Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guard-dogs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Ok, well a Boxer will pretty much do exactly that - ours go BALLISTIC whenever anyone comes within about 20 feet of the house, but if someone comes into the house, then they'll be slobbering all over them within minutes.

What distinction are you making between a watchdog and a guard-dog?

ETA: Never underestimate the deterrent effect that just a dog barking can have. We had to give statements to a pair of detectives at home a few years back and the dogs went ballistic barking at them & jumping up at the door when they rang the doorbell. I hustled the dogs into the kitchen and was like "Sorry about that!" and the Gardai were like "Don't be sorry." They basically said that a burglar is looking for the easiest target and if they hear a dog barking in your house/garden, they'll move on to the house that doesn't.

I would second this, I have 2 dogs both rescue mutts and both the friendliest lumps who love people but oh man, if a car comes up the driveway or someone knocks at the door, the postlady, even when my husband drives up the drive, they go BALLOOBAS!!! And I let them because I'm happy for the word to spread that 'there's 2 lunatic dogs in that house'!!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

I think I know the point your trying to make with the guard dog/watch dog thing!

My King Charles might bark if she thought somebody was around the house in the middle of the night but if they actually came into the house or she decided she was bored of barking :P then she would stop and greet anyone with joy even if they had just climbed in the kitchen window.

A friend of mine has a Jack Russell and if somebody they havn't been introduced to was approaching the house they'd run at them barking. They have never attacked anybody but instead of just sitting their barking they would run around and intimidate whoever was coming. Same with a German Shepard, my friend would never train hers to attack but the persistance of those kind of breeds with barking along with not actually turning friendly until they see the owner interact with the person make them guard dogs. Also, seeing a German Shepard or even a Jack Russell (I'm a bit afraid of them I have to admit!) would definitely put off somebody who was trying to enter your house uninvited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I know what the op means. I have a gsd. Mark my words you don't know this dog u would not cross our gate. She is intimidating and she makes an awful lot of noise. It'd be the brave burglar that would take the chance coming into our house.

However, she is first and foremost a pet, has never bitten and is not trained to do so. I can't be sure what she would do if any of us were actually threatened, I don't think she would hold back.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ohmfg

I also understand exactly what the OP means.
    Perhaps that's because I have one each, of the type of dog the OP is talking about.
    We have two GSDs, one, of the barking and then licking to death any one and everyone type, the other, of the barking and "you shall not pass me unless I get the all clear" variety.

Neither are a threat to anyone but the more guarding one would make even the very bravest and most committed burglar think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

There seems to be alot of confusion about guard dogs, personal protection dogs and just ordinary dogs. Most ordinary dogs will flee before attacking. Unless they are badly kept/trained/fed of course.

OP if you want a proper guard/protection dog its gonna take time and training. If you are going to keep the dog indoors when you're not home then whats wrong with your pointer mix? Loud, deep bark Im guessing, which is what you want from what I would call a watch dog.

I have a GSD and she would be absolutely useless if anyone broke in. People like to imagine the dog coming to the rescue but realistically they are all bark and no bite (unless you bite train them).

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

lrushe wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree here, there are a pair of Neopolitan Mastiffs that 'guard' a warehouse beside a market I go to on Sunday and they are absolutely useless at the job but in a good way:). I go over to the railings to say hello and the 2 of them coming running, bums wiggling, absolutely delighted to have some human attention. Heartbreaking to walk away from them, 2 beautiful dogs who deserve to be in a home with a family not lying on concrete with no human contact :( Anyway that's my rant over :)
    OP most any dog will bark if they hear or see anything out of the ordinary around their home even a JRT is in most cases enough to detour someone from coming on to your property.
    Most of the guarding breeds are v.human orientated and will want to spend more time with you than outside guarding your property. The only exceptions might be something along the lines of the more independant Guardian Breeds like Anatolian Shepherds or Maremma who were breed to protect livestock away from people, however these breeds wouldn't be readily available in Ireland and are alot of dog for the average owner.
    You also have to be aware that you are threading a fine line between 'watch dog' and 'guard dog' and a dog might not necessarily see the boudary, one slip up could land you and your dog in alot of trouble.

TBH, I think most people took me up wrong on that. I've never met a good guarding mastiff either, its their look that puts people off and the deep, throaty bark when they spot strangers. Otherwise, they'll let you in without a problem. What I meant was that they are less high maintanance than some of the other guarding breeds. i wouldn't want to see one treated the way that most people treat guard dogs either:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭concur4u?

i think theres a big difference between a guard dog and a domestic watch dog i know of a man made his living in guard dogs for security in industrial yards and the like mostly German Shepard's/rothweilers/dobermans left in pairs on the premises these were not pets and he even lost some of them to drugged steaks by burglars and then you have house pet to watch a house that lives with people family etc but would be well socailised with children and other dogs and pets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

If your looking for a good guard dog which will also intimidate any would be burglar then look no further than:

Bullmastiff
    German Shepard
    Rhodesian Ridgeback
    Rottweiler
    Doberman

Other dogs maybe suitable as alert dogs. But no dogs should be left for long periods of time without stimulation and lots of exercise. The amount of guard dogs just left by themselves with no human contact for long periods at a time, usually tied up and kept outside without adequate housing is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Karma25

For intimidation purposes alone I would pick the Cane Corso. Fierce looking :)

On my own experiences, a Jack Russell. My neigbour has one and she forgot her front door keys one day and wanted me to jump the high fence to get her keys for the back door which were hidden in her back. I then needed to walk through the house and open the front for her. As soon as I had the back door opened in the kitchen was the Jack Russell. Not a bark out of him, he just bared his teeth a few times. That little warning was enough for me to say Screw it! :)

I could be wrong but I think the Cane Corso is banned or extremely restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

poozers wrote: »
    also, the people at the animal welfare will be able to give you an idea of the dogs personality, what theyre like with kids and other dogs etc etc! also, these are dogs that are looking for homes and will be MORE than happy to get one from someone whos looking!

If you say to a rescue that you want a dog as a guard they will rightly not let you take a dog.

There is no such thing as a breed that guards. You can turn a Yorkie into a Guard dog just as easily as a Rottie or GSD. The danger comes from the fact that owners encourage their dog to guard & then a kid climbs over the gate. Dogs are never naturally aggressive so many dog bites are the result of people mis-training the poor dog so that it does not know the right way to react.

I find it disturbing that some posters here are happily recommending large powerful breeds to use a personal protection devices. When this goes wrong, as it often does, the dog either ends up being put down or a rescue has to invest huge amounts of time trying to rehabilitate the dog.

Even worse it gives the impression that the chosen breed is aggressive which is why we already have a restricted breed list. These breeds need to be seen as adorable family pets not guard dogs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Bullseye1 wrote: »

The Cane Corso does not feature on our list of 11 breeds which have control restrictions imposed. So it is subject to no more control legislation than a Labrador.
    Not a dog I'd recommend around a family home.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

DBB wrote: »
    The Cane Corso does not feature on our list of 11 breeds which have control restrictions imposed. So it is subject to no more control legislation than a Labrador.

+1 on this. I've only met one in my lifetime so far, and definitely not a dog for the faint of heart. I think they're included in the breed ban in the UK.

TBH, I'm a bit lost here as well on the difference between a watchdog and a guarddog unless the OP really is looking for a dog that will bite first, ask questions later. There are a lot of dogs that will look intimidating, but are big slobs at heart, my own fella for one, but that's all their good for is scare tactics. Any big dog will look intimidating though; having a st bernard running towards you barking can be pretty scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Shanao wrote: »
    +1 on this. I've only met one in my lifetime so far, and definitely not a dog for the faint of heart. I think they're included in the breed ban in the UK.

TBH, I'm a bit lost here as well on the difference between a watchdog and a guarddog unless the OP really is looking for a dog that will bite first, ask questions later. There are a lot of dogs that will look intimidating, but are big slobs at heart, my own fella for one, but that's all their good for is scare tactics. Any big dog will look intimidating though; having a st bernard running towards you barking can be pretty scary.

Its been established that the OP wants a dog that will bark at intruders and keep barking at intruders(though not biting), unlike his dogs they will bark then run to the intruder looking for belly rubs.

I've come across dogs like this but its never a specific breed, its more the dogs personality.

That list only deals with dogs which people are slowed to keep but under strict conditions. But I'm sure there was a list of 4-5 dogs which have even tighter controls. I think the Dogo Argentino, Fila Brasileiro, Tosa Inu and American Pitbull are on that list. Or maybe it only refers to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Its been established that the OP wants a dog that will bark at intruders and keep barking at intruders(though not biting), unlike his dogs they will bark then run to the intruder looking for belly rubs.

I've come across dogs like this but its never a specific breed, its more the dogs personality.

The point is that the dog will either have an excited bark, hackles down, or an aggressive, hackles up, bark. To anyone who knows the difference the first one will not seem threatening but it will to most people.

If the OP wants the second then you can't train the dog to bark aggressively without the risk that it will bite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

That list only deals with dogs which people are slowed to keep but under strict conditions. But I'm sure there was a list of 4-5 dogs which have even tighter controls. I think the Dogo Argentino, Fila Brasileiro, Tosa Inu and American Pitbull are on that list. Or maybe it only refers to the UK.

Yeah, thats is a UK list, it has nothing to do with us here. Those dogs are banned under UK law, there are no banned breeds in Eire.

As ISDW says, these breeds are banned in the UK and NI and does not, in any case, include the Cane Corso. There is no ban keeping any breed in the Republic of Ireland.
    In Ireland, the only special restrictions apply to the eleven breeds as listed in the Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 (S.I. No. 442/1998), which does not include the Cane Corso.
    In either case, whether you live in Ireland or the UK, the Cane Corso is not subject to any controls that a Labrador isn't.

Thanks for the clarification. Strange that they only adopted some of the UKs laws and leave out the banned breeds altogether. Just shows how out of touch Irish Politicians are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Thanks for the clarification. Strange that they only adopted some of the UKs laws and leave out the banned breeds altogether. Just shows how out of touch Irish Politicians are.

Well personally I think that the fact there is any BSL at all shows how out of touch they are. I don't understand your point that that we adopted some of the UK laws? Any Irish laws that are the same as the UK tend to be old laws, from pre-independence legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

3 Jack Russells at home in my mothers and a German shepard, with out fail the jacks are the boys who have the ear from strang going on's outside while the GSD has the fear factor to back the jacks up.
    When there in the pack they seem to give each other confidence they would'nt normaly have on their own which is quite funny when the un-wanted are sniffing around.
    The German shepard has never bit anyone and never will, while the 3 jacks will not thinks twice on grabbing the trouser leg of people they think will pose a threat to the house or the family, which is rare but 99% spot on when it does.

Some parts of our initial Protection of Animals Act of 1911 still stand, but has been amended by the 1965 Amendment Act. The 1911 Act is one the very few pieces of legislation enacted pre-Republic that is still in operation today.
    Our Control of Dogs Act, as amended, which governs licencing, leash laws, muzzling laws, impoundment etc, is very much our own legislation, as is the almost all legislation in the republic today (did I see it called the ree State earlier? It's odd hearing it called that:o). The vast majority of old, largely abandoned, english laws which were clinging on were repealed several years ago.

Whilst our politicians are indeed out of touch on issues relating to dogs and animals generally, I'm afraid the UK haven't exactly showered themselves in glory with their breed specific legislation (BSL). It is this very ill-conceived legislation which is responsible for up to 75% of dogs in Battersea Dogs' Home, and many UK rescues, being "of type". Very few of these thousands of dogs are ever rehomed, doomed to a life in a cell or an early death.
    So, this is a case where the Irish legal situation regarding dogs is somewhat better than the UK scenario.
    That said, England, Wales, Scotland and NI have some very nice new and newish animal welfare and dog control laws which I'm hoping we'll model any new welfare legislation on. I won't be holding my breath though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

(did I see it called the ree State earlier? It's odd hearing it called that:o).

Apologies for being incredibly off topic. I was in pets at home in derry last year looking at collars, got chatting to a woman who was buying a collar for her new puppy, she asked me was I from the free state! :eek: I had to stop and think for a second where the hell she was on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

As Doberman owner can say this breed is not going to meet the criteria you outlined in first post. They need their people alot so will not do well left alone for long period regardless of other canine company- sensitive Velcro dogs, won't do well outdoors, very high energy, rough bowsies who are playground bullies, need loads of training and stimulation a one hour on lead walk is nothing for this dog it's all about using their brain and challenging them, too smart to bother with fetch!! Naturally this guy is always "on" he reacts to every strange noise and will run around garden with hackles up I have had to work really hard to try and dilute this instinct. Most loving dog iv ever owned will sit big 46 kilo body on top of me on couch and skeeps at end of my bed But one way with me and people he knows and different with those he doesn't it's very subtle difference you woulnt notice it if you didn't know him but I do he just gets that bit quieter and while will tolerate people rubbing him hes not enjoying it the way he does when we do! Based on the details you have posted I'd say defo steer clear of dobies. I also have a whippet x and she is very very clever knows when to bark and when not to bark very protective of the house and of us if anything I'd say she the better guard dog!! Not that I condone owning dogs just for guarding mine are family pets my house alarm is for guarding the dogs are for me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

ya didnt need to go past the first reply, the jrt is a brilliant all round dog, ive bred them for years (not now), train them young and they will serve you well,and you will never see a rat or mouse stay too long at your house either.

as far as i know ( i looked into buying a not so long ago) the cane corsa cannot be bought here as a breeding dog, meaning,you may get one that isnt registerd but you cant get a registerd one here with breeding rights, there is a breeder in scotland,and a few in spain and belgium that im aware of,

and from all reports they are very loyal and defend the familly they are part of .
    a big dog,not for a timid owner,or a beginner owner,unless your willing to be trained also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Sorry if off topic, but I don't agree about dogs not biting people near the house. When I was a child I used to go up to the local shop for some penny jellies. I used to pass an adult labrador on the way up. I always walked along the road, not on the foot path outside the house. The dog used to always be outside his front door, which was about 10-13 feet in from the path, up a bunch of steps.

I used to get scared by the dog whenever I walked past as he used to always look at me while sitting outside his front door. One day when I was walking pass I held eye contact a bit too long and the dog came out and bit me in the behind. Why did he do that? I didn't hold a deviant stare, it was a timid stare. I was walking along the road as usual and did not go up to the pavement.

I went looking for the owner with my friends and I found him and told him what happened, he saw it's only a small bite, you'll be OK. :mad:

Advertisement