Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it absolutely vital for a dogs wellbeing they sleep indoors

Options
  • 03-08-2011 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭

Hi all....posted here a while back looking for advice on what breed of dog to choose, where to source a dog........and got some very helpful responses so thought I would come back looking for peoples opinions (negative or positive) on the below

decided would try to rescue a dog from the pound if a suitable one came up as one of the best dogs I've ever had before came from a pound ( springer spaniel - rescued about 18 yrs ago now, sadly died about 5 yrs ago...wish he could have lived forever)

so I've done the rounds of a lot of the pounds/rescue/rehoming centres and a filled out application/request forms etc

nothing as yet but I've noticed a similar question coming up in a lot of the forms, namely

Do you intend to let the dog sleep indoors or outside in a kennel/outhouse etc

My answer has always been truthful....the dog will sleep in a kennel/outbuilding (like every dog I have ever owned)

a couple of days ago I got a call from a pound (that shall remain nameless)....and the lady there just flat out stated something along the lines of its not there policy to rehome dogs to owners that don't let them sleep in the house :confused:

while I can see why this is a good idea in some cases and for for some dogs it seems strange to me to apply this as a blanket requirement for a number of (maybe not good reasons but that's why I'm looking for opinions)

1) the last dog I had was rescued.....he never slept in the house...but that did not mean he was not a very happy dog (I suppose you will have to take my word for this but as god is my witness it is true)

...seems to me there is a possibility this blanket policy may mean some dog who could have had what I would consider at least to be a good home provided by myself may now be put down

2) Not every dog in the country sleeps inside the house presumably some dogs coming in for rehoming dont mind sleeping in a kennel/outbuilding...are not conditioned to sleeping in the home.

3) A number of people I know let their dog sleep in the kitchen (unheated) - how is this superior to sleeping in an outbuilding/kennel?....its not as if the owner is sleeping with them in the kitchen.

at a time when there are supposedly so many dogs been destroyed for want of a good home is it silly to apply this as a blanket rule

dog would be well minded, well fed and never short of stimulation/activity with me...(I live down the country...my last dog got long walks every day + played with myself and my parents daily [retrieving tennis balls etc] + accompanied me when I worked outside)

I can see the need for these procedures by the way (the last time I got a dog from a pound the only requirement was that I had to get a dog license) I know they are there to protect the dog, I just think the sleeping inside one may be ill considered to apply as a blanket rule and can see a situation where possibly less suitable owners may rehome a dog simply because they say they will allow the dog to sleep indoors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Generally speaking: -

Summer: Outside in insulated kennel
    Winter: Inside in a spare bedroom

My dogs prefer to be outside in summer, they don't settle inside (panting & pacing etc.), with the exception of my Chihuahua who sleeps in her crate in the kitchen year round, again her choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Amacca

No i dont think its imperative that a dog must sleep indoors, it really depends on the dog and breed.... for me personally all of my dogs have been indoor dogs, and more than likely in the future this wont change either... for me my dog is very much part of the family, he is involved in almost everything we do (apart from work etc)... so for me outting him outside would be like an exclusion.

Is there a reason why you wont allow a dog to sleep inside? will the dog be allowed in the house during other periods?

I think rescues dont like placing dogs in outdoor situations as mot of these dogs have been abused in some frorm or other and they desperatelt need a family and to feel secure etc... by having the dog sleeping inside can help this process.... alot of these dogs were probably dumped in the back garden for hours on end alone... so ensuring they will be allowed to sleep indorrs tries to eliminate this from happening again... IMO

Best of luck...

have you tried searching on donedeal for people who are looking to rehome thier pets (not to purchase one) or how about on here boards do a rehomeing thread too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

Hey the winters we have been having are horrific. I dont think it is humane to leave a dog outdoors in winter time.
    I have a somoyed husky and he has two thick coats in winter but i still kepp him in. He has his bed in the utility room. on a fine night in summer i might leave him out with the shed open.
    I cant see a reason to leave a dog outside its its very cold, and icy out. pack dogs huddle together to keep warm. but if you have one dog the cold might actually shorten the dogs life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭amacca

cocker5 wrote: »
    Is there a reason why you wont allow a dog to sleep inside? will the dog be allowed in the house during other periods?

my semi-elderly mum doesn't like having dogs indoors (despite liking dogs) ...much of the reason is probably that doggy smell + shedding hair etc.....she just cant come to terms with it and probably never will and I respect that.

I suppose the dog would very rarely come indoors..................then again I'm very rarely indoors myself during the day (my father the same and mum spends a lot of time outside too, gardening/pottering etc)................dog definitely wouldnt be short of human contact/interaction during the day.

If I personally thought not being allowed into the house had a particularly negative effect on any dog I've ever owned I suppose I wouldn't be looking for one.

it never bothered the last dog at all....he would pop his head in the door to look at what was going on and then go off....remember him sneaking food of my dad occasionally who used to feed him scraps....never met a happier dog....didn't want to be inside unless there was food on offer..just got used to not coming inside.

tks for your suggestions I will look at adverts.ie for rehoming ads

Hey the winters we have been having are horrific. I dont think it is humane to leave a dog outdoors in winter time.
    I have a somoyed husky and he has two thick coats in winter but i still kepp him in. He has his bed in the utility room. on a fine night in summer i might leave him out with the shed open.
    I cant see a reason to leave a dog outside its its very cold, and icy out. pack dogs huddle together to keep warm. but if you have one dog the cold might actually shorten the dogs life.

tks -...but just to clarify I just mean not sleeping in the house itself...

I don't mean sleeping under the stars.... dog would be in an outbuilding (garage or barn probably with bedding/water, roof over its head etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I think the indoor/outdoor thing should really depend on the dog, breed, personality, background. If a dog has always slept outside then it may be hard for them to adjust. I would prefer for all dogs to be indoors, even if that means that they are confined to a particular area,at least they are safer. (how many dogs are being stolen lately:()

But with the winters that we have been having, all dogs should be indoors at that time. Its not worth taking the risk leaving them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If the dog is never going to be indoors then how much company/interaction will it have on a daily basis apart from walks?
    Dogs should be a part of the family and i dont think a dog should be kept outdoors all the time.
    Mine sleep indoors and are rarely outside unless they want to go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Sassy58

How much time are you going to spend with the dog on a one to one - its well and good saying people potter around the garden etc but dogs are very much pack animals and most love being part of it. What happens on days you have to work late or when you are going out after work.

Personally speaking I think to leave a dog outside while you are inside watching telly etc is just isolating a dog and as for saying dogs seem happy with this - lets be honest they are not really getting a say in it I am sure if they did most dogs would much prefer to be in the house.

For me personally I couldn't leave my dogs out the back, its a personal decision and one I made the first day I decided to take on the responsibility of owning a dog - dogs bark at night fact be it from a cat walking along your wall or from sounds they hear and I certainly don't want to fall out with my neighbours over dogs I decided to take on.

We use to leave the dogs out during the day when we were in work and then from when we got home they were in the house till we went to work the next morning. Now they are in the house all the time even when we are at work - they love nothing more then using a cat as a pillow :D

andreac wrote: »
    If the dog is never going to be indoors then how much company/interaction will it have on a daily basis apart from walks?

I run a farm so he would be very much keeping me company during the day.

I really dont spend that much time in the house during the day...I'm coming and going on a daily basis pretty much all day...fixing fences...herding cattle...mending pipe...feeding animals...it really never ends (trust me) but dont want a working dog just a companion - last guy I had loved his life (at leas imo - never stopped wagging his tail)

however I suppose it would be unrealistic to say I'm with the dog all day every day......but one of us probably would.

my dad used to talk to our previous dog!.......dog definitely wouldnt want for interaction/stimulation/exercise

but just to clarify again...dog wouldnt be sleeping outdoors at night..just not inside the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

I run a farm
    sounds like a good life for a dog.
    just make sure the outbuilding has lots of hay and is warm .
    can i ask how is the dog kept on the land? you wouldnt be tying him up?

• Advertisement

Sassy58 wrote: »
    How much time are you going to spend with the dog on a one to one - its well and good saying people potter around the garden etc but dogs are very much pack animals and most love being part of it. What happens on days you have to work late or when you are going out after work.

well yeah I wont be bringing him with me on social occasions ..when I go to the pub etc but I think I have the advantage over a lot of people when you consider the dog can go to my work and its not far off his natural environment........my previous lad wend everywhere with me and used to flush out birds (pheasants/wood pigeons etc) into my path...+ there really is always something to do around the place everyday so the action is outside a lot of the time during the day

Sassy58 wrote: »
    For me personally I couldn't leave my dogs out the back, its a personal decision and one I made the first day I decided to take on the responsibility of owning a dog - dogs bark at night fact be it from a cat walking along your wall or from sounds they hear and I certainly don't want to fall out with my neighbours over dogs I decided to take on.

ours only barked if a stranger called.....annoying the neighbours in that way not so much of a problem if you live down the country where nearest neigbour is half a km up the road........plenty of other ways to annoy them though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭carleigh

My Golden Cocker sleeps indoors, he has the run of the house most of the time! When I got him, I had him sleeping in the garage (attached to house), I got a nice kennel made for him, and he was happy enough there for a almost a year. But he kept getting colds/sniffles etc, so the vet recommended we move him into the house altogether. So he has 2 little dog beds, one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom. I feel much safer with him in the house, not that he is much of a guard dog!

I suppose the dog would very rarely come indoors..................then again I'm very rarely indoors myself during the day (my father the same and mum spends a lot of time outside too, gardening/pottering etc)................dog definitely wouldnt be short of human contact/interaction during the day.

to be honest.... walking a dog is great etc.... but dogs need company... not just excercise... they are pack animals.... i dont see the point ij havinga dog if its NEVER allowed in doors... sure then that mean just having a dog to keep you company when your outdoors... what about company for your dog when ur indoors?? :eek:

IMO dogs should be part of the family.... not outdoors 24/7 .... yes some dogs like lseeping outdoors but having the PURELY as an outdoor dog not this i dont agree with...

there nothing nicer than seeing your dog curl up infront of the fire with his fav treat on a winters night.... or in my dogs case... he tries to sit IN the fire with his fav teddy (yes he is a wuss) :D

sorry OP but i dont see the point of having a dog and leaving it outside 24/7.... the only time i think its ok for a dog to sleep outside etc is if the breed / dog prefer it AND if the dog will be allowed inside to interact at other times.... not outside 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

andreac wrote: »
    Dogs should be apart of the family and i dont think a dog should be kept outdoors all the time.
    Mine sleep indoors and are rarely outside unless they want to go out.
    a lot of people do not realise,that dogs are pack animals and need the company of people or other dogs, most pedigree dogs are not ment to be kept outdoors in our cold winters, but if you have to,have a heated kennel

sounds like a good life for a dog.
    just make sure the outbuilding has lots of hay and is warm .
    can i ask how is the dog kept on the land? you wouldnt be tying him up?

only ever had to do that once with one collie we had when I was a child.[a very long time ago].....(dog was probably badly bred and had a truly vicious/sly streak in him - he bit me once)...were afraid he would bite someone etc even then it was towards the end of his stay with us and not all day every day by any means

have had many retriever type dogs since and have never ever tied them up...they roam free around the land in the garden etc during daytime usually in fact nearly always accompanying one of us...their personality seems to suit the role I am looking for...have not had problems with chasing sheep etc

/loyal/placid/intelligent/like to play etc...golden retriever or springer seems to suit ...good for the owner and the dog

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Personally for me my dogs are and always will be indoor dogs however it looks like you're pretty set on the dog sleeping/living outdoors and there are dogs out there that this life would suit as long as you're prepared to offer somewher for the dog to stay that is secure, dry, draftproofed and warm.

To me it sounds like this dog will probably get a lot more human company than one belonging to somebody that worked in lets say an office and was out of the house for 10hrs a day and slept for 8hrs a night leaving 6hrs where the dog may get a couple of walks and spend a few hours curled up on the couch of an evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭VenusPlays

OP a lot of the smaller rescues rather than pounds will accept allowing a dog to sleep outside, particularly if the dog being rehomed is used to that situation. But generally that is on a case by case basis and you might have to further explain to them your lifestyle and reasoning and where the dog will be housed.

One of the reasons that rescues ask for a dog to be kept indoor at night is because of the sheer amount of dogs surrendered to pounds for nothing more than barking at night and disturbing the neighbours. By asking for your dog to be kept indoors, they are trying to ensure that the poor dog isn't back in the same situation again a couple of months down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

getz wrote: »
    a lot of people do not realise,that dogs are pack animals and need the company of people or other dogs, most pedigree dogs are not ment to be kept outdoors in our cold winters, but if you have to,have a heated kennel

Why have you specified pedigree dogs? Surely it applies to all dogs?

OP, I have northern breeds, and they would be happy enough sleeping outside - I don't think that anyone here means sleeping outside without shelter when they talk about sleeping outside, they mean not in the house, but with a kennel, shed etc. However, my dogs sleep in the house, they have a dog flap so sometimes they'll take themselves off out, usually in the middle of winter when its raining and wind is howling, they seem to like sleeping outside with no protection, just curled up like proper sled dogs with their noses tucked under their tails - weird creatures:rolleyes:

IMO dogs should be part of the family.... not outdoors 24/7 .... yes some dogs like lseeping outdoors but having the PURELY as an outdoor dog not this i dont agree with...

thats cool I suppose...I'm not sure I agree with you given how happy my previous dog appeared to be living under exactly those conditions (slept alone) but I do value peoples opinions
    there nothing nicer than seeing your dog curl up infront of the fire with his fav treat on a winters night.... or in my dogs case... he tries to sit IN the fire with his fav teddy (yes he is a wuss) :D

on a completely unrelated note..........................if its an open fire make sure you have a fire guard up when the dog is in front of it, my dad still tells a story about the elderly family cat they had when he was a child sleeping in front of the fire. (in his old family home)...............a cinder/ember popped out and hit the cat in the stomach...had burned into the stomach before the cat reacted...the cat died but suffered a lot beforehand (they were not sure what to do immediately- 1940s/50s)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

If the dog was kept in a warm, draft free location with a decent straw bed I'd see no problem. There is certain types of dogs that life suits and some love it, find a dog that's suited to a life on the farm and there's nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

getz wrote: »

Not sure if that was aimed at me or not??:confused: Mine arent kept outdoors.

My dogs are indoors nearly all of the time, they are rarely outdoors. In the evening the back door is left open if they want to go in and out but mostly they are in the house or beside me in the sitting room if im chilling out.

VenusPlays wrote: »
    One of the reasons that rescues ask for a dog to be kept indoor at night is because of the sheer amount of dogs surrendered to pounds for nothing more than barking at night and disturbing the neighbours. By asking for your dog to be kept indoors, they are trying to ensure that the poor dog isn't back in the same situation again a couple of months down the line.

tks I didnt realise this was one of the reasons..I can certainly see the logic behind the requirement for that and other reasons

maybe if I explain myself more clearly as other poster has said + look into other smaller shelters etc

(the lady I spoke to brooked no compromise however)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I know you said you don't want to name the rescue/s you've tried but are they council run pounds or privately run shelters? Most council run pounds, I think even the ones that have rescues working with them, have no requirements or homechecks before adopting a dog, you just pick a dog, pay the release fee, buy a licence and bobs your dog's uncle.

If you don't want to go down that route just keep trying different rescues, some are more flexable than others. Surely there are dogs in rescues that have come from a farm and are used to sleeping outdoors, some even who just do not cope with being inside a house, how they could turn you down for a dog like that would be a bit odd.

As for the outside debate, personally I'd never keep a dog outside as a rule as I'm not outside enough myself so the dog would be outside on it's own too much. But in saying that if I was outside during the day all day it would be unfair to keep the dog isolated indoors. Although my dog is currently outside belly up sunbathing on the patio and quite happy. :D

As for sleeping outside, during the winter you should put a thermometer that will record the min/max temperature where the dog will sleep, if it dips too low then sleeping arrangments would need to be rethought either the dog brought inside somewhere warmer or some form of heating put outside in the kennel.

on a completely unrelated note..........................if its an open fire make sure you have a fire guard up when the dog is in front of it, my dad still tells a story about the elderly family cat they had when he was a child sleeping in front of the fire. (in his old family home)...............a cinder/ember popped out and hit the cat in the stomach...had burned into the stomach before the cat reacted...the cat died but suffered a lot beforehand (they were not sure what to do immediately- 1940s/50s)[/QUOTE]

OP... of course i have a fire guard ... otherwise he would actually sit in on top of the fire :D... its as much to stop anything spitting out as it is to keep him out of the fire...thanks for the advice though...

Anway im sure you treat dogs well etc... i just feel living outside 24/7 for a dog , a pack animal, who need and thrive on company can be a very lonely existence....

for me though i just see my dog as one of the family.. and he sleeps alone too... down stairs in my kitchen etc... i just dont feel he would be happy as on outdoor dog, he is very much a family dog, and needs compnay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Little_Focker

You know I think its slighty ironic that some rescues have this policy of only sleeping inside, when the majority are in outside kennels while they are at the rescue :confused:

I definatly believe there is a dog out there that would be suited for you OP, I have volunteered at rescues before and some have dogs that are just accustomed to being outside. I wouldnt be entirely happy with the fact that the dog wont be allowed in the house AT ALL even for a few mins during the day but in fairness you could do a lot worse to the dog. Mine are big dogs and they are outside at night, and by outside I mean just not in the house, they have a large run off the garage so they are sleeping INSIDE in the garage which is well insulated and they will soon be getting themselves a radiator for this winter :o. Had them inside last winter though as it was too cold but honestly they were very agitated every morning looking to get out! Back door is left open when we are here and they come and go, prefer to be out mucking about in the garden. At the moment though they are on the couches snoring beside me as I type :D Sometimes I will look out and they will be in their run lying down sunning themselves.

A friend of mine has a large dog and he hates to be inside, gets very agitated, bloating etc and goes and paws at the door to get out after a few mins. He will then go out and if its fine will just lie on the lawn or go into his kennel. He gets plenty of company all day every day so maybe thats why - he just seems to like a bit of "me" time to himself lol Wouldnt it be cruel to keep a dog like that inside that clearly wants to be out?

Best of luck in your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, the old fella I had was out doors all the time, slept in the stables with the horses, but that was because he went into a blind panic if closed in the house and couldn't get out. Even with his warm sleeping arrangements in the hay the winters were extremely hard on him, he was also attacked by two dogs that got into the garden which basicly left him in the vets for 2 whole months. I would never take on a dog again that had to kept out doors tbh. Two of my neighbours have reported that they've had their dogs stolen from their garden in recent weeks nothing particularly special about either of these dogs, they were a young lab and a gsd pup so I can certainly see why rescues have this requirement. You have also said that you intend to let the dog roam freely around your property, is it securely enough enclosed that s/he won't be able to wander off your property? This is another point rescues will insist on and actually is just part and parcel of responsible dog ownership, you are actually legally required to make sure your dog doesn't stray off your property under the control of dogs act. There will always be a few dogs that are better suited to outdoor than indoor living but in the vast majority of cases imho it is much better to have dogs safely locked inside the house, especially during the night out of harms way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

OP - I'm married to a farmer so I know what you mean when you say you are always outside and always around the farm doing something, up the field 'fencing' or doing something with cattle (as it were), I would also imagine your parents are like my in-laws in that they don't think animals (including dogs and cats) belong in the house. I don't see anything wrong with you having a dog in your family, my only worry for dogs sleeping outside in general is the harsh winters we now seem to be having, I would seriously consider keeping the dog inside when we have weather like last winter, maybe get a crate for the dog to sleep in, in the kitchen, then leave the crate out in the shed or wherever during the day, that way you would avoid the 'doggy smell'. I agree with you that a life on the farm would be a lot better than life in the kennels for most dog, it's simply a matter of getting the right dog for you

I don't know whereabouts in the country you are but I highly recommend looking at the MADRA website www.madra.ie and contacting them, they are in Connemara but rehome all over the country and do not have a 'black & white' rehoming policy, ie dog sleeps outside? Sorry we can't help you, they will rehome a dog to you if they have one that would suit your lifestyle.

Best of luck

Zapperzy wrote: »
    I know you said you don't want to name the rescue/s you've tried but are they council run pounds or privately run shelters? Most council run pounds, I think even the ones that have rescues working with them, have no requirements or homechecks before adopting a dog, you just pick a dog, pay the release fee, buy a licence and bobs your dog's uncle.

it actually is a council pound afaik...I'm wondering if theres more to it however for the one in particular I'm talking about (wont name it..dont believe that is fair)...

I live about 60km from the pound in question (thought I'd cast as wide a nety as possible) and I know they have a home visit before and afterwards requirement...I'm wondering if they dont want to have to travel the distance to do these visits but cant waive the visits...would cost them a lot to be travelling this distance....(have went to local ones as well btw)

You have also said that you intend to let the dog roam freely around your property, is it securely enough enclosed that s/he won't be able to wander off your property?

truthfully..its not enclosed at all in that way...were talking acres and acres here, wouldnt be feasible to put dog proof fencing around it and seems insane to make a small run for him when he could have the run of the place himself

now I know all dogs wont be the same but with the previous lad....his territory was the boundaries of our plot of land at the home place...I would regularly walk these (for upkeep of fences but at the start for him) and he would mark this as his territory by urinating on the ditch every couple of minutes.....he generally seemed to stick to that range.....but an eye was always kept on him

roam in the sense there was a lot of ground for him to cover...not roam in the sense he was off for hours/days on his own unsupervised on somebody elses property

I hasten to add this was not an absolute..but a general rule of thumb...there were of course times he would go through ditch etc into a neighbours field investigating a smell etc...but he didnt wander after bitches...worry sheep, go into other peoples property looking for food etc

This is another point rescues will insist on and actually is just part and parcel of responsible dog ownership, you are actually legally required to make sure your dog doesn't stray off your property under the control of dogs act. There will always be a few dogs that are better suited to outdoor than indoor living but in the vast majority of cases imho it is much better to have dogs safely locked inside the house, especially during the night out of harms way.

previous dog was not free to wander during the night...nor will this one be......dont want him to join a pack...start worrying sheep etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

No, it would be my opinion that it is definitely not vital for a dog's well being to sleep indoors.

There is no harm for a dog to sleep outside, years ago there wasn't half as many dogs allowed sleep in houses as there is now.

I think a dog should be outside as much as possible, as outside is an animal's natural environment.

Advertisement