Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 hurlerford

zol 2 wrote: »
    Thomond Park...........Bruce Springsteen

Pairc Ui Chaoimh........Bruce Sringsteen

Fraher Field...............Jedward!!!!!!!

Didn't they make a huge loss on that earlier this year. Why are they repeating it again next year?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Any News on Tony Browne staying on to play next year. ???

When hes does retire will he get tributes like Padraig Joyce is getting now. 2 great players BTW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

hurlerford wrote: »

Didn't they make a huge loss on that earlier this year. Why are they repeating it again next year?:confused:

Eh? They aren't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

hurlerford wrote: »

i think you'll find zol2 was just taking the piss

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Any News on Tony Browne staying on to play next year. ???

When hes does retire will he get tributes like Padraig Joyce is getting now. 2 great players BTW :)

No news yet but I kind of hope he steps away from it now. This year he wasnt up to the full 70 minutes hurling anymore and that signals the the end is approaching for him.

Him being on the panel is only slowing down another younglads chance to develop and the future is really the priority now

• Advertisement

I heard though that Waterford fans are requesting that the springstein concert in Cork be moved to Thurles.:pac:

dead right yere stadium is a dump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

dead right yere stadium is a dump

That pairc is a dump but it will be getting a makeover.It's still is a ground with a lot of character and it generates a great atmosphere on match days.If they got rid of those blasted seats it wouldn't be that bad!It's still fit to hold championship matches.Waterford could have had a ground suitable for championship matches.The GAA were ready to give ye the redevelopment money but ye couldn't decide whether Walsh Park or the Fraher Field should have been redeveloped and the GAA then gave the money to the Galway county board to redevelop Pearse Stadium instead!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

No news yet but I kind of hope he steps away from it now. This year he wasnt up to the full 70 minutes hurling anymore and that signals the the end is approaching for him.

Him being on the panel is only slowing down another younglads chance to develop and the future is really the priority now

Wudnt have a problem with him carrying on next year if he so wishes. Sure he dosent have same pace as before but he was still one of our better performers against Cork and Tipp last year. Dont know what young lads exactly he's stopping coming through Id rather have his experience, skill and presence. he might stay on for one more year I reckon. he might as well now and become the first man to play in the Munster championship at 40 since Christy Ring. If there is fellas better than him to be starting before him they would be already and he'd be gone years ago. TB is a legend of the Deise and of the game and deserves a little bit more respect than fellas trying to retire him on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

i wouldnt be too concerned about Tony getting in the way of some young lad breaking through or developing...Scully will make sure to stunt that by himself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

That pairc is a dump but it will be getting a makeover.It's still is a ground with a lot of character and it generates a great atmosphere on match days.If they got rid of those blasted seats it wouldn't be that bad!It's still fit to hold championship matches.Waterford could have had a ground suitable for championship matches.The GAA were ready to give ye the redevelopment money but ye couldn't decide whether Walsh Park or the Fraher Field should have been redeveloped and the GAA then gave the money to the Galway county board to redevelop Pearse Stadium instead!

Everyone knows my view of which ground should be developed in Waterford or should have been during the good times. The biggest population is in Waterford City, but the ground in Dungarvan is the one with the history. I am fairly sure that had the County Board in the past decided to develop Fraher Field that the Munster COuncil and the Central Council would have rowed in behind them as games between Cork and say Kilkenny or Wexford in Intermediate All-Ireland's could be staged there as could maybe replayed All-Ireland semi finals and finals at minor level when the likes of Cork, Tipperary, Kilkenny, Wexford etc were playing.

However in saying this, I think it is an open secret that Martin Cullen when he was the Environment Minister had money sorted (I heard a eight digit figure mentioned) to due up Walsh Park as some sort of a development thing for areas where there is large amounts of Unemployment (something like that anyway), but the then County Board wanted to get involved with WIT in what they were then planning at Carriganore, but I dont think the Government wanted to get involved in such a project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Motivator

Deise Tom wrote: »

However in saying this, I think it is an open secret that Martin Cullen when he was the Environment Minister had money sorted (I heard a eight digit figure mentioned) to due up Walsh Park as some sort of a development thing for areas where there is large amounts of Unemployment (something like that anyway), but the then County Board wanted to get involved with WIT in what they were then planning at Carriganore, but I dont think the Government wanted to get involved in such a project.

Not true in the slightest.

WumBuster wrote: »
    Wudnt have a problem with him carrying on next year if he so wishes. Sure he dosent have same pace as before but he was still one of our better performers against Cork and Tipp last year. Dont know what young lads exactly he's stopping coming through Id rather have his experience, skill and presence. he might stay on for one more year I reckon. he might as well now and become the first man to play in the Munster championship at 40 since Christy Ring. If there is fellas better than him to be starting before him they would be already and he'd be gone years ago. TB is a legend of the Deise and of the game and deserves a little bit more respect than fellas trying to retire him on boards.ie.

hes not up to 70 minutes hurling anymore that was proven in both the games you mentioned. so imo he has no business on the panel. to suggest that he should stay on for the sake of being the first 40 year old to play championship is ludicrious. if he is good enough to last 70 minutes Id have no issue with it no matter what age he is but you cant just keep a felah on for the sake of sentiment and reputation. There are loads of young hurlers chomping at the bit to get in that can hurl for 70 mins and that need game time to improve and progress.

Its going to be scully ryans biggest challenge as waterford manager to see But lets just see how he handles this. Has he got the balls to make the hard call if Tony does decide to give it another year?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

At worst I don't see why he couldn't be back up and an option for a substitute. If he's happy being on the panel without being guaranteed a place on the team I don't see the problem. Nor would I have a problem if he decided to call it a day in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

hes not up to 70 minutes hurling anymore that was proven in both the games you mentioned. so imo he has no business on the panel. to suggest that he should stay on for the sake of being the first 40 year old to play championship is ludicrious. if he is good enough to last 70 minutes Id have no issue with it no matter what age he is but you cant just keep a felah on for the sake of sentiment and reputation. There are loads of young hurlers chomping at the bit to get in that can hurl for 70 mins and that need game time to improve and progress.

Its going to be scully ryans biggest challenge as waterford manager to see But lets just see how he handles this. Has he got the balls to make the hard call if Tony does decide to give it another year?

The reason Tony got back in the starting 15 was because there was nobody good enough at wing back to take his place. He already had been dropped for the game against Clare, and he was very good for most of the Munster Final, he destroyed Pa Bourke. He can't last 70 minutes, that was one thing the management were slow to acknowledge last year in the other games, but there hand was forced.

With Fives back, Tony could lose his place, but he's probably still good enough to be on the panel. I don't know that Tony would want to be a bench warmer, I'd miagine he'd walk in that scenario.

It would be an outright PR disaster for Michael Ryan, however, if he just dropped Tony Browne. Look at the media reaction to Eoin Kelly being dropped, which in my opinion was still the right call. And then he had to row back on that because things weren't going well. That decision ultimately led to criticism of Ryan for not bringing him on against Cork, even though he was absolutely cat against both Clare and Tipp.

So, if things go badly, what will people say? He should never have dropped Tony? That he showed very poor treatment to a Waterford legend? That he doesn't have a clue?

The only way Ryan could drop Tony is if he had a private conversation with Tony and said he's not in his plans and that he should retire, but that might not work because Tony may well be too proud to be forced into retirement.

I think publicly dropping him though would be as good as putting his head in the guillotine.

I cant really agree with much you are saying there. Whats the big deal about playing 70 mins. Its a panel game now you are allowed to bring on substitutes, which is an important part of the modern game. If he can still play a good 55-60 mins dont see what the problem is. By the way you're talking we must have a few Tommy walsh's or JJ Delaneys imported down from Kilkenny waiting on the wings.I wish there were but there isnt. who could play that position maybe someone like Richie Foley, Dara Fives, David o Sullivan etc I wouldnt rate any of them a patch on Tony Browne as a hurler, tbh. Mick Ryan is no eejit and he knows that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Its a pity Eoin Kelly Retired he was still young enough.

What are the chances of him returning for a new management panel??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

I cant really agree with much you are saying there. Whats the big deal about playing 70 mins. Its a panel game now you are allowed to bring on substitutes, which is an important part of the modern game. If he can still play a good 55-60 mins dont see what the problem is. By the way you're talking we must have a few Tommy walsh's or JJ Delaneys imported down from Kilkenny waiting on the wings.I wish there were but there isnt. who could play that position maybe someone like Richie Foley, Dara Fives, David o Sullivan etc I wouldnt rate any of them a patch on Tony Browne as a hurler, tbh. Mick Ryan is no eejit and he knows that too.
    Have to agree with that. Tony still has a role to play just not for 70 mins. Was one of our better players last year. The key is to bring on the fresher legs from 50 mins on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

If Eoin Kelly gets involved in management we may as well call it a day!

Cake Man wrote: »
    If Eoin Kelly gets involved in management we may as well call it a day!

Don't think that's what he meant

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Eoin Kelly return to panel.. Lads I don't know what planet you are all on at all.

• Advertisement

eventhough management in general is a problem, i dont think its the issue here, if God himself was manager eoin kelly would have a problem, its a pity because he is young and still has something to offer, i just hope for eoins sake he doesnt regret it in years to come.

Kelly is finished.. end of. He was still good in 09', 10 he was very much on the wane and 2011 and 2012 he was off the pace.

The only regret Id have was him not being brought on against Cork in the quarter final this year. When Walsh went off injured we were lacking a serious threat in at full forward. Eoin McGrath fluffed a ball into his hand and Shane Casey made a complete hames of an oppertunity when straight through on goal. I guarantee Kelly wouldnt have dropped that ball or mis-hit a shot from 5 yards. That could have been his one last hurrah but it didnt happen. Its time to move on now and start building for the future.

Anyone know where the Club season tickets are available? Is it club secretaries?

I dont know if you could say kelly is finished, he's still only 29-30 and could have something to offer but the last year or 2 his head or heart didnt seem to be in it at all. He's a confidence player and always wants to be the main man, when the management started lessening his role in the team it affected his confidence big time. In a way i wouldnt blame him for packing it up, its a disgrace he wasnt brought on against Cork when we needed a goal.

I dont know if you could say kelly is finished, he's still only 29-30 and could have something to offer but the last year or 2 his head or heart didnt seem to be in it at all. He's a confidence player and always wants to be the main man, when the management started lessening his role in the team it affected his confidence big time. In a way i wouldnt blame him for packing it up, its a disgrace he wasnt brought on against Cork when we needed a goal.

Having seen him play the last 2 seasons Id say he is finished. Everyone was hoping this year that hed come back hungry and stronger after a poor couple of seasons but its worse he seemed to getting. There was controversy with the management at the beginning and to be fair they gave him every chance to come back and get fit even bent the rules for him a bit but it just didnt seem to happen.

He is 30 you'd think there is still time but his attitude has always been a problem. He got away with it in his early to mid 20s becuase he had the ability but as you get older the body gets more weary and you have to work harder to get the fitness right. Hes obviously not willing to put it in and unfortunately his time is up

Im wondering could any anoraks of Waterfords gaa history could help out a fellow anorak.Were all aware of the 48 all ireland winning team and the 57 to 63 team of Seamus Power Phil Grimes and Tom Cheasty etc and the Tony Browne Ken McGrath and Dan Shanahan from 98 onwards generation.But what about the generation of players from post 63 to pre 98.There was a few highlights in that time.

In 1967 Cork the then all ireland champions came down to suirside to play Waterford.Waterford beat them and Cork were sent back to leeside stripped of their munster and all ireland crowns.In 1974 Waterford beat Cork in Walsh Park in the championship.Paddy Barry got sent off in his last championship appearance for Cork.Waterford in 1977 gave the three in a row Cork team a few hairy moments but Cork eventually pulled through.Of course Waterford played in three munster finals in the 80's in 82 83 and 89 although they got destroyed in all three of them.They beat Cork after a replay in 89 although Ger Cunnigham got knocked out with concussion.In 1991 Waterford actually only lost to Cork by three points.In 1992 they gave a Limerick a close match and then there was the nadir of losing to Kerry in 93.Waterford did give Limerick a close game in 94 and they gave away a few soft goals against Limerick in 97.

Who were the star players for Waterford in that era?I know of Ken McGraths father Pat,Shane shinner Ahern,Mossy Walsh and the winner of Waterfords first all star John Galvin i think his name was.Who were the others though that stood out for Waterford in that barren era?btw It would be great if some releases a book covering the Waterford hurling story up to the present times.

While at the time i was saying that Cork had the better bench maybe it was a case of JBM making better use of his resources than what Michael Ryan made of his.Taking off Tony Browne was a huge mistake.All Michael Ryan achieved by that was letting Cork know that his team were beaten.

Im wondering could any anoraks of Waterfords gaa history could help out a fellow anorak.Were all aware of the 48 all ireland winning team and the 57 to 63 team of Seamus Power Phil Grimes and Tom Cheasty etc and the Tony Browne Ken McGrath and Dan Shanahan from 98 onwards generation.But what about the generation of players from post 63 to pre 98.There was a few highlights in that time.

In 1967 Cork the then all ireland champions came down to suirside to play Waterford.Waterford beat them and Cork were sent back to leeside stripped of their munster and all ireland crowns.In 1974 Waterford beat Cork in Walsh Park in the championship.Paddy Barry got sent off in his last championship appearance for Cork.Waterford in 1977 gave the three in a row Cork team a few hairy moments but Cork eventually pulled through.Of course Waterford played in three munster finals in the 80's in 82 83 and 89 although they got destroyed in all three of them.They beat Cork after a replay in 89 although Ger Cunnigham got knocked out with concussion.In 1991 Waterford actually only lost to Cork by three points.In 1992 they gave a Limerick a close match and then there was the nadir of losing to Kerry in 93.Waterford did give Limerick a close game in 94 and they gave away a few soft goals against Limerick in 97.

Who were the star players for Waterford in that era?I know of Ken McGraths father Pat,Shane shinner Ahern,Mossy Walsh and the winner of Waterfords first all star John Galvin i think his name was.Who were the others though that stood out for Waterford in that barren era?btw It would be great if some releases a book covering the Waterford hurling story up to the present times.

Jim Greene of course...
    Pat Ryan mt sion, nicky cashin abbeyside, tom casey dunhill, daithi foran portlaw, noelie crowley roanmore, damien byrne erins own, chuck o connor erins own....to name a few

Jim Greene of course...
    Pat Ryan mt sion, nicky cashin abbeyside, tom casey dunhill, daithi foran portlaw, noelie crowley roanmore, damien byrne erins own, chuck o connor erins own....to name a few

I don't mean to be overly pedantic here but could you tell what years those players were in service?

• Advertisement

I don't mean to be overly pedantic here but could you tell what years those players were in service?

Jim Greene late 60s,70s early 80s, Pat Ryan mt sion late 70s, 80s, nicky cashin abbeyside 70s, 80s, tom casey dunhill 70s, 80s, daithi foran portlaw late 80s, early 90s, noelie crowley roanmore mid 80s to mid 90s, damien byrne erins own mid 80s to mid 90s, chuck o connor erins ownmid 80s to mid 90s

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement