Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

They are heavy, the valve on 2 of them was problematic and they roll quite badly, the ride feels very harsh. I can lend you a couple if you like to try them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

joker77 wrote: »
    I'm on the lookout for a cheap tube deal - any reason these are meh compared to other brands?

I bought a box of them before. I don't know why exactly, but they punctued a hell of a lot more than any other brand I've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Walnutsink wrote: »
    Don't know what the quality is like but not a bad price!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=78327&PartnerID=10770

I had two of these recently and both went at the seam. A truely aweful tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I've had a good few of them, and most of them work perfectly well. I have heard of issues, and one of the mechanics in the shop I used to work in hated them, but I've got no negative reports on them. So much so that I recently bought a box of them. I do not regret this decision yet, having only used one of them so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I had a set, they both punctured within about 2 days of using them. They're just terrible tubes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I agree with the tubes being meh, but they are cheap and I've found them fine so far.
    Had a valve feck up last week, but I had the same issue with any number of other tubes.
    They are heavy, can't comment on the roll but I certainly haven't noticed it and would find it hard to work out the additional friction caused by an inner tube.
    In relation to punctures, no tube protects from punctures, that's the tyres job. If glass etc gets through the type pretty much any tube will suffer.
    Splits etc are different, they are directly linked to quality, but its misleading to suggest that these tubes are any worse at punctures than others.
    For general use, sportives training etc they are grand. Big events, I would go for something better, and lighter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Those tubes are decent. I've had loads. Only one problem with one valve. But i've had issues with other brands.
    AstraMonti wrote: »
    they roll quite badly,
    You can tell how your tube rolls? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭g0g

€ 27.55 delivered (less any fatcheese cashback) on Wiggle seems like great value for a pair of padded bib shorts. 50% off at moment plus they have codes for if you send arond € 100 or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i've used those tubes for ages and had no problems with them

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I've used those tubes for ages, absolutely no problems with them. I just ordered another box, in fact. They are a little bulkier and heavier than some other tubes though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

I've also used those tubes for a fair while now and have had no issues with them. No more puncture prone than any other tubes I've used.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

You can tell how your tube rolls? Really?

If I am really being anal about it yeah. The effect is even better recognized with good quality-high TPI tires. With a cheap tube the ride can feel harsh and less forgiving while with a good one the ride feels more smooth, but I don't think I can't tell difference between a cheap scwalbe and a cheap generic for example. We should do a blind test to see how much out of my @ss i am talking here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Anyone have a valid CRC discount code please???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Michelin Krylion Carbon tyres for €25.63 each. Good training tyres. Going to pick up 2-off now as my training tyres are well worn.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20460

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Joxer_S

I've had a number of those tubes tear near the valve, wouldn't buy them again

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

This looks like a good deal from Merlin.

AFAIK, they still do free delivery to Ireland on orders over £100.

Got this as a early birthday present from my folks. Had the hard tail mounted up on it this evening. Great piece of kit imho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Michelin Krylion Carbon tyres for €25.63 each. Good training tyres. Going to pick up 2-off now as my training tyres are well worn.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20460

Thats a good price. Any comments on how they compare to Conti GP4000s or 4 Seasons in terms of rolling resistance, puncture resistance and longevity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Thats a good price. Any comments on how they compare to Conti GP4000s or 4 Seasons in terms of rolling resistance, puncture resistance and longevity?

I have Krylion Carbons on my "winter" bikes and GP4000S on my "good" bike. I've never had any trouble really with either, the Krylion Carbon's I've found grip well and roll well too, and I don't think I've ever had a puncture with one. I have had the rear wheel spin on the Michelin's occasionally though on a wet climb but I can't say for sure that the Continental's wouldn't have fared the same on the same road in the same conditions. It's tricky comparing them directly though since they've always been on different bikes - also for a while now I've been using latex tubes in the Michelin's which supposedly are more puncture resistant and that may play a part in their reliability. I suspect that the GP4000S have the edge in terms of grip but I don't think there is a lot in it.

One important factor that my memory isn't helping with though is how difficult it is to fit the Michelin's to my wheels. It has been a while since I fit them so I can't quite recall. I think they are okay with my Rolf Prima wheels but if memory serves they were a bugger with my Pro-Lite wheels. I'm not sure that I've ever had to remove and re-fit my Continentals from/on my Mavic wheels so I can't comment on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭slipstream

garmin edge 705 + hrm + cadence/speed sensor for 230E on ibood today.

colm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭g0g

slipstream wrote: »
    garmin edge 705 + hrm + cadence/speed sensor for 230E on ibood today.

colm
    Yeah just noticed that. Seems a good price but note that excludes € 12.50 postage and it's a "Newly Overhauled" unit (doesn't that mean not brand new?), although it does have a 2 year warranty. Handtec is only about € 10 more (incl delivery) for a definitely brand new version.

6675_0i_hi_1339171891.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

One for the girls...Craft active sleeveless jersey for €19.59

http://www.bikeinn.com/bike/craft-active-bike-sleeveless-women/31678/p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Powertap hubs on CRC are reduced upto 60% (last years I presume):
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39769

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Garmin edge 500 €189 in Ultimatesports for base model.
    see link:

http://ultimatesports.ie/category/garmin/

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Vermarc are flogging 2011 quickstep ag2r omega pharma lotto gear some good deals and more available if you give them a shout or email
    http://www.vermarcuk.co.uk/special-offers.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

dvntie wrote: »
    Vermarc are flogging 2011 quickstep ag2r omega pharma lotto gear some good deals and more available if you give them a shout or email

Love vermarc shorts. I'm very tempted to get the AG2R for Roche but I've way too much cycling gear at the moment.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

dvntie wrote: »

thanks quality shorts, got lotto gear will age well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ryano777

Any advice on sizes, is vermarc sizing chart accurate?

6' 3", 33 inch waist, 85kg, 42 chest

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Ryano777 wrote: »
    Any advice on sizes, is vermarc sizing chart accurate?

6' 3", 33 inch waist, 85kg, 42 chest

Not sure about the large sizes but have now got two pairs of vermarc bibs and their small fits as normal. (same as castelli & pearl izumi)
    FYI they do have the national kit ie chavanel's french gear and also tom boonens jersey from last yr too so its well worth dropping them a line to find out what they have and in what size.
    Latest deal i saw up on twitter was 4 of a combination of gloves, cotton cap, baseball cap, headband and one other for a total of £20 plus postage of £6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Ryano777

Thanks for that, I'll give them a shout 2moro

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement