Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quinn refusing to quote me on high powered cars until I'm 30

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

But young drivers have been proven more likely to be in an accident. That's a fact. I'm a young driver. I accept that people my age (moreso younger drivers than me) cause the biggest insurance claims. You can choose to ignore this, but the facts are the facts. Race or skin color have nothing to do with it...

What do you propose?
    We cant be judged on an individual basis. How do you decide who pays more/less?
    In a perfect world everyone would pay the same, but there are far more 'old' drivers who would end up paying more under a different system, so its not gonna happen...

I'm not picking arguments, insurance companies are businesses. Subject to business models. I hate them just as much as anyone else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Don`t wanna go off topic but i thought i share my story with QD.
    Around 3 yrs ago i was just under 30 and was thinking to get an evo or a dc2 so rang a few companies. Had 6+yrs no claim bonus, over 10yrs driving experience owned a couple of high performance cars before.

Now I rang QD and they flat out refused to quote me on the evo which i accepted knowing it was a high performance sport car.

I rang them a day later from my workplace and tried to get a quote on the dc2 and was told it is a high performance car cant insure me.

Now I suspected that there was a little racism involved since i am not irish so gave my phone to my mate who was irish with heavy skanger accent and all to try to insure the very same car with the same details i gave them and on top of that he was a year younger than me.

Guess what? Yo man happily quoted him around 800euro pa!!!

Blood was boiling up inside me so rang them again and asked for a quote and told them why is that they quoted my mate and not me? I was transferred to a supervisor-told them the same story.

He tried to pull the high performance car on me but I reminded him that they quoted my friend for the very same model. Then after a short chat he told me that my driving experience is not sufficient since back home I was driving on the right hand side of the road and more likely to cause accident over here.

Needless to say I kindly said f*** off and hung up...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If Quinn wont do it, go to Britton insurance, they quote high powered cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Jagle wrote: »
    Ah, of course, my bad. But why would they quote a lower figure than if you tell them you are considering buying the car?

read again, i never mentioned a lower figure, the OP was refused a quote, which is illegal,

Umm, No its not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Agricola wrote: »
    The end result is the OP will surely get an absolutely ridiculous quote that he couldnt even contemplate buying.

How is that my quote was an extra 430euro for the rest of the year? (11 months remaining)
    The cars are blacklisted, it doesn't mean the quote is going to be ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If you can get 5 refusal letters, you can force a company to quote. You won't like the quote but it will be a quote.

Now the biggest job is getting the 5 refusal letters. Insurance companies are very reluctant to give these out for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

fitzgese wrote: »
    Having not looked for insurance for anything other than my 1.6 Primera for a couple of years, was very surprised when I rang Quinn to find out that they wouldn't even quote me on a 330Ci until I'm 30. Does this seem a tad excessive? (I'm 25) We're not even talking an M3 here.

I know there's somewhere I can get insurance from out there, but at the same time I thought Quinn used to be good at insuring the younger driver. Do they just not want to touch (relatively) high performance cars these days?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056263264&page=3

steve9859 wrote: »
    But the big payouts are when someone is killed or long term hospitalised, not just when there is a crash. Sure, old people might have more prangs, but if you have ever watched the news or read a paper you'll know that most of those who wrap their car around trees and kill their passengers are in their twenties

While I agree, it would be interesting to see % wise the amount of people that drive.

EG;
    There are 125,000 male drivers aged 21.
    There are 50,000 male drivers aged 50
    There are 30,000 women drivers aged 21.

So if the amount of people driving in one age bracket is higher then of course there are going to be more accidents in that bracket. While there would be less in another bracket, it's not really down to age in my eyes you got to have respect for the road.

This young driver bollix is that bollix. It's simple maths really, if I have 10 oranges in a bag and I add 4 apples into that bag the chances of me getting an orange are very high as I put more oranges in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

msg11 wrote: »
    But the big payouts are when someone is killed or long term hospitalised, not just when there is a crash. Sure, old people might have more prangs, but if you have ever watched the news or read a paper you'll know that most of those who wrap their car around trees and kill their passengers are in their twenties

While I agree, it would be interesting to see % wise the amount of people that drive.

EG;
    There are 125,000 male drivers aged 21.
    There are 50,000 male drivers aged 50
    There are 30,000 women drivers aged 21.

So if the amount of people driving in one age bracket is higher then of course there are going to be more accidents in that bracket. While there would be less in another bracket, it's not really down to age in my eyes you got to have respect for the road.

This young driver bollix is that bollix. It's simple maths really, if I have 10 oranges in a bag and I add 4 apples into that bag the chances of me getting an orange are very high as I put more oranges in the bag.

Age has everything to do with it. Not just statistically but personally. I first got my Civic and hammered it everywhere like a plank. 11 years later I now drive My Tractor of a Toyota with some common sense. I'm personally suprised I never caused an accident years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I remember Quinn quoting me €7,500 for insurance on a 325 when I was 27. Eventually got a good quote from Eagle Star. Dont know whether they are still in the Irish market though

what a joke, im 27, just got a 325ci and was quoted E417 for TPFT by 123.ie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I've had no problem getting either quotes or getting insured on a Supra, and I'm 23.

Just ring around, and you'll get an idea of whether you'll get insured or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

But young drivers have been proven more likely to be in an accident. That's a fact. I'm a young driver. I accept that people my age (moreso younger drivers than me) cause the biggest insurance claims. You can choose to ignore this, but the facts are the facts. Race or skin color have nothing to do with it...

What do you propose?
    We cant be judged on an individual basis. How do you decide who pays more/less?
    In a perfect world everyone would pay the same, but there are far more 'old' drivers who would end up paying more under a different system, so its not gonna happen...

I'm not picking arguments, insurance companies are businesses. Subject to business models. I hate them just as much as anyone else!!

Woah there, since when? And by who?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I thought everyone knew at this stage that Quinn have no interest in quoting anyone a good deal?

Woah there, since when? And by who?

Since always. By anybody who has ever studies road accident stats.

“In 2009, Among all car drivers, 17-24 year old male drivers were seven times more likely to be killed on the road"
    http://rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Crash%20Stats/2009_Road_Collision_Fact_Book.pdf

Numbers-wise there are many 25-34 year olds involved in accidents, but there are FAR more of them on the road than the younger drivers, hence the high risk tag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

Numbers-wise there are many 25-34 year olds involved in accidents, but there are FAR more of them on the road than the younger drivers, hence the high risk tag.

no if there are far more of them on the road, of course more are going to be involved in crashes, but that doesnt mean that they are more likely to cause crashes, its stats man..

if i had 100000000 18 year olds and 1000 70 year olds, guess whos gonna crash more

yes

There are more 25-34 year olds on the road
    there are more accidents involving 25-34 year olds

There are less 17-24 year olds driving, with less accidents (numerically), but far more accidents per driver.

It is stats man...

Interesting you compared older drivers with young, the second highest risk category is 65+, hence the difficulty with older drivers getting insurance too

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

First mistake...you're actually believing what the RSA says, which considering their ageist and sexist propaganda is like, can only be flawed logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Jagle wrote: »

Ah right so not knowing the rules of the road/ causing lots of small cashes is fine go right ahead drive on..

just dont kill anyone and costs us lots of money, sounds great.

Point is is that if black people AND I MEAN ALL BLACK PEOPLE were proven the worst drivers you wouldnt see their insurance go up would ya?

Its nonsense, we need to have a proper system that makes sense

Totally agree with you, you don't see cheaper medical insurance for young people when they are less likely to cost the insurer than older people. Why not have risk equalization for motor insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

If you can get 5 refusal letters, you can force a company to quote. You won't like the quote but it will be a quote.

Now the biggest job is getting the 5 refusal letters. Insurance companies are very reluctant to give these out for some reason.

They cannot refuse these letters, the financial regulator has set this out as part of it's Compliance/Consumer protection code.

In fact, if a company has to refuse a quote, the company is supposed to tell the customer that they can request said letter and they must also inform that they may refer the case to the 'Declined Cases Board' with the Irish Insurance Federation.

Very few companies, bar the one I work for, actually follow up on this....we're compliance freaks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

ABEasy wrote: »
    Totally agree with you, you don't see cheaper medical insurance for young people when they are less likely to cost the insurer than older people. Why not have risk equalization for motor insurance?

The difference is that we are all going to get old, and society owes a duty of care to the elderly (whether Ireland delivers on that duty is a subject for another thread!). Hence risk equalisation as part of the healthcare strategy.

But society does not have a duty to provide the funds for people in their twenties to drive fast cars. You have to decide how much horsepower you can afford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

The difference is that we are all going to get old, and society owes a duty of care to the elderly (whether Ireland delivers on that duty is a subject for another thread!). Hence risk equalisation as part of the healthcare strategy.

But society does not have a duty to provide the funds for people in their twenties to drive fast cars. You have to decide how much horsepower you can afford.

Yes we do all get old and most probably will be driving through to our 60's, why not equalise the cost of insurance over this term?? Society does provide the duty of care by way of the public health system which is free. Medical insurance is an optional insurance (if your sick you will get treated weather you have insurance or not) just like motor insurance for people who drive fast cars. And it's not just fast cars any young driver gets fcuked by the insurance companies. You don't see smokers getting loaded for medical insurance premiums!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Yes we do all get old and most probably will be driving through to our 60's, why not equalise the cost of insurance over this term??
    Some will, some won't be driving from age 17 to age 70, so equalisation means one group subsidising another.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Anan1 wrote: »
    Every insurance company has their own rules, and QD don't want to insure the OP on a BMW 330i until they're 30. I don't mean to sound smart, but I see nothing remarkable about that.

Family member used to work for Quinn insurance. If you tell them you own the car they must give you a quote.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Some will, some won't be driving from age 17 to age 70, so equalisation means one group subsidising another.

Then why don't they just say that. Sick of this young driver bull****. And if the government gave a **** which they don't they would sort out the roads and introduce a programme in secondary schools to do with driver induction. I am not talking taking up 5 years with this stuff, when they reach near the driving age 16/17 all pupils go threw a few classes on road safety and see a few dead bodies from crashes.

There is no point in beating around the bush with this , show people how mangled the human body gets in a crash and that will make people slow down.

This always stuck in my head. I know it's a dear but it could easily be a human or child.

http://static.texashuntfish.com/pics/2007/12/13/large/e21ef131-f337-4cd4-be06-7869d01e9d81.jpg

I like the German health care system. Health insurance is privatized but required by law and everyone regardless of age, sex, history etc. pays the exact same price for insurance. It works out cheaper all round, and the companies are guaranteed a fixed income so can plan things much better.

Would love to see a similar system here for car insurance. Guess I can always dream...:rolleyes:

@challengemaster The statistics come from the central statistics office, theres nothing to believe/not believe about it. Do accept what the central statistics office (not the RSA) say about accident rates? Or are you just going to brush that off too because you dont like facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭fitzgese

Greyfoot wrote: »
    Don`t wanna go off topic but i thought i share my story with QD.
    Around 3 yrs ago i was just under 30 and was thinking to get an evo or a dc2 so rang a few companies. Had 6+yrs no claim bonus, over 10yrs driving experience owned a couple of high performance cars before.

Now I rang QD and they flat out refused to quote me on the evo which i accepted knowing it was a high performance sport car.

I rang them a day later from my workplace and tried to get a quote on the dc2 and was told it is a high performance car cant insure me.

Now I suspected that there was a little racism involved since i am not irish so gave my phone to my mate who was irish with heavy skanger accent and all to try to insure the very same car with the same details i gave them and on top of that he was a year younger than me.

Guess what? Yo man happily quoted him around 800euro pa!!!

Blood was boiling up inside me so rang them again and asked for a quote and told them why is that they quoted my mate and not me? I was transferred to a supervisor-told them the same story.

He tried to pull the high performance car on me but I reminded him that they quoted my friend for the very same model. Then after a short chat he told me that my driving experience is not sufficient since back home I was driving on the right hand side of the road and more likely to cause accident over here.

Needless to say I kindly said f*** off and hung up...

That's shocking! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I like the German health care system. Health insurance is privatized but required by law and everyone regardless of age, sex, history etc. pays the exact same price for insurance. It works out cheaper all round, and the companies are guaranteed a fixed income so can plan things much better.

Would love to see a similar system here for car insurance. Guess I can always dream...:rolleyes:

But you driving a fast car is a luxury. health provision is a necessity. I am not sure that anyone should be forced through equalisation of premiums to facilitate your purchase of a luxury item, when you have other options (ie. a smaller car)

I know what you mean, but i'm not necessarily arguing just for fast cars, more for younger + older drivers paying scandalous prices for insurance.

I mean there are more factors to owning a luxury car than insurance prices. Someone who can afford a €50k car probably wont be too worried about paying insurance on it, while someone buying a €1500 car and not being able to afford insurance that costs more than the car itself is the person being screwed at the moment.

As you said driving is not a necessity, and thats true. You dont have to drive, but you have to be insured if you do. You have to tax your car. So by driving your already being forced into these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Seeing as how having insurance is a legal requirement, shouldn't insurance companies be legally required to provide it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

msg11 wrote: »
    This always stuck in my head. I know it's a dear but it could easily be a human or child.

http://static.texashuntfish.com/pics/2007/12/13/large/e21ef131-f337-4cd4-be06-7869d01e9d81.jpg

thats so horrifying, such a shame to see

that poor bmw :( i hope it was ok

Advertisement