Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sword of the Stars II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Maximilian wrote: »
    Still loads of stuff not working properly/at all though.

oh dear waiting another while then -_-

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

any improvements since? I'm dyeing to give it a go

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

It's improved (wait between turns isn't 4 minutes now) but there's still a range of things not working, still loads of bugs, crashes to desktop. Diplomacy only got added back in this week and the first time I tried to use it I crashed to dektop. AI can't/won't attack you.

Playable but only just. It's still a beta test and it helps if you know what stuff causes crashes and can avoid them.

It will be great but holy crap, worst release of a game ever I think. I really can't think of one worse. The new You Tube interface maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

It's improved (wait between turns isn't 4 minutes now) but there's still a range of things not working, still loads of bugs, crashes to desktop. Diplomacy only got added back in this week and the first time I tried to use it I crashed to dektop. AI can't/won't attack you.

Playable but only just. It's still a beta test and it helps if you know what stuff causes crashes and can avoid them.

It will be great but holy crap, worst release of a game ever I think. I really can't think of one worse. The new You Tube interface maybe.

Has any one got a refund yet, do you know

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Haven't a clue. I know they were being offered by Paradox Interactive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Still buggy as hell? Been wanting a good 4X kind of game for a while but after what you guys reported I stayed away from it.

They are releasing substantial patches weekly, with another due tonight, Irish time.

It's certainly not as broken as it was on release but not quite there yet. I'd say it may well be early January before it is where it should have been on release.

The early game is fairly slow moving with little combat, so frequent ctd's have put an end to games. Patches have broken saves - which all means I've actually got to play very little combat. The AI being borked doesn't help. It's hard to recommend it at this point therefore.

Kerberos have said that they will announce when the game is "ready", so it might well be a good idea to wait for that. Else, be prepared for frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

I put in a request for a refund on the fourth of this month, apparently that "offer" ended on the 30th of November. I love Paradox (was an intern in TaleWorlds), but I'll be damned if I'm going to ever give kerberos money ever again.

New patch causes more CTD's, so giving up on this build.

New patch causes more CTD's, so giving up on this build.

Christ, and I thought Skyrim had issues.

• Advertisement

Skyrim has never not been playable for me.

SOTS2 however is the worst release I've ever seen in my 30 years of gaming. The game was pre-alpha at launch and it has never been explained why that was so. It boggles the mind how they could have thought the game could be released as it was. Even now a month later, the game is still hopelessly broken.

I can't be that annoyed though because I know it will get fixed and I'm just happy that games like this are getting made at all. Still, though. WTF.

SOTS2 however is the worst release I've ever seen in my 30 years of gaming. The game was pre-alpha at launch and it has never been explained why that was so. It boggles the mind how they could have thought the game could be released as it was. Even now a month later, the game is still hopelessly broken.

I can't be that annoyed though because I know it will get fixed and I'm just happy that games like this are getting made at all. Still, though. WTF.

The 4GB launcher mod fixes most of the CTDs in Skyrim: http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013#content

There's a fair bit of evidence for a memory leak and the restriction to 2GB of RAM seems to be the cause of the vast majority of CTDs. This assumes you've enough RAM to spare to use the mod of course.

From what I gather, SOTSII was forced to be released for financial reasons and they would never have released it in the state it was in otherwise. They've eternally ruined their brand now, and screwed Paradox over a fair bit too.

they ran out of money and hoodwinked their fans, they'll never get another pre-order again. They should of done a minecraft, sell it in beta for a knock down price and people would've known where they stood

Yeah, I won't be buying one of their games at launch again. The Minecraft model would have saved them a lot of grief.

Picked it up today for €9.99 in Game, 75% off, won't play it until it's fixed though

Latest patch seems to have sorted all the critical issues, so the game is playable now. I'm at turn 212 now and no crashes - the furthest I've got.

There's still a lot of stuff not working yet - like psionics and stuff and turn times are a little slow but it's actually fun now.

Latest patch seems to have sorted all the critical issues, so the game is playable now. I'm at turn 212 now and no crashes - the furthest I've got.

There's still a lot of stuff not working yet - like psionics and stuff and turn times are a little slow but it's actually fun now.

Hows the A.I? Any idea when the next patch is due?

Probably early Jan. just to add in a few things that they had hoped to have in the Dec patch. Then they will be doing less frequent but bigger patches in the new year.

AI is quite aggressive on the strategic side. Tactically, it's fine but there's not too much complexity to it. It runs supply & command ships away, and engages with combat ships. Maneuvering needs some work.

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Picked it up today for €9.99 in Game, 75% off, won't play it until it's fixed though

Got it in game today too :)

Got it in game today too :)

€10 cheaper than Steam today, i've a gansey load of games to get through before it though

• Advertisement

Given it will get a lot of ongoing love over the next year, I'd have to recommend it. At 20 euro, you'll easily get your money's worth.

Given it will get a lot of ongoing love over the next year, I'd have to recommend it. At 20 euro, you'll easily get your money's worth.

Tempting but I think I'll wait until the next sale on Steam, just too many games bought so far and not played.

There was an update on monday,I gonna give it a go now see how stable it is

I tinkered a bit with it, had no crashes, but i dont have a clue how to play this game

I tinkered a bit with it, had no crashes, but i dont have a clue how to play this game

haha nor do I :o

Picked up for a tenner in Game. Might get around to playing it at some point, in the mean time it can be patching away. ;)

€8.99 on Gamersgate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

So what state is this in now?

Is it worth the €8.99?:o

So what state is this in now?

Is it worth the €8.99?:o

I haven't got stuck into it yet because I've other games to get through but there's a total of 30 patches been applied to it since release,
    A lot of people on the Steam forums reckon the AI is a bit of a mess still

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

I haven't got stuck into it yet because I've other games to get through but there's a total of 30 patches been applied to it since release,
    A lot of people on the Steam forums reckon the AI is a bit of a mess still

Thanks, Will wait so. Should be around this price again during the summer sale when I have more time for it anyway.

Advertisement