Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths and Theoretical Physics Course Thread TR031 TR035

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Figured I'd ask this hear instead of the schol thread.

So the schol exam in maths. How similar is it to homework problems/final exams?

I've been looking at old schol papers, and Real Analysis and Mechanics seem to be very much the same as homework/tutorials/theorems proved in class/definitions.

Is this a general thing for most of the modules?
    Regarding mechanics, I am disappointed you are not aware of the existence of this.

General exam advice: look at past papers. Some lecturers ask a lot of bookwork/repetitive questions which is evident when you do such analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Regarding mechanics, I am disappointed you are not aware of the existence of this.

I've seen that. Just wasn't sure if he'd be taking questions straight from it or what the story is. :o

I've seen that. Just wasn't sure if he'd be taking questions straight from it or what the story is. :o
    Expect some variations on a theme, but pretty much that's what you need to know. That said, mechanics (+methods) was my worst schol paper so maybe I don't know anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Have you been invited to the dropbox folder? There are Mechanics and Geometry notes in there that are very worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Such modesty there! You couldn't possibly be referring to your own lovely geom solutions, could you? :pac:

Maybe_Memories, as Fringe says, there's a dropbox folder with some useful notes that I made last year and it's been added to by loads of people over the course of the year. Send me a PM and I'll invite you to it. :)

• Advertisement

Also many of the maths students have notes on their personal webpages, if you look around.

Those webpages are ridiculously useful. So many helpful sets of notes, your own included! I should really get around to getting mine typed up.. Some day!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭luciemc

Have any of you applied for/gone on an erasmus or do you know any maths students who have? Google says it's possible within the maths department? I was thinking of applying to transfer to TCD Maths but a year in France is offered with the course I'm doing now and I'm not sure I want to give that up? There are links for further info on TCD's website but I can't access them as I obviously don't have a college username/password. Any would help appreciated! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Woah, the whole having personal web pages on which you share notes thing is awesome. It'd be nice if the arts block was nerdy enough to pick up that habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dabh

luciemc wrote: »
    Have any of you applied for/gone on an erasmus or do you know any maths students who have? Google says it's possible within the maths department? I was thinking of applying to transfer to TCD Maths but a year in France is offered with the course I'm doing now and I'm not sure I want to give that up? There are links for further info on TCD's website but I can't access them as I obviously don't have a college username/password. Any would help appreciated! :)

Two third-year students studied abroad on an ERASMUS exchange in 2011/12. Maybe complete up-to-date information on possible destinations is not available on the Web, or is difficult to locate. If you want further information, maybe you should consider emailing the School of Mathematics: mathdep@maths.tcd.ie

• Advertisement

Those third years had to pretty much set up the entire thing themselves though.

Surprised this thread isn't booming.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

We're all too busy studying for schols/curling ourselves into a little ball in the corner and crying ourselves to sleep

Ah schols... I'm dreading paper 3. Half tempted to leave out Groups or Metrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Oh god, can't wait for the fun of schols next year. :o

It's full of lolz.

Studying for things can be strangely enjoyable, or at least that's what I found when I was doing schols. Nothing like waking up in the middle of the night with the burning desire to prove that the pullback commutes with the differential.

Studying for things can be strangely enjoyable, or at least that's what I found when I was doing schols. Nothing like waking up in the middle of the night with the burning desire to prove that the pullback commutes with the differential.

I actually really enjoy studying mechanics and complex analysis. (despite hating the lectures)

Oddly enough with mechanics I understand the theory perfectly yet can't solve a lot of the problems. But I think the main reason for that is because in his solutions he'll have z=x^2 + y^2 and then differentiate that and square it, and it works out fairly nicely, as opposed to the actual problems where
    z=k(x^2 + y^2 -2x + 4y.) :pac:

But I think the main reason for that is because in his solutions he'll have z=x^2 + y^2 and then differentiate that and square it, and it works out fairly nicely, as opposed to the actual problems where
    z=k(x^2 + y^2 -2x + 4y.) :pac:
    Just complete the square, z=k ( (x-1)^2 + (y+2)^2 - 5 ), change variables x-> x-1, y->y+2, differentiate, same basic thing? Also there are solutions to the mechanics problems floating around that were done by students which may be more helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

Spend the better part of the last 2 days studying...the first 15 pages of Landau & Lifshitz...fml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Feel kinda sad. Just finished off my last Linear Algebra homework for the year ;_;.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

Feel kinda sad. Just finished off my last Linear Algebra homework for the year ;_;.

What, Linear Algebra is only a half year course?!

Us TSMs do the second part in second year.

I feel bad for TSM's having no Pete for the rest of the year.

I feel bad for TSM's having no Pete for the rest of the year.

Meh, we have him next year so no complaints :P

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Burkie.EXE

Don't feel too bad for them. They still have Donal next semester.

Frolov > Pete >> Donal.

Frolov: "So we get this. *massive equations with like a million partials*
    But this is obvious! :) "

Yeah I heard Frolov is like that, the Russian style of lecturing I heard somebody call it...

Ah Donal's great, I think I might just go to Analysis next semester even though I don't have it anymore.

In fairness to Frolov he's amazing, but a lot of the time I can't understand a word he says because he talks so quietly.

And fair play to him for setting practically the exact same exam every year.

• Advertisement

I'd probably die laughing if he completely changed the paper this year.. :pac: Although, seeing as a huge portion of your class would likely fail if that were to happen, I guess it's not that likely. Remember though, papers for this year (end of year as opposed to schols I mean) haven't been set yet, so don't count your chickens etc!

Advertisement