Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Very good win today, really thought Clare were going to score a goal from that free. Thank god Darrach Honan didnt have the skills to score that goal near the end...

Bit harsh, to be fair to the lad he only rejoined our panel maybe three weeks ago, having not hurled in probably a year if not more. When on his game he has a fantastic touch for a player of his height.

As for the sledging that goes on it is an aspect of the game I completely detest, but to be fair to Mullane, Kelly or Davy (and I do think a manager should most certainly be getting involved in that sort of nonsense) at least they are able to take it just as well as they dish it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

Hats off to Waterford today, ye deserved the win.
    Not much between the teams and I don't think Clare have much to complain about, even taking the penalty into account, Waterford probably edged it in terms of other goal chances 'that could have been'. Clare will naturally rue alot of missed frees during the game, but in fairness Maurice missed a few but maybe not as many.

For me the difference between the teams, Daniels, Molumphy and in particular Prendergast, he completely negated James McInerney, got a fair bit of primary aerial possession, chipped in with a few scores and assists. I found it so frustrating during the league watching the Brick at CF when ye had this guy at ye're disposal.
    While experience may have a bit to do with the win, I thought Clare made it difficult for themselves by playing a possession game instead of giving the forwards quicker ball, some of our forwards looked very dangerous when they were in possession. It looked like they'd been instructed not to shoot unless they're 100% sure the score is on and I think it's holding them back as a team. Overall I'm not too disappointed with the team, they're young and the potential and committment doesn't seem to be lacking.

On a lower note, Davy's language on the sideline was cringeworthy, not the kind of thing you want your 5 year old listening to. In fact it only serves in bringing the game into disrepute. Eoin Kelly's goal celebration, for different reasons was equally cringeworthy, in a different hurling era he'd have been laid out by the opposition and he'd have deserved it. I didn't see Mullanes after match celebration, but if it's true, well, it doesn't say much for the man either. Be as gracious in victory as you should in defeat. All 3 let themselves down today particularly Davy and Mullane (ie if he did celebrate in Davy's Face).

Enjoyed the match, gripping tight contest to the end, unlike many of the preliminary championship games in recent years. You'd have been forgiven if you thought it was knock- out, something that also has been lacking in recent years in preliminary championship games. Best of luck in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

What did I say? I said weeks ago on this very forum lads, Molumphy is a massive player to this team and still has more to offer and I think he proved that today. He proved most of ye wrong today.

Was great to get the win today. Firstly, SOK had a powerful game on goal he made super saves. If anybody seen his reaction for the goal he let in he clearly wasn't happy but it was his debut aswell, and it was a well taken goal. Aidan Kearney looked bad today. A lot of ball
    Went over his head and he was caught a few times. He was worrying today, a more experienced forward would of served Kearneys arse on a plate to him with the chances that were there. Brick was as solid as ever, catching ball, and distributing it perfectly. Maurice Shanahan was ****ing useless. Absolute thrash. Definetly shouldn't of started he was hopeless.
    Surely to god he be dropped. Personally I think apart from Mullane, Kelly(at times) were a bit light in the forward department.
    Not enough of fellas there. Gavin O'Brien is still young yet. Paul O'Brien and Martin ONeill did well when they came on. Particularly O'Brien his first touch very good and won scoring frees. Either of them lads are worth a start all day long over Maurice Shanahan.
    Was good to win today and prove people wrong. Just goes to show were far from finished. There's a serious amount of youth and talent in panel as well as old guards. Up the Déise!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Don't know much about your new keeper but he looks a excellent player who will be between the post for a long time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

marco_polo wrote: »
    Don't know much about your new keeper but he looks a excellent player who will be between the post for a long time to come.
    ah the dust has settled ,good win over clare ,just as well really ,if you could not beat clare you would have no hope for rest of the year,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I love it when people get it so wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm delighted to be proven wrong by Stephen. It's his best game for a long time and was a deserving motm. One brilliant game does not mean that he has not been well below par for a few years in championship though. He has clearly proved that he is well capable of producing brilliant performances at this level though, so fingers crossed he keeps it up.

My personal motm would have been Seamus Prendergast who is another player I would not have selected. I thought he was brilliant. I haven't seen him have a game like that since the mid naughties.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks, personal attacks/name calling is not going to be tolerated on here anymore, this will be the last warning given for ALL posters, from now on bans will be handed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Waterford are paired with Wicklow in the First round of the All-Ireland football qualifiers. Waterford came second out of the hat meaning they will have to travel to Aughrim.

The draw in full reads -
    Laois V Carlow,
    LouthV Westmeath,
    Roscommon V Armagh,
    Fermanagh V Cavan,
    Offaly V Tipperary,
    London V Antrim,
    Wicklow V Waterford,
    Derry V Longford.

I wonder will the Waterford fixture be reversed. Waterford played away last year twice to London and Limerick. Wicklow played at home to Sligo. Does this mean that Waterford will get to play at home this year, and if it does where will the game be played. Jedward have Fraher Field taken over that weekend. If the game is switched to Walsh Park, surely the G.A.A. would be better off giving free admission as inter county football in Walsh Park or Carriganore is not well supported. Thats not saying it is in Fraher Field but they do manage to get a few hundred in for most games in Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Black Suir wrote: »
    Waterford are paired with Wicklow in the First round of the All-Ireland football qualifiers. Waterford came second out of the hat meaning they will have to travel to Aughrim.

The draw in full reads -
    Laois V Carlow,
    LouthV Westmeath,
    Roscommon V Armagh,
    Fermanagh V Cavan,
    Offaly V Tipperary,
    London V Antrim,
    Wicklow V Waterford,
    Derry V Longford.

I wonder will the Waterford fixture be reversed. Waterford played away last year twice to London and Limerick. Wicklow played at home to Sligo. Does this mean that Waterford will get to play at home this year, and if it does where will the game be played. Jedward have Fraher Field taken over that weekend. If the game is switched to Walsh Park, surely the G.A.A. would be better off giving free admission as inter county football in Walsh Park or Carriganore is not well supported. Thats not saying it is in Fraher Field but they do manage to get a few hundred in for most games in Dungarvan.

Apparently only counties who played a Round 1 game away from home get home advantage if not drawn out first from the hat. Waterford didn't play in Round 1 last year if memory serves me correct, so they don't fall into that category for that reason I believe.

This is a game we should be looking to win, and Wicklow are normally very wary of us. However, Wicklow improved during the league and were promoted, and we went the opposite direction. I heard we were beaten handily by Offaly recently and only had 16 players.

Will Gary Hurney be fit? That could be the difference between winning and losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

What did I say? I said weeks ago on this very forum lads, Molumphy is a massive player to this team and still has more to offer and I think he proved that today. He proved most of ye wrong today.

Was great to get the win today. Firstly, SOK had a powerful game on goal he made super saves. If anybody seen his reaction for the goal he let in he clearly wasn't happy but it was his debut aswell, and it was a well taken goal. Aidan Kearney looked bad today. A lot of ball
    Went over his head and he was caught a few times. He was worrying today, a more experienced forward would of served Kearneys arse on a plate to him with the chances that were there. Brick was as solid as ever, catching ball, and distributing it perfectly. Maurice Shanahan was ****ing useless. Absolute thrash. Definetly shouldn't of started he was hopeless.
    Surely to god he be dropped. Personally I think apart from Mullane, Kelly(at times) were a bit light in the forward department.
    Not enough of fellas there. Gavin O'Brien is still young yet. Paul O'Brien and Martin ONeill did well when they came on. Particularly O'Brien his first touch very good and won scoring frees. Either of them lads are worth a start all day long over Maurice Shanahan.
    Was good to win today and prove people wrong. Just goes to show were far from finished. There's a serious amount of youth and talent in panel as well as old guards. Up the Déise!

Out of interest, were you at the game?

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »

ah the dust has settled ,good win over clare ,just as well really ,if you could not beat clare you would have no hope for rest of the year,

Isn't it usually customary for replies to have some relevance to the quoted post :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

DublinGAA96 what are you on about. Will have to watch back the game on the rte player but maurice shanahan was far from ****ing useless. Scored from play and won frees that he converted. You are being more than a bit harsh on the lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

glick6 wrote: »

Out of interest, were you at the game?

Yeah I was at the game... Why?

Here is my long winded two pence on the game and incidents with player ratings:

Player Ratings

O'Keefe: 9 - Couldn't have possibly wished for a better debut. His save from McGrath was absolutely exceptional. There was no way Hennessy would have saved that. His puckouts were also much better than Hennesseys (even if we couldn't win a lot of them).

Kearney: 4 - He had a shocker. He was lacking the sharpness required of a corner back and was being taken to the cleaners by McGrath before they switched Daniels on to him.

Lawlor: 8 - Has developed into an excellent full back. His main priority is to get the ball anywhere as long as it is away from him and thats exactly what we need. He knows he's not a "hurler" so doesnt bother trying to be one.

Daniels: 8 - He had one of those games where despite the fact that he gave away a couple of stupid frees and conceeded a few scores to his man, still managed to have a very good game. If he wasn't moved onto McGrath, he might have ran riot.

Mahony: 7 - All in all, I thought he was reasonably solid without being spectacular. I think that he is a guy who will be a very good player but I'm not sure how much he can improve.

Brick: 7 - He had a mixed game but was absolutely brilliant at crucial times. Probably a slightly harsh mark for him but I also thought that he was poor at times too, particularly for one of the goals.

Foley: 5 - He didn't have a good game. He was very loose throughout and gave away two pointed frees for throwing the ball (He does this a lot).

Moran: 8 - He had a great game. Was very solid throughout and won some brilliant aerial ball. He gives 100% at all times and there never seems to be a lull in his performances throughout games.

Molumphy: 9 - He had as good a game as he ever had. He had a brilliant game, easily on a par with his all star season. Won an unreal amount of dirty ball and always seemed to distribute it well too.

Shanahan: 6 - He just frustrates me so much. He spends way too much time on the ball (Clare would love him). He also seemed a lot slower than usual so did not particularly do anything productive when he got the ball. He took his two points well but the jury is still out on him as far as I am concerned. He was substituted at the right time.

Prendergast: 9 - I haven't seen him have a game like that since the mid naughties. I thought that he was absolutely phenomenal. He won an unreal amount of brilliant aerial ball and always seemed to do the right thing with it. He was my motm but I don't begrudge Molumphy winning it at all.

Kelly: 6 - What was good is that he clearly worked very hard throughout the game even if things didn't always go well for him (he obviously has learned he can't arse around). He has to be given credit for the pressure he put the Clare back line under. They were very nervous around him which resulted in us getting a lot of breaking ball off him in the first half. Unfortunately he wasn't able to win much clean ball and will look to improve this the next day. He finished with 1-01 and I was glad he was there to take the penalty because I would have zero confidence in any of the others to take it. He was correctly substituted as he was making little impact in the second half (his fittness levels still need to improve imo).

Mullane: 9 - I thought that he was brilliant. He didn't play a classic Mullane type of game but his contribution was unbelievable. He won some brilliant aerial ball when he was out in the half forward line (something he never does) and he was extremely unselfish (uncharacteristically) with the ball. He set up a number of scores for others. On top of that he managed 0-3 himself. .

Walsh: 8 - He had a classic walsh game. I.e he either gets a goal or doesn't without doing much else. Over the last few years, he seems to consistently get them though. Walsh does what he says on the tin essentially and I was delighted with his contribution (1-01 was it?). He was correctly substituted as he was knackered.

O'Brien: 5 - He seemed nervous and a bit out of his depth. Went for glory at a tight angle when Kelly had lost his man in the square. It was a certain goal if he just past it across. He scored a lovely point but didn't get on the ball much.

Subs: Paul O'Brien did really really well when he came on, he made a brilliant impact. O'Neill took his score lovely too. I would have shot Ryan on the spot for greedily going for glory. He was well hooked but should never in a million years have attempted a shot. There were two waterford men next to him with an open goal which would have finished the game. In the end we were lucky not to lose it.

Manager Rating

Michael Ryan: 8 - He did well. We are playing a much nicer more direct style of hurling which suits us. It was funny looking at the contrast with Clare who were playing like we did last year, i.e. way too much short passing when it is completely unnecessary. He also made all the substitutions at the right time (when he felt the player coming off had given their full contribution). Davy used to throw lads on with 5 mins to go when it was too late for them to do anything.

Incidents

I think too much is being made of them. Firstly lets establish something, Eoin Kelly is (lets say not a gentlemen hurler)but its an ungentlemanly hurler that Waterford often needs. He drew the foul by fouling himself and other players wouldn't have done that. End result he won a penalty which he knew he would bury. I have nothing against his celebration either (which lets be honest, was tame enough), he was getting under the Clare players skin big time and that can affect a performance. As I say, its poor sportsmanship no doubt but every team is at that and it does us no harm whatsoever if one or two of our players are it too. I acknowledge that that is a controversial opinion and fully understand why some people would strongly disagree with it too.

Davy and Mullane incident: This is more of a talking point but again is being blown out of all proportion. RTE have an agenda against Davy which is pathetic. If they followed Cody around with a camera you wouldn't know what he would come up with. Davy should have more sense but these things go on in games all the time. I really don't know why people are so shocked about it. Mullanes behavior was very disappointing. He was goaded into it but should not have reacted. In saying that, neither Davy or Mullane will lose any sleep over it, so I don't think that anyone else should either.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Excellent synopsis redlead. No mention for Noel Connors? Played the full second half and did well I thought. Extremely encouraging to see him back.

DublinGaa, my opinions on some of the players differed to yours, I was just wondering had you seen it there or on tv. I was talking to a few people who watched it on tv said Maurice wasnt great. I actually thought he did ok. Definitely wouldnt have described his performance as you did. Thought he actually won quite a bit of primary ball.

glick6 wrote: »
    Excellent synopsis redlead. No mention for Noel Connors? Played the full second half and did well I thought. Extremely encouraging to see him back.

DublinGaa, my opinions on some of the players differed to yours, I was just wondering had you seen it there or on tv. I was talking to a few people who watched it on tv said Maurice wasnt great. I actually thought he did ok. Definitely wouldnt have described his performance as you did. Thought he actually won quite a bit of primary ball.

Don't know how I forgot Connors :eek:

I agree with you, I thought he did pretty well. I'm delighted he got the game time too. That will stand to him ahead of the Munster final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Who would ye rather in the Munster lads?

I'd love Cork, epic day out in Thurles. Mind you I can't see them beating Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Lot of positives to take from the game. Our overall performance and style was good and refreshing to see. Lots of players scored (10 I think) so we weren't just relying on Mullane for scores like we were a lot of the time under Davy.

A lot of good individual performances with only a few players playing just okay or poorly, Kearney and a couple of the new lads but it was their debut. Kelly was average but belted in his goal chance and got a point too, thought Shanahan could've done better. Molumphy would've been my man of the match.

We nearly threw it away but thankfully we hung on to win, deservedly in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Who would ye rather in the Munster lads?

I'd love Cork, epic day out in Thurles. Mind you I can't see them beating Tipp

I'd prefer Cork just for the game to be on in Thurles. Dunno who we'd have a better chance against. It's a Cork team with some very good young players, a really good forward line and a solid backline. They will certainly push Tipp all the way. We haven't beaten Tipp since 2008 and our league performances haven't been great against them either. We still don't have a plan to stop Noel McGrath who killed us in the league. If we do play them it'll be closer than last year though, of that I'm certain.

Either way, it'll be a very tough match.

By the way lads, Kelly did not score a point. Maybe people are confusing him with Seamus Prender?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Clare will make progress in this competition, through the back door.
    The penalty decision and the Mullane antics, will be used to fire up the banner boys, when we get another chance against Waterford in the final:cool:

Don't forget .............. we are also in a Munster final. With the big ball:D

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

Great synopsis readlead, but I would also add that although Moran in general had a great game, he still seems to panic at times and clears a ball up to where there's no Waterford player.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Clare will make progress in this competition, through the back door.
    The penalty decision and the Mullane antics, will be used to fire up the banner boys, when we get another chance against Waterford in the final:cool:

You can have the big ball, we'll take the small ball but good luck in any case your gonna need it. Who knows we might meet later on the year dont think Clare are a finished article but will be a serious team in years to come no doubt.

As for our chances, I actually feel an optimism after yesterday that this year might, just might, finally be our year. Sure there is room for lots of improvement but I think we are improving with each game drastically since the start of the league, the team spririt is very good and our hurling has come along tenfold. And there is enough talent in the squad now to put it up to Tipp and possibly Kilkenny. I thought we kind of bossed the game yesterday and seemed to step up the pace when we needed to. There's definitely a lot more in the tank in us, I feel. Looking forward to the munster final now.

Tora Bora wrote: »

Best of luck

All Im hearing about all day in the media is Pa Kelly this, Pa Kelly that, Pa Kelly the other thing. Obviously the media have their eye on making him their new beau, a kind of mini fitz. Well what i say of Pa Kelly was bar the wonderful point he got from his own half was a fella who turned his ar5e to a penalty, overshot the runway for Shanes goal and had his 21 yeard free blocked(no harm in that) by the better Stephen O'Keefe.. time for our young players to get credit where credit is due. SOKy pulled of a save Brendan Cummins would be proud of, he was cool calm collected under dropping balls and was nervous at all I thought. He will be a star for Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

wTF?

All Im hearing about all day in the media is Pa Kelly this, Pa Kelly that, Pa Kelly the other thing. Obviously the media have their eye on making him their new beau, a kind of mini fitz. Well what i say of Pa Kelly was bar the wonderful point he got from his own half was a fella who turned his ar5e to a penalty, overshot the runway for Shanes goal and had his 21 yeard free blocked(no harm in that) by the better Stephen O'Keefe.. time for our young players to get credit where credit is due. SOKy pulled of a save Brendan Cummins would be proud of, he was cool calm collected under dropping balls and was nervous at all I thought. He will be a star for Waterford.

What paper are you reading because I haven't seen anything like that? In fact Considine to be fair gave Waterford a lot of credit.

buck65 wrote: »
    wTF?

hon the boy

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    You can have the big ball, we'll take the small ball but good luck in any case your gonna need it. Who knows we might meet later on the year dont think Clare are a finished article but will be a serious team in years to come no doubt.

As for our chances, I actually feel an optimism after yesterday that this year might, just might, finally be our year. Sure there is room for lots of improvement but I think we are improving with each game drastically since the start of the league, the team spririt is very good and our hurling has come along tenfold. And there is enough talent in the squad now to put it up to Tipp and possibly Kilkenny. I thought we kind of bossed the game yesterday and seemed to step up the pace when we needed to. There's definitely a lot more in the tank in us, I feel. Looking forward to the munster final now.

Both teams are a fair bit off the finished article, not just Clare. I wouldn't share your optimism regarding Waterford, it's a bit like the Irish supporters expecting something out of the Croatia match and maybe a draw out of the Spanish match.

Having said that, remember '98........not for the wrong reasons.......Offaly won out against all odds, Mgt up heavel, beating Clare in a replay and doing a number on KK. So, maybe it's your year, who knows

With the exception of (most of) KK games, most games will come down to 'on the day' scenarios because there's so little between the rest, with Tipp being a little step above the rest in KKs direction. That's not to say Cork won't beat Tipp the next day nor does it write off Waterford in the Munster final. Take every game as it comes and see how far you go. I wouldn't exactly agree that Waterford bossed things yesterday, more direct and intelligent general play won the game, if anything Clare were superior physically in most areas and perhaps had they played a more varied game Waterford would have had alot more to contend with. Waterford have good hurlers, there's no doubt, but I've the feeling that when they come up against teams with more intelligent, experienced teams than Clare, that the physicality will become an issue.

Best of luck in the final, I don't think there'll be a goal fest this year, Daniels is solid and if Connors can regain full fitness (looked a bit pudgie yesterday) and the half back line looks better as well for the most part, they didn't leave as many gaps and spaces between them and the full back line, that they had been doing. Perhaps they're finally settling back into playing a straight forward 15 man game, a formation they have only played in once in championship in the last 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

mickmcl09 wrote: »
    Both teams are a fair bit off the finished article, not just Clare. I wouldn't share your optimism regarding Waterford, it's a bit like the Irish supporters expecting something out of the Croatia match and maybe a draw out of the Spanish match.

Having said that, remember '98........not for the wrong reasons.......Offaly won out against all odds, Mgt up heavel, beating Clare in a replay and doing a number on KK. So, maybe it's your year, who knows

With the exception of (most of) KK games, most games will come down to 'on the day' scenarios because there's so little between the rest, with Tipp being a little step above the rest in KKs direction. That's not to say Cork won't beat Tipp the next day nor does it write off Waterford in the Munster final. Take every game as it comes and see how far you go. I wouldn't exactly agree that Waterford bossed things yesterday, more direct and intelligent general play won the game, if anything Clare were superior physically in most areas and perhaps had they played a more varied game Waterford would have had alot more to contend with. Waterford have good hurlers, there's no doubt, but I've the feeling that when they come up against teams with more intelligent, experienced teams than Clare, that the physicality will become an issue.

Best of luck in the final, I don't think there'll be a goal fest this year, Daniels is solid and if Connors can regain full fitness (looked a bit pudgie yesterday) and the half back line looks better as well for the most part, they didn't leave as many gaps and spaces between them and the full back line, that they had been doing. Perhaps they're finally settling back into playing a straight forward 15 man game, a formation they have only played in once in championship in the last 2 years.

Im aware that yes we could come up short against stronger teams physically and in other areas. Obviously Kilkenny are miles ahead of everyone else but from what i saw yesterday i wouldnt be too afraid of taking on anybody else if we play to our potential. And somebody's got to make that leap up sometime. What im saying is that i got the feeling that we could do it, and that it kinda needs to be this year or next year because there will be a few lads retiring and even though there's some good lads coming through, we cant wait around forever hoping that Kilkenny turn ****e becuase its not going to happen any time soon. I think that not just ourselves, but other counties too need to adopt a better mentality when it comes to facing Kilkenny.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement