Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get Channel 5 and BBC One HD on your Irish EPG and Recordable!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

The regions that Channel 5 is not available is London north of England and Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

200motels wrote: »
    The regions that Channel 5 is not available is London north of England and Scotland.

I got the card from a seller in West Midlands so presumed I would be good to go.

You live and learn eh. Might look for another, which is the best region to obtain?

GEO147 wrote: »
    I got the card from a seller in West Midlands so presumed I would be good to go.

You live and learn eh. Might look for another, which is the best region to obtain?
    Of course what I meant to say was that in the regions I mentioned channel 5 is encrypted, I got a card from the north and it didn't work, I'd go for a Welsh one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭very

Are 5* and 5USA and 5HD on the EPG (providing I get the right region Sky card)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

very wrote: »
    Are 5* and 5USA and 5HD on the EPG (providing I get the right region Sky card)?

No, this trick only enables viewing of extra FTA channels on the EPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

Of course what I meant to say was that in the regions I mentioned channel 5 is encrypted, I got a card from the north and it didn't work, I'd go for a Welsh one.

My card is from Northern Ireland and I've Channel 5 no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

kmurph wrote: »

.. but you don't get ITV1 HD or ITV1+1 ... swings & roundabouts :)

gtg60 wrote: »
    No, this trick only enables viewing of extra FTA channels on the EPG.

So the only "Channel 5 channel" that will be on the EPG is Channel 5?

kmurph wrote: »
    I meant northern England.

which of these would be better for getting channel 5? One from Kent, Southe East england or one from yorkshire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

which of these would be better for getting channel 5? One from Kent, Southe East england or one from yorkshire?

My London card doesn't get the FTA version of CH5 so I would imagine that the SE England (Kent) would not either due to the proximity of Kent to London.

I couldn't say for Yorkshire but some have said on this thread that a North England card also cannot get FTA Ch5, so it's a good bet it doesn't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

.. but you don't get ITV1 HD or ITV1+1 ... swings & roundabouts :)

You don't get these on the Sky EPG in NI but you can add them under 'other channels' and watch them there. There is no UTV1 HD however via Sky but you can get other regions HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

MBSnr wrote: »
    My London card doesn't get the FTA version of CH5 so I would imagine that the SE England (Kent) would not either due to the proximity of Kent to London.

I couldn't say for Yorkshire but some have said on this thread that a North England card also cannot get FTA Ch5, so it's a good bet it doesn't either.

If the kent card has BBC1 South East at 101 instead of london then it should be fine but Im not 100%. Pretty sure Yorkshire wont work as it northern england.

So the only "Channel 5 channel" that will be on the EPG is Channel 5?

Every c5 along with 5* & 5usa can be put on the epg but u cant watch em. U will get a 08 This programme is not available message. If you want free UFC add Premier Sports, encrypted most of the time but occasionally free.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 corkdavid

Ok, as you can tell from my name Im living in Cork. I ordered a FTV card from Sky last Saturday using advice from a poster here. The card that should be sent to me will be a Northern Ireland one..(fingers crossed)

I have a new Sky HD box and a 1TB HD box...what channels can i expect to gain as a result of the information in this article?What other channels should I tune onto other channels? Im not the greatest when it comes to technology...At the very least I really want to get Channel 5 onto my EPG (huge Big Brother fan).

Any help given would be fantastic..........

Yorkshire card I would avoid as their ITV and Channel 5 is scrambled.

Yorkshire card I would avoid as their ITV and Channel 5 is scrambled.
    Whatever about Nottinghamshire? I have a friend that lives there and if has a spare card he can send me.

Whatever about Nottinghamshire? I have a friend that lives there and if has a spare card he can send me.

I've no idea, ask them what ITV and BBC 1 they get on it, easier to figure out that way.

I've no idea, ask them what ITV and BBC 1 they get on it, easier to figure out that way.

Exactly. If it's ITV1 Central East, which would be the Nottinghamshire area I think, then it should be ok. By the way it should be noted that although this is an encrypted ITV region it doesn't matter as all Irish cards have the entitlements to unencrypt these. My ITV1 HD is encrypted but I can still watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

Pete2k wrote: »
    Exactly. If it's ITV1 Central East, which would be the Nottinghamshire area I think, then it should be ok. By the way it should be noted that although this is an encrypted ITV region it doesn't matter as all Irish cards have the entitlements to unencrypt these. My ITV1 HD is encrypted but I can still watch it.

Well then why is it not the same for C5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

corkdavid wrote: »
    Ok, as you can tell from my name Im living in Cork. I ordered a FTV card from Sky last Saturday using advice from a poster here. The card that should be sent to me will be a Northern Ireland one..(fingers crossed)

I have a new Sky HD box and a 1TB HD box...what channels can i expect to gain as a result of the information in this article?What other channels should I tune onto other channels? Im not the greatest when it comes to technology...At the very least I really want to get Channel 5 onto my EPG (huge Big Brother fan).

Any help given would be fantastic..........

See my post #137, regarding the extra channels I get with a London region card. Instead of '103 - ITV1 London' you will get UTV. You will not get '131 - ITV+1' or '178 - ITV1HD'. Otherwise, fairly similar. The BBC regions will obviously be a bit different.

GEO147 wrote: »
    Well then why is it not the same for C5?

I guess ITV figure that there's so many regions fta whats the point in blocking the few that aren't. Originally when ITV first launched on satellite way back in '01, I think, all their regions were viewable on ROI cards. Then TV3 forced them to block them all. Channel 5 on the other hand has never been viewable over here until the one region for freesat went fta.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Caramac

Could someone please tell me whether the regional restrictions for Channel 5 only apply to the OLD blue ftv cards, or do they also apply to the newer WHITE ftv cards too? eg must a new white ftv card be from the correct region to get Channel 5 onto the Irish EPG using the instructions here?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

Applies to white ftv cards too, you need one from a region that is not encrytped.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Caramac

DigiDec wrote: »
    Applies to white ftv cards too, you need one from a region that is not encrytped.

OK, thanks DigiDec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Caramac wrote: »
    Could someone please tell me whether the regional restrictions for Channel 5 only apply to the OLD blue ftv cards, or do they also apply to the newer WHITE ftv cards too? eg must a new white ftv card be from the correct region to get Channel 5 onto the Irish EPG using the instructions here?

Any Blue or White card from "Part Network" region will work. That is the Green region in map below.
    A card from "the North", "Scotland" or "London" regions will not work. (Blue, Orange and Red regions)

givecredit wrote: »
    Any Blue or White card from "Part Network" region will work. That is the Green region in map below.
    A card from "the North", "Scotland" or "London" regions will not work. (Blue, Orange and Red regions)

Thanks for that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

givecredit wrote: »

I have 2 old blue BBC FTV cards, one from the North and one from Wales and both of them give me channel 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 corkdavid

Right..Ordered a freeview card off Sky last Saturday.It arrived today...Gave Sky a postcode and phone number from Northern Ireland, thinking I would get a card for there.

Got the extra channels(BBC1 London,BBC2 London, More 4+1,ITV2 ,ITV3 etc etc....).But no bloody Channel 5 which is what Im after!!!!I thought giving Sky a Northern Ireland postcode would ensure a card that enabled me to get Channel 5 onto my EPG?? Im really pissed now after buying a card for nothing....Any suggestions????

• Advertisement

corkdavid wrote: »
    Right..Ordered a freeview card off Sky last Saturday.It arrived today...Gave Sky a postcode and phone number from Northern Ireland, thinking I would get a card for there.

Got the extra channels(BBC1 NI,BBC2 NI, More 4+1,ITV2 ,ITV3 etc etc....).But no bloody Channel 5 which is what Im after!!!!I thought giving Sky a Northern Ireland postcode would ensure a card that enabled me to get Channel 5 onto my EPG?? Im really pissed now after buying a card for nothing....Any suggestions????
    Have you all the Channel 5's tuned in on extra channels.

Advertisement