Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kanturk station, Co Cork

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Fine bit of cut stone, I wonder will it be salvaged or go to landfill.

PS 'will the banteer to kanturk railway ever reopen as a railway again' - in before you know who. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i hoping to grab a bit if I can get there at the right time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Just noticed that Castlemaine Goods Store is also demolished, recently. Philistines.

No bit of imagination in this country on how to adapt or intergrate historic buildings. No interest whatsoever in our built heritage 'Yerra sure its only an oul'shed'. I want to emigrate more than ever.

a goods shed would get big money in the Uk for conversion to a house....:(

Castlemaine has a fairly sterile town/village centre. Fugly Celtic Tiger era developments all over the shop. Empty houses etc. Pity.

• Advertisement

Re: Kanturk, just checked with demolition co., word on the ground has it that the station buildings AND house are to be left alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

dmcronin wrote: »
    Re: Kanturk, just checked with demolition co., word on the ground has it that the station buildings AND house are to be left alone.

So, panic over and the station will be ready for the reopened branchline. :confused:

So, panic over and the station will be ready for the reopened branchline. :confused:

Sure......why not?

i had heard that the stone base of the water tower is a protected structure, so possibly the remaining station buildings all are. I'll get photos of the cleared site if I can,. Can you ask them when they are starting dm?

Think the guy said he was on site tomorrow, work includes stripping of asbestos sheets (lovely stuff) Don't think you'd be left within an asses roar of the place until thats done.
    The demolition co. ph numbers are on a sign on the plywood hoarding if you want more particulars.

• Advertisement

thanks to JD for the tipoff, I won this on ebay today

1pwf41.jpg

Kanturk 1959

Advertisement