Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭cosatron

He didn't own us in November...

your better than this RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

Crosby back on a 4yr 16 1 mil deal, seems good business for the best cold weather kicker in the league (too 5 in general)

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Goddamit - would have liked Dwayne Allen as TE at packers.... but he resigned with Colts - although i dont think i would have paid 30 mill over 4 years so he would have been too expensive for us in any case!

all over twitter last night with espn and nfl both reporting Packers after Forte & trading for Bennett!
    I'd be delighted with that! Although both are older - TE is a postion that needs addressing - and forte will be an upgrade on starks - if we manage by some miracle to get ragland for ilb and draft well around the board - resign Raji! Have to consider the team for a superbowl run!

Also resigned backup G Lane Taylor for 4 mill over 2 years with 600k guaranteed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

If they are going to Forte and Bennett then they are really gearing up for a run in the next 2 years, which will give the developing players a chance to do so solidly whilst hopefully on a winning Super Bowl team. I like the sound of it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

all over twitter last night with espn and nfl both reporting Packers after Forte & trading for Bennett!
    I'd be delighted with that! Although both are older - TE is a postion that needs addressing - and forte will be an upgrade on starks - if we manage by some miracle to get ragland for ilb and draft well around the board - resign Raji! Have to consider the team for a superbowl run!

Also resigned backup G Lane Taylor for 4 mill over 2 years with 600k guaranteed

Forte would be a good signing. Bennett is a fruit and nut case - he has two interests - himself and money. I think he could be de-stabilising dressing room wise. It tells you everything you need to know that the Bears have no back plan at TE and might end up releasing him.

Surprised they would go near Bennett. And it doesn't sound like that "crazy stuff when he was young" thing, more like he actually has a serious attitude issue.

i dunno tho.... with the likes of forte, peppers there - also having a lot of strong heads in green bay.... could be an ideal place

Bears have Zack Miller going free agent but gave him a year extension - gotta be looking at bringing him back! Looks like Fox is just clearing out older heads rather than getting rid of problems! Forte etc....

i dunno tho.... with the likes of forte, peppers there - also having a lot of strong heads in green bay.... could be an ideal place

Bears have Zack Miller going free agent but gave him a year extension - gotta be looking at bringing him back! Looks like Fox is just clearing out older heads rather than getting rid of problems! Forte etc....

Bennett's 28? Miller is 31!

Bennett's been in numerous fights with teammates in OTA's & training camp.

They are getting rid of problems for sure - see Brandon Marshall & Ratliff. Now Bennett - they've been lookin to move him on for ages. They are just trying to get a pick rather than release him.

As for strong heads - you could say that about any NFL roster, every team has a share of them. Doesn't seem to stop players getting into trouble or holding out over money.

Bennett will be grand for a season if you sign him - then he'll want more money and kick up. Exactly the same as his brother. Though Marty is more mental (see his tweets).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭cosatron

Don't torture yourself, nasty. We ain't doing nothing. I doubt ted is even in the office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

cosatron wrote: »
    Don't torture yourself, nasty. We ain't doing nothing. I doubt ted is even in the office

Was at the badgers pro day today

cosatron wrote: »

Nothing doing with Forte anyway, gone to Jets...

delighted to see Nick Perry resigned - 5mill plus incentives - 1 year deal
    very much a prove it deal - hope he continues his form that he had in the playoffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Tolzien gone to the Colts to back up Luck. He might get significant playing time there.

This means Hundley will back up Rodgers. Hopefully he'll get some game time in mop-up duty.

Draft a 3rd QB late?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Tolzien gone to the Colts to back up Luck. He might get significant playing time there.

This means Hundley will back up Rodgers. Hopefully he'll get some game time in mop-up duty.

Draft a 3rd QB late?

nah we'll just grab matt flynn when needed lol

Looks like Casey Hayward might be outta here:

https://twitter.com/sdutGehlken/status/709104799514382336

15 million odd for 3 years, gone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'm gutted, for some reason I just love Raji. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

And there goes half the mocks to date. :D

A bit of a stinger, but a good year for it to happen in - defensive line, DT especially, is very deep this year by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I'm gutted, for some reason I just love Raji. :(

Yes,was a stud at NT,maybe that's why Letroy Guion got such a good deal.

Strange but laudable decision.

the draft is loaded with DT talent - i still wouldnt go away from the need of ILB - and if ragland falls to our pick call it in asap!

Sure Raji is a loss and i myself have always liked him - but packers havent trusted him with injuries which is why they only kept giving him 1 year deals the last couple of years! Hope Guion steps up a bit and take a DT in the second or 3rd and we will be all good! Its not like there gonna sign a free agent dt but i suppose tt thinks we dont need to

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Sorry to see Raji go.

tumblr_lxez861KvI1qzblq6o3_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

How do you feel about seeing Hayward go guys? all I'm hearing is he can play nickel and slot only and is not see as an outside corner. In SD we're praying Flowers can man one of the outside spots with Verrett on the other side and so have Hayward play inside.

Hayward was our best corner last year - good solid consitant player - only reason he didnt get paid is cos we took 2 corners in the first 2 rounds last year! Chargers will have a nice trio with Flowers and Verrett.... Hayward is more effective in the slot!

Gotta say seeing Bennett going to the patriots for a 4th rounder - and 5 mill against the cap - it hurt a little bit!

Whilst i know that bennett has his issues and there all well documented - the only player that packers were looking at was Jared Cook - and compared to Bennett - just seems very underwhelming!

Im all for drafting right - and protecting the salary cap - but we have got approx 25-30 mill to spend this season - thats with Peppers counting 11 mill against the cap that wont be there next year - or at least on a much lesser contract - why not spend some of it! I know the likes of Sitton and Lang are in a contract year but they have good salaries - like both are paid top 5-7 in their position so that spend is already showing up on the cap - Lacy and Bakhtari are both up for renewal too and whilst they could be big contracts the cap itself should go up by another 10 mill next year!

Putting this in perspective - keeping our best players to new contracts - we would still have 20-30 mill in cap space next season - so even looking down the line we should be at least a little more active in free agency.... we have the numbers there - im not talking about giving coby fleener 7 mill a year - but ladarius green at 5 mill over 4 years with only approx 5 mill guaranteed... gotta be seen as an option!

I know its TT's way.... but surely the odd player in a need position - even Jarrell Freeman would have upgraded us at lb at 4 mill a year!

I agree nasty - Ted Thompson has definitely got some Arsene Wenger about him if you know what I mean. One superbowl while Aaron Rodgers is QB is heading towards an underachievement.

I think TT gets too much credit at times for his philosophy. I think people view it through a quite rose tinted prism at times. What I mean is, they have the QB to win championships - no question. He's the best in the NFL. They have a core group of impressive homegrown players too. That is a vital part of building a winner - Sitton, Matthews, Daniels, Nelson.

However, they just keep falling short (like Wenger and Arsenal) Just give the team the push. Be a bit more aggressive. Trade away some picks or make some signings and go all out to find that one or two premier pieces and put yourself over the top. I feel like they dip their toe in the water every now and then (Woodson, Peppers) but never quite go all out in the way that Seattle has in getting Avril/Bennett/Graham - granted the Graham trade hasn't really worked out but they are bold.

Imagine if they Packers getting to the divisional/championship round and keep falling that bit short. I think it has to fall on Thompson if that ends up as Rodgers' legacy. Granted, there's time on that front. But I do think that you can find a middle ground the way the Seattle has (you could argue Wilson's contract has been a big factor for them though) or Denver have.

Teams should be judicious with their willingness to hand over mid-rounders or spend in FA but equally it is ok if you're a small distance from the top.

Overall the philosophy is right and one I'm happy to see my Bears seem to be trying to follow (lets see if they can draft and develop players effectively) but TT needs to be aggressive while they have Rodgers as QB. Either that or he needs to hit on superstars in the draft! (hard to do when drafting so late in 1st & 2nd rounds).

The fact that mccarthy said that we should probably address some free agents and said to be more aggresive and for TT not even be in the office on the first day of free agency is a bit of a slap in the face for him.

If for some reason McCarthy got the sack for underachieving i do think that TT would have every bit as much a fault in it! Sure the books look great and there are lots of franchises that would like our squad. But when you see cardinals picking up jones and patriots picking up bennett - be them good or bad picks there is still a win now intent that Packers should be doing! There is a core of players thats as good as any team and you only have so long to achieve winning a superbowl - with Rodgers, Lang, Sitton, Nelson, Matthews, Peppers, all ageing - and considering that Raji retired at 30 - the time is now - and we should be more agressive - if even just a little bit!

I would have taken Kiko Alonso for a 6 or 7th round pick for crying out loud - im not asking for much!! haha

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Havent heard news on Cook, but he's awful, he left the titans for a hefty deal with the rams and was pretty terrible, i wouldnt like to see you guys waste any money on him

Advertisement