Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticket to beat Obama

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Denerick wrote: »
    In short the Republicans are too nutty and Americans, even though they seem incapable of making rational political decisions, have not abandoned all forms of self preservation.

hurrr durrr universal healthcare... hurr durr rights for gay people herp derp, wont really work anymore because people are really tired of the establishment, when people voted for obama they expected miracles, he didnt deliver.

one could also argue universal healthcare isnt rational, for leftists rational is alot different than it is for us on the right.

also dont forget. there have been one term presidents before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

hurrr durrr universal healthcare... hurr durr rights for gay people herp derp, wont really work anymore because people are really tired of the establishment, when people voted for obama they expected miracles, he didnt deliver.

one could also argue universal healthcare isnt rational, for leftists rational is alot different than it is for us on the right.

also dont forget. there have been one term presidents before.

Please correct your usage of your terms; I am not a 'leftist', in Europe I'd be considered a free market liberal, just because the US is so insanely corporatist that it fiercely protects his billionaire class beyond all level of reason or justice does not make me 'leftist'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

sarumite wrote: »
    I will have to concede this point since I was never at a tea party meeting , I wasn't even aware they existed until shortly after Obama was elected and they started to hold rallies.

That's because they didn't exist until after Obama was elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Please correct your usage of your terms; I am not a 'leftist', in Europe I'd be considered a free market liberal, just because the US is so insanely corporatist that it fiercely protects his billionaire class beyond all level of reason or justice does not make me 'leftist'.
    this is the US politics forum, I was using the US political spectrum, and billionaires are people too, why should they have to care so much about alcoholics who need liver transplants because they drink too much? or pay un employment benifits for some guy who is broke because his hedge fund manager made "a few mistakes"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

this is the US politics forum, I was using the US political spectrum, and billionaires are people too, why should they have to care so much about alcoholics who need liver transplants because they drink too much? or pay un employment benifits for some guy who is broke because his hedge fund manager made "a few mistakes"

Why do people always have to take the fringe examples when making a point. I can't imagine many alcoholics are given liver transplants if they are still drinking, but I know people born with cystics fibrosis are given lung transplans. If we could even start by just having billionaires pay the same proportion of their income in taxes as everyone else, that would nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Obama will win the election, and so handily I'd wager. All this talk of jobs, the economy etc. etc. Elections in the US are not win like that. A combination of money (Obama can outraise any Republican beast, though far right attack adds will be a miserable sight in 2012) and aspiration wins elections. The US far right aspire to a society that is so hopelessly over-run with class conflict, injustice, and stagnation that any half sensible American will thoroughly reject them. Elections are won on the margins, Obama will win with a majority of 51 or 52%. That is all it takes. In short the Republicans are too nutty and Americans, even though they seem incapable of making rational political decisions, have not abandoned all forms of self preservation.

i agree that obama will be better at raising money , wall st ( who have so benefited from obama ) will rally behind him , middle america is finished , both partys are puppetts of the likes of goldman sachs

• Registered Users Posts: 81,995 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

why should they have to care so much about alcoholics who need liver transplants because they drink too much?
    Thats a bit of an interesting example. But if it smells like fish and it's a bit pinkish..

Why that particular imagery? Liver transplants for alcoholics ey? Does that happen? I was pretty sure not. Not even in Ireland, one of the most (sorry) Alcohol-centric cultures in the world.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055661939

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/viewpoint/viewpoint-is-gareth-anderson-a-suitable-case-for-a-liver-transplant-14467028.html

I mean sure if you have some examples let's see them, otherwise I think you're just imagining scenarios that don't factually happen.

By the way on the fate of Gareth Anderson, I don't think it worked out well for him. I'm pretty sure there would have been more of an uproar about it.

Advertisement