Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's a disgrace, Joe

Options
  • 12-08-2011 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭

Liveline is one of those inexplicable, low brow, guilty pleasures in my life... a bit like a man with a scat fetish.

I've had this preoccupation ever since my very first day working in a bank in Dublin. I was sent downstairs to talk to some old lady about her account. I was a bit nervous being my first day and all, but she looked like a nice old dear. I was literally half way into the chair beside her when she started spitting piss and vinegar, and threatened to call Joe on us. Looking into the whites of her eyes, I began to wonder about the nature of the Liveline caller.

Now everyone I have ever spoken to in real life has agreed that even if they like to listen, they would never 'talk to Joe' about a personal problem. Nor has anyone even known a Liveline caller. Yet I figure there can't be more than 3 degrees of separation between any one Irish person and Joe Duffy.

As After Hours is so large and varied, surely some users must be familiar, with Liveline callers? Why do they do it? Are they ever just taking the piss? Has anyone ever pranked Joe with a disgrace?

Or on the other hand, have you ever been threatened with the wrath of a Liveline caller?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Eww. You're a banker. Burn the witch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Stone him......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

It's all because of those gay, foreign, unmarried mother, social welfare recipients, Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

later10 wrote: »
    As After Hours is so large and varied, surely some users must be familiar, with Liveline callers?
    Familiar with Liveline callers? From the way some of them post, I'd say a lot of them are Liveline callers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

ever since my very first day working in a bank in Dublin.

hang on a second *grabs pitchfork* RAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:p Its the common people calling the common joe,who else can they talk to :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

i've always wanted to call in and say Hey Joe, and just hang up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

My dad called in once. It was something to do with the 'RA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

years and years ago I worked as a subbie for a fairly ruthless developer. He flung up a block of houses and got us to do the "patios"- to his sh1te spec and with no drainage. Pure dirt, but a crusts a crust and we did what we were told. Cue woman who bought one of the dogboxes complaining, him passing the buck to muggins, and sols. letter arriving. So far so sh1tty. My own solicitor called me up all worried, and said"you better fix her up Solnskaya, she's threatening to call Liveline" and the solicitor was deadly serious, like that was the end of the world. I paid for a new patio. Oh, the power of that Joe Duffy. Personally I wanted to tell her to go sue moneybags who actually gave her the crap patio, but jasus, what if joe found out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Talk to Joe..ye ye ye...howya Joeeee!!! Howya Shheeeeeila!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Solnskaya wrote: »
    years and years ago I worked as a subbie for a fairly ruthless developer.

These developers ruined the country Joe.

sollar wrote: »
    These developers ruined the country Joe.
    :D:D:Dlol
    on another note, would ye ever call Joe yourselves??? Personally I'd rather ram a hedgehog up me hole while being wailed at by Brian Kennedy. I'd say Joe gets up every morning and has a quiet freak out in the jacks at the thought of listening to all the whingey gee-bags that will be in his ear later. Or maybe the Savage eye version is correct, and he's there knocking one out at the sound of all that whining misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I love pretending I dont know who Joe Duffy is when some batty old geebag threatens to call him about me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Solnskaya wrote: »
    Oh, the power of that Joe Duffy. Personally I wanted to tell her to go sue moneybags who actually gave her the crap patio, but jasus, what if joe found out:D
    Joe Duffy is a legal system in himself. I'd say even the judges are afraid of him.

Is he on holidays at the moment? can't be doing with this Damien fellow, he doesn't do the disgraces half as well, it's more of a maternal exasperation really.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Cillian13

I get threatened by people claiming that they're going to call Joe duffy a fair bit. Some times they do ring in and our PR section would get the odd call from the liveline crew :rolleyes: but most of the time it's just customers going on a rant.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Eww. You're a banker. Burn the witch.
    he's not a banker, he works for a banker.:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

LaVail wrote: »

Coulda fooled me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

^^This.

Right down to the fury being followed by a long, loud exhalation into the mouthpiece of the telephone, which is pretty much obligatory on LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

Last week some ****ing chancer auld pair came into me looking for a free tour. Now I work in a not so well known tourist attraction which is still finding it's feet. This 'lady' claimed she had rang early in the day and was told she could have a free tour. My manager proceeded to offer them a 2for1 entrance when they really didn't deserve it- i.e. they were rude as fook!

Old mad chancer then rants loudly 'I'll be ringing liveline tomorrow, Joe will be hearing all about yez'.

I'm sure Joe would love to hear about some freeloading chancer not getting into somewhere free for no reason, and also badmouthing one of their advertisers ;)

• Advertisement

Last week some ****ing chancer auld pair came into me looking for a free tour. Now I work in a not so well known toursit attraction which is still finding it's feet. This 'lady' claimed she had rang early in the day and was told she could have a free tour. My manager proceeded to offer them a 2for1 entrance when they really didn't deserve it- i.e. they were rude as fook!

Old mand chancer then rants loudly 'I'll be ringing liveline tomorrow, Joe will be hearing all about yez'.

I'm sure Joe would love to hear about some freeloading chancer not getting into somewhere free for no reason, and also badmouthing one of their advertisers ;)
    go on, you're crapping it really:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I work in public transport so you get a Liveline threat every few weeks, without fail.

Usually it's auld ones on free travel passes who aren't being waited on hand and foot so they get uppity or it's from people who get fined for not having tickets who think "going public" will make the fine go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

I worked in Dublin for 2 years in the passport office. We were always getting threatened with a call. The first time someone said it to me I wasn't in the country long and didn't have a notion who she was talking about. I can't remember what her problem was, but when she said 'I'm telling Joe Duffy' I said 'Who's that?' thinking he must be high up in Foreign Affairs or something.

I actually couldn't get my head round someone ringing a radio station cos they're not getting their own way, like he's god or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Makes me a bit angry that some crank on the radio can wield as much power as he does...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Ah yes, In the hellhole that is retail you always get threatened with Joe when you tell them that no - you're not entitled to anything since you've taken all the packaging off it, used it and now decide that you don't want it.

Now fook off, ring Joe and get out of the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A bouncer once told me the person who mouths off and talks is not the person you watch, it's the person who looks you in the eye and says nothing.
    Same for customers, the ones who yap about Joe Duffy are not to be taken seriously, if they were going to do something they would just go ahead anyway

"Haven't heard it myself Joe but it's terrible"
    That horse outside song attracted a lot of these.

Joe Duffy is a legal system in himself. I'd say even the judges are afraid of him.
    You saw his power with the headshops. And the campaign wasn't even that strong when they were in the city centre but he had one show dedicated to the shop in leafy Clontarf. I mean you have to protect the good areas, doesn't matter about the city centre but the suburbs Joe, where good people live....

But Joe loves his "salt of the earth" Moore St sellers with "da illegals" cigarettes from Latvia and Lithuania and "da illegal illegals" which are fake knock-off cigarettes from China.
    Never a mention of the dangers of these knocks off or tax evasion from smuggling

Hypocrite :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I usually beat irate customers to the punch with "if I were you, I'd ring Joe!". Takes away their power and they wilt before my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Joe, he's no Billy McCarthy ;)

Waterford equivalent

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Twee. wrote: »

:pac: :pac: I am so going to use this next time some random survey company rings me asking about a product I've never used.

Advertisement