Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honda Bros for us tall people?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭navangang

would the suzuki bandit 250 1990 need to be restricted?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thewatch

Ratchet wrote: »
    ......Bros in need of restriction .....its a myth.

If you don't know what your talking about don't post!!

navangang wrote: »

Please don't buy a Bandit 250. Jebus will cry. There are an awful bike and you'll regret it. I don't post this for a laugh, seriously stay well wide of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

thewatch wrote: »

:) ohh man

had bros insured with quinn and new owner is also insured with quinn now ... ..but because some dude on the phone said it needs restrictor......bros became drag monster...:) maybe just check other bike forums...

feel free to pay for something that you dont have to...its your money

had bros insured with quinn and new owner is also insured with quinn now ... ..but because some dude on the phone said it needs restrictor......bros became drag monster...:) maybe just check other bike forums...

Someone already posted on the thread that they were asked for a restiction Cert for the Bros so that proves my point.

I think it's a load of **** arguing the learner legal staus of a Bros myself but I'd like to be given the facts as opposed to annecdotes like "some dude on the phone said"... that's bad info..leave it out! man

Someone already posted on the thread that they were asked for a restiction Cert for the Bros so that proves my point.

I think it's a load of **** arguing the learner legal staus of a Bros myself but I'd like to be given the facts as opposed to annecdotes like "some dude on the phone said"... that's bad info..leave it out! man

do us all a favour and write quick mail to quinn ..include mcn link above and ask them .....i am thinking about buying this bike and do i need restrictor?

then you get some facts...

• Advertisement

it wasnt on the phone it was in their building in blanch that said they want a restrictoe cert before they insure me..i understand what ya mean,in that it doesnt really need to be restricted,but im guessing they want a restrictor from me because its a big bike(big for someone my age) and because im only 18.

Anyone know anywhere i can get cheap restrictor kits?even 2nd hand ones?i was thinking that,if you knew a bike mechanic,could he just produce a cert without ever having the bike restricted or does the bike need to be tested with the restriction then you get the cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Anyone know anywhere i can get cheap restrictor kits?even 2nd hand ones?i was thinking that,if you knew a bike mechanic,could he just produce a cert without ever having the bike restricted or does the bike need to be tested with the restriction then you get the cert?

FI international appear to be the only accepted 'kit' available. If you fit one of their kits, you get a cert and you don't need to have the bike dyno-tested. Check out their website.

There's another dude somewhere near Portlaoise actually. He will 'stop' your throttle, dyno your bike to show it complies and issue a certificate that Quinn will accept. He can make sure you get the full 33bhp (unlike FI kits which apparently err on the side of caution).

I am aware that it sounds like BS but my buddy did this (not a guy that knows a guy- he's a close friend who shares a house with my brother). I was present for all decision making associated with his ZX). We were both extremely skeptical and I was trying to talk him into just getting an F1 kit. He kept making enquiries and kept getting assurances from Quinn and others that it was an accepted and fully above board way of restricting your bike. This was just around April gone. I think it works out cheaper by a bit.

There are second hand kits available from some shops but I'm sure it's luck of the draw. There are issues and charges around certificates later.

In reality, if you're down to the level of penny pinching where you can't spring €250 for a restriction kit, I think you may have to re-consider your approach. Biking ain't cheap. Bikes, insurance, tax, gear, tax, petrol, incidentals etc etc. It takes thousands, unless you're prepared to accept a 125...

cantdecide wrote: »
    FI international appear to be the only accepted 'kit' available. If you fit one of their kits, you get a cert and you don't need to have the bike dyno-tested. Check out their website.

There's another dude somewhere near Portlaoise actually. He will 'stop' your throttle, dyno your bike to show it complies and issue a certificate that Quinn will accept. He can make sure you get the full 33bhp (unlike FI kits which apparently err on the side of caution).

I am aware that it sounds like BS but my buddy did this (not a guy that knows a guy- he's a close friend who shares a house with my brother). I was present for all decision making associated with his ZX). We were both extremely skeptical and I was trying to talk him into just getting an F1 kit. He kept making enquiries and kept getting assurances from Quinn and others that it was an accepted and fully above board way of restricting your bike. This was just around April gone. I think it works out cheaper by a bit.

There are second hand kits available from some shops but I'm sure it's luck of the draw. There are issues and charges around certificates later.

In reality, if you're down to the level of penny pinching where you can't spring €250 for a restriction kit, I think you may have to re-consider your approach. Biking ain't cheap. Bikes, insurance, tax, gear, tax, petrol, incidentals etc etc. It takes thousands, unless you're prepared to accept a 125...
    i checked their site and its like 170£ for the honda bros:eek:which is mad money for something that slows down your bike and gives you a piece of paper..are the washers like specially made or could i find a pair of washers that could work?..i have everything i need for biking,the gear and all that..i have the money for the bike,the insurance and tax..200-250€ just seems a little steep for washers and a piece of paper:p

i checked their site and its like 170£ for the honda bros:eek:which is mad money for something that slows down your bike and gives you a piece of paper..are the washers like specially made or could i find a pair of washers that could work?..i have everything i need for biking,the gear and all that..i have the money for the bike,the insurance and tax..200-250€ just seems a little steep for washers and a piece of paper:p

It's a standard price, afaik. I think I paid €280 to restrict my Blackbird last year.

This is what they look like. Obviously, the Bros only needs two.
    extra11.jpg

They're stuck into the inlets so the amount of air the engine inhales is reduced. Less air= less power. They're nothing special about them at all except the outside diameter and the diameter of the new hole.

Presumably, it's probably the testing they have to participate in that demands the premium. Restrictors -£10. Knowing how to restrict the bike and certifying it accordingly - £160.

• Advertisement

it wasnt on the phone it was in their building in blanch that said they want a restrictoe cert before they insure me..i understand what ya mean,in that it doesnt really need to be restricted,but im guessing they want a restrictor from me because its a big bike(big for someone my age) and because im only 18.

well quinn may have issue with 18 (which is wrong anyway) still I think would be no harm getting this in writing to see how they justify restrictor requirement for a bike that is 31bhp according to one of biggest UK motorcycle sites...i just wouldnt give up quickly cause some dude said so

or just go to nice girl and try again

dont get me wrong....i just dont have time for insurers and hate to see people having difficulties getting onto 2 wheels specially for something stupid like power restriction on bros. all nt400 fans i know are insured with quinn some got letter asking for restrictor but they just said ...its learner legal

in terms of restrictors:

i cant recommend this guy enough http://www.poleonmotorcycles.com/ bit out of the way but worth it

well quinn may have issue with 18 (which is wrong anyway) still I think would be no harm getting this in writing to see how they justify restrictor requirement for a bike that is 31bhp according to one of biggest UK motorcycle sites...i just wouldnt give up quickly cause some dude said so

dont get me wrong....i just dont have time for insurers and hate to see people having difficulties getting onto 2 wheels specially for something stupid like power restriction on bros. all nt400 fans i know are insured with quinn some got letter asking for restrictor but they just said ...its learner legal

in terms of restrictors:

i cant recommend this guy enough http://www.poleonmotorcycles.com/ bit out of the way but worth it
    i know it drives me mad when that mcn site states that its only 31bhp and yet quinn want a restrictor on it:mad:..im gonna try ask them would a dyno cert do.hopefully it will or im never gonna get anywhere with biking for at least a couple of years:(..ive read about that guy in trim who does the restrictions.do you know how much he'd do a bros for?

It's a standard price, afaik. I think I paid €280 to restrict my Blackbird last year.

extra11.jpg

They're stuck into the inlets so the amount of air the engine inhales is reduced. Less air= less power. They're nothing special about them at all except the outside diameter and the diameter of the new hole.

Presumably, it's probably the testing they have to participate in that demands the premium. Restrictors -£10. Knowing how to restrict the bike and certifying it accordingly - £160.
    i actually laughed a little when i seen what 250€ of my money would get me.the price for them is ridiculousl.,..oh right now i understand how they work.i hadnt a clue what the washers actually did.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

extra11.jpg

I didn't even get a washer on my Z750, all I got was 50mm of metal on the throttle body for £200. But as Cantdecide says, you aren't paying for the metal you're paying for the knowledge and cert.

in terms of restrictors:

Why are you ignoring all the sites that say a Bros is 37bhp, which is what Honda claimed at launch, and posting the one that agrees with you. Unfortunately the power restriction is on the crank, which is where manufactures always give their power figures from, so reading 33bhp or 31bhp at the back wheel puts you over the limit.

BTW I dislike insurance companies and the sh!te they put people through. But the OP is a young fella looking to get insured on a big(ish) bike and paying out a large wad of cash for the pleasure. I've heard too many bad stories about Quinn, not that the others are any better, not paying out or cancelling policies for the stupidest reasons I don't want the OP to only have Garda insurance.

As I've said before the insurance company will always take your money, but they'll do their best not pay out if needed and unless the OP gets it in writing that they'll except the restriction fitted they could have issues when making a claim.

And again. It doesn't mater if they insure you on a bike, if they find out when you make a claim that you aren't licensed to ride it they won't pay out any Comp cover and you could be sued for 3rd party damages.

OP,have you looked at any of the factory restricted bikes? They may be in a lower class then the Bros and so be cheaper and easier to insure.

in terms of restrictors:

Will you please stop posting. You haven't a clue. It doesn't matter a toss what a website says a bikes power is. Insurance companies go on original manufacturing specs and the Bros was over.

I doubt any bros in this day and age is over the power limit but thats the way it goes. With Quinn in short you risk them challenguing any claim you might have in the event of accident.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I didn't even get a washer on my Z750, all I got was 50mm of metal on the throttle body for £200. But as Cantdecide says, you aren't paying for the metal you're paying for the knowledge and cert.

Why are you ignoring all the sites that say a Bros is 37bhp, which is what Honda claimed at launch, and posting the one that agrees with you. Unfortunately the power restriction is on the crank, which is where manufactures always give their power figures from, so reading 33bhp or 31bhp at the back wheel puts you over the limit.

BTW I dislike insurance companies and the sh!te they put people through. But the OP is a young fella looking to get insured on a big(ish) bike and paying out a large wad of cash for the pleasure. I've heard too many bad stories about Quinn, not that the others are any better, not paying out or cancelling policies for the stupidest reasons I don't want the OP to only have Garda insurance.

As I've said before the insurance company will always take your money, but they'll do their best not pay out if needed and unless the OP gets it in writing that they'll except the restriction fitted they could have issues when making a claim.

And again. It doesn't mater if they insure you on a bike, if they find out when you make a claim that you aren't licensed to ride it they won't pay out any Comp cover and you could be sued for 3rd party damages.

OP,have you looked at any of the factory restricted bikes? They may be in a lower class then the Bros and so be cheaper and easier to insure.
    thanks for all the replies.....ye ive looked into factory restricted bikes but there like double my budget,i'd never be able to afford them unless i win the lotto:P..oh ri,i never knew the honda bros was 37bhp at one stage:eek:,feel kind of stupid now asking does it need a restrictor:o

thanks for all the replies.....ye ive looked into factory restricted bikes but there like double my budget,i'd never be able to afford them unless i win the lotto:P..oh ri,i never knew the honda bros was 37bhp at one stage:eek:,feel kind of stupid now asking does it need a restrictor:o

Don't be. Until recently Quinn insured anything under 40bhp as learner legal, which may be where Ratchet is coming from. Now they are bankrupt they are clamping down.

Will you please stop posting. You haven't a clue. It doesn't matter a toss what a website says a bikes power is. Insurance companies go on original manufacturing specs and the Bros was over.

I doubt any bros in this day and age is over the power limit but thats the way it goes. With Quinn in short you risk them challenguing any claim you might have in the event of accident.

yeah you right
    me and other just got lucky with quinn which politly acknowledged the fact that bros did need a cert

you dont get insurered if you dont have cert and if you change bikes on current policy they will cancel your insurance if you dont procedure cert after you receive the letter.....how they gonna chalenge you ?:rolleyes:

on the other subject quinn will accept non FI cert before you start again...I dropped cert to D15 office myself .....average price for non FI 130--150 for carb restriction ...

.how they gonna chalenge you ?:rolleyes:

They don't challenge you, they are quite happy to take your money. When you make a claim they send an assessor out and they check you're bike. If they find any discrepancies they will take that into account when handling your claim.

As an example a person I know made a claim for water damage after the freeze last winter. The assessor came out to their house and the only thing they did was measure it. Why would they measure the square footage of the whole house for water damage in one room?

hi,thanks for your help and opinons people,,i went out and got the honda bros in the end..got it restricted for €110:D..just a quick question on the bike,is there a choke on the bike?(couldnt find the choke this morning),and would antifreeze be what i put into the coolant?

• Advertisement

...got it restricted for €110:D...

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jarmstrong001

just a quick question on the bike,is there a choke on the bike?(couldnt find the choke this morning)

Choke on my 1990 mkII bros is a sliding lever just inside the left handgrip. Towards the front of the bike is off, pull it towards you to turn on.
    Good luck with the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Don't buy the bandit 250, there's a good chance it will break your heart......

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Choke on my 1990 mkII bros is a sliding lever just inside the left handgrip. Towards the front of the bike is off, pull it towards you to turn on.
    Good luck with the bike!

Here's a diagram. The view is from standing in front of the bike and your looking for item number 4 which you will dial/twist/pull towards you (whilst sitting on the bike) to engage the choke on when the engine is cold. http://homepage.eircom.net/~hondabros/partsfiche/LEVERS%20AND%20SWITCHES.html

Advertisement