Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Motorbike

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Green Mile wrote: »
    I am being lured to a Honda Bros. I just need to find one that is restricted with low milage. I would rather not buy one from a courier as they would be ready to fall apart.

If you are looking at a BROS make sure to check the hub on the rear wheel. It needs a special tool to adjust the chain, but people will often just hit it with a screwdriver to adjust it and cause damage.

Avoid couriered bikes, it's grand saying a bike with high mileage might be fine if it was looked after, but couriers don't look after their bikes and thrash them (generalisation, but why even risk it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Green Mile

OP here,

Went up to look for at a bike over the weekend. I was so close to buying it. It was a Yamaha TDR 125. Looks big but is small and great for a learner. It was a 2006 with 13k miles.

I didn't buy it for two reasons. The seller wouldn't drop an extra €50 off the price to €1,100. Also the break discs weren't smooth. The rough discs would have destroyed the break pads. The seller said we can just sand them down but that seems dangerous as these discs heat up and could bend if I start reducing the thickness. The disc online look about €50 each so it I would rather get the bike for €1,000 even. It's a done deal if that's the final price but the seller seems very stern.

Heading out again to look at more bikes this weekend too. Maybe some more Yamaha's or CBF's.

I want the TDR though.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chocablock

Hey green mile, sent you pm. Can you have a look at it when you get chance. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Yamaha TDR 125. 2006 with 13k miles.
    I want the TDR though.

TDR's are a great starter bike - light enough to manage, big enough to go reasonable distances and reliable for a two-stroke. A friend of mine went all over the country on one without any hassle.

Having worked on a couple of them, I would recommend buying the cleanest, best-minded, lowest mileage example you can find.

Personally I would recommend this one from a dealer who will give a warranty (tell Derek I sent you, demand more discount...) and you can see its been serviced with new battery and tyres. Private second hand buys of learner bikes always result in some hidden gem which ends up costing €€€ and leaves a bad taste.

Watch for rust on the exhaust silencer (the back ones rot) and check for damage from being dropped.

Shiny side up now!

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

nice, dogsbox sell some of the cleanest bikes in the country, and Derek wont steer you wrong

• Advertisement

I was looking at more bikes, these 3 look good with a 3 month warranty! I can get 200 euro off all the quoted prices!

What do yous think?

YBR
    http://www.jpmotorcycles.ie/Details.aspx?ID=137702

YBR
    http://www.jpmotorcycles.ie/Details.aspx?ID=137753

2002 Honda Varadero 125
    http://www.jpmotorcycles.ie/Details.aspx?ID=150625

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I was looking at more bikes, these 3 look good with a 3 month warranty! I can get 200 euro off all the quoted prices!

What do yous think?

YBR
    http://www.jpmotorcycles.ie/Details.aspx?ID=137702

YBR
    http://www.jpmotorcycles.ie/Details.aspx?ID=137753

2002 Honda Varadero 125
    http://www.jpmotorcycles.ie/Details.aspx?ID=150625

I currently have a 05 varadero. I love it as a learner bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

Sorry just wondering roughly what kind of speed would a factory restricted gsxr 600 do? Or any bike under 33bhp for that matter?

pugw wrote: »
    Sorry just wondering roughly what kind of speed would a factory restricted gsxr 600 do? Or any bike under 33bhp for that matter?

Any restricted bike will do 70-80mph and wind resistance prevents it doing a whole lot more. A sportsbike with a decent fairing will go faster but you'll need to be small and light. The biggest difference is HOW the bike is restricted - a modern GSXR will be restricted at the ECU and an older one will be restricted by reducing the airflow through the carbs. This affects the acceleration characteristics and top speed. I think carb restricted bikes are smoother - so it depends what you are going to be using the bike for.

A separate thread might get you some more answers.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I just bought a Honda Varadero 125 three weeks ago. I love it :) I do miss the power of my 500cc bike, but I gain in other areas like mpg, big size, comfort and reliability.

I bought mine off adverts.ie for ALOT less than http://www.jpmotorcycles.ie/Details.aspx?ID=150625

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2611407 This bike is really nice. There are a few in Dublin but I didn't like any of them.

• Advertisement

OP here again,

In a nut shell, I've bought a motorbike yesterday.

Went into JPMotors and said the 2002 Honda Varadero is a bit expensive. The guy (Pat) said he agrees but he can't reduce that particular bike because of the price he paid for it.

Anyway, there is about 3 times more bikes in JPMotors than advertised on their website. They have a garage near the shop where there's so many bikes parked. There was a few bikes that suited me. Pat was so honest and explained which bikes are good, which bikes will cause problems down the line etc. He showed me a 2007 Honda Varadero with 11,000 miles and said I could have it for 1,500 euro.

Th bike just came in and was very rough looking. The fella who traded the bike in said the bike was nearly stolen. Some guys broke into his shed, cut the ignition, wheeled it down the road, mirrors had been taken off and the bike was eventually abandoned when the thiefs couldn't start it.

Pat in JPMotos said he'd fix up everything, anything that looked like it might break over time, he'd just replace it with a new one before giving it to me. He said he'd give me a 6 month guarantee on the whole bike which covers labour.

Any guarantee is great and is something you wouldn't get buying off a private seller.

Honestly, I would so highly recommend anyone who is buying or trading a bike to pop into JPMotors there on Pearse Street, Dublin.

Deposit is now paid, going to collect the bike after the Christmas period.

I'm going to take photos and make a short video for my youtube channel when I have time. I will post photo's here if anyone is interested.

Looking forward to all this now

K

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

pugw wrote: »
    If it is a 600 restricted to 33bhp you will get just shy of 160kph. If it's a bike that's popular with beginners like an sv650 it will likely be restricted via the ecu, the likes of the gsxr600 can be very hard to find a restricted ecu for and they're very expensive so most are restricted via washers in the air box and a throttle stop which is a pain to drive with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 duboce

@Green Mile

Well done getting a motorbike

Reading the thread you sound like you will be OK on a motorbike and the bike you choose should be a great bike to start off on

A while back I bought a top box in JP's and found them to be very nice down to earth guys who were a pleasure to do business with, that's something I can not say for a lot of shops in the Dublin area. You may hear of cheaper bikes elsewhere but buying from a shop you have a guarantee and can call back to them for advice afterwards.

On the downside, you picked a bad time to be getting on the road with all the black ice around, don't take any chances it's not like driving a car on ice. However in a few months you will be fine and look forward to enjoy fine weather in the spring and summer.

Best of luck on the bike

Very nice buy Green mile. I almost had a 2007 125 for close to that price but the seller decided not to sell it. Never came across a bargain like it again.

As above, be careful out there! Even easing off the throttle too quickly is enough to make your rear end going out on icy roads, not to mention the muppet cage drivers that could slide into you. My estate is lethal this time of the year. No sun on it to defrest the ice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

just read through the thread, congrats on getting the bike!...

i might have over looked it if someone has mentioned it before but just in case, you cant sit your full "A" licence on a 125 bike (something i found out 2 weeks before my test), but if you do a pretest with almost anyone you can usually rent there 250cc school bike for the test, and once its passed you can happily sit out your restriction timer on the 125 or move up in size as it suits.

correct

if you turn up for your motorcycle practical test (they dont specify A or A1, just 'motorcycle test' iirc), its the cc of the bike your are tested on that will determine the license you get if you are successful. If you do it on a bike <125cc, you will get a 'full A1', which is asbout as much use as a chocolate teapot - lets you go on motorways and carry pillions, no increase in bike size.

Hi,

Thank you all for your comments and advise and well wishes.

I only intend to start riding at start of spring. I only bought the bike now in December as it's a buyers market at this time of the year as motorcycles don't sell too well (especially lower powered bikes) during the winter.

I have another question which I am sure you guys can help me with?

On my motorcycle provisional license, I am covered in category A which means I can drive equal or less than 25kW.

Will I be able to ride a rented 250cc when doing my full license test (which wont be for another while yet)

I take it the 25kW well covers the 125cc bike and a 250cc yeah?

Also, I've noticed that I need to have a cert for the IBT before I apply for a full license. This cost 600euro and is mandatory. Yikes, that's an expense I didn't foresee.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭sleepysniper

Hi,

Thank you all for your comments and advise and well wishes.

I only intend to start riding at start of spring. I only bought the bike now in December as it's a buyers market at this time of the year as motorcycles don't sell too well (especially lower powered bikes) during the winter.

I have another question which I am sure you guys can help me with?

On my motorcycle provisional license, I am covered in category A which means I can drive equal or less than 25kW.

Will I be able to ride a rented 250cc when doing my full license test (which wont be for another while yet)

I take it the 25kW well covers the 125cc bike and a 250cc yeah?

Also, I've noticed that I need to have a cert for the IBT before I apply for a full license. This cost 600euro and is mandatory. Yikes, that's an expense I didn't foresee.

K

The 25kW is related to the BHP of a bike, not the CC, but yeah generally all 125's will fall below the 33BHP limit for restricted riders, and some 250's will too, but it really depends on the Power to Weight ratio, any cc sized bike can be ridden by a restricted learner as long as the bikes power is restricted. Engine size (CC) doesn't really come into it, only for insurance purposes I suppose.

Thanks sleepysniper, I understand the Power to Weight ratio in terms of bhp.

What inchiuvatu & Wossack are saying is:

• you can't sit your full "A" licence on a 125 bike
    • its the cc of the bike you are tested on that will determine the license you get
    My question really is: Can I rent a 250cc bike for the tests with an provisional A license (i.e. which so happens to be 25kW)?

Thanks

K

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

I did my test on an ISM cb250. I failed the first time though, I wasn't used to the bike and I was too nervous. Try get a pretest or some lessons on the same bike if you are going to rent it.

The second time I did the test I did it on a restricted CBR600; they didn't check the restriction cert though.

• Advertisement

• its the cc of the bike you are tested on that will determine the license you get
    My question really is: Can I rent a 250cc bike for the tests with an provisional A license (i.e. which so happens to be 25kW)?

Thanks

K

yea its a bit daft - the combination of cc requirements and power (kW) restriction is a bit confusing

yes, you can rent a 250cc bike for the test, and if you pass you will get a 'full A' license

note that not all 250cc bikes are less then 25kW - the cb250 is, the cbr250, is not. The bike you'll typically rent from a tester will no doubt be perfect for the test. I'd try and do a pretest on the same bike you're going to be tested on also.

sf80 wrote: »
    I did my test on an ISM cb250. I failed the first time though, I wasn't used to the bike and I was too nervous. Try get a pretest or some lessons on the same bike if you are going to rent it.

The second time I did the test I did it on a restricted CBR600; they didn't check the restriction cert though.

yea, they dont ask to see any form of restriction (or insurance iirc) - but they do get you to sign a document saying that you are fully legal to ride the bike you've brought.

Make sure the bike is taxed, all the lights work (both not guaranteed for a rental bike...!), and wear your L tabbard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Thanks

K

The simple answer is: Yes.

P.C. wrote: »
    The simple answer is: Yes....

...but try and get a few miles done on the rental bike so you are used to it before taking the test.

Whoever you do your CBT with will rent a suitable bike to you.

'cptr

Op here,

Bike bought over the weekend. I have attached some pics.

Next step is to get insurance (next payday) and buy some biker gear like, boots, jacket, tattoos etc etc

I was out on my road yesterday going up and down, shifting gears is easy enough, same concept of a car. I found it interesting that when you relax the accelerator, the bike breaks slightly because the machine is so light. Never noticed anything like that on a car before because of the weight.

I will upload a youtube video shortly. Feel free to subscribe to me.

My channel is kieranross05

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I found it interesting that when you relax the accelerator, the bike breaks slightly because the machine is so light.

Engine braking. :p

Don't forget to touch the brakes so that the cars behind you know that you are slowing down. :)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Excellent news GM, well wear

Is that Varadero a 125cc ?

Good luck with the new bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

The best of luck with your bike. Sure this winter is like summer so get out and enjoy the ride!

• Advertisement

Hi,
    I've finally managed to make a youtube video.

Here's the link to my channel. Please feel free to subscribe.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kieranross05/videos

There is a cool community that records their bike trips and they talk about bikes and other interesting things. Kinda like a video blog. They call it Vlog. Anyone can do it.

I bought a camera for my helmet and I'm going to start vlogging shortly. I plan to travel to a few places in Ireland and talk about its history etc. I think that kind of thing would make a good vlog.

Anyway, if anyone is interested. just check out the link.

(I'm expecting a few negative comments etc lol)

Advertisement