Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are macs so ****ing expensive

Options
  • 17-08-2011 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

im a linux user , but i come accross window every day , and mac the odd time
    but me question is why are the mac's soooo ****ing expensive

example:
    http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

mac air 11inch

there lightweight and they have that thunderbolt port , that nothing uses

but there nothing there that a €300 linux netbook (windows formated) would'nt have ... so why would you spend

3 times the amount , is it the OS?
    or what the story

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

bpb101 wrote: »

example:

mac air 11inch

but there nothing there that a €300 linux netbook (windows formated) would'nt have ... so why would you spend

or what the story

-Faster OS.

-More reliable (i've used several laptops).

-Far sturdier construction. Longer lasting.

-Does what it says on the tin.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I've a Macbook with 3 years this xmas,

In that time its never once failed me! not even on the simplest things. :)

Reliability alone is worth the money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Freddie59 wrote: »
    -Faster OS.

"longer lasting" would a mac last 3x the amount of a windows €300 cheap.
    they look nice but too dear

I've a Macbook with 3 years this xmas,

In that time its never once failed me! not even on the simplest things. :)

Reliability alone is worth the money

ive got a asus eee pc 900 3 years ago for c. 300 euros and nothing much has broke on it.
    and it got abused!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Isn't the battery really expensive in the Airs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

Do macs maintain their speed after a few years? My 4 year old windows is extremely slow to boot up. If I upgrade in a few months and spend the money on a mac, will I avoid this problem in the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Why do Nike runners cost more than others?

Branding.

Obviously people are going to buy stuff that they think is better,
    Ipod, Iphones etc are fairly bad in comparison to other similar products,
    people still buy them because of the place apple has in these markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Macs are about style and image. Unfortunately that's something you pay for. Why buy any car when a Yugo would get you to the shops?
    At least compare an air to some other unibody aluminum chassis ~1cm thick.

Idleater wrote: »
    Macs are about style and image. Unfortunately that's something you pay for. Why buy any car when a Yugo would get you to the shops?

my point is that if a car get you from point a to point b it works

simulary if a linux laptop get you to send and email and a mac get u to send an email , what the different

if your thinking about buying a car id go with the yugo.:L

Idleater wrote: »

i can see there nice style and image but is that style worth 600 euros?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

example:

mac air 11inch

or what the story
    Compare like with like, and there's not much difference in the price. A €300 linux netbook doesn't even compare to a high end linux/windows netbook, let alone a MacBook Air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

-Faster OS.

Linux and windows can be just as fast if a sensible person is using the computer, and not wreaking havoc by installing untrustworthy software daily.

I have used many, many laptops, and none are what I would call "unreliable", or even "less reliable", unless the owner has been doing something stupid with it. I've come across a fair few macbooks laden with viruses, and when I point out that they need sorting ASAP, the owner tends to squeal "But macs don't get viruses!". Get real, lads, you still need an antivirus.
    Than what? I've come across far sturdier PCs (which can often cost less) than macbooks, and you can easily get 5+ years out of a PC if you don't hurl it down stairs and visit questionable sites unprotected regularly.

What does it say on the tin?

While I'm arguing these points against macs, they still are decent kit, but definitely not worth the cash in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Simplest economics: because there are so many people who like them enough to pay that high price. Why would Apple charge less? Sales are strong. They are not involved in the race to the bottom that other PC manufacturers are as they are not competing directly. Mac vs PC is not comparable to Windows PC vs Windows PC.

So why are people willing to pay that high price? Probably a combination of things that people here have mentioned. High build quality, longevity, good looks, the badge, love of the OS etc. People who don't own a Mac tend to use specs as the only baseline for comparison but there's a lot more to it than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

example:

mac air 11inch

or what the story

I'd love a link to a €300 laptop comparable to the MacBook Air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I've come across a fair few macbooks laden with viruses, and when I point out that they need sorting ASAP, the owner tends to squeal "But macs don't get viruses!". Get real, lads, you still need an antivirus.
    No, actually we don't. There are currently no, zero, nada viruses in the wild for a Mac. Antivirus software only protects against Windows viruses, which can't do a thing to the Mac OS for obvious reasons.

. I've come across a fair few macbooks laden with viruses, and when I point out that they need sorting ASAP, the owner tends to squeal "But macs don't get viruses!". Get real, lads, you still need an antivirus.

Nonsense. There isn't a single virus for the Mac in the wild. Get your facts straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Johnmb wrote: »
    No, actually we don't. There are currently no, zero, nada viruses in the wild for a Mac. Antivirus software only protects against Windows viruses, which can't do a thing to the Mac OS for obvious reasons.
    cornbb wrote: »
    Nonsense. There isn't a single virus for the Mac in the wild. Get your facts straight.

Wowzers, you both used the term "in the wild" at the same time.

Spooky!

I'd love a link to a €300 laptop comparable to the MacBook Air.
    yea sure here u go
    here one with a bigger hdd and better battery for
    €235
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/10463093/art/asus/eeepc-1011px-black.html

payable by laser , and all major credit cards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

yea sure here u go
    here one with a bigger hdd and better battery for
    €235
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/10463093/art/asus/eeepc-1011px-black.html

payable by laser , and all major credit cards

Why don't you read the specs of the macbook air, and then see if you come up with a comparable product.

For starters

Does a macbook air have a 10.1" screen ?
    Does a macbook air have a hdd ?
    Does a macbook Air have an Atom cpu

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've come across a fair few macbooks laden with viruses, and when I point out that they need sorting ASAP, the owner tends to squeal "But macs don't get viruses!". Get real, lads, you still need an antivirus.

Ah, another Mac vs PC thread and as usual the PC users are making sh*t up. Seriously, lads, pretending you know about Macs when you clearly don't makes you look like a far bigger fanboy that any of us. This is what annoys me most about these threads: we have to go around correcting all the rubbish about Macs that people come up with.

In any case, it’s funny that the OP should use the Macbook Air as an example considering that PC manufacturers are currently struggling to match the price of it. You need to compare like with like. Design and build quality cost money. Apple aren’t the only high-end computer manufacturer.

If people don’t want to spend more than €400 on a laptop, then fine. But don’t go comparing a Macbook Air to netbook with a piece of sh*t Atom and suggest that the reason the Mac costs more is because of branding because you are just showing your own ignorance.

• Advertisement

It doesn't have an SSD, it has a processor that isn't capable of running it's OS properly, it's double the thickness of the Air and 50% heavier and I'm betting it has the build quality of Lego. If you want to do a fair comparison let's compare like with like, not with the cheapest thing you can find.

Why don't you read the specs of the macbook air, and then see if you come up with a comparable product.

For starters

Does a macbook air have a 10.1" screen ?
    Does a macbook air have a hdd ?
    Does a macbook Air have an Atom cpu

slightly smiller screnn
    hdd is better than ssd , can be replaced easier
    i never said it did , i said this is a good pc, and will work as quick as a mac and it much cheaper and better

cornbb wrote: »
    It doesn't have an SSD, it has a processor that isn't capable of running it's OS properly, it's double the thickness of the Air and 50% heavier and I'm betting it has the build quality of Lego. If you want to do a fair comparison let's compare like with like, not with the cheapest thing you can find.

30% heavier
    i use asus and i find it great nnot lego

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i run osx on a pc, dont see the big woop with apple hardware to be honest( have owned macs before) that said i am looking for a used mac atm but its not really nessesary, would love to see apple offer a pc version of x at a higher price

also, to those arguing the price, i give you this.
    http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-with-snow-leopard-start-to-finish?skyline=true&s=i

Ah, another Mac vs PC thread and as usual the PC users are making sh*t up. Seriously, lads, pretending you know about Macs when you clearly don't makes you look like a far bigger fanboy that any of us. This is what annoys me most about these threads: we have to go around correcting all the rubbish about Macs that people come up with.

In any case, it’s funny that the OP should use the Macbook Air as an example considering that PC manufacturers are currently struggling to match the price of it. You need to compare like with like. Design and build quality cost money. Apple aren’t the only high-end computer manufacturer.

If people don’t want to spend more than €400 on a laptop, then fine. But don’t go comparing a Macbook Air to netbook with a piece of sh*t Atom and suggest that the reason the Mac costs more is because of branding because you are just showing your own ignorance.

this didnt start out as a mac v pc thread , i wanted to know why macs are so dear....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

this thread is new.

As much as I hate macs OP you're not going to win this argument. the air is currently in a class of its own (pretty much but not for long)

Anyway, this fanboi stuff over OSs is pretty pointless by this stage. we do everything through a browser nowadays anyway so it makes no difference.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    this thread is new.

As much as I hate macs OP you're not going to win this argument. the air is currently in a class of its own (pretty much but not for long)

Anyway, this fanboi stuff over OSs is pretty pointless by this stage. we do everything through a browser nowadays anyway so it makes no difference.

i havent used macs ,and i was wornder why people were paying so much for desgin or was it the os ,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

-Faster OS.

Boll0cks. Complete b0llocks.

I've had a good few of both (I'm loyal to neither PC's nor Mac) and my current Windows laptop (Vaio) is an absolute beast. And it's super fast. All for a much much lower price than a Mac equivalent would cost me.

Windows can be tweaked for optimal performance too and overclocking etc. if that's your bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

-Faster OS.

Don't believe anything he says clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

The reason you pay far more for macs is because of the apple brand.

The hardware is always worse than the competitors for the price, it's not longer lasting or more reliable and every other laptop does what it says on the tin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

will work as quick as a mac and it much cheaper and better

you got one bit right, it's cheaper, the rest is nonsense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement