Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

stevieob wrote: »
    suppose you can't get better than a freebie.... just don't let the farmer catch you with a saw in one hand and his tree in the other!!

dont think he meant that, i think he meant buying a tree grown locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

30% off with RBL30 entered at checkout on merino baselayers.

i have a short sleeve one that i got in a bundle. it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

manafana wrote: »

yep (although i could walk upo the road and cut one down ) i choose to support my local guys and buy one grown a few miles from me (smug/ buy irish etc etc :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

yep (although i could walk upo the road and cut one down ) i choose to support my local guys and buy one grown a few miles from me (smug/ buy irish etc etc :p)

good on you, a lot people don't think of the affect of not buying the irish produced version of an item for the sake of a small saving. Milk is one of them, I always try buy Irish and from southern based creameries if possible, we have enough milk of our own without buying anyone else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Ya I know. It was meant tongue in cheek :p
    good on you, a lot people don't think of the affect of not buying the irish produced version of an item for the sake of a small saving. Milk is one of them, I always try buy Irish and from southern based creameries if possible, we have enough milk of our own without buying anyone else's.

I totally agree on the buying Irish thing. However, sometimes you have to ask yourself WTF when it comes to price. Eg. last night I was in Dunnes (at least an Irish shop anyway:)) and wanted to get some Jam and Marmalade. This stuff from the real Irish food co is delicious and what I like to get. However I bought this every bit as nice high end product instead. Reason - - €3.29 v €2.29.

So how can a good premium Jam made in France and shipped all the way to Ireland be 30% cheaper than something made up the road? I put it down to greed. Sometimes the Irish stuff is sold on offer and I get it then. I generally don't mind spending a few pence more to get Irish products, but I'm afraid if difference is crazy, then I will be buying the import. Actually last night I bought Barrys tea bags for the first time ever in a defiant move from Lyons as I only found out last week that Lyons tea is no longer an Irish product but made in the UK. Barrys was a few cent more for the 80 bags, but its's Irish!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

So how can a good premium Jam made in France and shipped all the way to Ireland be 30% cheaper than something made up the road?!

going off topic, but
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economies_of_scale

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I totally agree on the buying Irish thing. However, sometimes you have to ask yourself WTF when it comes to price. Eg. last night I was in Dunnes (at least an Irish shop anyway:)) and wanted to get some Jam and Marmalade. This stuff from the real Irish food co is delicious and what I like to get. However I bought this every bit as nice high end product instead. Reason - - €3.29 v €2.29.

So how can a good premium Jam made in France and shipped all the way to Ireland be 30% cheaper than something made up the road? I put it down to greed. Sometimes the Irish stuff is sold on offer and I get it then. I generally don't mind spending a few pence more to get Irish products, but I'm afraid if difference is crazy, then I will be buying the import. Actually last night I bought Barrys tea bags for the first time ever in a defiant move from Lyons as I only found out last week that Lyons tea is no longer an Irish product but made in the UK. Barrys was a few cent more for the 80 bags, but its's Irish!

Real Irish Food Co. Jam's are only 2.20 in Tesco :P

Picked up a jar of raspberry yesterday :D

mossym wrote: »

Without reading all that, I know and understand what you mean. Maybe what we need to do though is get this thread back on topic and have a serious look at our economies of scale and get some more Irish bargins up here so we can all take advantage of them.

P.S. I don't know, but I'd be pretty sure Ikea are not shipping christmas trees all the way from Sweden to sell for 10 bob. For all we know, they come from up the road from ednwireland :)

Seaneh wrote: »
    Real Irish Food Co. Jam's are only 2.20 in Tesco :P

Picked up a jar of raspberry yesterday :D

Giving all yer money to the Brits you are :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Actually last night I bought Barrys tea bags for the first time ever in a defiant move from Lyons as I only found out last week that Lyons tea is no longer an Irish product but made in the UK. Barrys was a few cent more for the 80 bags, but its's Irish!

That's unbelievable, I always assumed that Lyons was still made in Ireland. I buy both Lyons and Barrys - but from now on it will just be Barrys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭nilhg

Wildly off topic here but, it'd be much cheaper to ship something like jam than fresh fruit to make the jam here, possibly the *berry and *currant jams are made with Irish fruit in season but the marmalade can't be. The rules re labeling are so poor that it's hard to believe what you think you are reading in most cases and a quick look (apologies in advance if I'm missing something ovbious here) at the Real Irish Food company's website doesn't seem to suggest that they grow their own/use exclusively Irish fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

P.S. I don't know, but I'd be pretty sure Ikea are not shipping christmas trees all the way from Sweden to sell for 10 bob. For all we know, they come from up the road from ednwireland :)

There are plenty Nordic Christmas trees for sale in Ireland every year. I always ask where they come from before I buy, but two years ago I found it hard to buy an Irish one (in Greystones) and ended up with one that had come from Holland!

Last year the one I got had been grown in Roundwood, a much better outcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Anybody know of any good bargains on cycling related Paraphernalia?
    Slo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭marketty

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    Anybody know of any good bargains on cycling related Paraphernalia?
    Slo

Well I'll be having jam sandwiches when I go for my spin tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭topcat77

Is this a cycling thread!!!!!!! Moderator please sort this out!!!!

topcat77 wrote: »

oh shush, it's just a few ot posts, sure it's what makes boards what it is.

Right, I'm off to make toast to spread my delicious RealIrishFoodCo jam, which I bought in Tesco for a fantastically cheap price of €2.20 in Tesco, on top of.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

oh shush, it's just a few ot posts, sure it's what makes boards what it is.

Right, I'm off to make toast to spreak my delicious RealIrishFoodCo jam, which I bought in Tesco for a fantastically cheap price of €2.20 in Tesco, on top of.

So long as you rode to Tesco on your reasonably priced bicycle it's ok for this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭topcat77

Ok i'm sorry! Sore head from last night :o

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    So long as you rode to Tesco on your reasonably priced bicycle it's ok for this thread :)

On the footpath, the whole 2km each way, with no lights, and I rode across the pelican crossings without looking while the little man was red and traffic lights were green, with my ipod on full blast.

No handed.

Because I'm good cyclist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

On the footpath, the whole 2km each way, with no lights, and I rode across the pelican crossings without looking while the little man was red and traffic lights were green, with my ipod on full blast.

No handed.

Because I'm good cyclist.

But did you wear a helmet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

letape wrote: »
    That's unbelievable, I always assumed that Lyons was still made in Ireland. I buy both Lyons and Barrys - but from now on it will just be Barrys!

Robert Roberts are Irish too, well moreso than Lyons.

colm_gti wrote: »
    But did you wear a helmet?

of course, and hi-viz underpants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Have I accidentally opened mumsnet? Who likes Lidl nappies?

DS gave DH a kick in the bo***cks yesterday, according to DD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

This stuff from the real Irish food co is delicious and what I like to get. However I bought this every bit as nice high end product instead. Reason - - €3.29 v €2.29.

I've never been impressed by the ingredients list on The Real Irish Food Company's jams and I wouldn't consider them on a par with the Bonne Maman ones. Follain's extra fruit jams, on the other hand, are great and certainly up there with Bonne Maman though they are up their in price too (in Tescos). Worth it though. I like jam.

There's not nearly enough discussion about jam in the cycling forum. I hope I've done my bit to help redress things :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

doozerie wrote: »
    There's not nearly enough discussion about jam in the cycling forum. I hope I've done my bit to help redress things :)
    PMSL, what the hell have I done bringing up Jam and tea. Actually, why don't we all meet up over christmas in a cycle shop new years sale and compare our pocket snacks to see who has the best jam sandwich. Does anyone bring a flask of tea with them on a spin instead of water?
    studiorat wrote: »

Holy mustard seeds.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭marketty

Tea/coffee and 2 scones with cream and JAM for a 5er out at the hill of Tara is a popular cycling bargain

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

topcat77 wrote: »

There's no point posting "Mods sort this out" because (although I wish we were) we're not psychic and have no way of knowing if there's a potential problem in a thread unless someone reports it.

Now, can we get back on topic please? There's ample opportunity for food chat in the campervan, where it won't annoy other users.

• Advertisement

Oops! For my penance, today's bargain (via the Advent Calendar) on RoseBikes is 20% off when you buy 2 products from the Care and Maintenance section of their site. Their shipping charge is 8.95euro though, so something to bear in mind.

...and no mention of jam whatsoever on their site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement