Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths and Theoretical Physics Course Thread TR031 TR035

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

Anyone know anywhere with some good Algebraic Geometry notes? Unfortunately a certain lecturer's writing is illegible.

Not helped by not understanding algebraic geometry either. Should've done number theory. :pac:

Calin taught the course a couple of years ago and he has links to some nice notes here: http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~calin/teaching/AG.html

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ClovisI

Hey guys, I'm still in school and I was just wondering if any of you have ever heard of someone doing a Master's Degree in Engineering after the TP degree?

See I want to be an engineer but I also want a solid backround in maths (at least more solid than what they do in the engineering degree; the maths there seems to be only "Maths Methods"), since I love maths. I'm also interested in Theoretical Physics anyway but I don't see myself working in that background at all. So anyway I was wondering if it's possible to enter engineering after TP?

I'd like to leave Ireland to do my Masters' so if you know of anyone that went abroad to do it that would be great!:D (Especially France/USA/Englad)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭myfatherrsson

ClovisI wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm still in school and I was just wondering if any of you have ever heard of someone doing a Master's Degree in Engineering after the TP degree?

See I want to be an engineer but I also want a solid backround in maths (at least more solid than what they do in the engineering degree; the maths there seems to be only "Maths Methods"), since I love maths. I'm also interested in Theoretical Physics anyway but I don't see myself working in that background at all. So anyway I was wondering if it's possible to enter engineering after TP?

I'd like to leave Ireland to do my Masters' so if you know of anyone that went abroad to do it that would be great!:D (Especially France/USA/Englad)

Hey so I'm sort of considering that option at the moment. I'm in third year and went to the careers advisory service to see what my options were and there aren't that many...

While it is possible you're fairly limited into what you can apply for since most master's courses look for a B.Eng and not a B.Sc. There are two taught master's courses that I know of in Ireland that will accept a B.Sc. one is in UCD and the other in UCC (although I'm not so sure about the second one).

My advice is if you want to do engineering in the long term then go do that because whatever about the maths you'll be an engineer at the end of it. TP does give you a lot of options after college but it wont give you a professional engineering qualification.

I have no idea about foreign master's courses but I would say UK is your best bet there in terms of applicability. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

The only thing that I know of off hand, is an Aeronautical engineering course in Glasgow (I think?). You can get in with a science or maths course (TP).

I'm sure someone else will have a better answer as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ClovisI

Thanks guys :)

• Advertisement

Is it true that for the Geometry summer exam the first question we answer is worth 40%, the second is 30%, etc???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Is it true that for the Geometry summer exam the first question we answer is worth 40%, the second is 30%, etc???
    I don't think so, unless someone has extracted the secret of the marking scheme from Prof. Simms. It seems somewhat unlikely though. Why would the order in which you answer questions be important?

A few people who have had him before have said it, and a PhD student said he doesn't mark consistently and that if you're not doing so well on the exam he'll be much easier on the marking, but if you're doing well he's much stricter.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

A few people who have had him before have said it, and a PhD student said he doesn't mark consistently and that if you're not doing so well on the exam he'll be much easier on the marking, but if you're doing well he's much stricter.

Yes, Simms is truly a unique lecturer. It's something I've heard a number of people say, one person said he answered two questions and got 40%, so it sounds somewhat plausible given that Simms allows you to answer as many questions as you like.

I have some dim* memories (from all of two years ago) of him saying the rubric is intentionally vague such that he can be flexible about giving marks to people where they can demonstrate they deserve them. That is, it's not a case where only your top x questions matter, so if you can half do all the questions, it's in your interests to do so. It seems like a good idea in a way, though it must be a nightmare to mark.

*Do not take this as fact. This is not an official Simms statement re: the marking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 joyle

Hey, ive just done first year of TP and i felt i struggled a bit but i got a decent mark in the exams, does the course get any worse as you go on or is it managable, im thinking of switching to science and i want to get as much info as possible!

Any reply would be very helpful! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

joyle wrote: »
    Hey, ive just done first year of TP and i felt i struggled a bit but i got a decent mark in the exams, does the course get any worse as you go on or is it managable, im thinking of switching to science and i want to get as much info as possible!

TP gets significantly harder in 2nd year, if you're not prepared to put significantly more work than you did in first year, either change course, or be prepared to fail a few subjects.

I don't mean that in a dickish way, but just to prepare you for what's ahead. I put in an amount of work commensurate to what I did in first year, and I have several repeats now (going into 3rd year TP).

I put in an amount of work commensurate to what I did in first year, and I have several repeats now (going into 3rd year TP).

How much work did you put in in first year roughly?

So as we know Frolov asks the same summer exam every year bar a few formula changes or something. Does anyone know if his supplemential exams are the same as the summer in this respect?

And does anyone know what Derek Kitson's metric spaces supps are like?

Any info on the above?

Kinda freaking out about mechanics. If he keeps it to the usual paper I'll pass. If he doesn't well I'd rather not think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Any info on the above?

Kinda freaking out about mechanics. If he keeps it to the usual paper I'll pass. If he doesn't well I'd rather not think about that.

I can't imagine Frolov bothering with the effort of thinking up new questions. He basically told us pre summer exams that his exam would be similar to always, and (condescendingly as always) that he couldn't imagine how anyone could fail it, and then mentioned how people still do, and he hates having to write a supplemental exam.

Kitson will be like he usually is, which is to say, tough enough compared to some other lecturers, but not unfair.

I remember being taken aback by how hard TP was when I was in first year. It might just be a general "going from school to college" sort of thing, though. College was the first time I'd ever had to study really, so that was a bit of a struggle. I continued having to study for the rest of the degree, but I can't really hold that against it (in fact it is probably a good thing) and it never became unmanageable or anything. Not sure if that was the source of your difficulties though, so maybe this is no good to you.

Anyway, re: the difficulty: it does get harder each year, but any course should theoretically do that. In retrospect (just finished 4th year TP here) I think the jump from 2nd to 3rd year was the worst, but that's mostly because the physics suddenly got harder (also more interesting!). There are some pretty tricky courses in 2nd year maths (Advanced Mechanics in particular) but they are ultimately doable if you put the work in. I guess it's up to yourself though. If you're interested in and passionate about the subject, difficulty shouldn't be such a big deterrent (especially considering you said you did well in first year) imo, but TP to Physics isn't that big a jump content-wise anyway (just much less maths, but prospects afterwards are probably similar enough).

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭blagards

Any info on the above?

I had to repeat this when I was in second year (2 years ago) and it was pretty much the same as all the summer exams, so hopefully he just leaves it the same.

I remember being taken aback by how hard TP was when I was in first year. It might just be a general "going from school to college" sort of thing, though. College was the first time I'd ever had to study really, so that was a bit of a struggle. I continued having to study for the rest of the degree, but I can't really hold that against it (in fact it is probably a good thing) and it never became unmanageable or anything. Not sure if that was the source of your difficulties though, so maybe this is no good to you.

Anyway, re: the difficulty: it does get harder each year, but any course should theoretically do that. In retrospect (just finished 4th year TP here) I think the jump from 2nd to 3rd year was the worst, but that's mostly because the physics suddenly got harder (also more interesting!). There are some pretty tricky courses in 2nd year maths (Advanced Mechanics in particular) but they are ultimately doable if you put the work in. I guess it's up to yourself though. If you're interested in and passionate about the subject, difficulty shouldn't be such a big deterrent (especially considering you said you did well in first year) imo, but TP to Physics isn't that big a jump content-wise anyway (just much less maths, but prospects afterwards are probably similar enough).

Exactly an answer i was looking for! :) i think ill try stick at it, being able to do the maths from TP might be more useful after college rather trying to learn it all then!

Seeing as your finishing what sort of thing are you looking to do, keep studying or go look for a job, i keep getting asked what will i do after and i kinda want to see what sort of options i have! :)

Any info on the above?

Yeah, I can't imagine he'd change it much, I'm banking on it being more of the same too.

I'm more worried about complex, since there's less of a base of past exam questions to draw an inference from, I have no idea what questions he's most likely to ask...

• Advertisement

Yeah, I can't imagine he'd change it much, I'm banking on it being more of the same too.

I'm more worried about complex, since there's less of a base of past exam questions to draw an inference from, I have no idea what questions he's most likely to ask...

I'd say as long as you know the definitions and can do all the problem sets you'd be grand... That's all I knew for the summer exam and passed (by the skin of my teeth). That should get you through question 1 since he said there wouldn't be any proofs in that section. The only proof stuff you need for section 2 is the proof of the product rule/chain rule and that kinda stuff and the proof of the cauchy-riemann equations. The other sections have a lot more proofs but hey i suppose if you know all that its 50%... then just know at least the definitions and problems from the other chapters and you're set.

Also for metrics he said more than likely the result would be 100% exam so its very possible he'll do the same for complex... might be worth knowing.

Seeing as your finishing what sort of thing are you looking to do, keep studying or go look for a job, i keep getting asked what will i do after and i kinda want to see what sort of options i have! :)
    Currently I'm headed for more academia - I'm going to do a masters in maths in Cambridge for a year. This is a somewhat popular choice for TPs (there will be 3 from my class doing it) so perhaps unsurprising. There are a fair few continuing in academia, doing PhDs in TCD or masters elsewhere etc., largely in physics. Off the top of my head, I know someone is doing a masters in biomedical engineering and a few are doing a high performance computing masters, so it's not all pure physics or anything. Re: non-academia, someone else from my class is working in SIG now and I'm sure there are others doing similar-ish things, but that's all I know. Asking "what are you doing next year?" in fourth year is often not a good idea so I didn't poll my class on this.

To be honest, regarding post-college prospects I feel that TP has it better than experimental physics. Unless you want to go into very experimental physics or want the added experience in some specific field of the larger final year project that EPs do, I think TP gives most of the same physics-based opportunities that EP does, but also maths-based ones as well. That said, a lot of PhD programs etc. I've been looking at just ask for a degree in "physics, engineering, maths, or related disciplines" or whatnot, so the difference between TP and EP is really incredibly marginal unless you want to go into something very mathsy. In fact I'd say the difference is so small that your biggest concern should be "which one of these courses will I enjoy more?", if it wasn't already. : P

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭blagards

Well I started in TP, and switched to Maths after second year, and I'm working as a trainee actuary in Irish Life now. As Purplefistmixer said above there's people in finance and similar, not just from the Maths side but from TP too, it certainly keeps your options open. Another lad I know who did TP in Maynooth is also doing actuary now, and there's plenty of trading, trading analyst, risk analyst etc etc going for TP grads and the likes, on top of the more academic/sciency route.

So it definitely keeps your options open, there's very little you can't do with TP/maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mr. Maths

Any tips for someone who's looking to get TP schols this year?

I've a few bits on this on my web page. There's a wealth of resources for 2nd year material so theres no shortage of notes and stuff. Talk to a few 3rd/4th years who sat for it to get their advice but I think the best I can offer is to start as early as you can and put in the work from the word go.

Edit: few problems with my links, I'll fix them soon enough

I've a few bits on this on my web page. There's a wealth of resources for 2nd year material so theres no shortage of notes and stuff. Talk to a few 3rd/4th years who sat for it to get their advice but I think the best I can offer is to start as early as you can and put in the work from the word go.

Edit: few problems with my links, I'll fix them soon enough

You got schols in 3rd year right? I'm hoping to do the same this year (going into 3rd year)...any advice on that in particular? How did you find balancing studying for schols and studying 3rd year material simultaneously?

You got schols in 3rd year right? I'm hoping to do the same this year (going into 3rd year)...any advice on that in particular? How did you find balancing studying for schols and studying 3rd year material simultaneously?

Fixed those links.

It was tough. I was mulling over the decision for a while, I think it was around reading week that I decided to give it another shot.

I think I spent weekdays doing 3rd year stuff and weekends doing schols stuff and just jumped right into the inverse function theorem. But yeah despite the material being more familiar it was much tougher to find the time to sit down and do it. At that stage as well I was **** sick of the material and I had to spend all Christmas revising again, (I think I did one day of the Christmas holidays on my own modules).

So yeah you really have to decide if it's worth the time it's going to take. It will distract you from your own coursework which unfortunately actually counts for something this year and you can't afford to be wasting time on past material. If you were close the first attempt I'd say go for it otherwise think about it a while because it will only take that much more work.

Hope that helps

Fixed those links.

It was tough. I was mulling over the decision for a while, I think it was around reading week that I decided to give it another shot.

I think I spent weekdays doing 3rd year stuff and weekends doing schols stuff and just jumped right into the inverse function theorem. But yeah despite the material being more familiar it was much tougher to find the time to sit down and do it. At that stage as well I was **** sick of the material and I had to spend all Christmas revising again, (I think I did one day of the Christmas holidays on my own modules).

So yeah you really have to decide if it's worth the time it's going to take. It will distract you from your own coursework which unfortunately actually counts for something this year and you can't afford to be wasting time on past material. If you were close the first attempt I'd say go for it otherwise think about it a while because it will only take that much more work.

Hope that helps

Sound advice, I guess if I go for it I'll probably try and get as much of the tedious administrative stuff like compiling what I need to learn out of the way before college starts so I can just dive straight into it...

Haha, the Inverse Function Theorem, what a nightmare...I guess learning it's the Rubicon of going for maths/tp schols..

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

Haha, the Inverse Function Theorem, what a nightmare...I guess learning it's the Rubicon of going for maths/tp schols..

Now there's a change - when I did Schols (the slightly distant past) I was the only person in TP or Maths who bothered learning that...

• Advertisement

Now there's a change - when I did Schols (the slightly distant past) I was the only person in TP or Maths who bothered learning that...

Was gonna say would it not be madness going into schols without knowing the Inverse Function Theorem, but then I realised two things (depending on how distant the 'slightly distant past' is)...I guess firstly one had a lot more material to choose from (up till end of old Hillary Term), and secondly, with a paper for each subject, one had a lot more leeway to decide what they could leave out learning...

These days, with 2 subjects crammed into a 3 hour paper, seems you really need to make sure you know everything or else risk getting caught out badly...less exams sounds welcome but I'm really not sure I prefer the current system...

Advertisement