Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth reporting dangerous driving?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Boards.ie is full of real-life scenarios from genuine people, most of the time. I have lost count of the times I have read about scenarios of people not calling any guard based on the negative experiences they would have heard before. That is fact. People are loosing faith in the guards. Their are people who just won't contact their local station based on previous experiences either with themselves or with friends. That is also fact. Not everyone out there would or does contact the guards when they should.

People, especially Irish people simply won't recount good stories they have. If a member of AGS does his job well, or goes above and beyond people think well that was nice, but won't share that experience with anyone.

Conversely if someone has a negative experience they will tell every person they meet and then post it online. This is why it appears there are predominantly negative experiences being shared about AGS.

Yes I will agree with you that there are mainly negative stories on boards.ie about AGS, but the majority of them are from people who have been caught for something and believe the law should apply to others and not to them.

People also don't realise that when you make a call about a group of youths hanging out on a corner, and a call for a burglary comes in, then the burglary gets priority. Similarly if you have a shop and you saw someone on cctv leaving without paying for something, but don't have them in custody. Then the person getting a hiding on a street will get priority.

The reason? there isn't an endless supply of Gardai, so calls have to be prioritised so the Gardai get where they're most needed, sure others will have to wait. But you can be sure that the Gardai aren't just sitting around having tea. They're dealing with something already or something more pressing is happening.

Back on topic, If you're willing to make a statement and give evidence in court, then yes it is worth calling in a dangerous driver. IF however you aren't willing to do this, don't be surprised if the person never gets taken to task over their driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

foreign wrote: »
    Mine isn't. Fact!

Great. It's good to know your station have sufficient guards of resources.

source wrote: »
    People, especially Irish people simply won't recount good stories they have. If a member of AGS does his job well, or goes above and beyond people think well that was nice, but won't share that experience with anyone.

Conversely if someone has a negative experience they will tell every person they meet and then post it online. This is why it appears there are predominantly negative experiences being shared about AGS.

Yes I will agree with you that there are mainly negative stories on boards.ie about AGS, but the majority of them are from people who have been caught for something and believe the law should apply to others and not to them.

People also don't realise that when you make a call about a group of youths hanging out on a corner, and a call for a burglary comes in, then the burglary gets priority. Similarly if you have a shop and you saw someone on cctv leaving without paying for something, but don't have them in custody. Then the person getting a hiding on a street will get priority.

The reason? there isn't an endless supply of Gardai, so calls have to be prioritised so the Gardai get where they're most needed, sure others will have to wait. But you can be sure that the Gardai aren't just sitting around having tea. They're dealing with something already or something more pressing is happening.

Back on topic, If you're willing to make a statement and give evidence in court, then yes it is worth calling in a dangerous driver. IF however you aren't willing to do this, don't be surprised if the person never gets taken to task over their driving.

I honestly appreciate this post of yours. Yeah I remember being told that when in Templemore about the number of negative experiences being greatly higher than the positive in terms of word of mouth. You are spot on with "People also don't realise that when you make a call about a group of youths hanging out on a corner, and a call for a burglary comes in, then the burglary gets priority.". Those youths in this scenario would be a big deal for the people who phoned that in, hence the phone-call in the first place.
    Would you though, if you were taking the call would you actually inform that caller that another higher-priority call has come in but that the youths would be dealt with in time?
    Their are people who would be willing to get involved in ensuring law and order not only in their own communities but when on travels and when they ask for assistance from their local guards, and see that nothing gets done, people do start to wonder why bother phoning in again. That seems to me to be what is being said by posters in this thread who have seen incidents worth reporting.
    It is the lack of feedback from the the guards who take their details that seems to be making people wonder if they are being taken serious or not. As Tremelo said above, he was willing to give a statement but no-one ever got back to he about the incident he reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I think your Trolling Kerry4Sam.
    You say your working in a station. Obviously as a reserve, because if you were actually involved in the job you wouldn't be making these kind of negative generalised comments.
    If you were actually in the job you wouldn't feel ANY kind of need to be basing ANY of your experiences from a website. You would be sick of having the real thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭jimdeans

Eru wrote: »
    You cant seriously be suggesting that Tremelos comments are actually factual are we? .

There's why the public often don't like the gardai.

Rude and prejudicial.

Why is that attitude so pervasive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭hanleyc2

maximoose wrote: »
    This morning driving from Newbridge – Dublin on the N7 I saw two absolute f*ckwits who should not be allowed to drive and was wondering the same question as you OP.

08 Golf, and a 98 Peugeot came flying past me - I was doing around 110kmph, I’d imagine they were easily doing 140-150 (the road limit is 100)............

So you were wondering whether to report yourself or not? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

jimdeans wrote: »

Rude and prejudicial.

One mans prejudice is another mans experience

cursai wrote: »
    I think your Trolling Kerry4Sam.
    You say your working in a station. Obviously as a reserve, because if you were actually involved in the job you wouldn't be making these kind of negative generalised comments.
    If you were actually in the job you wouldn't feel ANY kind of need to be basing ANY of your experiences from a website. You would be sick of having the real thing.
    jimdeans wrote: »

Rude and prejudicial.

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    One mans prejudice is another mans experience

I couldn't have said it better myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

This has gone way off topic and is now descending into personal abuse.

OP Yes it is worth reporting dangerous driving but you have to be the witness and you have to stand up in court and say what happened.

So yes, go for it.

The Gardai are very happy when members of the public stand up and are prepared to prosecute a case, because the Gardai cant be everywhere and see everything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement