Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Motorbike

Options
  • 23-08-2011 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

I have always wanted to buy a motorbike and I think i'm just going to go for it and buy one.

I'm 25, male with a full car licence and i'm looking to buy a something under 1000cc.

Can anyone please spoon-feed me with info on how I go about doing this? My understanding is, I have to get a provisional bike licence (so I have one for the bike and I retain my full licence for the car)

In order for me to get the provisional, It's just a theory test right or have things changed recently?

In order to go from a provisional to a full, I will need like 10 receipts of lessons. Is this correct???

Thank you in advance.

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Hi,

I think you are correct in your ideas about the procedure. Theory test, provisional, lessons, test.

Your provisional license will restrict you to a bike which is 33bhp or less, usually that will be a bike around 250cc (some others up to 600 aswell). You can get a larger bike restricted, but you will pay a lot to insure them.

Once you pass the full test your full bike license will also be restricted for the first 2 years.

You might was to revise your expectations of something under 1000cc to "something in or around 250cc".

From my experience you will want to change the bike pretty soon, stick to the smaller bikes at the start until you have some experience.

Ring around the insurance companies to get quotes before you buy a bike, there can be a huge difference in price even if the bikes are about the same size.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

To answer your main question there, you will < probably > have to do a theory test, depending on when you last did one for the car or another license category. The main change is that you will have to get IBT- initial basic training. It will cost a good few hundred quid. There is also the issue of the training and assessment regime that existed before IBT became compulsory this year. If you find a trainer and complete IBT with him- get him to incorporate a "grade 2" assessment into the deal. It'll save you a fortune on insurance.

IMO, you really have to get your "Learner's Permit" and then contact trainers about doing your IBT/ 'grade 2' on a school bike. Get your own bike and insurance afterwards.

Seriously, though- have a read the learner's thread.

sf80 wrote: »
    ...You might was to revise your expectations of something under 1000cc to "something in or around 250cc"...

My first bike as a novice was a restricted Bandit 600 which I got at 26. 5 months later, i bought and restricted the GSX1400 which I still have.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Green Mile

Cheers guys, I will invest my time in the theory test again for a motorbike. I have no problem about it being a 250cc as I am a beginner after all.

I got the full license less than a year ago. Would I still have to do the theory test again for the bike?

Just to conclude.
    After I get the licence, it is then I can get a trainer to get me through a "grade 2 assessment"

When I complete the "grade 2 assessment" & IBT.

Buying the bike is the easy part I guess (with assistance from experienced peeps).

Should I expect the insurance to be mental on a 250cc. Say the bike value was €2,500? Who best to go through? Aon perhaps? Would Carol-Nash consider me?

Thanks again,

K

Try them all- (Carole Nash, Quinn, Aon and Adelaide) on a couple of sample bikes. Ask them to quote on the basis of having and not having a grade 2.

I would suggest trying a;

1) Honda CBF250 (which is learner legal out of the box)
    2) A 'factory restricted' Suzuki GSXR600
    3) A Yamaha Fazer 600 with an aftermarket restrictor kit
    4) A Kawasaki Vulcan VN800 (which probably doesn't need to be restricted)
    5) A Honda CB400

This will give a good cross section of how you're fixed.

What kinds of bikes do you actually fancy? Sportsbikes, cruisers, adventure, muscle bikes? Go mad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Green Mile wrote: »
    Should I expect the insurance to be mental on a 250cc. Say the bike value was €2,500?

I don't think the bike value is a big factor; each of the companies will have a rating scale and a rating they assign to each bike. You could have a Honda CB250 that's a 2 on the scale, and a CBR250 that's a 5. The different companies might rate bikes differently, so definately shop around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Hi Green mile.

I think your desire to want a motor bike comes from your even stronger desire to be ****ed by a man. If this is the case I say go for it. Your only young once my friend.;)

Hope this helps.
    :confused:
    Whats this supposed to mean?

Should I expect the insurance to be mental on a 250cc. Say the bike value was €2,500? Who best to go through? Aon perhaps? Would Carol-Nash consider me?
    There are only four companies so may as well try all of them once you decide on the right bike. Quinndirect and Adelaide are the other two.

At 25 insurance shouldn't be too bad. I'd reccomend restricting a bigger bike. Bandit/Fazer 600 are ideal for beginners. Since you're restricted for a minimum of 2.5 years you may as well get something you'll be happy/comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭sleepysniper

sf80 wrote: »
    You can get a larger bike restricted, but you will pay a lot to insure them.

No he wont, esp. @ that age, as long as its not R1's or 'Blades hes lookin at that is!;)

I was 22 on a Prov with no exp. and got a v decent quote from quinn on a Bandit 600 @€;750.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

AgileMyth wrote: »
    :confused:
    Whats this supposed to mean?

Bit odd alright.

• Advertisement

No he wont, esp. @ that age, as long as its not R1's or 'Blades hes lookin at that is!;)

I was 22 on a Prov with no exp. and got a v decent quote from quinn on a Bandit 600 @€;750.

+1

My first insurance quote was €500 ood IIRC and when I upgraded to the GSX1400, they hit me for €100 extra. Downright reasonable, I thought, for my dream bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

GM, read this thread to get alot of the basic questions answered.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Troll banned and thread cleaned

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

hi greenmile - i have my bike provisional now and like you had a full car license. But I didn't have to do theory test - just went into tax office with form filled out and my license and some pics and got my provisional license.
    as for 1000cc - insurance would be hell that and the fact bike needs to be restricted - would be a shame to do so to such a bike. Start off small and work your way up.
    as for insurance - quinn were the only ones I dealt with that would accept a non factory restricted bike (aka the bike was restricted after she left the factory) - mine being a cb400 super4 (and being 28 and a girl didn't help too much lol). As for aon and so forth - again the restriction certs mean nothing unless the bike was factory restricted (just did all this withinlast 6 weeks).
    I would recommend after your IBT and so forth, do grade assements - the higher the grade the better - I'm on my bike now a month, but got my grade 4 (the lower of the grades) the week after I got her and my insurance dropped by over €100, so the higher you go the better for discounts.

best of luck and let us know how you get on :)

I really appreciate all the feedback I am getting from my query. Everyone has been helpful.

I am going to go to the tax office during next week to get the ball in motion. Then I'm going to book into doing the ITB and ask about grading.

I am looking forward to this now. Also looking at some CB250's on donedeal, they are affordable but are more than 10 years old. This doesn't really bother me though as I would enjoy fixing it up (i'm not a mechanic but enjoy researching on forums)

I think it makes sense to start on the CB250, the online quote from quinn was only €800 per year which is a lot less than I thought.

I also have to consider buying bike equipment so I have to weigh all the costs. It's also not a good thing the fact we are going into the winter but sure it's winter every day in Ireland.

Thank you all again.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭upgrade

I really appreciate all the feedback I am getting from my query. Everyone has been helpful.

I am going to go to the tax office during next week to get the ball in motion. Then I'm going to book into doing the ITB and ask about grading.

I am looking forward to this now. Also looking at some CB250's on donedeal, they are affordable but are more than 10 years old. This doesn't really bother me though as I would enjoy fixing it up (i'm not a mechanic but enjoy researching on forums)

I think it makes sense to start on the CB250, the online quote from quinn was only €800 per year which is a lot less than I thought.

I also have to consider buying bike equipment so I have to weigh all the costs. It's also not a good thing the fact we are going into the winter but sure it's winter every day in Ireland.

Thank you all again.

K

Just found this thread,I am thinking of buying a bike myself for use whenever we get a dry day, I rode bikes years ago and was an ok rider but am wondering if i'm crazy now to go back to it,it's been 20 years since i rode one and the road is alot busier and more dangerous now,but still have the urge to get a bike again,there is nothing like the feeling of freedom on the open road.
    This crap with licences is ridiculous,sorry i didnt get a full licence for a bike yrs ago when it was much simpler.
    does anyone have an idea what the best road bike would be round the 600cc mark,is it alot of hassle to get the licence?

Hi Guys,

I just called the MotorTax office to ask about a provisional. It appears I need to sit a theory test again to cover the motorcyle catigory. My current full licence only covers a car and a tractor but not a motorbike.

So I have to book the theory test to include the motorbike categories and then submit it with two photo's and a copy of my full car license to the motor tax office, they then send me the provisional for the bike.

Grrr, I thought it would be a bit easier.

I'll keep you all updated if interested in my quest.

K

Hi,

I just wanted to update people and let you know how I got on with the process of buying a motorcycle.

I went into the Motor Tax office today with the Provisional Learners Application form, 2 passport sized photo's and my Full Car License.

I was expecting the guy to inform me I have to sit the theory test again the covers the motorcycle category, but what he did say was: "That's 15 euro please"

Sorted :) I just have to wait to get the license in the post now. After I get it, the next step is to buy a bike. 125 or 250 cc.
    Looking forward to all this now.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Hi,

I just wanted to update people and let them know how I got on with the process of buy a motorcycle.

I went into the Moto Tax office today with the Provisional Learners Application form, 2 passport sized photo's and my Full Car License.

I was expecting the guy to inform me I have to sit the theory test again the covers the motorcycle category, but what he did say was: "That's 15 euro please"

Sorted :) I just have to wait to get the license in the post now. After I get it, the next step is to buy a bike. 125 or 250 cc.
    Looking forward to all this now.

K

I think that's less to do with "how it should be done" and more to do with incompetent staff. Interesting none the less.

I think that's less to do with "how it should be done" and more to do with incompetent staff. Interesting none the less.

Jes must try that,all they can say is no,plead ignorance,the theory test is just a money making racket,i have the cd and taking practice tests,stupid bloody questions on it,just trying to catch you out and extract another 40 euro for a retest,typical bull**** in this country
    Just a point and I'm not being racist,but the foreign taxi drivers i see around here,seem to have no clue even of the basic rules of the road,i wonder do they have to go through this crap,same as us Irish mugs

great wee country all right

• Advertisement

Don't take me up wrong, the fact I'll be getting the license without doing the theory test again (i'm currently have a full car license) for a bike doesn't mean I'll be a wreckless driver. I do plan to get 10 or so lessons before I ride out.
    I'm actually thinking this is in fact the procedure as I do have an email from the Tax Office outlining to just go into the tax office with the form, photos and money. So that's two officials from the office allowed this.
    I think you have to get a number of lessons with Receipts before you apply for the full bike lessons.

Needless to say,,, I'm happy I didn't get hit with the bureaucracy and the red tape of the system.

I suggest others to do the same before the system changes yet again and gets tighter.

K

I'm going to try it 2moro morning and see what they say,i'll post back 2 let u know,i hear the theory test is changing again in october,more red tape from our dear civil service.
    i have a full licence for years and have driven all over the world,only in this banana state wud u find nonsense like this.
    i also have alot of years experience on bikes,just looking forward do doing a few runs if we get some weather next summer,
    take her handy out there

Hi, did you get your bike on the road, i got my licence and have the ibt and grade 2 training done,
    thinking of buying a honda cb500s or a cruiser,
    the cruiser doesnt handle as well as the road bike but it looks the dogs bolox

Thank you all again.

K

My license came by post very quick. It only covers me up to 33bhp.

I haven't bought a bike yet! Two things are holding me back!
    Winter and the prices.
    I want a 250 cbr but they can cost about 2,500 euro.
    The 125 cbr or cbf's are only about 1,000 euro but if I bought a 125, I'd probably be unsatisfied with it's power.

It has been a very expensive month for me so I need to get my finances back in order.

The weather is getting worse, I might hold out until late Feb but will buy before then if a gem comes my way.

If anyone knows anyone selling, please send me an adverts.ie link

I haven't bought a bike yet! Two things are holding me back!
    Winter and the prices.
    I want a 250 cbr but they can cost about 2,500 euro.
    The 125 cbr or cbf's are only about 1,000 euro but if I bought a 125, I'd probably be unsatisfied with it's power.
    Have you thought about getting a 400cc bike? You'd have to restrict it if it isn't already but there seems to be cheap ones coming up all the time.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2251395
    Just an example, I know nothing about that bike..

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

green mile - theres only one bike that's a V Star or Drag Star Yamaha 650 Learner legal - check it out...... I've got one and am just at the stage of sorting the test and insurance also - nb: as a bike like this is a cruiser not good for the twisties....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Have you thought about getting a 400cc bike? You'd have to restrict it if it isn't already but there seems to be cheap ones coming up all the time.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2251395
    Just an example, I know nothing about that bike..

Agreed. Something like a Super Four (CB400) or Honda Bros would be ideal for someone starting off.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

upgrade wrote: »
    Just found this thread,I am thinking of buying a bike myself for use whenever we get a dry day, I rode bikes years ago and was an ok rider but am wondering if i'm crazy now to go back to it,it's been 20 years since i rode one and the road is alot busier and more dangerous now,but still have the urge to get a bike again,there is nothing like the feeling of freedom on the open road.
    This crap with licences is ridiculous,sorry i didnt get a full licence for a bike yrs ago when it was much simpler.
    does anyone have an idea what the best road bike would be round the 600cc mark,is it alot of hassle to get the licence?

I only got back onto a bike after a 15-year break and I only wish I'd done it earlier. It actually is as the saying goes 'you never forget how to ride a bike'! I just got fed up with being stuck in traffic and paying through the nose for parking. Fortunately I still have my full license (which I did back in Germany in the 80's and it doesn't expire), so didn't have to do any tests.

So just go for it and get a bike - you won't regret it!

I think the 400 cc that is restricted is the best choice actually. I will be a learner and I don't want to kill myself.
    I'd rather have a 400cc when driving 80kph (probably max speed) than driving a 125cc at 80kph as the 125cc bike will struggle to keep up with the demand. What do yous think?

I am being lured to a Honda Bros. I just need to find one that is restricted with low milage. I would rather not buy one from a courier as they would be ready to fall apart.

I'm also gonna wait until after Christmas when I know there wont be snow and ice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

wouldnt be concerned about mileage, year, courier use etc, just buy a straight one on its own merits. It could be 6 months old, with 20 miles on it, and it could be in worse shape then a 10 year old couriered bike :)

Advertisement