Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people get so mad...

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

screw it, they can't get mad at us or it'll be far too ironic

never played endwar, so dunno what its like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

ríomhaire wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip. Is Endwar any good? I watched one of my friends playing it before and I liked the look of it.

I've totally derailed the thread haven't I?

Endwar is an amazing RTS. put in 100hrs of gameplay into it. That game provided many rages when i played as oppenents units get knocked out but there still left on the map but a bad [EMAIL="bas@ard"]bas@ard[/EMAIL] (me) can keep attcking them to permanently kill em. It takes many hours to rank the units up so killing was often a blow felt by the player lol. I was one of the high ranked players in that game but the online community is all but dead and the developers have abandoned the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Jazzy wrote: »
    ... about not being that good at some video games?

BECAUSE YOU SHOOT THE GODDAMN WEAPONS. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

It's allowed, but it's Gun Game, which means you work your way up through 15(?) different weapons, and every time you get humiliated you go back down one.

In other words the guy is totally destroying them legitimately and yet they are bitching like that? Wow. :eek: If they are not good enough to shoot a guy with a knife whats the problem?
    The thing is getting good at RTS MP takes bloody ages and knowing the game inside and out and generally memorizing things like build orders and how to manage an economy and a lot of metagame stuff that some people (myself included) don't find appealing.

While a fair point I still think what it comes down to is peoples abilities to take a loss on the chin. Play the RTS mp as much as you would sp instead and you'd be fine, your never going to be the best but you will always find people of your skill level and there will always be new people starting too.
    I used to play C&C a lot with a few mates and it was fun because we were all about the same level, but if any of us went online we'd be destroyed.
    But then if one of us got good at the game he'd hammer the rest of us and it wouldn't be fun with him any more

Wow, I feel for your friend as I'm usually that guy who gets good at the game thus no one wants to play it any more cause they can't take losing. Instead of taking me on and learning how to beat me :(

Honestly though this is where I get my fun from, beating people who once beat me, I buy an RTS these days I buy it for the multiplayer. It would be like playing chess against an AI for me, meaningless victories, if your gonna play chess you wanna play against another person.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Sisko wrote: »
    Wow, I feel for your friend as I'm usually that guy who gets good at the game thus no one wants to play it any more cause they can't take losing. Instead of taking me on and learning how to beat me :(
    It's happened for me too, just not with RTSs. Competition is really only fun when you're playing people of a similar skill level. I find being much better than everyone else and winning with little effort much less fun than playing people much better than me and being trashed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 34,669 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I seriously rage at shmups. There is nothing more frustrating than when you've 1 cc a load of levels, are well on your way to 1ccing the game and a bullet you haven't seen comes out of nowhere.

'AHHH! YOU MOTHER****ER! AHHHH! **** **** **** ****!' is usually how it goes.

Then I press reset and start all over again.

jesus

I know, its a sad state of affairs altogether. But after many counselling sessions I have learned to just accept my greatness.
    It's happened for me too, just not with RTSs. Competition is really only fun when you're playing people of a similar skill level. I find being much better than everyone else and winning with little effort much less fun than playing people much better than me and being trashed.

Yeah exactly , btw I was only using RTS's as an example, don't play a tone of them but do enjoy them from time to time. C&C Generals Supreme Commanders and more recently Ruse but they certainly take a back seat to a lot of other genres I enjoy.

But yeah in BF2 for example I would always go out of my way to go on the losing team with the least skilled players to try and win it back for them. Never really understood people who would intentionally change teams to go onto the winning team. Where's the fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

jesus

haha, hes just got too much micro !

I know, its a sad state of affairs altogether. But after many counselling sessions I have learned to just accept my greatness.

maybe if you werent so smug your friends would want to play with you more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Maybe if you could beat someone you'd know about the kind of experience he's talking about :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think these two Penny-Arcade t-shirts sum this up quite nicely:

gamesstupid_det.jpeg?100212

itsnotfault_det.jpeg?100212

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I find that I get more annoyed when I die/lose at a game im good at than bad at tbh

Well oooooo0000000000000ooooooh :o

This is an internet forum and I'm honestly not always arsed going out of my way to convey how I type to appear more tongue and cheekish as it would be if I said things in person. Its not about being smug its about blunt and matter of fact. Sure your just gonna jump on anything I say anyway. Then totally skip over anyone else who says the same things but sure its nice to have fans :pac:

Growing up with friends who take losing in such a way that they may refuse to play the game leads one to be very humble in victory. I generally hold back to try and make the games more fun which led to issues later on when I started playing games like SF and going to events where you play people in person. Being used to saving the ruthless "play to win" style for online and keeping a friendly "play for fun" for offline play caused issues that took some adjusting to get over. Dominating some random american kid online versus causing some guy sitting right beside you to have a really bad day just made me feel a bit guilty and caused me to lay off a little.

As for my friends, they rape me in the likes of FIFA which I am totally useless at. These guys will jump up and down and scream with joy on winning games and I don't mind , I always try to give them a game. Even though I don't like the game. Where as they'll be reluctant to play me in games I play even though they like them too, I don't revel in being better I try my best to help them get better. They simple say its no fun be so badly beaten.

Ultimately it just comes down to differences in how people responding to winning and losing , I just enjoy playing mutliplayer, playing another person in a game , not the computer. Winning and losing isnt as much a deal for me as the game itself. For most though its about the wins and the losses.

AdamD wrote: »
    I find that I get more annoyed when I die/lose at a game im good at than bad at tbh

Hahaha yeah this is very true alright.

Sure your just gonna jump on anything I say anyway. Then totally skip over anyone else who says the same things but sure its nice to have fans :pac:

yes. yes, that must be it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

He lets people win Jazzy. That takes heart man

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

think it started back with goldeneye and got killed with a klobb. man what a ****ing **** weapon. raged every day since.

RopeDrink wrote: »

I've played so many competative games and yet I've no idea why SF4 franchise is the only one to cause me to SHOUT or even thump my chair. It's not a case of me not accepting I'm worse than the person causing said reactions because I religously accept my mediocrity and constantly spew out that fact on the forums or to myself - Helps me stay grounded and even if I think I'm doing alright, still makes me want to learn and get better.

I think that's more due to the large levels of adrenaline combined with how you can lose due to a mistake that took place during a fraction of a second, that causes reactions like that with high level SF4 and the likes. Compared to others games.
    Da Bounca wrote: »
    He lets people win Jazzy. That takes heart man

Ah here I'm not Ghandi, I let them think they can win... then crush them.

Muhahahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Never really understood people who would intentionally change teams to go onto the winning team.
    These people drive me up the wall. One L4D2 modded server I play on (I only play on 2 or 3, which are maintained by the same community) has one specific player who is an absolute nightmare for this sort of thing.
    If he is a Survivor and gets killed, teamswitch. If his team scores lower for a particular round, teamswitch. This teamswitching is usually accompanied by "noob team" or something to that effect. If there is anything that makes me mad in games, it is this sort of asshole behaviour*.

While I'm not particularly fond of rageswitchers (because the team balance often ends up going from, say, 8vs8 to 6vs10 and L4D2 bots don't work particularly well in modded servers :P), at least they generally don't badmouth the team they were on.

*Well, that and people who participate in team-based games and don't (a) help their teammates or (b) try to complete the specified objective - if the player is new to the game, that's not really an issue since they should figure things out soon enough, but for the people who have played the game before... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Ah here I'm not Ghandi, I let them think they can win... then crush them.

Muhahahaha.

That's actually the way I'd expect Ghandi to play :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I play for the enjoyment aspect. If I piss off people along the way, awesome :cool:

I mainly only piss off people when I stop their killing spree, as my quad hits their tank, and the 8 sticks or so of C4 on the front of my quad blows up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

the_syco wrote: »
    I play for the enjoyment aspect. If I piss off people along the way, awesome :cool:

I mainly only piss off people when I stop their killing spree, as my quad hits their tank, and the 8 sticks or so of C4 on the front of my quad blows up :D

Fukken gospel!

Find something that makes someone scream at you.

while(!hasNoobRageQuit())
    {
    trollMore();
    }

Also, in TF2, as Pyro, dropping into the middle of a rush with the back burner.
    Lord have mercy.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I get annoyed when I can't kill in a boss in a game,dont really get annoyed online unless someone is pissing me off on purpose.

Advertisement