Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's longest you played for in one sitting

Options
  • 08-08-2011 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

After reading the thread about the guy in England who died after play for 12 hour straight.
    I thought I'd ask what was the longest poeple have ever played in one go and what game.

GTA IV single player : 8 hour

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

Not sure,. but out of Heroes of Newerth, Guild Wars, Eve and Oblivion there must be at least one 12 hour stint.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'd guess I've done over 10 hours on a final fantasy....couldn't tell ya when though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Pretty sure I've spent whole days on some Final Fantasy games :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

About 8-9 hours, when GTA: San Andreas came out I played it all night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭BrerWolf

maybe 15-16 hours.... not sure as when I do that everything gets kindof blurry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

About 20 Hours when i used to play World of Warcraft. A new server opened and i kinda wanted to level fast and be among one of the first the hit max level. I think it was close on 20 Hours in one stint with short breaks for food and stuff. You know you played to much when you see the sun rising the next morning and birds chirping.

I did similiar times with the two expansions that followed, although not near 20 hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

8-9 hours. thought i would still go for peepee, some tea/beer, burnt pizza or sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

BrerWolf wrote: »
    maybe 15-16 hours.... not sure as when I do that everything gets kindof blurry
    Get the boat :D:D
    Thats some hardcore gaming man :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd always take a break and I find I get very bored of any game if I play it too long. I have to do something else with my day or else I just feel horrible afterwards. I'd have the odd all day hangover session but sure I'd break to eat and get outside during it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I received gears 2 the day before official release (kudos gamesnash) and I just happened to have the day off work. 10-11 straight hours of awesomeness!

Other than that sole example, its 2-3 hours max

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

I just remember xmas 2 years, myself and lads were playing mw2 over the break. I had played and smoked that much over a four day period. I actually turned grey in colour was a bit scary. We were doing mad hours. (never again do i want too turn grey).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Played Oblivion for about 16 hours the day it was released. My flatmate also played it through the night, and when we talked about it the next day we both had completely different things happen to us. Was brilliant to have another viewpoint on it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I think the absolute max was one day a few months ago where i beat Portal 1 & 2 back to back, it was about 8 hours. (that said I'd get up and walk around every so often, toilet, drinks etc). Generally 3 hours would be my max.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Back when I was playing WoW a lot (and had no kids )there's the odd day off I may have managed 12+ hours , but that would involve popping off for a few mins to grab a cup of tea/dinner etc.
    I used to maybe hit the 5-6 hour mark a fair bit a lot of nights .
    Before I quit wow there recently I was at about the 3 hour mark , maybe less.

Think I managed an all morning/afternoon /evening/nighter playing a game called Rings of Power on the megadrive years back .I'd rented it and wanted to finish it before I returned it. Renting RPGs which saved to cartridge from video libraries was a bad idea back then;)

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

I think I played Final Fantasy 12 for 30 hours or so once.
    Not proud of it, but there it is.
    Cant remember if it was really that long, may have been 24 hours.
    I didn't even end up liking that game story wise ( the reason I bought those games) but the combat system was really great, spent well over 100 hours total on that game.

I definitely played FF7 for 18 hours straight when it came out though, and an 8 hour gaming session (while not something I can do anymore) is not really something I find all that amazing when I hear about it.

I must have had some 12 hour Fallout3 sessions when it came out....I definitely played that game till dawn a few times...who knows?

Believe it or not I have a hot wife and I'm not fat as fatass. :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I think I clocked up to 16 hours with food and drink by my side as I played COD4 for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Longest was probably about 10 hours with FFIX. Started and next thing I know I was getting called for breakfast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

10 years ago I was doing 8-10 hour sessions almost every weekend! Now I keep it to 1-3 hours.

Bar RPGs I find most games are best played in short bursts. The action gets repetitive and you're not really appreciating what you're playing any longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Played Civ IV all night many a time but generally 5-6 hours would be my absolute max, typically a long session for me is 4 hours. I find that playing a game for too long just makes me depressed in thinking that I've wasted my entire day on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

This thread has made me feel much better about myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Played FM during the study week before my leaving for serious amounts. Think I racked up ~33 hours in 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

the most important question lads: could you repeat that again?

i know i couldnt... i cant stick with one game for more then 1-2h

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Summer of either 3rd year/4th year (Finished LC last summer), some days I'd be on RuneScape until 6am (even other people on IRC were like GO TO BED [I got kicked from a channel as a way of saying it :9]), go to bed & play FF7 on my PSP, get up at like 7-10am when mam & dad were gone to work and go back on until 6am again and go to sleep that night till like 5/6pm. That summer's probably the reason I need glasses to read stuff on the TV..

It wasnt complete stints (the whole time without getting up), but there'd be very little, only a few minutes for food (I'd usually eat at midnight)/bathroom, while I wouldn't be playing. IRC got MUCH better at like 5AM due to people from the US being more active then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

about 13 or 14 hours on final fantasy 10 when it first came out.

I got home at about 4 or 5 in the afternoon, and started playin until i litterally passed out. (I was sitting on my bed playing it)

I woke up and the boss fight i fell asleep durin was still waiting for me to take my turn.
    I started playin again for about a half hour then got food.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

For me, about 8 hours on Zelda:LTTP on the SNES on the day I got it.
    8pm until about 4am.

What a game.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Civ IV for roughly 11pm-6am, after I initially installed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I remember getting a loan of a load of PS1 games back in around 97/98, parents went off for the weekend so i had the house to myself. Was in school until 3.30pm on the Friday, bought 8 litres of coke, 6 boxes of green pringles, and about £40 of ****e food. Got home around 4pm, put everything in a nice circle around me, and aside from going to the jacks every now and again, i played straight through until 7am Monday. So whats that, ah, 63 hours? And i'm not lieing. Bit stupid to lie about something like that! That was some weekend though! I was sick for a week after it.

Nowadays, if herself goes off working/visiting family in another county for the weekend, i'll probably get up around 10am, play until about 2am. Actually, used to do 24 hours stints on MW2 when it first came out. It was my first online game, and i was living by myself. Bad combination. Would still do long enough stints if i could, but actual life gets in the way. I think i'm an addict :eek: Done 14 hours on Fallout 3 there a few weekends back.

... played straight through until 7am Monday. So whats that, ah, 63 hours?.....

63 hours with zero sleep?
    Respect.

What games were you playing as a matter of interest?

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    I woke up and the boss fight i fell asleep durin was still waiting for me to take my turn.
    I started playin again for about a half hour then got food.

LOL yeah that happened to me often, in fact now that I think of it I liked FFX much more than most games and finished it through a good 4 or 5 times so I must have had a few mammoth sessions with it.

These days the wife would never stand for a 12 hour gaming session though.

Manach wrote: »
    Civ IV for roughly 11pm-6am, after I initially installed it.

Never got caught up in CIV IV but I played Civ V once since I bought it, that game was 8 hours long.
    Same problem with Sins of a Solar Empire, wish I could just pause time to play some games, even a short game of Sins on a "small" map could be 6 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

23 hours is the longest I ever played straight but that was on the ps1 back in the day playing resident evil 1. great game it was and I slept well thereafter.

Advertisement