Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many unemployed on boards and what do you do to pass the day?

Options
  • 23-08-2011 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi,

I became unemployed recently and find myself using this site more often, among many other new less exciting hobbies!

Are there many people unemployed on boards and what do you spend your days doing now that the work has dried up?

By the way, if you think i'm 'oring for thanks, don't thanks me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Snacker wrote: »
    Hi,

I became unemployed recently and find myself using this site more often, among many other new less exciting hobbies!

Are there many people unemployed on boards (thank this is you are so we have an idea) and what do you spend your days doing now that the work has dried up?

Best thanks whoring attempt I've ever seen :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Fapping mainly :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Thank this comment if you think Justin Bieber sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Thank this comment if you are able to thank comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

I think the answer is in the question....

Spend the day on boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Not technically unemployed as I'm self employed,but not busy, trying to keep myself occupied , currently trying to teach myself google Sketch-up, from there, I'm going to move on to a cad package, I do hope to start another business soon, not sure if I would do it Ireland though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Sounds like a question the welfare man would ask.

So on that basis.......Looking for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Same as the rest of us employed ones - spend most of the working day on baords.ie then when it gets to lunch time there's no new threads to read!

Don't thank this comment.

I've only been fully unemployed for about 2 months now, because I finished college in May. During this time I've been getting over some issues that I had pushed to the side when I was working and in college. I also worked out more, met up with old friends and made new ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Snacker

Poly wrote: »
    Not technically unemployed as I'm self employed,but not busy, trying to keep myself occupied , currently trying to teach myself google Sketch-up, from there, I'm going to move on to a cad package, I do hope to start another business soon, not sure if I would do it Ireland though.

Good stuff I'm returning to education soon though so have been teaching myself dreamweaver web design off youtube!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I'm fully employed and spend most of my day on Boards.
    Just preparing myself for the worst.

OSI wrote: »
    If I was unemployed I would probably use Boards less than I do now.

*After hours answer* You have internet access? We're clearly giving the dole scroungers too much money if they can spend it browsing the internet! BURN THEM ALL!!!!!!

internets getting cut off tomorrow because cannot afford it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You got to look at the positives of it as well. There are a lot of things I would like to do, and not things that would cost money, but I simply don't have the time. If I was unlucky to be unemployed I would using the time to add some extra skills to my current skill set, and as I work in IT I would either get more involved in either some open social development or develop a few mobile apps. Anything that makes you more sell-able is worth while

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I open the fridge door far more often!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Shag all. But this week is my last full week was an unemployed dole leech. Next week i become a functioning member of society again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

thank this is you are so we have an idea

Know me not mean you what?
    Best thanks whoring attempt I've ever seen :pac:

I would thank the OP if I was a cryptologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

From next Monday I will be in paid employment again so I can pop into this thread every now and then to look down on all you dole loving parasites. Make myself feel so much better about myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Boards, reading, tv, computer, keep applying for jobs, chatting and meeting up with friends, going shopping, visiting people, go to the cinema, do something new, learn something new, do a bit of de-cluttering both mind, body and soul and the house, go out now and again, some exercise, listen to music, sleep a lot, babysitting, voluntary work, driving lessons, trips here and there. Just keep busy but try not to get bored even though I do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

When I was unemployed I ate, drank beer, walked, wanked, wanked, wanked and wanked. Now that I'm working I usually eat, drink and sleep. My job is about as challenging as yore ma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Paarse Krokodil

*Pretend you are in fact employed and complain about "dole scroungers"

*Speak out against any new government measures that might help people in the same situation as yourself

*Assert your superiority over people who lived beyond their means or bought overpriced houses during the boom

*Thank other posters doing the above

This is what most unemployed people do on here so therefore also what you have to do if you want to fit in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Various forums, play Dead Frontier, watch movies and make music. Also masturbate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

online pokerz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Trawl through threads looking for an oportunity to post 'Your Ma', or something as witty.

Put on around four stone.

Feel sad and lonely.

nuxxx wrote: »
    online pokerz

where u play? 888 is awful easy to make money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I chat on Skype to the girlfriend and other assorted people from the world, I read, i watch the latest american TV shows, i lurk on boards, i read the news and sometimes i go to the shop and get some excercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

where u play? 888 is awful easy to make money

Stars, heard the games on 888 were very soft tho, must check it out some time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Not unemployed as such, but mainly have a good workout on the treadmill and rower, then head to Starbucks and drink plenty of lattes, catch up on some reading, listen to the radio, then come on the net at night, watch tv, go to bed then around 7am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I was unemployed for about 9 weeks in 2009... it was panic stations at the time, because with the state of the industry that I work in, my family & friends had me unemployed for life/ packed off to Australia in their heads.

The period I spent unemployed was horrible. I didn't really experience the 'handout' stigma really, because after my dole claim was only processed after 8 weeks, and thereafter I got a job.

But what I do remember was the misery of waking up with nothing to do. There's only so many times you can go see the Carravagio in the National Gallery, or only so many times you can watch Home and Away, half dressed, eating cornflakes in your flat in the middle of the day. The motivation that unemployment strips you of can be personally devastating.

What's even more devastating is that this is particularly a problem of youth. People in their late teens and early 20s are probably more in need of mental and personal stimulation than any other adult age bracket, and I don't think we've fully realised the consequences of their personal development being compromised over a long time period.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thank this comment if you think the unemployed should try to make sure Time Looking for job online > Time spent on boards online

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Overheal wrote: »
    Thank this comment if you think the unemployed should try to make sure Time Looking for job online > Time spent on boards online
    Do you actually even grasp how many jobs there are online? There are only a limited number of hours in the day one can spend emailing CVs, because as you may have heard, vacancies are limited.

Advertisement