Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which brands of Diesel and Petrol do you find best for quality and MPG ?

Options
  • 20-08-2011 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

I used to buy diesel based on price only, but there is so much dodgy corrosive diesel out there now I don't risk the no brand filling stations anymore.

I find there can be a slight difference in quality and the mpg I obtain from different brands of fuels.

At the moment my current car seems to run sweetest for me on Topaz diesel, and I reckon I get 1-2 extra miles per gallon. The car also feels a bit livelier and more willing.

Granted the difference is very subtle, but I can detect it.

Regardless of price, which brand of fuel do you find best 116 votes

Applegreen
    0%
    Great Gas
    6%
    DingatronechomadmanMugMugspudzey1010ph0rce0mugglesFiercePleasant 7 votes
    Go!
    0%
    Gulf
    0%
    Emo
    0%
    Esso
    0%
    MR Love 1 vote
    Maxol
    7%
    angeldelightdubtomLe Kingjohnos1984keltoms05Hailhail1967SurferDude41shaunandellyCill Dara Abu 9 votes
    Tesco
    14%
    shinobilaforsbennyx_otoxofGary ITRTefralSVSpannerMonkeyAlfagtaministealthyspeederMidnight_EGCrackity JonesFoxhole Normantestarossa40l3m0n5basaminBeadyeye 17 votes
    3%
    btkm8unsl0w5r4pistolpetes11thebull09rxan90 4 votes
    Topaz
    2%
    aidan8500Jimmy Garlictcawley29 3 votes
    No brand name / independent supplier / other
    15%
    pyramuid manBanzaiBkkillwill[Deleted User]chickenfarmerAbsurdumgarcloDamokcfocus madchrisbuckleyVicxasC4Kidaob9dev100Monty.simxHiace.dainorab 18 votes
    I’ve never noticed a difference in quality between brands
    3%
    snowman707Where ToDustyBuzzAutosport 4 votes
    Texaco
    45%
    bkehoegpjordanf1quad_redViper_JB[Deleted User]Plugphill106Tiggert1mmTJJPKev.Tropheushi5VolvoManGran HermanoxerosherolocteauscotchyjapascaStevie Dakota 53 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Texaco
    I'd be interested in any evidence of 'dodgy corrosive diesel' or how one would know how to spot it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Tesco
    I consistently got 3BHP more running Maxol E5 (not all Maxol stations have this) fuel in my car and if running it I get a better MPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

No poll option for "green"? Seems the most popular brand with a lot of people at the mo.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Solnskaya wrote: »
    No poll option for "green"? Seems the most popular brand with a lot of people at the mo.:pac:

Theres no Texaco either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Texaco
    Petrol is petrol, diesel is diesel, doesn't matter where ya buy it from.

It cannot be manufactured, so quality is down to nature, not brand name!

Anyone who thinks it makes a difference is obviously easily influenced by the media, and as they say " God Bless Them "

The only thing that makes a difference in MPG etc is driving style and as they say dont drive like a " Knobhead !"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

gpjordanf1 wrote: »

Anyone who thinks it makes a difference is obviously easily influenced by the media, and as they say " God Bless Them "

The only thing that makes a difference in MPG etc is driving style and as they say dont drive like a " Knobhead !"

Well that's not true.

gpf101 wrote: »
    Well that's not true.

Complete rubbish.

Tesco

LOL... Yeah you're way wrong there dude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Figerty

Not necessarily true. The octane value of fuel can be a different levels. We have 95 octane petrol here, but you can get 98. In the past some cars ran better on 98 than 95, but most got no benfit from 98.

Likewise with diesel. Additive are added by the various companies such as winter additives etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Texaco
    Course Cill Dara Abu would pick Esso, he's gotten great value out of that ;)

• Advertisement

Texaco
    650Ginge wrote: »
    Complete rubbish.
    Gary ITR wrote: »
    LOL... Yeah you're way wrong there dude

Yeah? Really??

Prove it?? Yeah thought so!!!!

Texaco
    Figerty wrote: »
    Not necessarily true. The octane value of fuel can be a different levels. We have 95 octane petrol here, but you can get 98. In the past some cars ran better on 98 than 95, but most got no benfit from 98.

Likewise with diesel. Additive are added by the various companies such as winter additives etc.

Ok additives?? Nothing can change the base product. Otherwise we'd have Aldi / Lidl pertrol / diesel selling @ 50c per litre!

So at the end of the day its the same crap being sold by everyone at the same margins with only the knobheads buying the super / ultra / clean version, or as their know in the trade as gullible fools!

98 is a lower octane, is it not.

Tesco
    Yeah? Really??

Prove it?? Yeah thought so!!!!

What did you think? I have dyno sheets that show the difference Maxol fuel made in my car, I've gotten engine knock on wide open throttle from other brands. It all comes from the same source yes, but by the time it comes to the end user different companies have had a fiddle with it so it's not the same.

Texaco
    What did you think? I have dyno sheets that show the difference Maxol fuel made in my car, I've gotten engine knock on wide open throttle from other brands. It all comes from the same source yes, but by the time it comes to the end user different companies have had a fiddle with it so it's not the same.

Yes it is, dont kid yourself. And I dont need no dyno sheet for that. You said I was Way wrong dude, so if I was way wrong. there wouldn't be a need for a dyno as this so called proof would be in plentyful demand. But yet like a soon to be Saudi oil Filed, shes dry at the tit lads, as in Nada or not a shred of evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Monty.

Solnskaya wrote: »
    650Ginge wrote: »
    Theres no Texaco either.

Sorry folks missed them, can the poll be amended by a mod to include them and any others missed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Monty.

Exactly

Tesco
    Yes it is, dont kid yourself. And I dont need no dyno sheet for that. You said I was Way wrong dude, so if I was way wrong. there wouldn't be a need for a dyno as this so called proof would be in plentyful demand. But yet like a soon to be Saudi oil Filed, shes dry at the tit lads, as in Nada or not a shred of evidence.

You're not making a whole lot of sense. Just in case you don't know, my car spends a lot of time on the dyno, over 300 runs now actually and fuel makes a difference. Why don't we take it point by point

Why does my car make more power with Maxol fuel?

Why does my car give me a knock warning on Wide Open Throttle when running Topaz fuel?

If you could answer those two for a start I'd be grateful

Texaco
    You're not making a whole lot of sense. Just in case you don't know, my car spends a lot of time on the dyno, over 300 runs now actually and fuel makes a difference. Why don't we take it point by point

Why does my car give me a knock warning on Wide Open Throttle when running Topaz fuel?

Oh so you do have Dyno proof??? Coming across a bit schizo there? Which is it? you have proof or not?????

Confusing???

Tesco

Oh so you do have Dyno proof??? Coming across a bit schizo there? Which is it? you have proof or not?????

Confusing???

I don't see where the confusion is coming from?

Can you answer my questions?

• Advertisement

Texaco
    I don't see where the confusion is coming from?

Can you answer my questions?

Know nothing about your car, so I cannot comment.

But I do know fuel and it hasn't changed in millions of years, I guess your car cant say the same.

Bubble burst??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Different base products from different refineries ofc its going to be different depending on where it is being refined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Texaco
    @gpjordanf1 - is there any proof that you can supply that all fuel is the same (as it comes out of the pumps)?
    It doesn't seem fair to insist on proof from others if you're not supplying proof yourself...

Texaco
    Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    Different base products from different refineries ofc its going to be different depending on where it is being refined

What are the different base products??

-Chris- wrote: »
    @gpjordanf1 - is there any proof that you can supply that all fuel is the same (as it comes out of the pumps)?
    It doesn't seem fair to insist on proof from others if you're not supplying proof yourself...

It's not the same as it is refined and processed in different refineries using different methods in order to get a desired result (Higher Octane/Low Octane/Cleaner burn) etc etc

It doesn't grow on tree's and the industry that makes the chemicals used in the process is a multi billion euro industry in itself

Tesco
    Know nothing about your car, so I cannot comment.

But I do know fuel and it hasn't changed in millions of years, I guess your car cant say the same.

Bubble burst??

My bubble is far from burst. The spec of my car doesn't matter because the only variable is where the fuel has come from. when we tune cars we get better results on Maxol, always and that's down to how it detonates.

Like I said already different companies use additives so the fuel is different when it gets to the end user, we made 6BHP on a car today by adding something to the fuel. It's a boards users car so he can verify that.

Texaco
    -Chris- wrote: »

I dont see any proof coming to prove otherwise and as a mod I dont see what your problem is with the question??? Provide proof as requested??

I've been driving longer than I care to remember and Ive yet to see a difference or been showing proof of it!

Thats my proof, life experience.

I dont see any proof coming to prove otherwise and as a mod I dont see what your problem is with the question??? Provide proof as requested??

I've been driving longer than I care to remember and Ive yet to see a difference or been showing proof of it!

Have you been driving the car for millions of years like the way in which fuel is refined hasn't changed in millions of years ?

Jog on Troll :rolleyes:

Texaco
    My bubble is far from burst. The spec of my car doesn't matter because the only variable is where the fuel has come from. when we tune cars we get better results on Maxol, always and that's down to how it detonates.

Like I said already different companies use additives so the fuel is different when it gets to the end user, we made 6BHP on a car today by adding something to the fuel. It's a boards users car so he can verify that.

So the additives to the fuel made the difference, like I said only knobheads buy that stuff, super fuel, clean fuel, premium fuel, what ever fuel. Its all the same in a standard car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Texaco

So we have one poster who says he can provide dyno results that show the difference in performance between fuels on his vehicle, and we have another who says there's no difference based on the fact he's never seen a difference.

Who to believe... :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement