Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic **This Thread Now Closed For Business**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I remember one season Villa were going grand then MON brought in Heskey for some reason & soon after it went downhill.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I feel like I should quote a Helix post on the topic of MON but this isnt the soccer forum so I wont go overboard on the detail and say that it wasnt neccesarily the spending it was the waste once it was spent with players like Beye picking up 40k a week to never play and the fact that there was so little return on much of the money spent NRC for example signed for 8.5m and left for free (just two examples I know but we could go on for ever).

The Heskey thing was whe it all started to go wrong for MON & Villa, we were actually well ahead of Arsenal in the chase for CL football (not that most Villa fans really expected CL football or anything) and then to accommodate the great Ivanhoe changed our formation and suddenly started losing. Never recovered from that and Villas chance to capitalise on the big money they had spent was gone as City / Spurs grew as a force and we eventually fell back down the pecking order.

On the young player thing Villa just won the Next Gen series beating Chelsea in the final and have a core of very talent Irish youth in that side who id love to see playing Premiership football in the next few years

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Villa are one of those teams I kind of always figured would be around. Never really challenging for first, but certainly finishing in the upper half of the league, and perhaps pushing for the Euro spots. Then again, I thought that about Bolton Wanderers too :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I know waste went on, and as an outsider I wouldn't be as emotive and obviously more inclined to look past mistakes. Heskey was a young man with O'Neill at Leicester and he thought something of real value existed in the lad and it was a genuine mistake.

The big problem I suppose was what happened after O'Neill left, some pretty clueless management of the club went on at a high level.

Lambert was a good choice of manager and I think he has a good chance of keeping Villa up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Joe Schmidt gets the job.

Really don't want to built up excessive excitement but really looking forward to what'll come of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Tonights game is so much better than the Qpr, reading match.

Weimann is class, sorry BH but I can't see Villa hanging onto him for long.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Tonights game is so much better than the Qpr, reading match.

Weimann is class, sorry BH but I can't see Villa hanging onto him for long.

tbh the same could be said for almost any quality player at Villa atm, see Benteke and umm...

dont know if I can physically last till the end of this match as itl be 5am by the time its over but jaysus its an interesting one to watch, bet it's good for a Neutral. Villa want to be in the Prem next year thats for sure, wont see any Villa players laughing at the final whistle if they cant keep this going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

V good game so far.

There shall be some mighty fine players up for grabs from the bottom three this year. QPR, Reading and ALL the teams with one foot in that third spot all have some decent talent who will surely get picked up.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    There shall be some mighty fine players up for grabs from the bottom three this year. QPR, Reading and ALL the teams with one foot in that third spot all have some decent talent who will surely get picked up.

Would be loathe to go near any of QPR's mercenaries tbh. Haven't exactly covered themselves in glory this season.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

QPR always deserved to go down, purely for giving chris samba an £100k p/w contract. Utter madness.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Just happy Arry failed. Villa are tearing Bardsley a sunder(land).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Why are belgium producing all these super young players... give us a few will ya

Benteke hat-trick 5-1, Villa now have the same GD as Wigan and Newcastle too and it's not over yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Kind of happy to see Villa take Di Canio down a peg or two but a quiet week for Benteke would have really helped my FF team. :(

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Have a new job and am in the market for a new laptop. Any advice guys? Was thinking of picking up a cheap enough pre-owned Macbook online.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Have a new job and am in the market for a new laptop. Any advice guys? Was thinking of picking up a cheap enough pre-owned Macbook online.

If you want something reliable and gonna need something to do more than view boards and YouTube then get one, you really can't go wrong with them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm not a fan of buying pre-owned or display-model electronics. They've already got a year or two on the clock and in my experience, give you problems and need replacing after a year or so.

It depends what you need it to do. If you're looking for something low-processing, like word etc, ie a facebook machine, get a netbook? Adverts are selling them 2nd hand from 150-200 but for £175 (€207) you can buy a new one from Amazon.co.uk.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

51817ccc76e078-84547287

fist-pump-baby.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭cena

just got a rota for the estate telling me I have to cut the grass around the place. I don't even own a trailer or a car with a hitch.

I all ready cut the neighbours front gardens cut on my side of the estate

Just finished Alphas. Can I just say...

AwL32L7CEAMiZ3r.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

cena wrote: »
    just got a rota for the estate telling me I have to cut the grass around the place. I don't even own a trailer or a car with a hitch.

I all ready cut the neighbours front gardens cut on my side of the estate

Hate when certain people in an estate do that. You're doing your own and other peoples too so you're doing your own fair share as it is. In my estate they collected €5 a month off whoever gave it and there's a fair few houses to collect from and apart from a few poxy trees and ornaments I haven't seen any great improvement in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I fell asleep watching the Merseyside Derby today what a lad of tripe that game was as a spectacle. Just seen Chelsea won at Old Trafford too big win that in the race for 3rd/4th.

United are away on holidays already. Not going to bet on them again this season.

Was going to take some of my Bayern winnings and buy a Rooster Teeth t-shirt, until I realized the one I wanted had the words "Suck my ***" bang in the center. No way am I the type of guy to pull it off :( Hate when shirts have stuff like that (another example; Ziggler's "Stealing your girlfriend" shirt).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Awful, awful day of football. 2 absolutely dire games

• Registered Users Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Decent final in the snooker, hawkins is a bit of a jobber, but he has played well, although sadly Ronnie seems to be pulling away a little now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Ronnie is a tosser was hoping he'd lose

EdK wrote: »
    Ronnie is a tosser was hoping he'd lose

Why do you say that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Been a long time since this happened but

WOOF

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement