Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quinn refusing to quote me on high powered cars until I'm 30

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I got quoted 1200 on an 2001 M5 about a year ago with QD, I was 30 at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Anan1 wrote: »
    Every insurance company has their own rules, and QD don't want to insure the OP on a BMW 330i until they're 30. I don't mean to sound smart, but I see nothing remarkable about that.

You're not half as smart as you think you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

steve9859 wrote: »
    I like the German health care system. Health insurance is privatized but required by law and everyone regardless of age, sex, history etc. pays the exact same price for insurance. It works out cheaper all round, and the companies are guaranteed a fixed income so can plan things much better.

Would love to see a similar system here for car insurance. Guess I can always dream...:rolleyes:

But you driving a fast car is a luxury. health provision is a necessity. I am not sure that anyone should be forced through equalisation of premiums to facilitate your purchase of a luxury item, when you have other options (ie. a smaller car)

Health insurance is also a luxury in Ireland as health care is provided by the state for free, people choose to have it. If you are going down the route of motor insurance equalization I'd imagine vehicles would be classified according to risk (akin to UK vehicle insurance) and a flat rate fee would apply to the vehicle regardless of the age of the driver, therefore the average driver will not pay for luxury vehicles through an equalization system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Probably worth mentioning QD have insured me on an E46 325ci at 20, and now an E46 M3 at 22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

ottostreet wrote: »
    Seeing as how having insurance is a legal requirement, shouldn't insurance companies be legally required to provide it?

They do, but typical Ireland you must jump threw hoops and anything else in the way.

You must get three letters of refusals from 3 insurance companys. Problem here is they sometimes refuse to give the refusal letter. Which in itself is against some consumer law, the guy from the IIF told me this.

You must then bring these three letters to the IIF and they will force one of the three insurance companys to give you a quote. The quote must be reasonable and not over the top to the same extent that it is the same as not providing a quote. EG, giving you a quote of 20,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

if your 25 or over you can get trade insurance. i think you need 4 years no claims. i was 27 when i got my first trade insurance for 1460 fully comp. but ive heard of guys getting it cheaper if the op want to know more pm me and ill give you the companys details. and he can ring them for a chat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

KamiKazi wrote: »
    You're not half as smart as you think you are.

Attack the post, not the poster please.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

fitzgese wrote: »
    Yeah this is more what I'm getting at, I'm pretty sure there is some insurance company out there that will quote me, my point was more has QD changed their target market in the past few years? When I was looking to get insurance first time, they were pretty much the only company who would give me a reasonable quote. I guess there's nothing really remarkable about it, a better question to ask would be is there any insurance company (besides XS direct) that caters for the younger driver looking to insure a higher performance car, that will quote online for these types of cars?

I will ring probably ring them all eventually, just want to cut down on the permutations of cars and companies as far as possible, or at least get a rough idea of what it would cost to insure certain cars without having to spend hours on the phone.
    I know what you mean, but there are just so many variables that ringing everyone is really the only way to go.

Advertisement