Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kanturk station, Co Cork

Options
  • 12-08-2011 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

I'm told the old Keatings Bakery buildings are going to be knocked down. The old station building survives within this complex so I hope it survives this and I'll try to get some photos of it once the rest of the site is cleared. I wonder if the platform survives also?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

corktina wrote: »
    I'm told the old Keatings Bakery buildings are going to be knocked down. The old station building survives within this complex so I hope it survives this and I'll try to get some photos of it once the rest of the site is cleared. I wonder if the platform survives also?

Perhaps G602 or G603 will be hiding there. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Last time I had a cup of tea in the Bakery Canteen aka the station building, I didnt notice them,howeer I'll keep an eye out for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

kanturk should be knocked down!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

kanturk should be knocked down!!!

Explain please...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 duffmckegean

Great Pic Corktina.

was that taken roughly at the side of the road today? going up out of the town?

no , it's taken from the other end of the stationfacing the road. You can see the Boys National school in the background , which is on the road (Percival St) Left of the loco you can see the footbridge and signal shown here

f3xgs0.jpg
    waklkn.jpg

first pic above is takern stood in Percival St and the second is taken from the footbridge.

this foto is the station building from its approach road .It's still there surrounded by the disued Keatings Bakery.

63vbwz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

Interesting photos, footbridges to compensate pedestrians at level crossings are somewhat uncommon on Irish railways. I presume since it was one of the main streets in the town it must have been a busy road. The present day photos if anyone haven't seen yet.

busy? well for Kanturk it was and is....but it can't have had much traffic passing when it was built so I guess its a mystery. It doesnt actually LOOK like a railway structure at all so maybe it was built by the Kanturk Union which operated the Workhouse further up the hill and are probably responsible for a lot of stone walls around the town (including my front wall) and more particularly , along that road.

The Suttons coal buildings are still there but as yet Im unable to confirm they were served by a siding.

• Advertisement

1961 special train climbing towards Kanturk station

n3b6ky.jpg

heres what the SLS write up had to say about the Kanturk bit of the journey
    "The Newmarket branch gave the tourists a first impression of the West of Ireland with pigs mingled with motors and horse drawn carts at a level crossing and , at Kanturk,school children released from the class room to watch the train go by. A few minutes earlier, on the 1 in 65 bank approaching Kanturk, there had been some doubt as to whether this event would materialise but judsicious use of the regulator and sand saved the day."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

When was the line lifted?

The exact details would be in the Irish Railfans News but given that lines were dismantled with undue haste in the early 1960s, and that the line closed in 1963, you could safely bet that it was well gone by Jan.1965. Somebody on IRN will have the Irish Railfans News info for you.

i DON'T HAVE AN EXACT DATE BUT THE RAILTOUR WAS REPEATED IN 1964 AND DIDN'T VISIT THE BRANCH, SO i'D SAY IT WAS GONE AT THAT STAGE shouting sorry.

I belive the 1961 special was the last passenger train on the branch

given that lines were dismantled with undue haste in the early 1960s

Didn't they begin lifting the WCR on the day after the last train? Madness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Karsini wrote: »
    Didn't they begin lifting the WCR on the day after the last train? Madness.

They did the same with the Waterford & Tramore line and to ensure that it would never be reinstated, they sold off the alignment to the local farmers.

Todd ****ing Andrews....ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

r1aout.jpg

1961 special at Kanturk

same train at Mallow

34gxb7m.jpg

gas lamop fitted to chimney must have been handy disposing in the dark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

corktina wrote: »
    same train at Mallow

gas lamop fitted to chimney must have been handy disposing in the dark

That's an electric lamp standard (looks a bit like like a Sugg gaslight at a distance though)

Mallow got the lecky by that stage. But not Kanturk...you can still see the platform lamp standards in the other pics that you could drop in a lantern case with an oil lamp inside.

• Advertisement

I believe the old station to be under threat as it's said locally that ALDI are building a store on the old bakery site ,of which the station forms a part. :-(

Doubt a conglomerate such as Aldi would have the imagination or inclination to incorporate the old buildings into a new design.

Is the derelict SM's house on the same land, i.e. formerly owned by Keatings? Its getting a damn good trashing by the local chapter of Mensa in Kanturk.

No chance of the line reopening so? :D

slim chance if I do when noones looking. :-)

I think the SM house may be seperate, Keatings never did anything with it anyway,

PS my two eldest daughters are Mensa members.... :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

dmcronin wrote: »
    Doubt a conglomerate such as Aldi would have the imagination or inclination to incorporate the old buildings into a new design.

You'd be surprised. Albeit its Lidl who are generally better.

Think its Newcastle in Down that has a Lidl in its former station.

And here it is.

1000456_109ff1ab.jpg

© Copyright Albert Bridge and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

I stand corrected, all respect to Kanturk, but there's no comparison re: architectural importance. Newcastle was probably a listed building anyway.

Planning permission for demolition is posted up now. Including 'derelict 2 story building' must be SM's house. Looks like the whole lot is going to go from the gist of it.

It's a shame but the station really doesnt have much to deserve preservation, it's just old.

RIP Kanturk Station....

• Advertisement

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150714906937161.390203.630552160&type=1&l=3ede753e86

the scene this morning Hoarduings have gone up in prepartion for demolition

Advertisement