Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ONE JOULE GONE ?

Options
  • 08-08-2011 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Ive heard today from an airsoft player that he has been told by someone that the joule limit is supposed to be taken of as of next year?
    anyone anything to say to that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

That's not happening, one joule is here to stay for forseeable future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I've not heard anything about this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eminence

he said that he was quiet sure and that he had gotten this from a reliable resource.
    He also told me that the limit will be removed for bolt action sniper rifles only and the new limit will be 2J
    I will contact him and find out more about this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Do let us know what you find out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Arkslippy

A 2j limit would be the end of the game here. Also, your friend is pulling your leg as the guards would have no reason to allow it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eminence

Why would it be end of the game?
    I Think it would make the game even better, it would allow snipers.
    Ireland is one of the few countries that has any restrictions whether to airsoft below 500 fps, and there is a huge difference in the actual sense of being a sniper if you can shoot as far as any normal aeg, is it even worth it if you cant shoot further ? NO. Thats why i think its believable that people have been enquireing for the limit to be removed for BOLT-ACTION SNIPER RIFLES ONLY

Because the limit has nothing to do with the type of rifle or the role it plays in the game.

It's not set at the j for realism purposes. It's set that way for legal reasons so that the toy guns we love are not classed as firearms for licensing purposes. It's a health and safety benchmark applied to law.

And if you would like a definite answer, no it won't change. A person I know in the doj says so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Eminence wrote: »
    he said that he was quiet sure and that he had gotten this from a reliable resource.
    He also told me that the limit will be removed for bolt action sniper rifles only and the new limit will be 2J
    I will contact him and find out more about this.

Nah, he's full of ****.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Arkslippy wrote: »
    It's a health and safety benchmark applied to law.

I'd have to agree with this point. it makes it clear cut from a legal point, everything must be under thsi limit or be classed as illegal, it also ensures where possible that everyone is kept safe while being involved in the sport. well safe from thw point of view that if they follow common sense and wear eye protection etc then they wont suffer any serious injury from teh use of an AEG, of course they can still be injured.

I can understand folks wanting an increase for some AEGs like snipers etc form the realism p.o.v. however the law doesnt and shouldnt distinguish between the types of AEG or their use and i'd imagine it would be a nightmare for the Gardai etc to try figure out what was a sniper and what isnt if a package gets stopped at customs or they happen to stop someone on the way to a site for a day of airsoft.

I think we're lucky to have what we do have, to my knowledge there are countries out there that dont allow them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Ireland is one of the few countries that has any restrictions whether to airsoft below 500 fps,
    Wishful thinking. In terms of regs we are pretty free compared to most countries, or would you not count outright bans, U18 age limits, transparent guns etc?
    Thats why i think its believable that people have been enquireing for the limit to be removed for BOLT-ACTION SNIPER RIFLES ONLY
    I am not sure who these people "enquireing" are. There is a boringly regular whinge here, but that is far from any sort of official request for a power limit change. Not that it would be likely to be granted anyway.

In the interest of hearing something new on airsoft power limits in Ireland, could I ask a question of the former IAA committee members who saved the sport a few years ago.

Is the current 1J limit explicitly stated in the legislation, and therefore would require a new bill in order for it to be changed. Or is the power limit set by ministerial order (or the similar) and therefore could be changed without legislation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Why would it be end of the game?
    I Think it would make the game even better, it would allow snipers.
    There are already plenty of snipers.
    Ireland is one of the few countries that has any restrictions whether to airsoft below 500 fps,
    Wrong.
    and there is a huge difference in the actual sense of being a sniper if you can shoot as far as any normal aeg,
    Wrong.
    is it even worth it if you cant shoot further ?
    Yes.
    NO.
    Wrong.
    Thats why i think its believable that people have been enquireing for the limit to be removed for BOLT-ACTION SNIPER RIFLES ONLY
    People have been doing everything from casually talking about it to screaming demands of it from virtual rooftops. It's not going to change what has been enshrined in law with reference and regard to medical findings in biological tolerances for injury.

I'm summary, your friend is, as gerrowdat said, "full of ****".

Sniping is supposedly about, stealth, fear in the enemy, area denial ect.

I wouldn't know, I'm an airsoft skirmisher, and if you want to bring a single fire airsoft device into the field, you should plan for its limits and work out tactics for it. Plenty of people do it and enjoy it.

There are also plenty of "super accurate and great range" rifles on sale in the adverts thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

I hope to god the limit is never raised. Maybe in a 100 years when the sport matures enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Ive heard today from an airsoft player that he has been told by someone that the joule limit is supposed to be taken of as of next year?
    anyone anything to say to that?
    basically, he lied.

Besides if you look up airsoft on Wikipedia and go through the listed countries you'll see that most have similar rules, with the exception of far east countries and old eastern block, most are 1j. The sniper is an exception in some but there rules are longer standing than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

I honestly don't see why you would want the higher FPS, i can't see the sense in it. if anything 1.2J pushing 1.4J would be fine but 1J like stated is a safety thing and most airsofters are perfectly happy with it.Including me
    Have you found out where he got this 'reliable' info from?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dinko4gr

T4RGET wrote: »
    I honestly don't see why you would want the higher FPS, i can't see the sense in it. if anything 1.2J pushing 1.4J would be fine but 1J like stated is a safety thing and most airsofters are perfectly happy with it.Including me
    Have you found out where he got this 'reliable' info from?

it was probably an "inspiring" moment in the lil boys room where mouths are not the only source of talking..:D:pac:

@OP in my brief experience with airsoft (about 6 months) i ve come across people blind shooting or going full auto in CQB areas within less than 5 meters. you really think these people should be allowed to have a 2j limit while 1j is barely considered "safe" ? i once gave 2 courtesy "bangs" after jumping around a corner and coming face to face with one person standing and one on his knee ( no comments please .. :p) the outcome of that was getting hosed with BBs. while i do understand it was probably reflex shooting i would hate to even consider what it would feel like it their guns were at 2j.

on a side note i ve so far have gone through 4 dif set of face protection started with the basic black fugly full face mask and now moved to ski sized mesh googles and nose-mouth-ears-neck mesh cover. im a firm believer that face protection is never good enough . why would you want a limit that makes this even worse. besides as loads and loads and loads of people have said before more power doesnt mean more distance on a 1:1 ratio.

my 2 cents and i would like a receipt please.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭shane_rafferty

I think 1j is fine its not the power its how you play.
    If they are ever going to change the power it will most likely down not up.
    We should be happy its 1j and not like Germany with a half j power.
    So we should be happy with the limit its fine as it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darkslider

I'd have to agree with most people posting on this thread. With the level of over-kill that goes on in some games, the 1J limit is probably enough. At a recent night-ops game a friend of mine was shot, and being an honest guy he took his hit and stood up with his hand in the air calling the hit - at which point he was totally peppered by at least 4 guys with high rof AEGs. He arrived back to the safezone covered in welts and bleeders.

I myself have been shot point blank with pistols, aegs and even an M203 once - none of which were pleasant at 1J. I'd dread to think of receiving the same punishment from a 2J gun.

I realise why some would want a higher muzzle energy for snipping and distance shooting but sooner or later you'll find yourself in a CQ scenario and 'there will be blood'. The reality is that if someone did get seriously hurt by an airsoft rifle, the government will put on it's prohibition hat (exactly like they did with Head shops), and airsoft will be no more in this country. For that reason, I'd stick with the 1J limit. It protects the sport as much as it does the participants.

but joule limit has very little effect on distance though, don't know why people have that thought that 2J will fly miles further than 1J it won't go much furhter tbh barrel, hop up and air seal/compression are main things that increase and decrease the range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darkslider

Fair enough... I would have said that Barrel, hop up and seal would effect accuracy and consistency. Sure, these will contribute to range but I would think velocity is always goin to be a major factor in range.

Having said that, I remeber a guy skirmishing with an AK that had ridiculous range and still shot within the 1J limit.

I guess it's the correct combination of these elements.
    Anyhoo.... I'd still be an advocat of the 1J limit.

darkslider wrote: »
    Fair enough... I would have said that Barrel, hop up and seal would effect accuracy and consistency. Sure, these will contribute to range but I would think velocity is always goin to be a major factor in range.

Having said that, I remeber a guy skirmishing with an AK that had ridiculous range and still shot within the 1J limit.

mates L85 fires at 280 something and has ;like 70 metres range, don't know how it happened he dropped in my old G&G green hop up into it and it flew miles, loosing accuracy and velocity obviously as it traveled but my Raider firing at near enough 320 is getting 55m, so yeah a combination of the barrel hop and air seal is the best.

darkslider wrote: »

Nope. between 200 and 400fps, range isnt effected very significantly by FPS.

ALL range variance, is hop and barrel, above 400... bit of an effect, growing in a positive relationship over 400ish...

so the usual 'well if i have more it will do more!' is total carp. I use a 280fps rifle in the uk, it outranges most 350 rifles. What does fps do? makes the bb get there faster...

if you have crap barrel and hop, and a 400fps rifle, its just going to fall short of your target faster.

Why is this topic still going out of curiosity?
    'i heard the limit is raising'
    'no its not'
    'oh ok'
    'end'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Firekitten wrote: »
    Why is this topic still going out of curiosity?
    'i heard the limit is raising'
    'no its not'
    'oh ok'
    'end'

You're missing a crucial step that backs up any story on the internet:

'My friend told me it's true'

bugger, foiled by the internet....

better blame the nazis, envoke godwin's law, and end this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Airsofter101

I was only talking to a very reliable source in the civil service, there is no movement at all in the limit upwards, however they are trying to make sole traders in Ireland the only place to buy airsoft guns in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Ah ... it's that time of the year again - the 'why don't we raise the fps limit' thread time!

As posted my numerous people above, the fps is governed by legislation that is wider and more important than airsoft. That's not going to change so that some lad with a bolt action can get a higher fps for a skirmish - come on, get real! Unless 'your mate' is the minister for justice (and to the best of my knowledge, Minister Shatter isn't a regular airsofter, or ... you know ... even an airsofter) then OP I'm afraid that they're full of crap/misinformed/deluded/wrong (delete as appropriate).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Talking to a reliable source today who was telling me that there are 4 foot spiders selling bags of crystal meth on lower abbey street.

Went down couldnt see any, got a few looks when I asked, didnt feel like an idiot though, cause this fella is a reliable source.

o...wait...

TheDoc wrote: »
    Talking to a reliable source today who was telling me that there are 4 foot spiders selling bags of crystal meth on lower abbey street.

You clearly werent looking in the right spot... I met a few riding on 10ft chickens selling thier wares... reasonably priced too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Ah ... it's that time of the year again - the 'why don't we raise the fps limit' thread time!
    Time of the year? More like time of the week.

The last thread is barely a week old, and here comes this nonsense again. Although this time we have a "reliable source" :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement