Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v2]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭ameliajane

I hope when Louie does return. He comes back with a non gelled look. He clearly spent a fortune on it and it wasn't money well spent. I think he needs to go to the gym and do some weight training.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

I think Niamh was acting very well lately. I hope Denzo doesn't get the blame. Tommy ^ Judith must have relocated to Paris. As if the school would let Ben in wearing a spiderman costume, he'd be sent home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I am right at the top of the queue for Louie.... :D

I just saw this in the times... interview with Pat Nolan who plays Barry.. It was a holiday feature before you ask :D

Pat Nolan - actor

What’s your earliest holiday memory?

Vienna with the boy scouts in 1970 aged 12. We travelled overland through London and Calais. We camped on the outskirts of the city beside

an amusement park. We thought we had died and gone to heaven. It started a whole connection with Vienna for me.

What was your worst holiday?

I can’t recall any major holiday disasters, I kind of go with the flow.

What was your best holiday?

My wife is American, so we go to San Francisco regularly and I love it. I lived over there for six months, so know my way around. It has some of my favourite record shops and my brother-in-law is a musician, so we see some great bands.

Although it wasn’t a holiday I had a great trip riding a Harley-Davidson on Route 66 for charity last year. It was great to see some of middle America.

But my most important holiday was Vienna (again) in 1981 and what came out of it was to change my life. I took leave of absence from the post office to work in a theatre there. I did everything from making sets and acting three nights a week to pouring the wine.

I wanted to immerse myself in theatre (as I was doing it in my spare time at home) and see what I thought at the end. It only set my fire for acting. I met my wife while I was there. When I came home I resigned from my job.

If budget or work were no restriction, what would be your dream holiday?

Paris and Rome as I’ve never been to either, then back to Vienna before ending up in Greece. I always wanted to go to Greece as I love history and theatre and would rather go and see a good ruin than lie on the beach all day.

Who would you bring on holiday with you if you had your pick?

My motorbike! It gives you a great sense of freedom and everything is thrown at you – the smells, the feelings, the wind. Afterwards, your brain is trying to catch up on all the things you’ve seen.

What’s your favourite place in Ireland?

Many years ago I went to Kerry and it rained for the week – I swore I would never go on holidays in Ireland again. But then I worked on a film in Clifden and it was like heaven. The sun was shining, the scenery was beautiful and it completely changed me back around to staycations, once you get the weather.

Your recommended holiday reading?

I always bring books and scripts with me and I somehow never get around to reading them as I tend to keep moving on holiday.

Where will you go to next?

I’ve no plans at the moment, but living in Wicklow I’ve beautiful walks on my doorsteps. Myself and my wife are threatening to go to Greece, so we may just book on an impulse.

- Fair City actor Pat Nolan stars in Our Father at the New Theatre, Dublin, from September 12th-17th as part of Absolut Fringe. See fringefest.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

I think that other cop was in FC before as a different character. He looks very familiar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

Ah now, the acting was dodgy tonight.

The hilarious thing is, we filmed a short film in college involving a police interrogation scene. The acting and the setting were as good as, if not better than, the scene in Fair City. And ours was done by a bunch of amateurs for no money and with only two lads who'd ever acted before.

Puts the hundreds of thousands pumped into Fair City to shame. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Wasnt great tonight.. Poor enough acting as was said above.. The second guard with Deegan was poor enough, and the extra playing the female guard (standing behind them against the wall) looked more scared than Barry did...

I think the problem with FC is the inconsistent acting... You go from a scene with Bob, Robert, Barry or one of the good actors, to a scene with either the Bishop family or Mark ver.II and his dysfunctional bunch of mistfits, and the difference in quality is tangible..

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

IsMiseLisa wrote: »
    Puts the hundreds of thousands two grubby fivers and half a ham sandwich pumped into Fair City to shame. :D

FYP. :D

Throw up a link to your film there, and let's up the viewing figures. Do you have it online?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Did Barry O'H waive his right to have a solicitor present at interrogation? Don't think I saw one at his side.

Fair City is good sometimes, very amateur at other times. There seem to be more extras than actors. They should give the extras a go at a few lines for a laugh!

Equity might object though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

angel01 wrote: »
    - Fair City actor Pat Nolan stars in Our Father at the New Theatre, Dublin, from September 12th-17th as part of Absolut Fringe. See fringefest.com

I see he got a little plug in tonight as Barry sat locked up in his cell....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

max life wrote: »
    I think that other cop was in FC before as a different character. He looks very familiar.

I don't remember him in Fair City before. Here's a link to what he's done before. http://frontlineactors.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/ArtKeans.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

FYP. :D

Throw up a link to your film there, and let's up the viewing figures. Do you have it online?

Ah, that one's not online, though we have another one up? Tis about a British lad infiltrating the IRA after the RA kill his brother during the Troubles.

It's fairly rubbish now, but none of the lads had ever acted before and the whole thing but the opening in a field were filmed in the studio - which is pretty much a blank room with three cameras in it.

It's quite good for a student production. :D We did everything ourselves in ten hours, with no budget, no sets, no actors, no editing, and as our second project in first year.

We were well proud of the pub scene and the shed scene. We literally had to beg, steal and borrow everything in there. One of the lads brought an old motorbike into the college and they had to carry it through the library. Got a few funny looks that day. :D

Be warned: it's ten minutes long. The acting is bad, and the accents are even worse. :D

Be gentle, eh. :D

CLICK FOR DODGY SHORT FILM.

P.S. should also mention, if you're wondering why it's so dark it's 'cause the film was massive and to get it on youtube, it had to be compressed big time.

Epicurus wrote: »
    I don't remember him in Fair City before. Here's a link to what he's done before. http://frontlineactors.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/ArtKeans.pdf

I thought he looked like the actor who played Roisin's father.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

I thought he looked like the actor who played Roisin's father.

Isn't he the guy that was in the battered husbands group with Damien?

For all those who like Caoimhe in that nurses outfit ;)
    618_soaps_fair_city_152_2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

If Caoimhe is ever busy; Decco could get Vivienne to put on her nurses outfit instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

Epicurus wrote: »
    If Caoimhe is ever busy; Decco could get Vivienne to put on her nurses outfit instead

No. Caoimhe is the only one that can manage to pull that off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

angel01 wrote: »
    618_soaps_fair_city_152_2.jpg

Christ I'll be putting Fair City on the Sky Plus this week..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FUNKYTOWWWN

anyone else agree the storyline of Ben not wanting to go to school is awfully stupid and boring?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

anyone else agree the storyline of Ben not wanting to go to school is awfully stupid and boring?

Stupid, boring and completely unbelievable!!!!!!!!!

In all my years seeing the new junior infants start at my lads school, I have never seen one dressed in a costume:rolleyes: Ridiculous in the extreme - why they couldn't let Ben have the same worries as all kids have, with tears or tantrums, I'll never know!

• Advertisement

I thought the storyline with Ben was quite amusing and lighthearted and I actually enjoyed it. I know the superman thing was a little bit farfetched and unrealistic but I thought it was nice to have something fun along side the more serious stories to do with Barry.

Yeah its a pointless storyline IMO. Also I thought Dermot and Jo would have been more angry towards Philip. He did his best to encourage Ben to wear that costume to school...he is a bit of an idiot at the best of times.

Yeah its a pointless storyline IMO. Also I thought Dermot and Jo would have been more angry towards Philip. He did his best to encourage Ben to wear that costume to school...he is a bit of an idiot at the best of times.

He is a teenager, he was just having a laugh.. don't see what is so wrong with that. Wish they would give Philip a decent storyline though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I was away for a while - just caught up on episodes on Sky+ - have to say, I thought there were more clever/interesting ways for the whole thing about Sarah's death to come out! I expected Barry to go down trying to cover it up to the bitter end and I think it would have been much better if they had done that. And I was full sure that when the Gardai excavated the site, there'd be no body there and that's how Decco would have been hung!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Why could not have been worried like a NORMAL 4yr old though (even though he must be 7)? There were many tears in many houses last week I'm sure - with some anxiety causing a sleepless night or two (and that's just the parents;))...they could still have had a light-hearted storyline with his first day in school, instead of the Spiderman costume! And Jo leaving Dermot at the school gate to deal with it!!! There's no way she would have done that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

+ 1 and the fact he looks about 7 or 8 makes it extra stupid

He does look a bit older than a 5 year old would, I think it was a bit OTT but I actually found it amusing to watch... I thought it was a good excuse to get Robert involved in his life, which was good to see... I actually found it funny :p

Fittle wrote: »
    Why could not have been worried like a NORMAL 4yr old though (even though he must be 7)? There were many tears in many houses last week I'm sure - with some anxiety causing a sleepless night or two (and that's just the parents;))...they could still have had a light-hearted storyline with his first day in school, instead of the Spiderman costume! And Jo leaving Dermot at the school gate to deal with it!!! There's no way she would have done that!!!

In fairness, she didn't even realise a few months ago that he had got out of the shop by himself and nearly got run over so leaving him at the gates with Dermot wasn't too bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭ameliajane

I have to say well done to the actor who plays Barry. It was a very credible, natural performance of a man attempting to cope with a guilty conscience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 jenny30

I loved the story line with Ben. I laughed out loud at some of the dialogue. I thought it was hilarious! Some of the kids that started in the school I teach at are almost as tall as me! I thought the little actor was super and the story line very witty. Good fun last week Fair City and I was captivated by the Barry storyline. Really enjoyed it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement