Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

codie wrote: »
    It has been on for offer for sometime now.I got 4 a month ago

Cheers,I also thought the offer on tubes had expired but managed to pick up a few on offer as well as the Muc Off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

MB Lacey wrote: »
    What Merino tops are you using?

The ones I like most are from ChocolateFish, they are by far the best I've tried. Unfortunately, they stopped selling them a while back. It's genuine New Zealand merino wool, manufactured in New Zealand. It performs very well and has lasted very well too.

I also have Rapha merino base layers (short-sleeved t-shirts basically) and their merino polos, which are also good. Unlike with ChocolateFish, last time I checked Rapha weren't exactly forthcoming on where they source their wool. They weren't clear on where the garments are manufactured either but according to the stickers they come with they are made in China or Taiwan (can't remember which offhand). They've lasted well though.

My Icebreaker top is bottom of this list. It's okay, but it's not on a par with the ones above. It hasn't held its shape as well and it feels generally more fragile and not as soft. Their garments are manufactured in China, and from what I understand they source their wool from China too. They are not cheap either, I consider the ones above far better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

doozerie wrote: »
    I also have Rapha merino base layers (short-sleeved t-shirts basically)

I'm slowly coming round to the ways of lycra (MAMIL alert!), but I must confess I don't really "get" the base layer thing. If it's nippy out enough to call for two layers, I'll put on a t-shirt under my bib tights and jersey. Are base layers noticeably better than that? And what sort if benefit does one get at what sort of price point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Base layers are much better at regulating body temperature than a T shirt would be. They are designed to be breathable while still keeping you warm. They are also designed to "wick away" sweat which stops the body from getting a chill. T shirts will soak up sweat and hold onto it, which is at least uncomfortable. There are much more technical issues too such as support and promotion of blood flow which some of our more scientifically minded members could explain better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭fat bloke

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I'm slowing coming round to the ways of lycra (MAMIL alert!), but I must confess I don't really "get" the base layer thing. If it's nippy out enough to call for two layers, I'll out a t-shirt until my bib tights and jersey. Are base layers noticeably better than that? And what sort if benefit does one get at what sort of price point?

A t-shirt.

A cotton t-shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Go into heatons or another sports store and pick ip a couple of the underarmour tops not necessarily helly hansen the cheaper options are good also. You don't need to be going out buying merino wool base layers unless you plan on cycling through a blizzard.

You'll certainly notice the difference if you're currently wearing a tshirt whilst cycling you must be humming at the end of a long spin. :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    G You don't need to be going out buying merino wool base layers unless you plan on cycling through a blizzard.

Merino wool also keeps you cooler than other base layers in warmer temperature in my experience - another benefit is they don't need to be washed as often.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

I'd never buy merino due to price and my own ethical heaitancy. I've found that the under armour is way overpriced but good. If you find us stuff like Columbia fir example that can be very good, but really you can get away with two decent ones unless you're riding 18 times a week through any weather at all.
    I get most of mine at charity shops here and there. Sometimes they've been ruined by hot wash but often they're fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭JMcL

slap/dash wrote: »
    I'd never buy merino due to price and my own ethical heaitancy. I've found that the under armour is way overpriced but good. If you find us stuff like Columbia fir example that can be very good, but really you can get away with two decent ones unless you're riding 18 times a week through any weather at all.
    I get most of mine at charity shops here and there. Sometimes they've been ruined by hot wash but often they're fine

I must say I'm a fan of Decathlon's Kipsta base layers (they're in the football/rugby section - not cycling). They tick a lot of boxes - good value, keep you warm, do a good job wicking, and they don't really get stinky either, so you can get several days commute between washes. They've kept me acceptably toasty within reason over the last 2 winters with arm warmers/gilet/soft shell as needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

normally by under armour cold gear compression base layers when its cheap on mandmdirect.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

normally by under armour cold gear compression base layers when its cheap on mandmdirect.com

I do the same, every few weeks i do a check of M&M, Amazon etc and usually manage to pick them up for about 20-25 quid. They are well worth that money!! Best thermals ive ever worn although i find the older version better than the newer models

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Outletinn with NetApp Endura kit for dirt cheap. They are rebranding next season but this is cheaper than I've seen anywhere else
    Not allowed post links :(

whats delivery like looks be some good deals

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

tempted to order a pair of these

Pearl Izumi road bike- shoes

anyone know what the sizing is like in comparison to Shimano?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

bren_mc wrote: »

An Amazon review says to size up ...

http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-iZUMi-Mens-Elite-Cycling/dp/B005925T2I
    Nice quality at a good price. Size somewhat small. I agree with other reviewers recommendations to buy a larger size. I bought a 44 size. Other brands like sidi fit perfectly. I recommend to buy a number larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

I'd say size up as well. I'm a size 43 in Specialized and have a size 44 pair of Pearl Izumi's

Though shimano are small fitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Tempted by these. I'm a size 9 (minimum) in "normal" shoes, which is 42. Sounds like I should go for a 43 or 44 with these. Should I err on the side of caution and go for 44...or should I just buy bog standard shoes in Halfords for the same price..decisions/decisions....

I went with the 44, I can always wear additional pair socks, and don't have sweaty feet so happy to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I'm 42 and wear a 43 in shimano.

Just back form a trip to Mr.Price to pick up some lightbulbs.Ended up buying a new footpump for €9.99. They also had Duracell LED headlamps with batteries for €5.99.Bike toolkits for €2.99 and a fancier one for €5.99.Patches & tyre levers were included in the €5.99 one.Small pumps for carrying on the bike were €2.99

$T2eC16RHJH8E9qSEVnvVBROgHYQ1qQ~~60_12.JPG

The headlamp was something like this one:

60030.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

The tool from the kit is the same as the lidl one by the looks of it, if I recall thats €3.99 for a similar kit with the under saddle bag

Are these compatible with look keo pedals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Yes both pairs are look compatible.

The elite 3 seem to be only look where as the 2 are both look and spd

Yea they are the III's are only three hole compatible so can only be used with look keos's, shimano spd sl etc. The II's are have an extra two bolts that are used for spd's and other mtb cleat types if you are that way inclined to use MTB cleats on a road bike.

I'd go for the III's if they have your size and colour you like. The carbon sole will be much stiffer. I have the tri version of them for four years and really like them.

Thanks. Sorry for the blunt/abrupt question. Just panicked a little, am on my phone, I bought a pair today and am total newbie and then had a horrible thought that they won't be compatible. Having not yet quelled the misgivings I have about buying shoes I'm not sure will be the right fit!! Thanks again.

Thanks. Sorry for the blunt/abrupt question. Just panicked a little, am on my phone, I bought a pair today and am total newbie and then had a horrible thought that they won't be compatible. Having not yet quelled the misgivings I have about buying shoes I'm not sure will be the right fit!! Thanks again.

Don't worry sizing should be ok I'm a 8.5-9 depending on the shoe and my 44 izumis are a good fit 43's were tight when I tried them. Size is not everything a particular brand of shoe may suit better than others. A lot of people swear by specialized shoes I'm not that mad about mine(they are entry level ones though and black bought before I knew the euro rules:) )

Tesco Arklow had a load of gear reduced,Laoch brand Winter stuff.

All hi-vis.Jackets,gloves,armbands.Bike computer was a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

macnab wrote: »
    Nice looking Torque Wrench for €31.99 on Rose Bikes. 2-24 Nm range.

http://www.rosebikes.com/product/detail/aid:688277

Mine arrived in the country earlier today, hoping it gets delivered tomorrow... been after one of these for a little while now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

buffalo wrote: »
    Mine arrived in the country earlier today, hoping it gets delivered tomorrow... been after one of these for a little while now!
    Just bought a set today, looks good value alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Any tips on the best turbo trainer deal going for a lowly Scone these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭fat bloke

buffalo wrote: »

Seems cheaper on chainreaction cos the shipping is free. Rose want 8.95 shipping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

fat bloke wrote: »
    Seems cheaper on chainreaction cos the shipping is free. Rose want 8.95 shipping

Have you a link, do you mean this one http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/x-tools-torque-wrench-2-24n-m/rp-prod11142 ?

Doesn't come with any bits .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement