Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderen day reletionships....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

It's the facebook thing thats definately the issue. So much can be mis-read be it photos, messages, even "likes" on someones status. I've seen friends particularly girls I have to say, go to pieces because some female friend of their bf had a normal boring status like "........film is unreal," liked by a girl, and the comparisions of is he cheating, omg she's way prettier than me, she's trying it on for sure," begins.

the insecurities are shocking. People can be anyone they want online. Facebook is no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Not really. If you love someone you love them. If social networks are having an impact on your relationship, maybe it wasnt too strong to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Galvasean wrote: »
    OOhhhh *stalky stalky* :)

I recall I was seeing a girl not too long ago and I really didn't want to do the whole status 'seeing someone/in a relationship' thing, for the very reason that I think it's more trouble than it's worth. So, I eventually relent from her pestering, so now Facebook acknowledges we're 'in a relationship'. I think I got 4 comments on mine. About 40 on hers, mostly, "I'm so happy for you!!!! xoxoxo"
    Just over 24 hours later she dumped me well n' proper. Also blocked me on Facebook.
    She was an odd one...

The facebook thing is hilarious/incredibly cringeworthy. I am on it (handy for keeping up with college friend etc. that I can't visit as often anymore or who have emigrated) and the ex wanted me to put up the whole relationship status thing when we got together. I was reluctant as it's nobodys business but our own and I find the whole "announcement" idea kinda embarrassing. Anyways, he thought it would be nice and I could tell he was well meaning so I did it. When we broke up he deleted all of my friends for no apparent reason and I had to go to the bother of taking the relationship status thing down. It's just so infantile. Regardless of how well meaning the next guy is, if he suggests it, it's gonna be a no from me. I don't need the world knowing what I'm up to.

For those of us on facebook, I think we nearly all know one person who posts the full details of the fight they're having with a bf/gf/ex at one point or another. It's utter attention seeking. And the liking of those terrible groups Little Acorn mentioned! She has it down to a t!

As for the insecurity issue, like others said, it's a very unattractive trait.You either trust the person or you don't, and if they are acting out in a way that you disagree with then you should break up with them. You can't control other people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

My husband and I do find email useful but the good old hand written love letter is almost a thing of the past now :( We have found video calling from our phones and then skype useful when we are apart so there are some advantages of new technology but people who put every last detail of their relationship status online are going too far in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Thread title should be changed to 'Relationships with Social Networking'.
    It's perfectly possible to have a modern day relationship without the retartitude of Facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭mum2be

CathyMoran My husband and I do find email useful but the good old hand written love letter is almost a thing of the past now frown.gif We have found video calling from our phones and then skype useful when we are apart so there are some advantages of new technology but people who put every last detail of their relationship status online are going too far in my opinion.

The amount of information people willingly put up on sites such as Facebook and Boards is scary. I presume you all know how easy it is to follow someone on Boards or Facebook? It's seriously easy to find out about people, their family background, children's names, jobs, where they live, likes, dislikes, history, etc.. Even on this site, where people register with anonymous names, they upload pictures of themselves and their children. I think it's crazy and reflects the self obsessed nature of people today. Is there nothing private anymore? What do people get out of posting mundane updates about their lives on a daily and sometimes hourly basis? Do we really need to know that they are now 'in a relationship' or that the coffee from a particular cafe is great. I really don't understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

I think alot of people in this country are more in love with the idea of the person than the person itself. Or even in love with their online persona in some sense. Anyone I know who fancies someone would trawl through their pics on facebook but to me that's only creating a false idea of the person. In all honesty if your not the happiest when your with the person then what's the point?

• Advertisement
Advertisement