMW will void it if you replace run-flats with regular tyres

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Im needing to replace my back 2 run flats aswell.Im just going to go for normal tires.
    I dont want to spend much but of course I dont want to go for a poor quality tire either. Any suggestions of good prices in Dublin city south side?

Its a 06 318i . I believe the size to be 205/55 R 16 (need to check the tyres to confirm)

EDIT : Actual tyre size is 225/50. Doesnt seem to be too many options for this size??
    I see alot of 225/45 .. Big difference in the price between the 2

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

try camskill.co.uk
    Way cheaper than here and well worth it...
    bought 4 x Dunlop runflat winter tyres and saved €107 off the prices here..
    delivered in 2 days to me as well

Tiesto wrote: »
    Im needing to replace my back 2 run flats aswell.Im just going to go for normal tires.
    I dont want to spend much but of course I dont want to go for a poor quality tire either. Any suggestions of good prices in Dublin city south side?

Its a 06 318i . I believe the size to be 205/55 R 16 (need to check the tyres to confirm)

EDIT : Actual tyre size is 225/50. Doesnt seem to be too many options for this size??

It is not recommended to mix run flat tyres with normal tyres. Run flats and conventional tyres have different charactoristics which can effect the car's handling. Either replace all 4 tyres with conventional tyres or the existing two with run flats again.

If your car is on 17" wheels, the correct size may be 225/45/17. The 225/50 is usually found on the 5 series. You may be able to work out the correct size by reading the list of sizes in the tyre pressure chart in the driver's door frame.

I was thinking of making the change to conventional tyres and selected Kumho runflats from Camskill as a stopgap before making the change. The Kumhos came at a budget price but I was amazed because they transformed the car. They are far better than the original Continentals and I am still using them. The service from Camskill was great too.

There is a company in Athenry doing a good offer on Nokian runflats, 225/45/17 €120, or 225/50/17 €150, delivered by courier. I don't know if we're allowed to post a link here so do a search for "tyreshop"

been busy the last while and only got time now to get the tyres sorted.
    So I checked the door frame.. It appears the car can take 205/55/16 or 225/55/16.

At the moment, the car is on 225/55/16 run flats all round.
    the back 2 need replacing.

Can I put 205/55/16 on the back and keep the 225/55/16 on the front? the 205's are a good bit cheaper.
    THanks

• Advertisement

been busy the last while and only got time now to get the tyres sorted.
    So I checked the door frame.. It appears the car can take 205/55/16 or 225/55/16.

At the moment, the car is on 225/55/16 run flats all round.
    the back 2 need replacing.

Can I put 205/55/16 on the back and keep the 225/55/16 on the front? the 205's are a good bit cheaper.
    THanks

Your car is rear wheel drive. I would imagine putting narrower tyres on the rear and wider ones on the front will compremise the handling of the car.

My advice would be either replace all four run flats with standard tyres or just replace the two worn run flats with 2 new run flats.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Your car is rear wheel drive. I would imagine putting narrower tyres on the rear and wider ones on the front will compremise the handling of the car.

My advice would be either replace all four run flats with standard tyres or just replace the two worn run flats with 2 new run flats.

I've been to two popular tyre dealers already and both of them refused to mix regular and run flats..
    Anyone know anywhere in Dublin that does this ?

Thanks

I've been to two popular tyre dealers already and both of them refused to mix regular and run flats..
    Anyone know anywhere in Dublin that does this ?

Thanks

Have a read of the earlier posts again, it is not recommended to mix both as both type of tyres have different handling charactorists.

Your options are:

1. Replace the existing 2 bald run flats with two new run flats.

or

2. Replace all 4 run flats with 4 new standard tyres.

Check that you are not misreading that label. It could be 205/55/16 on the front and 225/55/16 on the rear, and not either/or as you have read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

You might want to consider adjusting the rear camber if you're going to fit regular tyres to the rear of your BMW. My investigations into it (considering a switch myself) suggest that using regular tyres on a run-flat designed car means you might suffer excess wear, a quick Google throws up the following results on the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Question. If you get a puncture on a runflat, can it be repaired or does it mean a new tyre?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Satanta wrote: »
    Question. If you get a puncture on a runflat, can it be repaired or does it mean a new tyre?

In theory it can be repaired provided you haven't done too much driving on it while uninflated. In practice, not sure what %age are ever repaired and I've heard of people being told it's not possible (to get them to buy a new tyre, I suspect).

Run flats can be repaired as long as the puncture is on the thread and they have not been driven on too far when punctured. The tyre needs to be taken off and patched on the inside, not plugged on the outside like normal tyres.

Some tyre centres will not repair them though.

Advertisement