Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticket to beat Obama

Options
  • 03-08-2011 4:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭

I'm going out there and saying it:
    Obama is extremely vulnerable and has been constantly undermined and is the most likely pres in a long time to last 1 term.

But who can beat him? Polls have showed Romney winning, Paul runs him close and Bachmann runs him close in places she campaigned. Palin is a dead duck if she runs. Perry has a good shot, as does Giuliani. Pawlenty is useless but there is nothing massively wrong with him so if things get very bad inflation-wise he can win. Ditto for Santorum. Hunstman will never be nominated and as much as I hate to say it as long as he describes himself as a social liberal Gary Johnson can't. What is the best president/vice president ticket to beat Obama?

Candidate must be a republican, vice president can be anyone American but don't name random celebrities as veep possibilities.

Good token tea partyers for the ticket:
    John Thune (unopposed in the last election, from the mountain west, lean tea party)
    Marco Rubio (Good for the latino vote, outspoken on bush tax cuts)

Romney/Rubio would be a good ticket to help get competitive northeastern states for republicans as well as Florida, Romney leads Obama in Pennsylvania and Florida is in the bag with Rubio on the ticket.

I have a wildcard pick: Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich. These 2 are great friends, often the only 2 opposing foreign policy bills, both constitutionalists wanting to abolish the federal reserve and in 2008 they talked about running alongside one another. This ticket would be practically unbeatable I believe. Ron Paul is very popular with the tea party, Kucinich would win the liberals dissatisfied with Obama vote and the anti-Obama conservative vote is going to any republican, regardless of who is on the ticket.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well just remember, Bush shouldn't have been President. Twice. And I'm increasingly more convinced the outcome was stolen both times.

CT aside it will very much depend on the field of Candidates but it's weak right now. Giuliani?! lol, no :p

I don't know enough about Kucinich, and neither do the voters. Ron Paul is at the mercy of the media. If he can somehow get the media to work for him for a change rather than against, he has a shot. But I still wish he'd run Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Obama is very weak at the moment he needs to pull something big out of the bag before the next election but the republicans just don't have anyone to beat him at the moment. All their candidates seem insane. Bachman is nuts. Ron Paul has zero chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

It is quite simple: it's all about the economy and jobs.

Obama must turn the economy around to have any hope at re-election. Even the slightest hint of a double-dip will doom him.

Also, the Republican strategists and contenders are just playing this one brilliant. Kudos to their handlers and any young people out there should learn from this move.

Lessons learned from the last election include: getting into the race to early, spending a lot of money, and becoming a target for an extended period of time.

Right now, no serious candidate should try and emerge. There's so much bad press out there, why would any challenger want to stop that? Why would someone like Christie want to jump in and pay for good press when the bad press comes free?

Remember how silent the Reps were during Wienergate? Same play. Don't say anything when your opponent is making themselves look bad.

Right now it is looking terrible for Obama. He has failed those independents largely responsible for getting him elected. I wonder how many of them still relying on extending unemployment may vote different next time.

Obviously, he's not gaining support on the right! But is he holding the left?

His left support is angry with: the continuation of wars, escalation of something war-ish in Libya, failure to end Bush's tax cut for the wealthy, faltering economy, weakening dollar, massive foreclosures, sinking housing market, and unemployment at 16%, if you count unemployment the EU way.

If the DOW does anything in the next few months like it did after TARP, Obama's chances of re-election will be in serious jeopardy.

There are so many opportunities for Obama to demonstrate that he is more than a speaker, but a leader. He is just not doing so.

He had better start leading, or someone else will.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

20Cent wrote: »
    Obama is very weak at the moment he needs to pull something big out of the bag before the next election but the republicans just don't have anyone to beat him at the moment. All their candidates seem insane. Bachman is nuts. Ron Paul has zero chance.

Bachmann has more integrity than most in congress and despite her gaffes, as a general rule you don't get into a position of as much power as she has while being nuts. She is a frontrunner. Ron Paul has a great chance if he can win the Iowa straw poll, even 10% in Iowa would be enough to springboard him into being a frontrunner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Gu911ani hasn't a hope, the right wing despise him as much as the left.

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    Bachmann has more integrity than most in congress and despite her gaffes, as a general rule you don't get into a position of as much power as she has while being nuts. She is a frontrunner. Ron Paul has a great chance if he can win the Iowa straw poll, even 10% in Iowa would be enough to springboard him into being a frontrunner.

She plays to a very certain kind of American, the center will run away from her extremist views.

There's literally hours of tape of her opening her mouth and saying absolutely ridiculous things. unelectable.

RichieC wrote: »
    She plays to a very certain kind of American, the center will run away from her extremist views.

There's literally hours of tape of her opening her mouth and saying absolutely ridiculous things. unelectable.

We also have Obama with his "57 states" gaffe and teleprompter mishaps.

We also have Obama with his "57 states" gaffe and teleprompter mishaps.

Christ... there's a difference between a gaff and voicing incredibly ignorant and hateful views.

if you can't distinguish the difference let me know so I can pop you on ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Prediction for Republican ticket: Perry/Rubio

Prediction for 2012 campaign: Texas's economy under Perry v America's economy under Obama

Prediction for election: Perry wins

Prediction for 2012 campaign: Texas's economy under Perry v America's economy under Obama

A sound prediction, Rubio seems like the ideal token tea partyer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

Yes, please let this happen.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/03/governor-perrys-texas-economy_n_917460.html
    AUSTIN, Texas -- It was 105 degrees outside late last week when Vanessa Surita, 24, planted herself on the sidewalk and stretched her legs. Her young daughter sat in a stroller within arms length, outside the Austin Resource Center for the Homeless. Her needs were great: housing, a job, a high school diploma. She could mark progress in job applications filled out.

(snip)

Surita said she and her 21-month-old daughter crash at her sister's place with her two children. "We've been on the waiting list for housing since she was born," she said.

(snip)

Surita and Johnson do not fit in the prevailing narrative about the Lone Star state. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Texas has created more jobs in the last year than any other state. These job openings have become known as the much-hyped, "Texas Miracle." In his February 2011 state-of-the-state address, Governor Rick Perry boasted: "Our economic strength is no accident. It's a testimony to our people, our entrepreneurs, and, yes, to the decisions made in this building. Employers from across the country and around the world understand that the opportunity they crave can be found in Texas, and they're headed our way, with jobs in tow."

Should he ultimately choose to run for the White House, Perry will be spending a lot of his time on the stump repeating those lines. Dig beneath the talking points and you find a more troubling picture: rising unemployment, a glut of low-wage jobs without benefits, overcrowded homeless shelters and public schools facing billions in budget cuts. Surita and Johnson have been airbrushed from the miracle. But they still can be found on the housing waiting lists and shelter entrances.

"If you want a bad job, go to Texas," said Texas Rep. Garnet Coleman (D), who represents a district in Houston, in an interview with The Huffington Post. "If you want to work at Carl's Jr., our doors are open, and if you want to go to a crumbling school in a failing school system, this is the place to come."

(snip)

There's a crowd outside the ARCH no matter the heat. The building was designed for 100 dormitory beds, but now sleeps 215 -- including 115 men sleeping on mats on the a second floor dining room and a conference room floor. Even then, Mitchell Gibbs, the director of development and communications, said they are turning away 15 to 50 men a night.

"Austin is supposed to be ground zero of the Texas Miracle," explained Doug Greco, lead organizer with Austin Interfaith, a nonpartisan group of some 30 congregations, schools and unions. "But we have the higher poverty rate and higher child poverty rate--nearly one in three children." He added that the need for shelter, food and clothing has spiked in the city. "It doesn't take much to pierce through the rhetoric," he said.

Texas is struggling right along with every other state. According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, Texas had recently bumped up to 8.2 percent unemployment in June which puts it below the national average. Still plenty of states without miracles posted lower unemployment rates; New York, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Wisconsin, among others are all out performing Texas. Drill down even further into the numbers and there are plenty of residents that haven't felt the miracle.

(more at link)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭teol

I hope Gary Johnson does well. He seems to be my ideal candidate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Johnson

http://www.ontheissues.org/Gary_Johnson.htm

teol wrote: »
    I hope Gary Johnson does well. He seems to be my ideal candidate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Johnson

http://www.ontheissues.org/Gary_Johnson.htm

agreed, he really needs to get off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

agreed, he really needs to get off the ground.

Apparently he's putting everything into New Hampshire. As much as I'd like to see him get the nomination it is unlikely.

If Ron Paul were to get the nomination Johnson would be a good running mate.

Next weeks straw poll is vital for both. With Mitt Romney giving it a miss, Paul needs to be finishing second to stand a chance. Johnson also needs to show a big improvement on his recent poll numbers to start the ball rolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Palin, Bachmann and Santorum are totally unelectable as POTUS.

Obama is so vulnerable all the GOP have to do is present a semi-decent runner and he is in big trouble. However, should they go with any of the above they can forget it.

Apparently he's putting everything into New Hampshire. As much as I'd like to see him get the nomination it is unlikely.

If Ron Paul were to get the nomination Johnson would be a good running mate.

Next weeks straw poll is vital for both. With Mitt Romney giving it a miss, Paul needs to be finishing second to stand a chance. Johnson also needs to show a big improvement on his recent poll numbers to start the ball rolling.
    Hunstman and Johnson have ignored Iowa, hoping it will be irrelevant like last time. Bachmann and Pawlenty are putting it all into Iowa, hoping to create some momentum similar to what Obama created. If Gary Johnson was included in polls he'd have around the same numbers as Huntsman and Santorum.
    RonMexico wrote: »
    Palin, Bachmann and Santorum are totally unelectable as POTUS.

Obama is so vulnerable all the GOP have to do is present a semi-decent runner and he is in big trouble. However, should they go with any of the above they can forget it.

There is potential destruction of the US economy so it's too late to say someone can't win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Bachmann has more integrity than most in congress and despite her gaffes, as a general rule you don't get into a position of as much power as she has while being nuts. She is a frontrunner.

She is a member of the house, which in the greater political scheme of things, is not that powerful of a position. There are PLENTY of nutjobs in the House, and always have been - on both sides of the aisle (Cynthia McKinney comes to mind). Plus, with all of the gerrymandering over the last 20 years, Congressional reps today are more likely to be ideologues than they were in the past.
    Ron Paul has a great chance if he can win the Iowa straw poll, even 10% in Iowa would be enough to springboard him into being a frontrunner.

Ron Paul's own party will work against him because he presents a huge threat to the military-industrial complex.
    There is potential destruction of the US economy so it's too late to say someone can't win.

That someone will not be Bachmann, Palin or Santorum. They are on the extreme right of their own party. And it doesn't bode well for politicians when they can't hang onto their own seats.

Texas under Perry has been a disaster, and his own supporters are turning on him now that he is trying to gut the state university system. I would like to hear him explain to the American people why exactly he should be entrusted to uphold the constitution when he has openly spoken of secession.

Rubio is going to have a lot of problems on a national ticket given that there will be way more scrutiny of his political career in South Florida, which is a veritable cesspool of corruption and incompetence. If he is smart, he will sit this election cycle out so he doesn't end up the next Obama (not ready for prime time ), or worse yet, Bobby Jindal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I agree Bachmann, Palin or Santorum are unlikely to be on the ticket, and it would be a mistake if they are. I think Romney or Paul will be the GOP candidate. Can't fget excited about either of them, but being realistic, I doubt it'll be anyone else.

I would love to see Bobby Jindal as VP- wanted him to run actually- but it doesn't look like he will. He'd be good too- experience, appeal to the more conservative GOP members, and of a minority. I am thinking Herman Cain may have a chance at VP for same reason listed as Jindal.

And now off to fill in that N-400 so I actually get to vote next year...

silja wrote: »
    I agree Bachmann, Palin or Santorum are unlikely to be on the ticket, and it would be a mistake if they are.

I would love to see Bobby Jindal as VP- wanted him to run actually- but it doesn't look like he will. He'd be good too- experience, appeal to the more conservative GOP members, and of a minority. I am thinking Herman Cain may have a chance at VP for same reason listed as Jindal.

I would rather Bachmann to Cain, any day.

Can I ask why? I don't have a major problem with Bachman, but I think enough people do that a ticket with her on it would not be electable.

• Advertisement

Can I ask why? I don't have a major problem with Bachman, but I think enough people do that a ticket with her on it would not be electable.
    Yeah but put her up next to John McCain. It's a bit like lining a Skunk up next to a homeless person.

Just joking: I don't have enough information on Bachman to be opinionated about her. McCain on the other hand though, is a skunk.

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah but put her up next to John McCain. It's a bit like lining a Skunk up next to a homeless person.

I don't think John McCain is running again, he's had his chance. Are you mixing him up with Herman Cain? He has very different policies from McCain, much more conservative (and is black which, yes, it will matter to some voters, both good and bad). I don't think you can compare the two.

I don't think John McCain is running again, he's had his chance. Are you mixing him up with Herman Cain? He has very different policies from McCain, much more conservative (and is black which, yes, it will matter to some voters, both good and bad). I don't think you can compare the two.

Basically he/she is saying Bachmann is a better candidate than McCain, which is a fair analysis.

and i mistook cain for mccain, so youre both right.

and i mistook cain for mccain, so youre both right.

This Herman Cain chap really is useless, I remember I watched the SC debate, going in I knew all about Paul and Johnson, and throughout the entire debate I could not figure out what Cain/Pawlenty stood for, at least I was able to figure out what Santorum stood for. Then after the debate SCers called Cain a straight-talker! All this despite the fact he has no track record and dodged most question in the debate. People in SC are a little bit slow however, it was the kingmaker last time for McCain. Herman Cain is dead in the water now though.

People in SC are a little bit slow however,
    vg16212_implied-facepalm.jpg

......meh, you're right.

vg16212_implied-facepalm.jpg

......meh, you're right.

I was probably making unfiar generalisations because of the hicks that Fox asked about the debate after it.

If Cain got the republican nomination I couldn't support him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Would certain GOP canditates look to non-political VP picks to add balance to their ticket, such as General Petraeus who had done a good job in Iraq. Or else Donald Trump, on second thoughts starch that, Americans will show some sense.

There it is, was mentioned in another thread that libertarians love to jump in bed with the far right.

Bachman is as far right as you get in the states, wants to ban porn, gay rights and shove the bible down everyones throat.

so of course you'd rather her.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

RichieC wrote: »
    There it is, was mentioned in another thread that libertarians love to jump in bed with the far right.

Bachman is as far right as you get in the states, wants to ban porn, gay rights and shove the bible down everyones throat.

so of course you'd rather her.. :rolleyes:

And Cain wants to continue Bush's policies. Bachmann has some integrity at least.

Advertisement