Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honda Bros for us tall people?

Options
  • 16-08-2011 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi im just wondering would the honda bros 400cc be too small for a 6ft guy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭robodonkey

I'm a short arse and I found it cramped (but great when stopped at lights etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I would say yes. I'm 5'4" and could get both feet on the ground comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭navangang

cantdecide wrote: »
    bros(nt400)not there,only the 650cc

would a suzuki bandit 250 be any better?..what about this one?the green one
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2441023

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A mate of mine had a Bros, he's about 6' and was fine. The 400 and 650 are basically the same bike. I think the 250 is slightly smaller, but have never seen them together.

What age are you, NG?

What age are you, NG?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thewatch

I had one as a second bike up to recently and they're fine. I'm 6'3" and it wasn't overly cramped. Great bike too

thewatch wrote: »
    I had one as a second bike up to recently and they're fine. I'm 6'3" and it wasn't overly cramped. Great bike too
    you think i should get a honda bros then ye?..theres one on donedeal for 850,only problem is clutch is beginning to slip.Is it a big and an expensive job to fix?..Im sorry for question after question but im just making sure i get the most reliable and a bike thats not too small for me:p

• Advertisement

What about a Varadero or a TDR125?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2144572

My brother is 6'3" and had one when he was 18...

He did 20,000 miles (yes, miles) on it in a single year!!

What about a Varadero or a TDR125?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2144572

My brother is 6'3" and had one when he was 18...

He did 20,000 miles (yes, miles) on it in a single year!!
    For my first bike i was thinking of getting one of them,but i need a bike bigger then 150cc,so im stuck deciding between a suzuki bandit 250 or a honda bros 400cc:(ha..there the only bikes because my budget is only like a €1000,and i found one of each for under 1000€

navangang wrote: »
    you think i should get a honda bros then ye?..theres one on donedeal for 850,only problem is clutch is beginning to slip.Is it a big and an expensive job to fix?..Im sorry for question after question but im just making sure i get the most reliable and a bike thats not too small for me:p

I wouldn't buy it unless it's cheap if the clutch is slipping. €850 is good money for those. Repairs and a good serviceing can add up to a fair amount and they are an old bike.

Also beware of the learner legal claims. They need restricting for Quinn to insure. They do look for a cert now

For my first bike i was thinking of getting one of them,but i need a bike bigger then 150cc,so im stuck deciding between a suzuki bandit 250 or a honda bros 400cc:(ha..there the only bikes because my budget is only like a €1000,and i found one of each for under 1000€

The Bandit 250 is well known as a terrible buy. Very unreliable. Defineately rule that one out

You could try a VTR250 or a Hornet 250 or they cruisers Dragstar/Marauder/Rebel 250

I wouldn't buy it unless it's cheap if the clutch is slipping. €850 is good money for those. Repairs and a good serviceing can add up to a fair amount and they are an old bike.

Also beware of the learner legal claims. They need restricting for Quinn to insure. They do look for a cert now
    so should i go with the suzuki bandit 250 then,since ill have to pay an extra 250 for the restricton kit for the bros?..im so confused on what to get :(

The Bandit 250 is well known as a terrible buy. Very unreliable. Defineately rule that one out

You could try a VTR250 or a Hornet 250 or they cruisers Dragstar/Marauder/Rebel 250
    cant find any vtr,and the hornet is way out of my budget,they going for 2000 and over:eek:

Can you do the IBT etc on a 125 with an A license? You can always do the test on a school CBF 250 or something like that, if the test is all you're worried about. Maybe it's just because I have an affinity with them but if I were in your position, I'd need a very good reason not to go for a TDR- they have loads of 2-stroke pep and you would be buying a significantly younger bike than the likes of a Bandit.

Have you tried for insurance for the likes of a CB400? Am I right in thinking they would be more substancial in terms of height etc?

Your best bet is to take your time and get someone experienced to go look at bikes with you. Ask around,someone will help. Don't rush into buying. Offer below the asking price if you have to or wait a little longer untill you get some more cash.
    Hornet 250's are at an asking price of around €1800, offer a few hundred lower and you might pick one up.

Better to buy a decent bike than to buy cheap and put a load of money into setting it right and hate it for that reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

Seen this on adverts.
    If yer still aftr a bros it doesnt look like a bad price.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/other-honda/other-honda/honda-bros-400cc-for-sale/777296

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

bros is great bike with narrow frame feels smaller then it is but ultra handy in town...

bros 400 doesnt need restrictor

• Advertisement

Ratchet wrote: »
    bros is great bike with narrow frame feels smaller then it is but ultra handy in town...

bros 400 doesnt need restrictor

Quinn claim they do and will want it restricted and to see a cert.

And Quinn are pretty much the only insurer who go near young bike drivers.

.... bros is within the power limit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

http://www.donedeal.ie/find/all/for-sale/Ireland/cb1

Couple of CB1s there, similar to bros but better. Doubt that 2nd one is learner legal unless it's restricted somehow.

Have you got quotes for insurance yet? That will be a bigger issue then you being 6 foot. Stick bikes you fancy into Quinn and see how much it'll cost to get on the road.

.... bros is within the power limit

AFAIK a Bros is 40bhp and no where near the kg/kw limit, if you want to risk that.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Have you got quotes for insurance yet? That will be a bigger issue then you being 6 foot. Stick bikes you fancy into Quinn and see how much it'll cost to get on the road.

AFAIK a Bros is 40bhp and no where near the kg/kw limit, if you want to risk that.

different sites claim different bhp but quinn cant say no to this

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Honda/Honda-Bros-NT400-1988-1992/

i didnt have to show any restriction for my bros400 or my brothers and we had 3 of them in family insured with quinn ....dont think that changed within the month

different sites claim different bhp but quinn cant say no to this

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Honda/Honda-Bros-NT400-1988-1992/

i didnt have to show any restriction for my bros400 or my brothers and we had 3 of them in family insured with quinn ....dont think that changed within the month

I'll raise you this and [url=lhttp://hawkgtforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21280]this[/url].

The big issue with the restriction on licences is that it's a civil law issue, so the burden of proof doesn't lie with the plaintiff but with the defendant and there's no reasonable doubt in civil law.*

*This is purely for insurance purposes and has no affect on you getting prosecuted or not. Don't forget that an insurance company will always take your money, but getting them to pay out is a totally different mater. As no mater what you are insured to ride or drive, at the end of the day it's always the operators responsibility to prove they are legally allowed to operate it.

i went into there office in blanch and they said they wont even give me a quote until the manager has seen a restrictor cert:confused:.i was pretty p****d because i travelled from navan to go to them,i couldnt understand why they couldnt just give me some kind of figure:confused:..Thats why i had my eyes on the bandit 250 because i was able to get a quote online.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭robodonkey

RE the bhp on Honda Bros, widely reported as 33bhp. Even if one was to be claiming 40bhp I'd suggest a few horses would have escaped over the years anyway!

Insurer may look for cert (I got asked for mine mid-way through policy) "for their records" but IIRC this was due to pressure from cops/govt.

It is entirely the responsibility of the rider at the end of the day however.

If I was on learner permit again, I'd be on a Bros 400 and wouldn't have any fear of police/insurance being invalid.

I was stopped a few times on the old Bros, but never questioned re Restriction/BHP.

robodonkey wrote: »
    RE the bhp on Honda Bros, widely reported as 33bhp. Even if one was to be claiming 40bhp I'd suggest a few horses would have escaped over the years anyway!

Insurer may look for cert (I got asked for mine mid-way through policy) "for their records" but IIRC this was due to pressure from cops/govt.

It is entirely the responsibility of the rider at the end of the day however.

If I was on learner permit again, I'd be on a Bros 400 and wouldn't have any fear of police/insurance being invalid.

I was stopped a few times on the old Bros, but never questioned re Restriction/BHP.

I think the issue is more to do with new policies for a bros, Quinn claim they want a bros restricted and they want to see a cert.

So no matter what the specific bikes actual bhp is, your gonna be handing out an extra 250 euro for a restriction because you arnt gonna get insured if you don't.

So yeah man, if you don't want the hassle then just don't get a bros.

• Advertisement

I'll raise you this and [url=lhttp://hawkgtforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21280]this[/url].

The big issue with the restriction on licences is that it's a civil law issue, so the burden of proof doesn't lie with the plaintiff but with the defendant and there's no reasonable doubt in civil law.*

*This is purely for insurance purposes and has no affect on you getting prosecuted or not. Don't forget that an insurance company will always take your money, but getting them to pay out is a totally different mater. As no mater what you are insured to ride or drive, at the end of the day it's always the operators responsibility to prove they are legally allowed to operate it.

......Bros in need of restriction .....its a myth.

Advertisement