Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

open your eyes,put on your listening ears

Listened to Mullanes interview on rteradio sport the other night thats good enough for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

deise_girl wrote: »
    Haha I didnt realise it was an all girls school :P

Awks for me..

No worries. I am sure that there is many in the west of the county that dont know if the schools in Tramore or Waterford city are single sex or mixed schools.

deisedude wrote: »
    Wouldn't read much into that. Power and O'Keefe are tied up with the colleges at the moment

But if he keeps up his form, Michael Ryan and his selectors could find it hard to drop him for Power or O'Keeffe for the league, which might be a good thing. We need as many players in every position pushing hard for a place in the starting team.

This article is the biggest load of b****x ive ever seen. An example of the media making a mountain out of a molehill. What actual substance is there behind anything John Fogarty says? I have first hand information that no one from that newspaper contacted John Mullane so maybe thats why there was 'no comment'.

The man wants a break to get himself right for the championship. shur who deserves it more?

John Fogarty seems to have shares in Ink and Paper companies. Last year if anyone cares to remember he broke a story before the Munster Final that Davy was offered a new Contract to be Waterford manager. There was no truth in the world in this. He might be offered a contract by one member of the board but most of the board could not wait to get rid of Davy.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Listened to Mullanes interview on rteradio sport the other night thats good enough for me
    jesus you would believe anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Mullane will be back prob weekend after paddys day,he's not finished playing for waterford and hasnt even considered retiring i can assure you that.

Mullane will be back prob weekend after paddys day,he's not finished playing for waterford and hasnt even considered retiring i can assure you that.
    would not doubt it sulk will be well over then

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Sulk??? why would Mullane be sulking now

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Please find listed below Waterford Senior Hurling Team to play Clare on Sunday next in Walsh Park at 2.00pm in the Semi Final of the Waterford Crystal Cup

1. Adrian Power Ballyduff Upper
    2. Stephen Daniels De La Salle
    3. Declan Prendergast Ardmore 4. Aidan Kearney Tallow
    5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan
    6. Kevin Moran De La Salle
    7. Shane O’Sullivan Ballygunner
    8. Dean Twomey De La Salle
    9. Paul O’Brien Tallow
    10. Maurice Shanahan Lismore
    11. Michael Walsh Capt Stradbally
    12. Seamus Prendergast Ardmore
    13. Martin O’Neill Mt. Sion
    14. Shane Walsh Fourmilewater
    15.. Eoin McGrath Mount Sion

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

IanVW wrote: »
    Please find listed below Waterford Senior Hurling Team to play Clare on Sunday next in Walsh Park at 2.00pm in the Semi Final of the Waterford Crystal Cup

1. Adrian Power Ballyduff Upper
    2. Stephen Daniels De La Salle
    3. Declan Prendergast Ardmore 4. Aidan Kearney Tallow
    5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan
    6. Kevin Moran De La Salle
    7. Shane O’Sullivan Ballygunner
    8. Dean Twomey De La Salle
    9. Paul O’Brien Tallow
    10. Maurice Shanahan Lismore
    11. Michael Walsh Capt Stradbally
    12. Seamus Prendergast Ardmore
    13. Martin O’Neill Mt. Sion
    14. Shane Walsh Fourmilewater
    15.. Eoin McGrath Mount Sion

Decent enough looking side. Would have thought Declan Declan at full back, Seamus at wing forward, and Eoin McGrath at corner forward were all known quantities, but perhaps we will be surprised later in the year :)

In any case, worth a look on Sunday, to have a look at the cut of some of the panel at this point.

Anyone know if Richie Foley has gotten a look in yet this year ?

• Advertisement

so ur saying he is retired and lying about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Decent enough looking side. Would have thought Declan Declan at full back, Seamus at wing forward, and Eoin McGrath at corner forward were all known quantities, but perhaps we will be surprised later in the year :)

In any case, worth a look on Sunday, to have a look at the cut of some of the panel at this point.

Anyone know if Richie Foley has gotten a look in yet this year ?

He's injured at the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

firstly. Hurler on the ditch, Your comments about John Mullane are nothing but rediculous, He is the 1st & only Waterford man with 4 all-stars & anyone who knows anything about hurling respects him.
    You obviously have some personal problems with him. or are you just jealous?

secondly? Liam Lawlor. is he injured? or on the bench for Sunday?

so ur saying he is retired and lying about it
    no i never said he was retired JUST SULKING

comeraghs wrote: »
    firstly. Hurler on the ditch, Your comments about John Mullane are nothing but rediculous, He is the 1st & only Waterford man with 4 all-stars & anyone who knows anything about hurling respects him.

Also injured. Disappointing how seriously they've taken this competition in my opinion, don't think enough players have been given a chance to show what they can do.

ITS MY OPINION,nothing else no jealously here anything but ,now its no coincidence that we only have 2 all irelands in a 130 years of the gaa,if someone from a panel tells management he cannot give 100 percent they he should be left out forever more all stars or not ,in most other counties that are succesful the manager would shake the players hand thank him for his honesty and effort over the few years and finish it up then

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Footballers back to winning ways beating Kilkenny 0-21 to 0-2 tonight.

In other news, people on this thread should please try to ignore obvious trolls.

He's injured at the minute!

Ah, cheers, whats the nature of the injury, have not been keeping abreast of things too much..

Also injured. Disappointing how seriously they've taken this competition in my opinion, don't think enough players have been given a chance to show what they can do.

Yes, I agree, would have thought we would be seeing more experimental sides and new faces than we have been, but perhaps Sunday is more an exercise in not giving Clare a sniff of anything.

In any case, at least we're seeing more of Martin O'Neill, new personnel in midfield, and more of Brick at centreforward. Clare seem to be taking things a little seriously, so perhaps the shadow-boxing will be interesting tomorrow.

You obviously have some personal problems with him. or are you just jealous

Agree, some of the begrudgery is ridiculous, think the nature and especially timing of the break seem to be the fuel for all sorts of unsubstantiated rumours.

Personally, would hate to see Mullane pack it in, as I feel he is on the cusp of greatness, as looking at total scores from play of all time and the current players still in the running (Shefflin, Corbett, Eoin Kelly (Tipp), Mullane), I think Mullane could leapfrog Shefflin as top scorer from play of all time, after Shefflin reaches it first and likely retires before Mullane.

• Advertisement

Yes, I agree, would have thought we would be seeing more experimental sides and new faces than we have been, but perhaps Sunday is more an exercise in not giving Clare a sniff of anything.

In any case, at least we're seeing more of Martin O'Neill, new personnel in midfield, and more of Brick at centreforward. Clare seem to be taking things a little seriously, so perhaps the shadow-boxing will be interesting tomorrow.

Yeah but we did we not have to give UCC a sniff?

Don't think Lawlor's injury is serious, he'll just be resting for a few weeks.

Yea but youve to look at it from the management point of view aswell. The league is shorter this year and theres really not that much time to figure what your best team is. Every league game is massive because with only 6 teams in it its going to be hard to avoid relegation imo.

I seeyour point though I dont know whats to be gained from looking at lads like Eoin McGrath. Id rather see an O'Halloran or a Jake Dillon in there

Yea but youve to look at it from the management point of view aswell. The league is shorter this year and theres really not that much time to figure what your best team is. Every league game is massive because with only 6 teams in it its going to be hard to avoid relegation imo.

Even more reason to be a little more experimental in our games before the league, because as you say there'll be no scope to use some of the league to blood/ try new players.

In any case, seems we were beaten well enough today, but perhaps the remaining challenge matches before the league will give us a chance to identify our most promising options before the league.

Anyone at the game that can give a run down of how things went for us player-wise. Wasn't the mae west to drop up to the game, and had to make do with intermittent score updates from wlr :(

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Poor showing from a experamental but not inexperienced Waterford side, Clare looked a much fitter, hungrier, and better drilled side, Early days though and we have won this competition before which had little enough impact later on in the year Would wonder how much Waterford wanted this game considering aspects of the team selection and positioning. For example,the swap of Kevin Moran and Shane O sullivan at the start and Brick In the Middle after he playing FF to date even in training matches, also no subsitutions when clearly players such and EM and DT were contributing nothing .

Over all our first touch was poor ,Jamie Nagle far too loose for a back in any position and it feels like a place is being found Shane O sullivan Considering the amount of Natural Half Backs that dont seem to be getting a look in.

Thought Fives had a decent game as did Shane Walsh, and Seamus Prendergast , Pual O Brien worked hard and martin o Neil should have had a third Goal even though he didnt really play that well,

As for the Pitch , A absolute Disgrace

Very disappointed with what I saw this afternoon. Firstly, I was expecting us to win, in the end I can get over the fact that we didn't. I can also get over the bad performance, it's the middle of February and the game counted for very little. Now before I say what I have to say I take Deisebhoys point about the reduced number of league games, but that doesn't justify some of what happened today.

Too freely I've mentioned names in the past, so I won't today, but some players really don't merit inclusion on the panel that started today and I'd wonder why they're playing at all. Only two subs made, one only made because Shane Walsh got injured. The great irony that some of the City boys were going on about parochialism earlier, when clearly their own players were favoured today just because they make the loudest noises. Immensely disappointed that more of the subs weren't given a chance.

I don't mind players not having a great game and things not goin their way, but the effort of the a lot of the players after the first 20 minutes was not good enough, and it says enough about it that if we had actually played well we would have won (if Clare hadn't got that last goal which was fortuitous in that it was dropped into the net and also a Clare lad was in the square before the ball and probably put Power off, we would have only lost by 2 points). Clare played a very young team, very inexperienced in comparison with Waterford's and it again raises the question of the merits of this as the Clare midfield of Colm Galvin and Tony Kelly (they weren't in there for the whole game obviously), two minors from last year, got the better of their Waterford counterparts or at least broke even.

3-17 to 4-09 was the final score, Martin O'Neill got 2 goals and Prender got 2, 3 of which came in the last 5 minutes. Think up until O'Neill got his first we had only 1-2 scored from play!

Pitch was a joke as has been said.

Wasnt there but this is not a great sign judging on the above reports. I know its early days but These lads should be bursting a gut to get their place on the team/panel. Id wonder has all the hullabaloo about Mullane and kelly in the last few weeks added unwanted distraction. It would have to youd think

Does anyone have list/or a link to the full list of waterford gaa transfers 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Too freely I've mentioned names in the past, so I won't today, but some players really don't merit inclusion on the panel that started today and I'd wonder why they're playing at all. Only two subs made, one only made because Shane Walsh got injured. The great irony that some of the City boys were going on about parochialism earlier, when clearly their own players were favoured today just because they make the loudest noises. Immensely disappointed that more of the subs weren't given a chance.

I agree that the lack of substitutions made no sense whatever, even if winning was'nt a priority ( not that I agree with that ) surely we should be at least take the oppertunity to have a look at a few extra players other than the starting 15 and send a positive messag to your bench.
    As for the lads going on parochialisam, the gaa is built on it after all, but it dose little good to keep banging on about it, if what your saying is true than our managment team must have no sliotars one way or the other and it hard to play hurling without, would hope that they have more better reasons for all the selections they make whatever part of the county

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deise_Davy

Very disappointed with what I saw this afternoon. Firstly, I was expecting us to win, in the end I can get over the fact that we didn't. I can also get over the bad performance, it's the middle of February and the game counted for very little. Now before I say what I have to say I take Deisebhoys point about the reduced number of league games, but that doesn't justify some of what happened today.

I don't mind players not having a great game and things not goin their way, but the effort of the a lot of the players after the first 20 minutes was not good enough, and it says enough about it that if we had actually played well we would have won (if Clare hadn't got that last goal which was fortuitous in that it was dropped into the net and also a Clare lad was in the square before the ball and probably put Power off, we would have only lost by 2 points). Clare played a very young team, very inexperienced in comparison with Waterford's and it again raises the question of the merits of this as the Clare midfield of Colm Galvin and Tony Kelly (they weren't in there for the whole game obviously), two minors from last year, got the better of their Waterford counterparts or at least broke even.

3-17 to 4-09 was the final score, Martin O'Neill got 2 goals and Prender got 2, 3 of which came in the last 5 minutes. Think up until O'Neill got his first we had only 1-2 scored from play!

I don't know how you saw Tony Kelly playing today as he isn't even on the Clare panel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Dickys Back Garden

Very poor Waterford performance. On selection, why was Christy Ryan not even tried at full back today? We all know what Declan Prendergast is capable of but Ryan was, (at least according to local newspapers team of the year!) the best full back in the county last year! And he is still only 24 or 25 I believe so might be worth a decent run. And was Brian O'Halloran togged out? Also surely he would have benefited hugely from a run here. I know he played the last game but he needs games to restore confidence as he is an undoubted talent.

Clare were streets ahead in terms of being ready for this game. There was a freshness and enthusiasm about them that was seriously lacking in Waterford's play. Every time a Clare man was in posession he sought to keep posession by means of a handpass or an intelligent ball played in in front of a moving team mate. Waterford's players continuously hit the ball blindly and without purpose. When Clare dropped their midfielder in a "sweeper" like role Waterford's answer was to drop their corner forward into their own half back line to counteract this! And Waterford were chasing the game at this juncture???

And why was Shane Walsh even playing today? He went off with what looks like a serious enough injury and he is the main scoring threat for Waterford IT who have a do or die Fitzgibbon game on Tuesday against UCD? Very harsh on the lad, and indeed the college. Would I be wrong in saying that the reason Paudie and Philip Mahony, Darragh Fives and Brian O'Sullivan weren't playing was because of their UCC commitments?

And this parochial paranoia by some here is childish and serves no purpose. It's actually an insult to what I assume are intelligent people running the team and picking it. And if I'm not mistaken Michael Ryan is actually from the West of the county and is surely not naive enough to base his selections on "who shouts loudest!" Where was this "shouting" that a contributor speaks of done? Here? Don't flatter yourself with delusions of the importance of comments on here.

Today got me thinking though. I wonder were the efforts and approaches of Davy Fitz a little under valued during his time in Waterford. Its only February, early days yet and I suppose only time will tell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement