Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW Run Flat Tyres replacement

Options
  • 25-08-2011 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi,
    I have recently purchased an '09 BMW with RFTs. Late week I discovered that there was a crack on the inside of both my alloy wheels which I had to replace at 1600e :-(
    The BMW that changed the wheels said there was some damage on the inside of the tyre and said it needed to be replaced. He also said that there was a tear in the front wall of the front tyre and that too needs to be replaced.
    Now the back tyre is not losing air and looks fine externally but I do see a tear in the side wall of the front tyre. The tyres new cost 350e and the BMW garage were really trying to sell me them.

My question is....My tyres are run flats so once they are inflated ok why should I change them. They are not like conventional tyres i.e. I wont get a blow out, if the tyres lose air I will get a warning light on my bmw and can then take them to a garage and have them replaced.

What do ye guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

It's not a 3 series coupe M Sport running on 19" wheels by any chance?.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 pyore

Yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Spill the beans padraig, whats the signifigance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

wow that is a real pain in the ass id say if the sidewall is cut it could deflate very fast and possibly damage your rims further i know it is very annoying to have to replace such costly tyres with some thread on them but it might be safer all round

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You bought this private I take it?

• Advertisement

The think is the RFTs dont deflate the side wall supports the tyre to allow you drive 200Km at 80Kmh. Which is enough of time to get home or drive to garage for tyre replacement

Yes I bought private. It turned out on the inspection that the wheels had welds in them already on the inside. Didnt spot this before I bought :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

pyore wrote: »
    Yes I bought private. It turned out on the inspection that the wheels had welds in them already on the inside. Didnt spot this before I bought :-(

Bummer dude! :(

phill106 wrote: »
    Spill the beans padraig, whats the signifigance?

Cracked wheels well known issue with these - was publicised on a UK consumer show a couple of years ago. AFAIK BMW (in the UK at least) were replacing them for free - not sure if they're still doing it, or whether they ever did it here. However, I'd say no chance of replacement if someone has been at them with a blowtorch :eek:

edit: and if you have tears in your sidewall, the tyre's gotta go!

Yeah I was informed (not by BMW but by a very help guy in www.discounttyres.ie ) about this and seen a Watchdog report on it on Youtube. However as you said teh welds fecked me over!

So back to original question do I just wait and replace the run flats when they actually get punctured?

• Advertisement

Is it possible to replace an BMW 3 M Sport '09 run flat tyres with normal tyres?
    I think I read somwhere that the suspension was tunes for run flats and replacing with normal tyres will have your dash flashing with warning lights?

Is it possible to replace an BMW 3 M Sport '09 run flat tyres with normal tyres?
    I think I read somwhere that the suspension was tunes for run flats and replacing with normal tyres will have your dash flashing with warning lights?

No problem replacing AFAIK - indeed probably recommended given the reputation of the E92 on 19"s for a tooth crackingly hard ride!

Funny enough the ride in the '09 model I have is not bad, maybe its because bmw have done more fine tuning on the sport suspension?

Will changing the typre to normai cause the computer on the bmw to go mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

just my 2cents but if run flats are too costly, my suggestion would be to put ordinary tyres on the car, and have a skinny spare strapped down in the boot.

would make financial sense to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Funny enough the ride in the '09 model I have is not bad, maybe its because bmw have done more fine tuning on the sport suspension?

Will changing the typre to normai cause the computer on the bmw to go mad?

no it won't cause any problems...you can put normal tyres on runflats but not the other way around..your ride will be a bit bumpier though as the suspension is tuned for runflats..

the lads at bmw-driver.net know their stuff as well,,handy site for bmw owners..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What model is it? I'd be thinking of staying with RFTs but dropping to 16" or 17" wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Mac 3

Pyore, PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

Runflats are for avoiding having to have or change a spare tyre if you get a puncture, but are restricted in terms of distance and speed and are meant to get you to a location to get a new tyre on. They don't mean just drive as long as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

This is an 09 car so it could still be under the two year warranty that applied in Ireland. If it was imported second-hand from Britain it will have a three year warranty which is still valid. That would be my first port of call.

Regarding other points raised: there is no wheel well in the boot because it is not designed for a spare wheel. (runflat tyres!). You could fit a spacesaver in the boot but if you had to change a wheel there would not be room for a road-wheel unless you took out all your luggage.

The dashboard warning lights would come on only if the replacement conventional tyre had a different radius. However you can re-set the monitering system and put off the warning lights using the left stalk on the steering column. It's in the driver's handbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

Wheelnut wrote: »
    This is an 09 car so it could still be under the two year warranty that applied in Ireland. If it was imported second-hand from Britain it will have a three year warranty which is still valid. That would be my first port of call.

Regarding other points raised: there is no wheel well in the boot because it is not designed for a spare wheel. (runflat tyres!). You could fit a spacesaver in the boot but if you had to change a wheel there would not be room for a road-wheel unless you took out all your luggage.

The dashboard warning lights would come on only if the replacement conventional tyre had a different radius. However you can re-set the monitering system and put off the warning lights using the left stalk on the steering column. It's in the driver's handbook.

Try some 18"s. 19 inch wheels on a coupe in Ireland is just a disaster. If you have space for a spare (space saver) wheel change to normal tyres they are cheaper and last longer and give a better ride.
    How do I know well the first move I made on my BM was to do this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

ya i have thought about that a few times but tyres for a 320d can be bought for 110 euro not much dearer than ordinary tyres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 healysa

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    no it won't cause any problems...you can put normal tyres on runflats but not the other way around..your ride will be a bit bumpier though as the suspension is tuned for runflats..

the lads at bmw-driver.net know their stuff as well,,handy site for bmw owners..

I recently took my car to the uk, 3series 08, I found a nail in my back tyre and needed a replacement on a Saturday.. I found only one garage in Birmingham that stocked RFT and 215 sterling for a replacement! The advice was when it's time to change swap the RFT for normal ones and buy the spare? I was quoted 560 sterling on a deal to swap them all over, so that's my plan for next year :)

dharn wrote: »
    ... tyres for a 320d can be bought for 110 euro not much dearer than ordinary tyres

Where can you get them at that price? Around here the price range seems to be €200 - €220.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

pa990 wrote: »
    just my 2cents but if run flats are too costly, my suggestion would be to put ordinary tyres on the car, and have a skinny spare strapped down in the boot.

would make financial sense to me anyway.

+1 Get rid of the RFT's

As well as being cheaper to repair/replace the ride quality will significantly improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Should have got a set of reps while your at it, I personally wouldn't drop 1600 on a couple of wheels. Get a spacesaver or alternatively you could get a puncture repair kit and a pump that would get you out of most difficulties.

I agree that runflats are horrible, in my case the car had Continentals which had no traction either. I was considering changing to conventional tyres but the boot of the 3 series E90 is too small for a space-saver, jack and tools. Almost by accident I bought a set of Kumhos and I was amazed, they transformed the car. They are Ecsta KU31 runflats and they are hard to tell from conventional tyres. So for the first time since I bought the car I am able to enjoy driving it, and I still have the "benefit" of runflats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Wheelnut wrote: »
    Where can you get them at that price? Around here the price range seems to be €200 - €220.

If it's a 205/55/R16 you can get them for that money. Was quoted that price from cambells garage in finglas...

If it's a 205/55/R16 you can get them for that money. Was quoted that price from cambells garage in finglas...

The size on mine is 225/45/17 (and that's the standard size that came on it), maybe that's the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Golfer2012

Hey folks,

just thought id let some people know, I didn't see it mentioned there.

I got a flat on my BMW today and it has run flat tyres, its my first flat since i bought the car, but I was told that if you put normal tires on a car that comes with custom run flat tyres that it can make your insurance null in void........since you have altered the spec of your car......

anyone else heard of this??? seems a bit nuts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Golfer2012 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

just thought id let some people know, I didn't see it mentioned there.

I got a flat on my 523 today and it has run flat tyres, its my first flat since i bought the car, but I was told that if you put normal tires on a car that comes with custom run flat tyres that it can make your insurance null in void........since you have altered the spec of your car......

anyone else heard of this??? seems a bit nuts?

who told you that ?

btw. i heard that the moon is made of cheese

Advertisement