Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sword of the Stars II

Options
  • 09-08-2011 1:20pm
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Recently picked the first SOTS in a Steam sale and I can't believe I waited so long before getting it. It's about as close to Master of Orion 2 as I've played and great fun. More combat emphasis than civ-style colony building, which initially put me off but I now think it was a good design choice.

The sequel is due out very shortly and looks brilliant. Check out the videos below - the armour system looks really cool.

Oh and I believe some of the developers formerly worked on Homeworld.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-sword-of-the/716288

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-sword-of-the/716286

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I have Sword of the stars and Argos naval expansion. Is it really worth the hassle of me installing them? Really?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Yeah. I'm still discovering new things all the time.

It has tons of depth. Plus big splozhuns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

The original is one of my favourite 4X games, spent days sometimes weeks conquering the galaxy then boom AI rebellion! Love the galactic event like the peacekeeper or the planet killer :D

Looking forward to seeing what the sequel offers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

this is out 6th october

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

28th of october now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Whats the big difference between this and Sins of a Solar Empire ?

Tyrant^ wrote: »

This is turn based I think

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Tyrant^ wrote: »

Sins is completely real time whereas SOTS is part turn based and part real time - a bit like the Total War games in that respect. You move/build fleets, colonise planets, manage economy & research etc. on a star map, turn based and then fight any battles in a real time 3d batle. The real time bits aren't a million miles away from Sins, so if you like that game I suspect you'll also like SOTS.

It's basically a lot like the classic master of orion series, if you're an old timer like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Its been pushed back again to the 18th of november now

• Advertisement

Apparently that is for the boxed version only and digital will release as planned on Friday.

At least I hope so. I have it pre-ordered on Steam and have next week off work :(

Anyone who got this want to give their thoughts?

Gonna properly try it out tomorrow but seems a little buggy at the moment. The devs admitted as much and said they intend to patch the hell out of it over the coming weeks.

It seems the version that got uploaded to Steam was a 2 week old beta version, which explains a lot. That seems to happen a lot lately. I think the same thing happened with Dead Island and Red Orchestra 2.

The proper version was supposed to be uploaded this evening but I've had no updates.

Will report back once I get to properly play with this.

Maximilian wrote: »
    It seems the version that got uploaded to Steam was a 2 week old beta version, which explains a lot. That seems to happen a lot lately. I think the same thing happened with Dead Island and Red Orchestra 2.

The proper version was supposed to be uploaded this evening but I've had no updates.

Will report back once I get to properly play with this.

Read that on the Paradox forums, a lot of unhappy campers over there with Kerebos

Yeah, I would honestly say hold off buying this unless you are a massive 4x strategy game/sots fan or very patient. The "correct" release version is now on steam but I don't see much difference or any actually.

It feels unoptimised and buggy. For example, the AI combat is now simulated better but that means waiting 15-20 seconds for that to take place. If 4 AI players have a combat event, that goes on for what seems ages. One AI kept repeating the same random encounter 7 turns in a row, presumably because the small fleet kept surviving the encounter by retreating or something. The same thing then repeats every turn. I dunno, because the simulation doesn't let you see what's going on.

edit: At the moment it's like a minute and a half between turns, with the same AI vs, random encounters playing out with no result it seems. Frustrating. No tooltips or they aren't working, so it's trial and error to figure out some icons.

I haven't had any combat yet, so I might change my mind when I see that but the strategy map is definitely less intuitive and it's just slower and more cumbersome to do things. There's a noticeable pause in moving between screens such as from research back to the starmap (and I'm running this off a SSD). The research screen is prettier but slower and harder to navigate - you can't just hold the right mouse button down and move your view around. Creating fleets is more difficult, the economy stuff is confusing. The manual is poor. No tutorial. A lot of the stuff you need to figure out yourself. you can't select options in-game. The cinematics option on the main menu is greyed out - surely this is not the release version?

I'm a bit disappointed but I'm going to persevere with it. At least the devs are gonna work hard to address the problems. They say they are going into work Sunday to try and get a patch out Monday. Bit of a trainwreck.

Combat better be amazing...

edit: finally got into combat after guessing which icon to select. no tooltips to tell you what icons do what in battle. Couldn't make my ship fire on the enemy (who were just sitting there). I pressed all the angry looking icons whilst hoping none was a self-destruct. I think my ships forgot to put the batteries in. I give up. I'll wait to see what happens on Monday. What a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Jesus ... the BUUUUUUGS.

This was me with this today.

Im waiting for patches.

Better off waiting till it drops in price then

Looks like this is buggy as fúck, people screaming for refunds

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Jesus. Will be holding off for a long time so it seems. :(

• Advertisement

I'll report back as the patches come in - let you guys know when it's actually playable.

There really is a great game lurking in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Awww man i was looking at this, hoped it would be good.

Well this is disapointing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Interesting.

I love the stuff Paradox release, but they really really need to revamp the way they and the studios they publish for do QA. I'm hoping that at least Magna Mundi and Crusader Kings II will be more polished than their usual releases.

Still, SOTS2 is another one to grab a year or so down the line in a Steam sale for €10/15 and sink a ridiculous amount of hours into.

Well CKII is finished they have 3 months to polish it and fix the kinks, so here's hoping, it's the 1 strategy game i'd pre-order

The word is Kerebos were running out of money so they released it in the state it was in, to keep funding it

Have they patched this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

They've been releasing patches every 2 or 3 days for the past few weeks afaik. Latest went live today.

Changelog below.
    Changelog for update r17948b

*** This update might break some old save games. ***

Critical fixes:
    - Fixed a bug that prevented income from being generated when doing a feasibility study.
    - Fixed a crash that could occur when trying to automatically distribute sliders from a hidden slider.
    - Fixed a crash with support missions trying to open a dialog twice in a turn.
    - Fixed a crash that would occur if closing the game while it was booting up.
    - Fixed a von neumann crash caused by the faction running out of resources for a new collector fleet.
    - Fixed an issue with crashing gem/forge world events from trying to apply moral bonus.
    - Drones can now be designed and assigned to ships.
    - Battle Riders may now be launched and recovered via their weapon icons in combat.
    - Combat turn flow was rewritten. All combat queries are now answered at once, and then all combat simulations play out.
    - Fixed a bug that stopped biome colonizers from improving terraforming values.

Other fixes:
    - Fixed a recent issue where only the default player profile would be used.
    - Fixed tech requirements on a few freighter ship sections.
    - Removed "freighter" designation from ship sections to which it was incorrectly applied.
    - Tarka freighter savings cost has been reduced from 1.5-million to 150,000.
    - Leviathan stats have been improved.
    - Tweaked turret arcs on a number of ship and station sections.
    - Stations whose crew die off stop rotating in combat.
    - Patrol battle riders now follow their tenders better.
    - Fixed an issue where battle riders were not swarming around stations effectively.
    - Fixed feasibility speech cues from using wrong speech library.
    - Fixed admiral driven speech to use proper case.
    - Fixed researching sound.
    - Fixed research completed early sound cue.
    - Fixed the battle draw and winning battle speech cues.
    - Fixed under-the-hood sliders to automatically reset themselves to zero.
    - Fixed an issue with swarmers trying to assign themselves to systems with no planets.
    - Fixed an issue with the flock bonus not being used as a percentage.
    - Moved the overharvest warning event to the correct location to stop it spamming every time the IO was queried.
    - Fixed an issue that caused the gem and forge world events to spam.
    - Fixed battle manager bug when entering system with no Naval base.
    - Made visual culling much more subtle on star map to avoid labels popping in and out.
    - Cleaned up view filter modes, populated list through code instead of through xml.
    - Fixed issue in battle manager where station slots where being displayed even if no CP was available.
    - Properly hooked up Mission/Engine section name display to riders in rider manager.
    - Combat ready animations no longer loop incorrectly on ships.
    - Save games should stay significantly smaller now due to the disabling of a debug feature that was storing a detailed history of all previous changes.
    - Fixed a visual issue where tracking torpedoes would draw erroneous lines across the screen.
    - The trade view filter on the star map now shows different icons for star systems.
    - Fixed a bug that caused the admirals to return an incorrect admiral prefix to sound cues.
    - Fixed a bug where Liir Naval Stations were displaying Hiver station assets.
    - Fixed visual jitter for battle riders returning to tender.
    - Fixed an issue where turn events were not displaying for some.
    - Fixed various sizing bugs in GUI lists.
    - Protean pods will return attacks.
    - Fixed incorrect terrain names in Clouds and Ring star maps.

Other changes:
    - New entries have been added to the encyclopedia's Galactic Atlas.
    - Added new weapons: Blast Storm Missile, Polaris Blast Beam Missile
    - Added new Rift star map.
    - Added the ability to skip camera transitions with the escape key.
    - Added a tutorial help screen for trade.
    - Added Zuul freighters.
    - Added missing Von Neumann PD weapons.
    - Adjusted station visibility distances for combat.
    - Added default ship names for command ships, bore ships, and gate ships.
    - Implementation of initial, new post combat dialog.
    - Added trade Modifier for trade distances.
    - Added a table to keep track of trade results to stop clients from not being able to see trade.
    - Stopped the ability to trade with someone you are at war with.
    - Increased the max planet range for provinces by 1 ly.
    - Added a configuration ability for disabling the main menu combat scene. There is no user interface for this diagnostic option, but it can be modified at your own risk in '%localappdata%\Sword of the Stars II\settings\settings.xml' by adding or modifying the LoadMenuCombat element with a True or False value.
    - Added launch effects for planet-to-orbit weapons.
    - Added "Reserve Slot" label to reserve rider slots.
    - Added events for post combat.
    - Added realtime feedback to trade slider adjustment in trade view.
    - Added filter to battle rider manager to display only carriers in widget.
    - Added color coding to riders in rider manager.
    - Added max flock bonus to strat mods and hooked it up to morrigi drive tech.
    - Added a function for adding orbits with orbit numbers.

Key known issues:
    - There is no post-combat popup.
    - Screen transition time still slow for some.
    - Game not running in 64-bit for some (running 32-bit works).
    - Looking for people unable to connect to GameSpy for MP.

Source.

• Advertisement

Still loads of stuff not working properly/at all though.

Advertisement