Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

When is SAM coming to carrickstown??? Be some craic to have Bernard Brogan having a few scoops with the lads !!!!
    I'd love to see Leo with the cup.." Way heyyy Bernard !!! How ya gettin on "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

max life wrote: »
    Did I hear right?? Phelans is open on Christmas Day???? Is that not a bit unusual?

Spars are usually open for a few hours on Christmas day..

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭FionnB

iceblue wrote: »
    (sun episode)....sean said something along the lines of paul and niamh will be rippon ie re the collection money being robbed?....rippon???? sounds like something they said on home and away and neighbours- neither of which ive watched since 1988... do the inner city dublin kids say rippon?

I'm sure he said Rippin' (Ripping) which sounds fairly normal to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

Bryan Murray did Late Date again last night. He's very good, as you'd expect.

http://bit.ly/vX5mNq

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jane Eyre

IsMiseLisa wrote: »
    The thing that annoys me is that there *are* great actors in Ireland, or at least actors who are at a far better quality than some of those Fair City pay to work as professional actors.

Caoimhe, that new Kelly girl, amongst others, are terrible. *I* could act better than Caoimhe.

/rant. :D

Really? Why don't you put a link to an audition video and let us judge for ourselves?

• Advertisement

Jane Eyre wrote: »
    Really? Why don't you put a link to an audition video and let us judge for ourselves?

Some people can be very mouthy and seem to love to promote themselves.. sad really..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The thing that annoys me is that there *are* great actors in Ireland, or at least actors who are at a far better quality than some of those Fair City pay to work as professional actors.

Caoimhe, that new Kelly girl, amongst others, are terrible. *I* could act better than Caoimhe. There is acting talent out there, but there's a stigma attached to Fair City. A lot of the industry think it's rubbish. One of my lecturers refers to it as Fair '****ty'. Actors, directors, whoever, have a habit of seeing themselves as being above FC - which can lead to something of the rubbish calibre that sometimes presents itself in their productions.

I study TV and Media Productions. We were discussing job prospects, and all but me decided they wouldn't want to work in Fair City as it isn't "good" enough.

Shoddy workmanship doesn't entirely inspire pride.

There is great talent in Ireland - Fair City just need to work harder to find, hire and promote them, thus revolutionising a programme that could be great.

Do you want to work on any Soap Opera?

This is a usual post about Fair City as though it is supposed to be some amazing TV series, its a Soap Opera.

In fairness to the Fair City actors I have seen some of them on the stage and they are often much better. I can't comment on the ones you have mentioned.

The main prob is lack of Script Writing talent which could be nurtured on Fair City, but then there should be other serials doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

There was an article on the Star today about Orlaith Rafter. She got married yesterday ( still looks good).

• Registered Users Posts: 85,051 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

angel01 wrote: »
    Spars are usually open for a few hours on Christmas day..

:eek: Never knew that none of the ones by me are open on that day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

Elmo wrote: »
    Do you want to work on any Soap Opera?

This is a usual post about Fair City as though it is supposed to be some amazing TV series, its a Soap Opera.

In fairness to the Fair City actors I have seen some of them on the stage and they are often much better. I can't comment on the ones you have mentioned.

The main prob is lack of Script Writing talent which could be nurtured on Fair City, but then there should be other serials doing the same.

I would be happy to work for any soap opera, Fair City included.

Evidently that post came across much more negatively than I intended. All I meant is that Ireland has a wealth of talent and that Fair City (and RTE) should do everything in their power to tap into it.

:o

• Advertisement

Some people can be very mouthy and seem to love to promote themselves.. sad really..:(

I can't act, and have absolutely no interest in acting, nor was I, in any way, trying to promote myself? :confused:

I must admit I am kinda warming to Val :o maybe it is because of her scenes where she is besotted with Leo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I must admit I am kinda warming to Val :o maybe it is because of her scenes where she is besotted with Leo :p

yea she seems to have had a bit of a personality transplant... well she is not as harsh these days. i don't mind her at all now.

loved seeing denzo back tonight :)

sarah's ma was a right cow! what got up her nose?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭pavcro10

Thought it was funny seeing that little girl act Denzo off the screen tonight. He was there, flailing away and overacting and she came in underneath him and gave a beautiful subtle performance.

Thought it was funny seeing that little girl act Denzo off the screen tonight. He was there, flailing away and overacting and she came in underneath him and gave a beautiful subtle performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

I would be happy to work for any soap opera, Fair City included.

Evidently that post came across much more negatively than I intended. All I meant is that Ireland has a wealth of talent and that Fair City (and RTE) should do everything in their power to tap into it.

I think it's worth remembering Elmo's point about the difference between soap and other drama. A play gets five or six weeks of rehearsal. Fair City is on every week, so they never have time to sit people down and explore the characters.

That must be toughest on the new cast members, so I'm always inclined to give them a free pass for a few months, till they get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Zumo (to Denzo): "I'll figure out a way of getting you into the gaff...."

Erm............ Denzo had already gotten himself into the gaff and was free to enjoy Christmas with his family, until Zumo and Decco ran him out and ended up having a conversation with him in a public park about ways of getting him back into the house :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Who on earth comes up with this crap??????

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    :eek: Never knew that none of the ones by me are open on that day

Some of the ones near me are open. No rest for the wicked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

The actors that play Leo and Dolores were on four live yesterday talking about their Christmas.

Some of the ones near me are open. No rest for the wicked :D

Maybe since it is under the tree at Spar that is where Santa leaves all the pressies :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭ameliajane

Caoimhe, that new Kelly girl, amongst others, are terrible. *I* could act better than Caoimhe. There is acting talent out there, but there's a stigma attached to Fair City. A lot of the industry think it's rubbish. One of my lecturers refers to it as Fair '****ty'. Actors, directors, whoever, have a habit of seeing themselves as being above FC - which can lead to something of the rubbish calibre that sometimes presents itself in their productions.

I study TV and Media Productions. We were discussing job prospects, and all but me decided they wouldn't want to work in Fair City as it isn't "good" enough.

Shoddy workmanship doesn't entirely inspire pride.

There is great talent in Ireland - Fair City just need to work harder to find, hire and promote them, thus revolutionising a programme that could be great.

I can see that you are far more qualified to offer your opinion on this. I'm sorry. I didn't wish to irritate you with my own views. There is a great wealth of acting in fair city and in Ireland. Actually, Ireland has to be one of the most talented countries in terms of the arts. I accept there are not the most polished performances on fair city from some actors at times. However, I was just trying to focus on the strong actors in the cast really. I respect your view. Forgive my attempts to create an unrealistic impression of the show. It was really only a personal view. I would be very unfair to you if I expected you just to simply agree with everything I said. Thanks for bringing a different approach to this. It is certainly interesting to get a different perspective to my point of view. I welcome an informed view definitely.

ameliajane wrote: »
    I can see that you are far more qualified to offer your opinion on this. I'm sorry. I didn't wish to irritate you with my own views. There is a great wealth of acting in fair city and in Ireland. Actually, Ireland has to be one of the most talented countries in terms of the arts. I accept there are not the most polished performances on fair city from some actors at times. However, I was just trying to focus on the strong actors in the cast really. I respect your view. Forgive my attempts to create an unrealistic impression of the show. It was really only a personal view. I would be very unfair to you if I expected you just to simply agree with everything I said. Thanks for bringing a different approach to this. It is certainly interesting to get a different perspective to my point of view. I welcome an informed view definitely.

I'm not in the least any more qualified than anyone else and you honestly needn't apologise. :D It's a matter of opinions is all. I wasn't irritated by anything you said, at all. I just went on a bit of a (kinda negative) word-splurge. :)

There are some good actors, for sure. Bryan Murray is always great. Ray and Wayne are criminally under-used. The actress who plays Dearbhla Dillion has some serious potential. There's good things about FC, for sure, there's just times where it could, and should, be better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭iceblue

ameliajane wrote: »

are you being serious or sarcastic i cant tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

There are some good actors, for sure. Bryan Murray is always great. Ray and Wayne are criminally under-used. The actress who plays Dearbhla Dillion has some serious potential. There's good things about FC, for sure, there's just times where it could, and should, be better. :)

all those actors mentioned are really, really great. but not everyone can be great... cos then we'd have nothing to talk about and we would get bored :p
    iceblue wrote: »
    are you being serious or sarcastic i cant tell?

not-sure-if-being-sarcastic-or-honest.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭ameliajane

Iceblue, my post was serious! I did not aim to come across as sarcastic so I am sorry for confusing you in my post. Wayne and Ray are definitely underused in the soap. I have to agree with dirtyghettokid on that point.

I agree with Lisa about some of the best talent not being utilised! I was getting so frustrated when the bishops were in every ep. That Decco can only be a smart Alec or aggressive. They are the only things he plays. Combine him with Caoimhe and it really is car crash tv

It was great seeing Denzo back, albeit briefly... :(

I have to say I really dislike Rebecca as a character, she came across as extremely rude and not a bit grateful to Carrigstown for remembering Sarah.. she had a cheek to excuse Bob of trying to get her into bed when she did the same with both Barry & Bob!! :eek:

I love Decco the most, he makes himself a very believable character and he is one of my favourites in the show.

I love the Bishops so great seeing them back on screen... I prefer Esther's wig to her real hair :o

Last but not least... Happy Christmas to all on this thread... and all the best for 2012 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Alwayson

I am an avid Fair City viewer and have also done a lot of acting (most not in Ireland) and I would love a part in Fair City! I think the acting is okay but I agree some characters are irritating e.g. Caoimhe but the biggest problem for me is the overall production (writing/directing/editing). But I still watch it, maybe because the low quality makes it seem more accessible to aspiring cast members like me :-)

FC on at 6pm tonight on RTE 1 for an hour ;) Merry Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭sue z

Dermot must be as thick as a plank!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement