Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counter-Strike coming to XBLA/PSN

Options
  • 12-08-2011 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

And Steam.

Early 2012.

Yep.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

ha no way, with the same graphics or is it going to be upgraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

sumsar wrote: »
    ha no way, with the same graphics or is it going to be upgraded?
    From the looks of things so far, it'll be an expanded version of CS: Source, with new maps, weapons, and modes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

back in the day CS always attracted the loudest dumbest , sweariest angry teenagers online.
    Xbox live/ PSN are currently full of dumb angry sweary f**kwit 12 year olds who just dont know when to shut the f**k up.
    Combining the two...
    OH DEAR GOD NO!!
    mushroom_cloud.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Announcement information can be read here.

Cant wait to get some more info! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Does it mean the PS3/360 or the next gen of consoles ?

Not sure how it'll work on console but sure better than nothing.. it'll still be primarly a PC game obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Magill wrote: »
    Does it mean the PS3/360 or the next gen of consoles ?

Not sure how it'll work on console but sure better than nothing.. it'll still be primarly a PC game obviously.

It means PS3 & 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Also...please have a server browser on consoles. It's been dying on consoles, this gen, for no real reason. Get in games faster my ass, I want to choose my own game and not have to access something that's always broken on release.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,704 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It was due for an update. Played it over the Summer Sale for achievements and it was not aging well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I'd imagine this game is not going to have cross platform play for obvious reasons ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Trevor451 wrote: »
    I'd imagine this game is not going to have cross platform play for obvious reasons ;)

YES!! YES!! THIS ARGUMENT AGAIN!!! YUSSS!!! /s

Anywho....

Can't wait for this, played CS:CZ to death when i was younger, i NEED this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Overheal wrote: »
    It was due for an update. Played it over the Summer Sale for achievements and it was not aging well.

Yeah, really needs an update with iron sights, health regen and bloody screen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Not being smart... Is that a bit too late now?

Why the feck would I want to play Cs now when there are so
    Many modern shooters out...

I allways hated Cs, for killing hl1 multiplayer :(. We newer came back to hl1 that day.... Sigh...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

CS:S is still my favourite MP FPS, grew up on that stuff. Dont like the changes they've made though, shoulda left it a la 2008.

I allways hated Cs, for killing hl1 multiplayer :(. We newer came back to hl1 that day.... Sigh...

Because its still the best ? I wouldn't say its too late either, since both cs + css have a constant 50,000 + players online at any time and are the 2nd/3rd most played games on steam behind TF2 (Which is mostly because of it going FTP i think).

How it'll work on console.... who knows, its good that its not coming out until early next year, so MW3/BF3 players will probably be looking for something new come release.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Fhithunk! as a bolt lands squarely in a head.

Still, CS was awesome. I lost so much of my life to that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Why the feck would I want to play CS now when there are so many modern shooters out...

Cause alot of people see modern shooters as being a bit shit?

Not a fan of CS but also don't like most of the modern shooters and would prefer CS over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

Modern shooters aren't tactical or balanced. Counter Strike is aimed towards the e-sports crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,704 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Modern shooters aren't tactical or balanced. Counter Strike is aimed towards the e-sports crowd.
    Yep. You don't see people jumping into Call of Duty for want of a 1 Round, 1 Life setup. "Sudden Death" has been a great hallmark of Counterstrike. And, it's one of the only few good reasons to play a 5 point CP map in TF2, because of the Sudden Death round after a stalemate :cool:

it can be aimed at holy jesus to make a universe tournament, i still wouldnt give two ****s about it. i play games, because they are fun, not because someone i newer met playing it competitively.

i used to play, alot of it, but i would not come back to it now. there are more fun games out there i stick to.

as for modern shooters not being tactical and balanced... i wont start epic handbag fight...but i have to say: that statement is just pure stupid.

One of the main things I love about CS:S is, despite their names, that "accuracy" of guns. In COD you can stick the damage/penetration perks on, grab an RPK and rack up kills like nobody's business. M4's are practically the same with the exception of a smaller mag. In CS though there is actually an advantage of using things like the MP5 where, with a little skill, you can destroy by being a little headshot devil. I suppose thats probably a thumbstick thing but lets not go there.

Oh yeah, and flashs are so much more effective. Gotta love clearing a room of five enemy's with nothing more than a flash and a USP.

• Advertisement

it can be aimed at holy jesus to make a universe tournament, i still wouldnt give two ****s about it. i play games, because they are fun,

This is a distinct point. Some people like the be competitive, some people want a good triggerfest nothing more. I'm a bit of both myself, depending on the mood. When I play CSS with the lads and in lans in college I get really into it but when its halo3 on XBL its much more laidback.

Each to their own, nobody is saying CSS is better, just that its better for the more serious players. Skill is much more evident in what I'd call "proper" shooters.

This is a distinct point. Some people like the be competitive, some people want a good triggerfest nothing more. I'm a bit of both myself, depending on the mood. When I play CSS with the lads and in lans in college I get really into it but when its halo3 on XBL its much more laidback.

Each to their own, nobody is saying CSS is better, just that its better for the more serious players. Skill is much more evident in what I'd call "proper" shooters.

i agree, each to its own. I love LoL and its very competitive game. i play only normal games and mostly only with friends. i really dont give two ****s that its used for tournaments.

play a game just becouse its aimed at e-sports... feck that. i cant play sc2 anymore as its e-sports heaven, i just cant compete with those people! if you whana be atleast half decent you need to play sc2 like second full time job!

CS was good back then, but i just cba playing anymore. I played since it was released and it didnt changed much since then at all.

If someone chooses to play it, then go for it, but saying that modern shooters are not tactical or balanced is just plain stupid.

as for it still being best... not really, but once again, its a matter of taste.

i agree, each to its own. I love LoL and its very competitive game. i play only normal games and mostly only with friends. i really dont give two ****s that its used for tournaments.

play a game just becouse its aimed at e-sports... feck that. i cant play sc2 anymore as its e-sports heaven, i just cant compete with those people! if you whana be atleast half decent you need to play sc2 like second full time job!

CS was good back then, but i just cba playing anymore. I played since it was released and it didnt changed much since then at all.

If someone chooses to play it, then go for it, but saying that modern shooters are not tactical or balanced is just plain stupid.

as for it still being best... not really, but once again, its a matter of taste.

cs isn't just a competitive game tho... its public community is far more diverse than any other gaming community. The amount of choice you have if your just a casual gamer is beyond insane.. the 25,000 custom maps available on csbanana for css alone is proof of that. Some of the best times i've had on cs and css was in well "policed" community servers where its just a bit of craic, be it playing normal cs or gungame or even the warcraft mod.

Its fine if you don't like the game but please know what your talking about before giving an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

it can be aimed at holy jesus to make a universe tournament, i still wouldnt give two ****s about it. i play games, because they are fun, not because someone i newer met playing it competitively.

i used to play, alot of it, but i would not come back to it now. there are more fun games out there i stick to.

as for modern shooters not being tactical and balanced... i wont start epic handbag fight...but i have to say: that statement is just pure stupid.

Well you seem to have a very narrow mind towards it. There are people who find competitive gaming fun and they just need to be more "serious" about the game to have "fun".

I wouldn't say it's pure stupid at all. There's a reason Counter Strike is still the 2nd most played game on Steam. I challenge you to come up with a modern shooter as balanced as Counter Strike. Popular games like CoD are a joke when it comes to balance and tactics, even a team of "pros" could be beaten by only a relatively skilled team.

I'm not saying that modern shooters aren't fun. I love playing CoD when a group of my friends are online and I will often play BC2: Vietnam by myself but while these games are fun they are not as skilful nor as balanced as CS.

Pity DOD:S hasnt lasted. Great game as co-ordination was key to victory. The simple pushing style could only entertain for a while though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Magill wrote: »
    cs isn't just a competitive game tho... its public community is far more diverse than any other gaming community. The amount of choice you have if your just a casual gamer is beyond insane.. the 25,000 custom maps available on csbanana for css alone is proof of that. Some of the best times i've had on cs and css was in well "policed" community servers where its just a bit of craic, be it playing normal cs or gungame or even the warcraft mod.

I found the level of entry into CS way too high. I used to play it for a bit, take a break, go back and then get completely dominated. However a few months back me and my brother tried it out for old times sake and stumbled into a gun game and had loads of fun. The server is now saved to favourites and we both play it on sundays every so often. The amount of custom maps and games is what keeps it interesting.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I found the level of entry into CS way too high. I used to play it for a bit, take a break, go back and then get completely dominated. However a few months back me and my brother tried it out for old times sake and stumbled into a gun game and had loads of fun. The server is now saved to favourites and we both play it on sundays every so often. The amount of custom maps and games is what keeps it interesting.

Yeah the entry level on public cs can be a bit high when playing on the normal map servers(Although i wouldn't have thought it to be that high), thats mostly because you'd get a lot of competitive players coming in to warmup for a few rounds before playing some PCW's and what not.

You can find a lot of really nice community servers tho were the skill level will generally be pretty low. First 3 or 4 years of playing CS was argubly the most fun I had playing any game and that was entirely on public custom map servers.

You have everything you really want tbh

Normal DE maps
    Hostage/Rescue maps
    Surfing and Climbing maps
    Hide and seek
    Gun game
    Warcraft and other RPG styled mods
    Zombies
    Jailbreak
    and then all the other funky custom maps (Rats/knifearenas/grenade maps)

So much fun to be had ! :P

Shame anyone that plays it for the first time on the xbox or ps3 will never really get the full CS experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hate to bring it up again, but CS really is a game where a k+m is pretty much essential. It will be interesting to see how it works on console considering how much the game relies on high speed precision aiming which really isn't conductive to aim assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

CSS on consoles :eek:

That's one game that really needs a keyboard and mouse. If you ask me it's still the best raw FPS game out there.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hate to bring it up again, but CS really is a game where a k+m is pretty much essential. It will be interesting to see how it works on console considering how much the game relies on high speed precision aiming which really isn't conductive to aim assist.

The lack of ADS is probably gonna hurt it on console. ADS is pretty much the only reason i think shooters are much better now than they used to be(It adds a lot of control for the sticks). We'll see tho, valve haven't really made a shoddy game before besides their last console version of CS (And maybe blueshift.. which i actually thought wasn't too bad :P) so if anyone can make it work it'll be valve.

Advertisement