Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth reporting dangerous driving?

Options
  • 17-08-2011 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I was driving on the M50 this evening and had a dangerous and scary experience with a driver...so did a lot of other people.

The usual thing...driving at way over the speed limit, tailgating, flashing lights and using the horn and then slowing down and driving up behind the car at speed only to jam on the breaks at the last minute

I got my daughter to take a note of the plate number and he continued to do this all the way down the m50 and onto the M1.

I'm just wondering though is it worth my while letting the gardai know? I can give them times, locations etc and I know there are cameras on the motorway that should be able to back me up but will anything be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

its only worth your while if you are prepared to make a written statement and appear as a witness in court a number of months down the line.

after all, if the gardai didnt witness the driving , they cant give evidence of what happened, only you (and passenger) can
    eviltwin wrote: »
    Hi all

I was driving on the M50 this evening and had a dangerous and scary experience with a driver...so did a lot of other people.

The usual thing...driving at way over the speed limit, tailgating, flashing lights and using the horn and then slowing down and driving up behind the car at speed only to jam on the breaks at the last minute

I got my daughter to take a note of the plate number and he continued to do this all the way down the m50 and onto the M1.

I'm just wondering though is it worth my while letting the gardai know? I can give them times, locations etc and I know there are cameras on the motorway that should be able to back me up but will anything be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

for sure report his reg number you could be saving a life in the long run get the maniac off the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I recall this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68341098

So chances are yes, it is but it is very hard for a police car to find this car at the time in Heavy traffic.

However if you do have a passenger on board and you want to report to police I have always done the following. The car has a notepad and pen for work reasons. So when safe to do so I note the following or have passenger note them. As many as I could I dont think I ever noted as much as below.

Time and date
    Car - The reg , make, model distinctive traits (big sticker etc)
    Driver - Description , number of passengers , load
    Location - The road, The direction of travel , the nearest intersection

Reason for noting : Saw Reg X drive to close to Reg Y distance of less then one metre. Occured on my right side in far right lane. Aggressive flashing lights my speed was 80KMPH Reg x was beside me at simialar speed.

I did because if you pass this idiot smashed into someone else down the road it is pretty damning evidence or worse heard a smash on the news. I have to say I never really reported the vehicle unless it did something really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Personally i think it depends on the driving eg. outright Stupidity-forcing cars into the hard shoulder,

I've only ever reported someone twice, first on was going from Gort to Galway, about 7 cars together i was no. 3, some Bmw at the back see a slight gap overtakes everyone behind me then slices inbetween me and car no. 2 (i mean slices, at 60 mph with just 2.5 car lengths it was slick) then overtakes cars 1 +2 on the hard shoulder. rang the gardai, reported the reg, car type + direction of travel, sadly the gardai mis-understood me at thought the car was going to Gort,

Second was a car that almost took another car and mine whith him while overtaking at nite going up hill, he just made it in, but was just feet from the front of my car, he sped off, then stopped in the middle of the road for no reason (actually it looked like he was taking a piss, from what i could see as i caught up to him) then he sped off again, did the same as above, he got stopped for drunk driving.

Yet another reason for dashcams in cars

yes, by all means report him but YOU have to make a statement and go to court.

YOU are the witness, YOU are the one who saw the dangerous driving.
    You are the one who has to give evidence to the court as to the manner of driving of the alleged offender.

its up to you.
    if your willing to do the above then yes, by all means report it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

try this phone No. 1890205805 it gave drivers to opportunity to report dangerous driving. Not to sure is it still in use but worth a try anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭999nobody

bubblypop wrote: »
    yes, by all means report him but YOU have to make a statement and go to court.

YOU are the witness, YOU are the one who saw the dangerous driving.
    You are the one who has to give evidence to the court as to the manner of driving of the alleged offender.

its up to you.
    if your willing to do the above then yes, by all means report it.

You don't make it sound very encouraging for a citizen to report a crime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

999nobody wrote: »
    You don't make it sound very encouraging for a citizen to report a crime

Were being honest about whats involved. Whats the point in saying "Yeah report it and then vanish into the night" when that wont accomplish anything?

Its being stressed because so many people think Gardai can just go to court and tell a judge "Ah sure Judge, we heard from someone else" and the person will be locked up but would be horrified is such a thing was actually done to them or in another case.

If your not willing to give evidence then theres simple no point in reporting it as it cannot be prosecuted however going to court and giving evidence is not a major ordeal nor scary. The Gardai will assist you and will bring you through the system step by step. Most Judges will appreciate that your not a legal eagle and may never have seen a real court or a real case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Yes, certainly report it.

You MAY have to back up your report with a statement or a court appearance, but in all likelihood once the cops catch up with this sort of toe-rag they will get them for a collection of other offences and your testimony may not be required.

Many years ago, on the way back from a wedding, I reported a car driving very erratically when overtaking me near Yoghal, the boys in blue turned up in about 10 min and stopped the car. I pulled up nearby when I saw them on the side of the road and asked if they needed my statement. They said that they would probably not need it as there were more serious offences involved thanthe careless driving that I had reported.

It later turned out that he was charged with:
    • No Insurance
    • No License (Banned)
    • Possession (Weed)
    • Driving while under the influence (Weed)
    • And my favourite. :-), driving a stolen car.

Always report dangerous driving, you might save a life, even if it only the life of the dangerous driver.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I did before on the way home from mayo guy was either falling asleep or hammered called the station in the next town and they pulled him, guy was all over the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

This thread reminds me of an incident I witnessed one evening down West Cork direction.
    There I was driving on the N71, there was a slow moving vehicle in front of me, so I awaited my opportunity to legally and safely pass him.
    So I did the usual, checked mirrors, indicators on etc., and off I went to pass this vehicle on the other side of the road.

Suddenly out of nowhere while I was in the process of passing out this vehicle I suddenly realised that a clown in a fancy car was passing me out, so much so, he was actually in the hard shoulder on the opposite side of the road.

Obviously I got a fright and was annoyed, I checked my phone so I could ring the lads in Bandon station, but no coverage.

So a few minutes later another fancy car passes me, this guy was moving it. I was thinking, the clowns are out tonight.

On I drove, then one of the best most satisfying things happened, the second car was in the on the side of the road in front of me. I noticed a little blue flashing strobe on the back window, then the aerials, the reg. Then i clicked the good old Bandon traffic corp in their unmarked high performance vectra was after pulling the first idiot.

I went home a happy man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

To answer the OP: No, it is not worth it.

In my experience of driving over 700km per week, it is a complete waste of time to report anything to the Gardaí.
    • Cyclists on the M8 motorway on a daily basis, and the Glanmire Gardaí always do nothing despite being informed about it by multiple motorists each day
    • Trundling combine harvesters on the M8 Fermoy Bypass, and you call it in only to discover that the local Gardaí sanctioned it
    • Boy racers driving at 110 mph on an R road and overtaking into oncoming traffic and Cashel Gardaí do nothing, despite being supplied with reg numbers and a willingness to serve as a witness
    • Tractors driving in the emergency lane of all our motorways on a daily basis, and the Guards just don't want to know

But they're out with their hairdriers each morning, ignoring the most dangerous law breakers while they shoot fish in a barrel. A cyclist or a tractor on a motorway is much more dangerous than a car that's doing 140km/h. All concerned parties are wrong; but two are more dangerous. Is it too much to ask for priorities to be set?

The Traffic Corps make me sick, to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

Actually I can see where you are coming from there. Personally speaking I was sitting in a parked car in Douglas village on Friday waiting for someone.

I noticed across the road from me 2 cars coming out of the filling station, both turned left at the exit, the first car then drove straight through red lights at the pedestrian crossing.
    The second car stopped, I could not believe it when I noticed a uniformed Garda in the drivers seat. Then I reconised the car, it was the unmarked traffic Mondeo from Angleasea Street.

So I thought, why in the name of all is good didn't that officer go after the first car, after all it was not a case that the lights were in the process of changing they were red for sure when the first car approached them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

The Gardaí can't investigate this if you don't make a complaint.

They can't function completely unless the general public come forward and make a complaint, get involved in their (everyones) court system.

There could have been someone on that stretch of road who was put at a lot more risk than you by this driver but hasn't the courage to come forward either.

Do it soon and give the Gardaí a chance.

There are so many things people see everyday involving criminal activity or road traffic offences and they don't come forward. Its always the genuine innocent people who are afraid to bother the Gardai fire or ambulance services.

Its your service! Use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

cursai wrote: »
    The Gardaí can't investigate this if you don't make a complaint.

They can't function completely unless the general public come forward and make a complaint, get involved in their (everyones) court system.

There could have been someone on that stretch of road who was put at a lot more risk than you by this driver but hasn't the courage to come forward either.

Do it soon and give the Gardaí a chance.

There are so many things people see everyday involving criminal activity or road traffic offences and they don't come forward. Its always the genuine innocent people who are afraid to bother the Gardai fire or ambulance services.

Its your service! Use it!
    Tremelo wrote: »
    To answer the OP: No, it is not worth it. In my experience of driving over 700km per week, it is a complete waste of time to report anything to the Gardaí.
    • Cyclists on the M8 motorway on a daily basis, and the Glanmire Gardaí always do nothing despite being informed about it by multiple motorists each day
    • Trundling combine harvesters on the M8 Fermoy Bypass, and you call it in only to discover that the local Gardaí sanctioned it
    • Boy racers driving at 110 mph on an R road and overtaking into oncoming traffic and Cashel Gardaí do nothing, despite being supplied with reg numbers and a willingness to serve as a witness
    • Tractors driving in the emergency lane of all our motorways on a daily basis, and the Guards just don't want to know

But they're out with their hairdriers each morning, ignoring the most dangerous law breakers while they shoot fish in barrel. A cyclist or a tractor on a motorway is much more dangerous than a car that's doing 140km/h. All concerned parties are wrong; but two are more dangerous. Is it too much to ask for priorities to be set?

The Traffic Corps make me sick, to be perfectly honest.

@cursai: If you were to take some time and look through boards, you will see numerous posts about guards at work and different experiences from the general public. It is not about giving the guards a chance, people do that but when the same result happens time and time again either with themselves or hearing similar from friends, people just lose faith.

Every scenario would have different circumstances attached obviously, but I think people need re-assuring; they need to know their local guards will assist them; they need to know their query or problem will be dealt with professionally.
    I think with all the posts especially around boards, it is becoming clear that the general public need to re-gain some faith and trust in An Garda Síochána and something should be done into ensuring that happens.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    @cursai: If you were to take some time and look through boards, you will see numerous posts about guards at work and different experiences from the general public. It is not about giving the guards a chance, people do that but when the same result happens time and time again either with themselves or hearing similar from friends, people just lose faith.

Every scenario would have different circumstances attached obviously, but I think people need re-assuring; they need to know their local guards will assist them; they need to know their query or problem will be dealt with professionally.
    I think with all the posts especially around boards, it is becoming clear that the general public need to re-gain some faith and trust in An Garda Síochána and something should be done into ensuring that happens.

You cant seriously be suggesting that Tremelos comments are actually factual are we? How in hells name does he know what other people are reporting every single day of the week or indeed, what multiple Gardai in multiple stations are or are not issuing tickets and summons for?

A quick quiz, how many tickets and summons have I issued / applied for this year? How many prisoners have I had and how many reports have I taken?

Not a single person on boards or any site knows.

Eru wrote: »
    You cant seriously be suggesting that Tremelos comments are actually factual are we? How in hells name does he know what other people are reporting every single day of the week or indeed, what multiple Gardai in multiple stations are or are not issuing tickets and summons for?

I know because on the Roads forum multiple posters post about seeing the *same* cyclists on the same stretch of motorway every day and reporting it to Glanmire station. If the Guards were acting on it, we would not be seeing exactly the same cyclists breaking the law day in and day out since September 2009.

I know about the combine incident because I reported it. (I had to call back to get an update and was then told that the local Gardaí had sanctioned it. I reported it because a group of cars almost rear-ended the combine).

And I know about the speedsters near Cashel because I rang the Guards, gave them the registration details and expressed a desire to be a witness. I heard nothing back from them.

I stand by my comments that it is a waste of time to report anything to the traffic corps. And then some.

Oh, and by the way: when I last reported the cyclists on the M8, I helpfully gave the position to the Guard as between junction 17 and 18 southbound. He hadn't a notion what I was talking about. Very professional. :rolleyes:

Another poster on the Roads forum reported seeing a squad car pulled into the M8 emergency lane near Watergrasshill with a speed camera. A cyclist had to leave the emergency lane to get past the squad car, yet the Garda did nothing. He ignored the cyclist. Maybe people should read that again. A cyclist, on a motorway, had to cycle into lane one of said motorway to get past a squad car and the occupant of the squad car did nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

kub wrote: »
    This thread reminds me of an incident I witnessed one evening down West Cork direction.
    There I was driving on the N71, there was a slow moving vehicle in front of me, so I awaited my opportunity to legally and safely pass him.
    So I did the usual, checked mirrors, indicators on etc., and off I went to pass this vehicle on the other side of the road.

Suddenly out of nowhere while I was in the process of passing out this vehicle I suddenly realised that a clown in a fancy car was passing me out, so much so, he was actually in the hard shoulder on the opposite side of the road.

Obviously I got a fright and was annoyed, I checked my phone so I could ring the lads in Bandon station, but no coverage.

So a few minutes later another fancy car passes me, this guy was moving it. I was thinking, the clowns are out tonight.

On I drove, then one of the best most satisfying things happened, the second car was in the on the side of the road in front of me. I noticed a little blue flashing strobe on the back window, then the aerials, the reg. Then i clicked the good old Bandon traffic corp in their unmarked high performance vectra was after pulling the first idiot.

I went home a happy man.

It's a small world indeed, my neighbour was in court and fined/put off the road about 6 months ago for exactly the same offence as you described (which wasn't his first traffic offence according to the newspaper), he was caught on the N71 overtaking a car which was itself overtaking another car coming down the hill and onto the straight road before the Halfway exit.

Probably a different person however, he is a gimpy boy racer type rather then a person driving a fancy car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I saw something yesterday that confused me, and left me wondering, what is it gardai actually do?
    Typical autumn scene, tractor and some form of machinery trundling along typical two way road, continuous white line.
    We wait behind.
    Some toolbag decides, theres nothing coming, and overtakes.
    Its (a) continuous white line,(b)junction (c) patrol car emerging from junction.
    Toolbag spots patrol car and decided, to pull in behind tractor, instead of continuing.
    Patrol car moves out, pointing in direction of illegal overtaker, then decides, haah, I can't be bothered waiting behind the traffic, I'll head the other way instead.
    WTF?

• Advertisement

I know because on the Roads forum multiple posters post about seeing the *same* cyclists on the same stretch of motorway every day and reporting it to Glanmire station. If the Guards were acting on it, we would not be seeing exactly the same cyclists breaking the law day in and day out since September 2009.

I know about the combine incident because I reported it. (I had to call back to get an update and was then told that the local Gardaí had sanctioned it. I reported it because a group of cars almost rear-ended the combine).

And I know about the speedsters near Cashel because I rang the Guards, gave them the registration details and expressed a desire to be a witness. I heard nothing back from them.

I stand by my comments that it is a waste of time to report anything to the traffic corps. And then some.
    Boards.ie is not real life or even remotely representative of real life. Most people especially the ones receiving summons by the guards dont publish the fact on boards. I'm sorry but your comments are a bit silly. And not helpful.

Your creating generalizations about Gardai experiences. Based on your limited experiences with Gardai and your less limited and even less relevant experience on an internet forum. Any opinions and experiences i've ever heard from reasonable members of the public have been good. The vast majority of members i know follow up everything that is reported to them to its completion(if its worth following up). Sometimes these road traffic offences aren't worth the time it takes to prosecute them compared to prosecuting and preparing a file for a burglar or even an assault causing harm. Most members would take exception at your attack on peoples faith in the Gardai which has the highest satisfaction rate in Europe. An under resourced thinly spread force dealing with antiquated super liberal biased beauracratic law, whilst working on a brutal shift roster.......and people want every whim dealt with......perfectly. The Gardai operate in the real world and not boards.ie.

I saw something yesterday that confused me, and left me wondering, what is it gardai actually do?
    Typical autumn scene, tractor and some form of machinery trundling along typical two way road, continuous white line.
    We wait behind.
    Some toolbag decides, theres nothing coming, and overtakes.
    Its (a) continuous white line,(b)junction (c) patrol car emerging from junction.
    Toolbag spots patrol car and decided, to pull in behind tractor, instead of continuing.
    Patrol car moves out, pointing in direction of illegal overtaker, then decides, haah, I can't be bothered waiting behind the traffic, I'll head the other way instead.
    WTF?

i one fell off my bike and cut my knee, an ambulance drove by....not even a band aid did they give me. I was morto!!

Maybe the Garda had something else that took priority. Seriously!!! Their an emergency service! The day is pure random. Drinking in public is illegal. Do you want every drunk in every town arrested.

A quick quiz, how many tickets and summons have I issued / applied for this year? How many prisoners have I had and how many reports have I taken?

Not a single person on boards or any site knows.

I would believe what he says yes. He has been working on the construction of roads the length and breath of Ireland for years and would see more than most incidents like those he mentioned here. I would be certain that their are more though.
    cursai wrote: »
    Your creating generalizations about Gardai experiences. Based on your limited experiences with Gardai and your less limited and even less relevant experience on an internet forum. Any opinions and experiences i've ever heard from reasonable members of the public have been good. The vast majority of members i know follow up everything that is reported to them to its completion(if its worth following up). Sometimes these road traffic offences aren't worth the time it takes to prosecute them compared to prosecuting and preparing a file for a burglar or even an assault causing harm. Most members would take exception at your attack on peoples faith in the Gardai which has the highest satisfaction rate in Europe. An under resourced thinly spread force dealing with antiquated super liberal biased beauracratic law, whilst working on a brutal shift roster.......and people want every whim dealt with......perfectly. The Gardai operate in the real world and not boards.ie.

Every station up and down this country is under-resources - fact! This country needs more guards and they need more resources, not disputing that.

No every station operates the same way despite having guards who were training the exact same way. Where I am based, dear God! From the moment they arrive they just never stop - they are the ones who have re-enforced my faith in guards and in the criminal system. Fantastic to see such dedication to the job.
    Boards.ie is full of real-life scenarios from genuine people, most of the time. I have lost count of the times I have read about scenarios of people not calling any guard based on the negative experiences they would have heard before. That is fact. People are loosing faith in the guards. Their are people who just won't contact their local station based on previous experiences either with themselves or with friends. That is also fact. Not everyone out there would or does contact the guards when they should.

I know because on the Roads forum multiple posters post
    Another poster on the Roads forum

I rest my case. Random people on the internet made a comment that may be based on their twenty minute journey on a stretch of road. That does not equal you knowing what every Garda in the area did for the entire week. Mate, it aint even close.
    I have lost count of the times I have read about scenarios of people not calling any guard based on the negative experiences they would have heard before.

Seriously? You have read anonymous peoples comments on a website about what they have heard from other people? Does it get less factual?

I rest my case. Random people on the internet made a comment that may be based on their twenty minute journey on a stretch of road. That does not equal you knowing what every Garda in the area did for the entire week. Mate, it aint even close.

Seriously? You have read anonymous peoples comments on a website about what they have heard from other people? Does it get less factual?

They are anonymous when I know them. They may be so if you were randomly reading them though, for sure.

They are anonymous when I know them. They may be so if you were randomly reading them though, for sure.

Im sorry but I hand on heart don't understand that comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

This morning driving from Newbridge – Dublin on the N7 I saw two absolute f*ckwits who should not be allowed to drive and was wondering the same question as you OP.

08 Golf, and a 98 Peugeot came flying past me - I was doing around 110kmph, I’d imagine they were easily doing 140-150 (the road limit is 100) and traffic had bottle necked just up ahead for a little stretch. Cue the weaving in and out across the three lanes like it’s a bloody video game, over/undertaking dangerously and the two cars constantly cutting in infront of each other like they are racing. Eventually the Peugeot cuts in too tightly, it looked like the Golf deliberately accelerated to try and block him off, and the two cars hit each other…Golf forced out into the grass beside the outside lane, he swerves back into the lane with the car very close to losing grip of the road.

THEN the morons continued chasing each other, going side by side shouting out the windows, tailgating and came to a very abrupt stop in the outside lane (they didnt get out of the cars, looked like the Golf was trying to catch the other guy out by braking quickly)…..all of this with a lot of traffic around them, they could have caused a feckin pile up.

The Peugeot turned off around Citywest and I ended up passing by the Golf, and the guy is now on his phone. FFS.

I got the reg of the Golf, sadly not the Peugeot, and will be reporting the pleb today.

Im sorry but I hand on heart don't understand that comment.

NO bother. Those posts are not made by anonymous people to me, when I know the people behind the user-name. They would be random anonymous people to others who don't know them for sure though.

• Advertisement

Every station up and down this country is under-resources - fact! This country needs more guards and they need more resources, not disputing that.

Mine isn't. Fact!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement