Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Growing up, the story of the missing Beaumont children always scared me. Probably not heard of so much over here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaumont_children_disappearance

I've heard of that story- very very strange altogether!

I'd never heard of the dyatlov pass thing either, sounds terrifying! amazed I never heard of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I've managed to unlock a few doors that were technically locked from the inside.

But can you lock it again from the inside once you leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I've heard of that story- very very strange altogether!

I'd never heard of the dyatlov pass thing either, sounds terrifying! amazed I never heard of it.

There was a documentary on the Beaumont children on TV a few months ago. I think the FBI channel or whatever it is.

Not sure if it was showed over here, but I loved a programe growing up called 'Great Mysteries of the World'. It was an American series and it used to scare the **** out of me and gave me nightmares but I couldn't not watch it.

I've obviously always been into all this mystery stuff.

Another one is Trevor Deely that went missing after a night out in Dublin in December 2000. I remember the story as I moved to Ireland to live a few weeks after he went missing and there were posters of him everywhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

SdoowSirhc wrote: »
    the Dyatlov incident imo was most likely a soviet weapons experiment in the wilderness and was not meant to kill the hikers or whatever they were

I agree with this. It took place during the Cold War. I imagine it was some super secret weapon and the government could not provide details or they would risk exposing their new weapon to the American government.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    There's a theory that there was/is a few serial killers at large in Ireland but unlike UK media with this sort of thing the Irish media just brush it under the carpet.

Didn't they all stop after Larry was caught ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The Numbers Stations are also somewhat interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭deepsouthtalla

SdoowSirhc wrote: »
    my only concern is how did the Jews cross the atlantic ... Unless they went northwest from Europe and traveled down north america and arrived in central American or north America like in the book of mormon

In the Book or Mormon they went the other way around

The Mayan Calendar and 2012!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

smash wrote: »
    But can you lock it again from the inside once you leave?

We have doors that lock on the door knob. All you have to do is turn the lock, close the door, and it is "locked from the inside". In my old apartment, our doors had the locks on the door knobs. Several times, my roommate turned the lock and closed the door not knowing that she was locking herself out. I used a credit card to slide between the lock and the catch and popped the door open.

• Advertisement

The number stations are even more freaky when you listen to them:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Who stole my bike from outside Ballymany Stud Farm in 1983 ?
    I'm still riding this old horse about since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

We have doors that lock on the door knob. All you have to do is turn the lock, close the door, and it is "locked from the inside". In my old apartment, our doors had the locks on the door knobs. Several times, my roommate turned the lock and closed the door not knowing that she was locking herself out. I used a credit card to slide between the lock and the catch and popped the door open.

From Wikipedia:
    According to a report in The New York Times, March 10 and 11, 1929, Isidore Fink, of 4 East 132nd Street, New York City, was in his Fifth Avenue Laundry on the night of March 9, 1929 with the windows closed and door of the room bolted. A neighbor heard screams and the sound of blows (but no shots) and called the police who were unable to get in. A young boy was lifted through the transom and was able to unbolt the door. On the floor lay Fink with two bullet wounds in his chest and one in his left wrist, which was powder-marked. He was dead. There was money in his pockets, and the cash register had not been touched. No weapon was found. The man had died instantly, or almost instantly. There was a theory that the murderer had crawled through the transom. But to do so he would have had to be no bigger than a small boy and would have had to leave the same way, as the door was bolted. Another theory had the murderer firing through the transom, but Fink's wrist was powder-burned, indicating that he had not been fired at from a distance. More than two years later, Police Commissioner Mulrooney, in a radio-talk, called this murder, in a closed room, an "insoluble mystery."

so it was bolted shut.

smash wrote: »
    From Wikipedia:

so it was bolted shut.

But danny De Vito is the size of a small child...

Just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

Sooopie wrote: »
    Philip Kearns - wonder what ever happened to him, poor kid

I remember as a kid in the 80's going into the post office with my mam and always seeing his missing poster on the wall. Poor fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The dancing plague of 1518 - people literally danced until they died of exhaustion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_Plague_of_1518

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Obelisk

Sky King wrote: »
    The dancing plague of 1518 - people literally danced until they died of exhaustion.

Ah yes, the dancing plague!

Once you pop you just cant stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Well at least we found out who put the screw in the tuna!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Obelisk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Sooopie wrote: »
    Philip Kearns - wonder what ever happened to him, poor kid

You beat me to it. I would love to know what really happened to him that day. I live in the area and get off the bus from work right across from his house. It's a constantly busy road and he was taken in broad daylight. If someone did abduct him they must have had literally seconds to do it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Sky King wrote: »

Mould on food that turned into an amphetamine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Anything to do with Project MK ULTRA is well worth a read.

An unsolved mystery because 90% of the documentation pertaining to it [was] 'dissapeared' and nobody really knows what sort of crazy 5hit the CIA got up to back then- the remaining evidence has some really hair-raising stuff in it.... people being kept on c0onstand LSD trips for months at a time, people losing their minds to authorised psychological torture at the hands of a highly respected psychiatrist... that sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Just what happened on board the Mary Celeste?
    Also who put the benzedrine in Mrs Murphy's ovaltine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Ive spent the last few hours looking at all the links posted here, very interesting day its been, thanks. Wife aint happy though;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Ive spent the last few hours looking at all the links posted here, very interesting day its been, thanks. Wife aint happy though;)

Tell her to shut it or the mystery of her dissapearance will be next:D;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Flight 19 disappeared in 1945 off the coast of Miami on a clear day and what really gets me is one of the rescue planes sent out to look for them also vanished with out a trace

Similar WW2 one was the plight of German U-Boat U-666

The boat was listed as missing in the North Atlantic on 10 Feb, 1944.

There is no explanation for its loss. 51 dead (all hands lost).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The paranormal in general!!

Runs and hides behind sofa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Had a great read going through all the links, some deadly ones there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Advertisement