Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people get so mad...

Options
  • 12-08-2011 10:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

... about not being that good at some video games?
    if im playing football or darts or something with my mates, im never really that good and often lose, but its a good bit of craic and the competitive element can be fun. but in the world of video games i see tons of people everyday get really mad about even the suggestion that they might.. ya know, be sh1t.
    in all games across the board i see people go positively mental at the mere hint that they might not be up to a certain level and often they create a complete fantasy that no, in fact they are good and its x,y & z letting them down, not the fact that they arent good. in many other sports and activities this dillusion doesnt exist to even nearly the level its at in games. is it the anonymity? is it the ability to not having to justify your bullsh1t because in the platform you are just an avatar and a name and not really there if ya get me?

i dunno, i see tons of players living in this complete fantasy and then absolutely raging when the possibility of that fantasy shattering appears. why are games so susceptible to this and why do people do it? i know tons of players also who couldnt give a f**k how good they are and yup, in 100% of the cases i can think about they are happier and generally better people and a hell of a lot more fun to play with

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i freely admit that im barely average at games

i dont play them to win in multiplayer though, i play it coz its a different type of play to single player

that said i still prefer single player gaming since i can play at my own pace

youve only to look at the pc v console controllers thread to see how pathetic things can get

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I remember seeing a paper on this. Most people play video games alone. That way they have no social sounding board. Think of all those halo/UT rage videos that were filmed secretly. Researchers found that if a mirror was placed so that the gamer could see their reaction it became less excessive.

Its probably why people who are isolated go slowly crazy, they have no one else to hold their mind/neuroses in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Most the game when i rage its at myself for doing this or that wrong when i knew i should have done something else. Other reasons would be lag in online play, makes me rage so hard

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I dunno I also think it equates to a time and effort commital. In your average DOTA game your pretty much putting in a solid 25+ minute of effort, the problem is a lot of games can exceed that and run into 40 to a hour and then some. At that stage mentally it's very hard to shrug off losing you want to some some reward for that committal of time.

Iv played every type of game there can be but iv only ever been angry with DOTA games because a single game can take so long. Iv never gotten angry playing Battlefield for similar lengths because the team size can be so big you feel less vital to the whole operation. It's a strange circumstance because iv played a game like Bloodline Champions which is basically like WoW arena meets LoL and have never lost my temper a loss was a loss even in a small team but the game was finished under 10 minutes or it was split into round segements so at worst case scenario iv gone 0-2 losing in one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I rarely get mad at games, don't see the point. Getting overly emotionally invested in these things suggests you don't have much else going on!

That said, I did get a bit annoyed after getting killed repeatedly in Uncharted 2 for about half an hour last weekend. I then passed that part and all was right with the world...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

hmmmmm only one game can make me NERDRAGE. STARCRAFT 2. Competitive gaming is allways stressful. Its even worse when one missclick can wipe all of your progress of 30-1h in 5 seconds. been there, done that.

when i play lol i might get some minor nerdrage, but i still dont want to punch kittens like in SC2.

I love SP games. I REALLY LOVE sp games only like bioshock one or alice: madness returns. Hate Coop games as i want to see game at my own pace and watch and see story bits too. such a difference in lost planet 1 and 2... Coop games are prety shallow in most cases.

i hate whiners thought. played lol with a fella who was constantly wining on skype, if our team was lossing or behind. at one stage i just couldnt stand it anymore and told him to stop whine like a little bitch, enjoy the game, its a challange, and victory will be waaaay sweeter if we win when odds are against us! He newer plays with me anymore lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'm not great, but I ain't bad either. It's sheer perserverence that pushs me through a lot of games more so than actual skill. I simply refuse to give up nine time outta ten, even though I often should.
    But yes, I'd find myself getting quite upset sometimes. I know what I am and am not capable of. It's when I know full well I could preform better, yet I'm not- That's when I get mad. If it's a simple case of my being sh1te at a specific game, then it doesn't bother me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,991 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What few multiplayer games I get into I play for a little bit and then quickly drop when the playerbase arrives that takes it far too seriously. I prefer playing these games for a laugh but once you start taking it seriously and thinking about stats and k/d ratios I just go back to single player and have more fun. It's actually nice to go back to old games on steam and play them now that the serious player element has abandoned the game and they are now a lot more fun. It's a pity you can't do that on console because the way matchmaking works and the lack of dedicated servers means if you aren't halo or CoD then the game is dead in a matter of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Have you ever been marginally offside in FIFA?!

RAGEFACE!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Surely getting annoyed is part of the craic? Catharthic loike.

In terms of multiplayer - I do dislike whinging. Ive dropped entirely off some ventrillo channels because I got sick of the explosions of rage. I think any form of complaining is a sign of weakness. Its a game, you lost, build a bridge and get over it. On the other hand, I dont get people who try to make games more difficult in the hope of exacting some sense of achievement out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I get mad playing solo (i.e. online) and usually in multiplayer modes - CoD, FIFA, SF, etc...However, if anyone else is in the room, I can see the funny side of things // make a quip! I don't buy into any illusion that I'm great at gaming...However, I need to find ways to supress nerdrage healthily :D
    D wrote:
    Researchers found that if a mirror was placed so that the gamer could see their reaction it became less excessive.

Note to self: Get a mirror......

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I tend to rage a fair amount, but less so when someone's in the room or within earshot at me. I never really rage at SP games of the few that I do play it's generally MP games I get angry with. I abhorr hackers that think it's great to ruin someone else's fun on games such as CoD4 and Mw2 for a while earlier this year. The one ironic way I like to calm down is by making other people rage, and record ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Let me guess, you're talking about HoN

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Football Manager when you are on a winning streak and lose to a team fighting relegation - anger comes out of every pore in my body

• Registered Users Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I love people who start raging on MW2 because someone in the lobby keeps kicking their ass. They immediately shout cheat, whereas it's more a combination of the rager not being as good as they thought they were, the other person being better, and more than likely the other person is host or has a better ping.

I see it sometimes, MW2 can pick me as host every now and again (which is crazy on my connection, but doesn't say much for the others), and i can wipe the floor because i'm that 1/2 second ahead of everyone else. So i can rage a bit at ping.

I always thought i was really good at games, until i discovered online and realised i have too much of a real life to allow myself to be l33t. Wish i was l33t though... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

LTP n00b!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Honestly... i dont know what it feels like to be whooped/****e because im generally awesome at any game i play.... and if I get beat.... it was obviously because of the "LAG" ! :P

TBH tho, raging is just part of MP, depends on the game and who your playing against/with. I generally don't rage that much these days ( I swear a lot but im not really angry when i do it... if ya get me :P... an old habbit i guess).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

In Capcom fighters a lot. Nothing too embarrassing, just run through a list of the most flavoured insults I can conjure up until I get the win. I main Dan, so many would say I'm actively courting the frustration. Obviously, there's the dark reaches of the English tongue I can climb to when faced with an SNK boss, but really, that's justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Leeg17 wrote: »
    I tend to rage a fair amount, but less so when someone's in the room or within earshot at me. I never really rage at SP games of the few that I do play it's generally MP games I get angry with. I abhorr hackers that think it's great to ruin someone else's fun on games such as CoD4 and Mw2 for a while earlier this year. The one ironic way I like to calm down is by making other people rage, and record ... :D

LOL thats classical loved annoying people on cod 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Playing single player tricks people into thinking they are good as single player is generally designed that way.

A lot of people don't like it when that fantasy is burst.

An easy example was back in the early days if the Irish fighting game scene we had this guy posting on the forum that would not stop posting about how brilliant he was at the game because he could beat the last boss on hard (Seth).

We tried to politely explain that - Street Fighter is really all about playing other people - playing the AI is meaningless. He was having none of it.

Eventually I managed to convince the guy to play me. Now I was far above average at the game (outside of the tournament scene), learned it through playing good players online and getting my ass handed to me. So I knew I could go in and totally humiliate the guy, this I did not want to do. The hope was to show the guy "the light". What this game was actually about. But no, the guy totally freaked and completely quit the game after our session. He 'rage quit' street fighter.

It's a shame but its how a lot of people are. I was miles above average alright but in the tournament scene I was decidedly mediocre and content with that. Losing in games makes me wanna get better, play the best players until you can beat them at their own game etc. But most people just instantly get angry and won't even try.

I've a few friends that enjoy RTS games but won't touch the online element "cause I'll just get destroyed by people who've been playing for ages" yeah but these people were destroyed in their first online game too , its how every multiplayer game works..... But not in single player.

*edit*

LOL @ the cod video, I presume they're mad cause knifes are not allowed in that game mode? (I don't play cod, so at first it was like they were pissed cause he was raping them with the knife and they couldn't kill him)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sisko wrote: »
    LOL @ the cod video, I presume they're mad cause knifes are not allowed in that game mode? (I don't play cod, so at first it was like they were pissed cause he was raping them with the knife and they couldn't kill him)

It's allowed, but it's Gun Game, which means you work your way up through 15(?) different weapons, and every time you get humiliated you go back down one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Leeg17 wrote: »

haha that was epic

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Sisko wrote: »
    I've a few friends that enjoy RTS games but won't touch the online element "cause I'll just get destroyed by people who've been playing for ages" yeah but these people were destroyed in their first online game too , its how every multiplayer game works..... But not in single player.
    The thing is getting good at RTS MP takes bloody ages and knowing the game inside and out and generally memorizing things like build orders and how to manage an economy and a lot of metagame stuff that some people (myself included) don't find appealing. I used to play C&C a lot with a few mates and it was fun because we were all about the same level, but if any of us went online we'd be destroyed.

But then if one of us got good at the game he'd hammer the rest of us and it wouldn't be fun with him any more and the rest of us mightn't be able to catch up if we don't have the time to learn the metagame properly.

That's why I love playing FPSs online but not RTSs, much less metagame. I still love playing C&C, CoH and UaW SP. I did try taking CoH online once and did ok but I didn't have the time to get back to it. I might try it again some time. The way it's a lot more combat-based and a lot less economy based than most RTSs appeals to me in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I never rage in public matches but in competitive games I tend to get angry as it seems to 'matter more' and I get far more into it. Also helps that I tend to not lose in publics

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I was playing in a Street Fighter tournament in Belfast once and the guy I was playing actually lifted his pad as if to clatter me across the head with it.

I rage about I would say once every 3 months or so at home, when it happens I switch off the console and go do something non video gamey. Anything can annoy you when you're in a foul mood.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ríomhaire wrote: »
    The thing is getting good at RTS MP takes bloody ages and knowing the game inside and out and generally memorizing things like build orders and how to manage an economy and a lot of metagame stuff that some people (myself included) don't find appealing. I used to play C&C a lot with a few mates and it was fun because we were all about the same level, but if any of us went online we'd be destroyed.

But then if one of us got good at the game he'd hammer the rest of us and it wouldn't be fun with him any more and the rest of us mightn't be able to catch up if we don't have the time to learn the metagame properly.

That's why I love playing FPSs online but not RTSs, much less metagame. I still love playing C&C, CoH and UaW SP. I did try taking CoH online once and did ok but I didn't have the time to get back to it. I might try it again some time. The way it's a lot more combat-based and a lot less economy based than most RTSs appeals to me in that regard.

you should check out starcraft 2 if you're worried about being raped by better players in multiplayer, the matchmaking system is set up to put you against players of equal skill so you oughta win 50% of the time and as you improve, you get better opponents and promotions into higher divisions and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Dunno but I rarely use phrases like "Fk you you fkn fkr" in real life :rolleyes:

Lag?
    Hackers?

you should check out starcraft 2 if you're worried about being raped by better players in multiplayer, the matchmaking system is set up to put you against players of equal skill so you oughta win 50% of the time and as you improve, you get better opponents and promotions into higher divisions and such.
    Still it's very economy based which I just don't really find fun. I want to outfight my opponent, not out resource him. Strategy games for me tend to actually be two separate games, one where you fight the enemy and one where you make sure you have the right ratio of builders and gatherers and must extend your base and build outposts to harvest more resources and hassle the enemy's gatherers and such and the latter game just doesn't appeal to me.

That's why I was thinking of CoH, it marries the two games very well. If you want resources you go out and fight over it and take it. Everything is pretty much based around the actual fighting of the battle, so instead of trying to take ground from enemies and trying to out-resource them as two concerns you must constantly balance, they're almost one and the same. I also like the small scale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

oh, well if it's that type of game you're after check out World in Conflict

you'll pick it up bundled with the expansion Soviet Assault for next to nothing on amazon

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip. Is Endwar any good? I watched one of my friends playing it before and I liked the look of it.

I've totally derailed the thread haven't I?

Advertisement