Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Anyone still looking for the Altura Varium jacket £49 !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Altura-Varium-Waterproof-and-Windproof-Cycling-Jacket-BNWT-/161114844235

Thought I finally found one in Red large for 49 squids, alas on in XL & M

Anyone know where I can get a Red L in this jacket for around €50?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Dinging wrote: »
    Altura Varium Cycling Jacket available again in Sportsworld. See http://www.sportsworld.ie/Product/Altura-Varium-Cycling-Jacket-Mens/277816/3006010000. Wiggle are selling these for 3 times the price, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-varium-jacket/

great find OP got mine yesterday, stuck it under the tap and the water just ran off i, beats my santini 'Waterproof - thats what it said on the label' club winter jacket which you can only wear on dry days ! by a country mile (as the water just soaks into that)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭furiousox

Altura varium cycling jacket 50euro sportsworld.ie same coat on wiggle 160 euro
    http://www.sportsworld.ie/Product/Altura-Varium-Cycling-Jacket-Mens/277816/1002030000
    Plus free delivery!

I was wondering who the OP was for this jacket all those weeks ago.
    Fantastic jacket and unbelievable value for E50.
    Thanks Stevieg2009. :)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

ericzeking wrote: »
    Altura Jackets back in stock on line, 50 quid...couldn't recommend highly enough. They're 160 on wiggle and they are the quality of 160 euro jacket

http://www.sportsworld.ie/Product/Altura-Varium-Cycling-Jacket-Mens/277816/1002030000
    This was the first post to bring it to my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭furiousox

Altura varium cycling jacket 50euro sportsworld.ie same coat on wiggle 160 euro
    Plus free delivery!

Just went back a few pages and I think this is the OP (16/12/13)

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

my santini 'Waterproof - thats what it said on the label' club winter jacket which you can only wear on dry days ! by a country mile (as the water just soaks into that)

Waterproof stuff starts to lose its waterproffness(did i just invent a word?) after a couple of washes but you can restore it to an extent by washing it with a waterproofer like Grangers.

granger-2-in-1-30-cleaner-proofer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

furiousox wrote: »
    Fantastic jacket and unbelievable value for E50.
    :)

Are these 'seconds' though........ The one a mate got and I saw was missing some of the ALTURA name on the collar

Not that it really matters, they seem to be a great deal even if that is the case. I was reading that a discounter in Scotland had 1000 units of this jacket at £39 sterling late last year and sold out......so possibly the same source/production run?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Briando wrote: »
    Waterproof stuff starts to lose its waterproffness(did i just invent a word?) after a couple of washes but you can restore it to an extent by washing it with a waterproofer like Grangers.

thanks, it did that on first ride, tried two applications of txdirect and the water's still not beading :mad: just soaks straight in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Are these 'seconds' though........ The one a mate got and I saw was missing some of the ALTURA name on the collar

Not that it really matters, they seem to be a great deal even if that is the case. I was reading that a discounter in Scotland had 1000 units of this jacket at £39 sterling late last year and sold out......so possibly the same source/production run?

I was wondering how they managed to sell at that cost too when the same jacket was on wiggle for €150 and wondered if they were seconds or if SportsDirect simply bought a huge number of them at a large discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

thanks, it did that on first ride, tried two applications of txdirect and the water's still not beading :mad: just soaks straight in

The bucket option with Nikwak works pretty good for me when I'm reproofing jackets, you may loose breath-ability but to be honest I'd usual sweat loads wearing a waterproof jacket that it doesn't matter to me

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=69183

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Well done to all those who have gotten the jacket. I placed my order last Friday morning before 10 am. I queried it this morning and got the following reply.

With reference to your above online order, I’m afraid we have no stock remaining of the Altura Varium Cycling Jacket Mens which you ordered and have had to cancel your order.

We have been trying to source the product but unfortunately it has completely sold out.

Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience; it is genuinely not a regular occurrence that we are unable to supply stock for online orders

As a gesture of apology I am posting you a €10 gift voucher to use in store. Should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Kind Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

My order was rejected too:mad:.

If anyone has a medium they want to get rid of I'd be delighted to take it off them:).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Title says it all, got a medium Blue Altura Jacket but it's a wee bit too big so was wondering/hoping someone might have a small Blue Jacket they'd like to swap for a medium. Tags are still on the jacket only tried it on.

If i can't get a swap i'll sell it for what i paid for it €50 for collection only.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

They are seconds but still great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

The issue with the altura varium is that in the €150 plus space Goretex and others are king. Altura is generally at the €100 mark. Some online shops have got out of stocking altura varium which I our gain. Got one by the way... Will see Sunday how it performs, and yes the sleeves are long.. I generally need them long but they are even too long for me...
    TheBlaaMan wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Muckers wrote: »
    They are seconds but still great value.

Sorry for asking but what does "seconds" mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Sorry for asking but what does "seconds" mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_second

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Zorba,

Pm sent.

If offer is accepted I'll have a Black Varium in M for sale at €50.

Con.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

AmberGold wrote: »
    Zorba,

Pm sent.

Con.

offer asking + postage for jacket. I cant follow the thread, if you have just offered it to someone else they obviously have first refusal.

AmberGold wrote: »
    Zorba,

Pm sent.

Con.

Didn't get a pm ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Thanks Zorba, sent again I'll take the blue off you if you want. I'll sell my black to doverylittle.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

cool, let me know when you are ready to go ahead.

Letterkenny has 16 blue Small size and 6 red Small size left in store.

CJC999 wrote: »
    Letterkenny has 16 blue Small size and 6 red Small size left in store.

How am i gonna get one of them to swap, not really into driving 3 odd hrs for a jacket wonder would they ship one down to the local store ?

Thanks for the heads up.

Just rang Letterkenny and they're sending a small blue one down to the drogheda store for me. Now i don't know whether i have to do a direct exchange or what ? What i'm thinking is if i could just buy the small blue one and then i'll sell the blue medium one i have on here, first person to offer asking was AmberGold so if i can just buy the small blue jacket i'll sell the medium one onto u if that sounds fair ? That is providing the store just lets me buy the small jacket and providing the don't insist i have to do an exchange.

Just one more thing they said it would take up to 10 days for an inter store transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭skerry

Had mine out today. Dry spin except for a shower about 10 mins from the end. Must say the waterproof-ness was less than impressive, had soaked through the sleeves pretty quickly. Can only imagine it will get worse when washed a few times. Had a gilet over it so not sure how the rest of the jacket would have faired but can't say I was impressed by the protection it offered. Ran the tap over it the day I got it and it seemed to bead off quite well, not sure what happened in the meantime. If I had paid full whack for it I would be pretty pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

A few people on this thread have mentioned washing their warterproof gear, perhaps I'm misunderstanding but waterproof gear really is best not washed. If dirty wipe if off with a damp cloth but don't be washing it it will ruin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

A few people on this thread have mentioned washing their warterproof gear, perhaps I'm misunderstanding but waterproof gear really is best not washed. If dirty wipe if off with a damp cloth but don't be washing it it will ruin it.

same thoughts for me dont wash jackets

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

You can wash them in cold water no issue, it's the heat that kills them.

Zorba wrote: »
    How am i gonna get one of them to swap, not really into driving 3 odd hrs for a jacket wonder would they ship one down to the local store ?

Thanks for the heads up.

Just rang Letterkenny and they're sending a small blue one down to the drogheda store for me. Now i don't know whether i have to do a direct exchange or what ? What i'm thinking is if i could just buy the small blue one and then i'll sell the blue medium one i have on here, first person to offer asking was AmberGold so if i can just buy the small blue jacket i'll sell the medium one onto u if that sounds fair ? That is providing the store just lets me buy the small jacket and providing the don't insist i have to do an exchange.

Just one more thing they said it would take up to 10 days for an inter store transfer.

You'll find that it'll only take a few days but they say 10 so as to cover themselves in the case of delays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

It depends whether the jacket is coated in something or what material it is. North face reconnect tumble drying their jackets to reactivate the fabric. Nikwax do a range of additives for different fabrics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement