Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DoC 4 - Septemeber 17th/24th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Everyone's welcome to say what they like, mate. It's a (sorta) free forum. :D

The only reason, and I do mean the ONLY reason, we don't run more team based tournaments outside of the SF one on the day is time constraints. If we had more time, I'd be very willing to do more team oriented stuff, like our old-fashioned North Vs South 5v5 BlazBlue offs. As it stands, we simply don't have the time to run both a singles and a team tournament...maybe if we get enough time at the end of the day for DoC4, since we're running from 12.40 (end of the prior event) till about 20.40 (end of our time), we might do some quickie 8-team single elim something, but I can't promise anything (we were VERY pushed for time on the last DoC).

As for MK commentary, there's no set persons to do it; it's whoever volunteers at the time. I did try to talk one of the MK lads into it, but it's a daunting thing for some people. Personally, I gab on and on, so I'm pretty confident behind the mike, but it can be a scary the first time. So...if you want do the commentary, show up and speak your mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

hi,
    would you consider gettin a diff commentary team for the mk recordings,
    someone who knows the game, like id hear alot off "maybe im talking crap i dont know" and a fair bit of untrue info bein said ie. all wakeup hav inviceable frames while there are only a handfull that are the rest are ex wakeups

I think this is one of those situations where you need to volunteer either yourself and/or other MK players, because you are the only ones who can do this.

This also means that you're commentating on every match when you're not playing if you want commentary to be at your standard.
    Also who will be commentating when you're playing?
    You'll need to arrange a rotation of volunteers to work it out.

It's basically all on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

hi,

would you consider gettin a diff commentary team for the mk recordings,
    someone who knows the game, like id hear alot off "maybe im talking crap i dont know" and a fair bit of untrue info bein said ie. all wakeup hav inviceable frames while there are only a handfull that are the rest are ex wakeups

would help people new to the game also just think it would reflect on the game better and makes think look/sound a bit more proper
    if you would consider this but have no one id be more than happy to do it;)
    You raise an interesting point but as Voa said it's voluntary.

There are no set commentators for any game whatsoever, if you hear a specific voice constantly in a certain game, then the person is merely still commentating by coincidence

The only people who have in depth knowledge on Mortal Kombat are Kurotao, Myself and maybe Doyler [I really don't know if he does] and chances are, while these matchs are going on we'll probably be partcipating in other tourneys or the MK one itself so really, we don't have enough players with knowledge of the game to commentate each one equally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

ah good 2 see opinions can be voiced on this forum, unlike others *cough airsoft cough*

1st of all thanks for replying :D
    yea i see how time could screw ya over, i get ya now ;)

i aint no tom brady but the more people i can get playing mk the better, i just want people to know as much info on the game as can, whats safe whats not what has super armor what just has 1 hit armor, this beats that and the like

i just like playing, win or lose, sometimes i prefer to lose because you learn from every loss, id really like to play kuratao, hes liu looks so sick in the vids ive seem, i could learn alot get my ass handed to me by him :)

I think this is one of those situations where you need to volunteer either yourself and/or other MK players, because you are the only ones who can do this.

This also means that you're commentating on every match when you're not playing if you want commentary to be at your standard.
    Also who will be commentating when you're playing?
    You'll need to arrange a rotation of volunteers to work it out.

It's basically all on you.

thanks for the insight man :)

ye i see what your saying, whos going to do it when im playing?
    i might have to try sort that out or maybe it could go back other volunteers or the default(for lack of a better word) comm team

• Advertisement

Nutrient wrote: »
    You raise an interesting point but as Voa said it's voluntary.

There are no set commentators for any game whatsoever, if you hear a specific voice constantly in a certain game, then the person is merely still commentating by coincidence

The only people who have in depth knowledge on Mortal Kombat are Kurotao, Myself and maybe Doyler [I really don't know if he does] and chances are, while these matchs are going on we'll probably be partcipating in other tourneys or the MK one itself so really, we don't have enough players with knowledge of the game to commentate each one equally.

your bring up some valid points nutrient
    see that would be one handy thing with me as i ONLY play mk ;)
    i just want to help give mk a bigger community in Ireland.

ps.if anyone thinking of gettin into mk, watch the top 8 matchs from evo
    8players 7-9 chars used, its one of the most balanced game that was there .ie.tekken all bob n law, ae,the twins,viper (ps seth doesnt count tee-hee)mv3 dont even get me started haha :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The reason Street Fighter is teams is actually because the Street Fighter community runs loads of tournaments and there'd be no point in doing another one.

If, no offence, the Mortal Kombat community got off it's arse and ran tournaments themselves, I am sure then it'd be a good idea to explore tournament formats. But until then I personally would be against it.

Same for the commentary as others have said, it's up to MK players to man up and do the commentary. People don't like talking about stuff they don't understand, it's just they're in effect doing me a favour by doing it.

Now, the above might seem a bit caustic, but I don't want to be- it's just I think people don't understand just how much MK or any game will go no where unless people who like it take responsibility for it. And I have to say, this is the third time I've said this, after reading MK people moaning about there not being enough tournaments. Why is it people who don't play MK's responsibility?

I would also say- who ever mans up and does it will get help. Like, I'll record any tournament I can long as I am available, and I am sure other people will show up and help out with organising etc because that's what we do and the way we roll. I know there's a MK scene in this country but Day of Champions isn't going to build it on it's own, it needs people like you.

Oh and Nutrient- considering the "Liu Kang needs to be more rushdown" as he bullies his opponent into the corner and lands a 40% combo, I don't think you actually grasp what a high level understanding of MK is, no offence! (As I could see that and I have played MK9 a total of 30 minutes)

thanks for the insight man :)

ye i see what your saying, whos going to do it when im playing?
    i might have to try sort that out or maybe it could go back other volunteers or the default(for lack of a better word) comm team

Sounds good.

A default comms team would even be an improvement on what is done for Street Fighter, since the SF scene is so big they have a lot more simultaneous setups running, and therefore less people who are waiting to play/available to commentate.

I'm not very good at commentating any game myself, but I'm usually always available after I get knocked out in groups :pac:

Sounds good.

A default comms team would even be an improvement on what is done for Street Fighter, since the SF scene is so big they have a lot more simultaneous setups running, and therefore less people who are waiting to play/available to commentate.

I'm not very good at commentating any game myself, but I'm usually always available after I get knocked out in groups :pac:

There's an entire other thread I could write on commentating Inferno, there's an "a list" pool of about 5 people I really like for it now, and a slightly different one for Marvel. Doesn't mean other people can't do it but for me there's definitely a higher class of humour and knowledge emerging (as I knew it would).

The reason Street Fighter is teams is actually because the Street Fighter community runs loads of tournaments and there'd be no point in doing another one.

If, no offence, the Mortal Kombat community got off it's arse and ran tournaments themselves, I am sure then it'd be a good idea to explore tournament formats. But until then I personally would be against it.

Same for the commentary as others have said, it's up to MK players to man up and do the commentary. People don't like talking about stuff they don't understand, it's just they're in effect doing me a favour by doing it.

Now, the above might seem a bit caustic, but I don't want to be- it's just I think people don't understand just how much MK or any game will go no where unless people who like it take responsibility for it. And I have to say, this is the third time I've said this, after reading MK people moaning about there not being enough tournaments. Why is it people who don't play MK's responsibility?

I would also say- who ever mans up and does it will get help. Like, I'll record any tournament I can long as I am available, and I am sure other people will show up and help out with organising etc because that's what we do and the way we roll. I know there's a MK scene in this country but Day of Champions isn't going to build it on it's own, it needs people like you.

Oh and Nutrient- considering the "Liu Kang needs to be more rushdown" as he bullies his opponent into the corner and lands a 40% combo, I don't think you actually grasp what a high level understanding of MK is, no offence! (As I could see that and I have played MK9 a total of 30 minutes)

1st of all before forget to type it,"liu kang needs be more rushdown" holy crud :confused:
    now that that outta way...
    doom thanks for your insight man,very aprecated :)

ok, you speak of a mk kommunity (forgot to spell with a k earlier shame on me :rolleyes:) in europe not just ireland is pretty much doesnt exsist, turkey has a suprising big one but how and ever.

only big mk kommunity before mk9 was umk3 which was 99.9% american based,even mk vs dc had small kommunity even with bringing the dc heads in. also another reason for this is mk9 is the 1st mk game that isnt broken, if you ever played a mk before mk9 youll know what i mean and the fact mk9 was the 1st mk at evo adds to my point

because of this this is 1st game i play for more than ****s n giggles and lets be honest before mk9 thats all this game was for.

i know nothing of setting up tournies and the like but if a mainly mk tourny was made? how many would go? not many at this point in this time imo.
    you would have to throw in sf and others to get any turn out and why put on a tourny to grow mk kommunity if people wouldnt be there for mk??

like maybe some who goes to play sf might see mk and be like oh thats looks fun ill give it a go so i see the benfits of having other games so kinda a catch 22

maybe your right doom,all thats needed is for someone to man up, maybe thats man me,i dunno all i know is,i dont want mk to die and i dont want the only way for me to get matches is online

• Advertisement

There's an entire other thread I could write on commentating Inferno

I'd read that thread.

i know nothing of setting up tournies and the like but if a mainly mk tourny was made? how many would go? not many at this point in this time imo.
    you would have to throw in sf and others to get any turn out and why put on a tourny to grow mk kommunity if people wouldnt be there for mk??

like maybe some who goes to play sf might see mk and be like oh thats looks fun ill give it a go so i see the benfits of having other games so kinda a catch 22

maybe your right doom,all thats needed is for someone to man up, maybe thats man me,i dunno all i know is,i dont want mk to die and i dont want the only way for me to get matches is online

That's cool man, no one would expect you or anyone to know what they were doing right off the bat.

Are you in Dublin? Probably the best thing to start with is organising to meet up for casuals in XGC some Saturday and see if people could come.

Yup. This is why, while I was initially against having SF teams at DoC, I was persuaded that the easiest way to get more people in to play games they might not turn up for tournaments at was to have it.

Also, you CAN run a tourney for your own game...just don't expect big numbers. Wheel Of Hype was an old tournament I ran for about 8 months that solely ran Blazblue, and its top attendance was about 16 people, with 5-7 being the lowest. I always ran it though, you gotta be a little bullheaded about tournaments ;) And as Doom said, the XGC is a pretty good place to run smaller tournaments.

That's cool man, no one would expect you or anyone to know what they were doing right off the bat.

Are you in Dublin? Probably the best thing to start with is organising to meet up for casuals in XGC some Saturday and see if people could come.

i live in drogheda but getting to dublin no problem to me,
    yea ive been thinking to go to a casual to try get some people to play mk with me but i dont know anyone in ireland gaming scene apart from players ive meet in the mk thread so kinda bit lost and bit :o

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

i dont want mk to die and i dont want the only way for me to get matches is online
    Just come to casuals, get to know the people of the fighting games community, its not just Street Fighter, thats just the most popular. People play everything really.
    I do be at most casuals and would gladly play some MK9. Some of the other lads do be there play it too.

Ye can't expect to never meet anyone and just organise a tounrnament and people will show. The last DoC brought some new faces to the MK9 scene and they were good players. Hopefully the scene will grow from that.

i live in drogheda but getting to dublin no problem to me,
    yea ive been thinking to go to a casual to try get some people to play mk with me but i dont know anyone in ireland gaming scene apart from players ive meet in the mk thread so kinda bit lost and bit :o

If you look around here, you'll see loads of threads titled something like "CASUALS, XGC, 15 December" or something like that.

You could start a thread like that for a week or two and ask for MK people to come along as a first meeting. You could discuss a tournament there.

Even if you get 3 people- it's a start, and if you pick a Sat or a Wed you'll run into the SF lads who always meet there, and could help.

Make sure to mention it in the MK thread, too.

There were so many people into MK on boards when it came out, I am sure there's potential to build a scene.

Voa I got a text from my nephew: As of yesterday, he has purchased both Marvel3 and Blazblue CS.

His little brothers are really digging it too.

Mission accomplished!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Nutrient wrote: »
    1.Put the bracket listings for each game on the wall!

2.Set up casual consoles away from tournament games [If consoles are available]

3.People need to mind my language, chill to f**k out!

A few people got too salty about games and you know what?
    **** happens, no use in crying about it,

1 - Logistically non viable imo. I think you (Voa in this case) need to delegate the running of each of the different tourneys to nominated/elected people - like Dreddy at the last one. That would give each tourney a point of contact to find next match and not everyone looking for Voa - which doesn't work.

2 - Extra consoles - put them to use within the tournament to move it along. I really don't think that casual play is something that a tournament should be specifically providing for at the expense of a tournament machine/setup. Be ready for the tourney, not have to get ready by playing casuals. The more setups you have, the easier it is to accommodate should it be possible but from most, if not all, of the tourneys/events we have hosted, there is never enough setups to do this specifically - imho.

3 - You cannot tell people how to act or respond - once its either respectful, or HYPE, then so be it. "**** happens, no use in crying about it,"? Muh? Get HYPE, get competitive, or get out :p. I just don't get this - we should all play nice. As Farz said (I know, I can't believe I'm agreeing with him) we are too nicey nicey anyway when it comes to playing. Am I wrong? Now, I am not saying we should all throw the toys out of the pram, but .... Has to be a bit of edge to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭OriginalRazer

What Town/City is this held in?

If its klose enough I will kome for MK.

All the best,
    Razer

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

Well I have all MK DLC for ps3 and Xbox with AE, MVC3 and all CS patches and will be buying all DLC for it this week (NOT COLOURS JUST CHARACTERS) since I got my nice holiday pay bonus, so I can bring hard drives/consoles and a 16 - 20 inch hdtv (not sure of exact specs)

I would even be willing to "share" MK dlc with people if they want so we have a ps3 with it all there (say I give my details to Joe and he downloads it then it is fully ready to go)

My only prob is I would have to be told a good bit in advance since I work every Saturday night starting at 9pm and would need to plan where to store crap in work (not an issue I just have to make sure no one puts stuff where I plan to put them)

And I will say you did a great job last time (sure I had to leave at 5pm but everything up to then seemed really well done)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

So has a date/time/games/price been decided for this?
    If so, the first thread needs to be updated, or at least a new post with all relevant details listed clearly is needed.

Sairus wrote: »
    So has a date/time/games/price been decided for this?
    September 17th.
    People with consoles show up at 12.40, first tournament (SF teams) begins 13.15-13.30.
    Games will be SSFAE Teams, 3SOE, MvC3, BBCS2, MK9.
    Price will be the same as before (5 in, 7 for single entry, 10 for full entry) with a price reduction for people who I PM back about consoles/monitors.

I also just want to say that those who have not PM'd me will not be considered.
    Except for Joe.

What Town/City is this held in?

If its klose enough I will kome for MK.

All the best,
    Razer

Tis on in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

Well of course joe, we know you too have your blazblue bromance ;-)

Voa wrote: »
    snip

Cheers man. Here's a SF.ie post for your troubles :) Tell your friends :pac:
    http://streetfighter.ie/index.php/2011/08/14/day-of-champions-4-the-exchange-temple-bar-dublin-17th-september-2011/

Also, DoC gets the honour of being the first event on our newly working Event Calender! Look at her over there on the right of the website. (It's not exactly easy on the eyes, but it'll do for the moment :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

1:59, best commentary eva! :)

"I was pink tager."

Man, I was just NOT on mike for that day at all :pac:

Tis on in Dublin.

Whats XGC? and when is it?

Sorry if I sound retarded.
    We MK players tend to have no experience in this sort of thing kompared to the rest of you.... especially in Ireland lol :P

All the best,
    Razer

The Xtreme Gaming Cafe is an internet cafe on Liffy Street in Dublin. (Across and down the street a bit from Games Workshop)

Tis right about here: http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=liffy+street,+dublin&hl=en&ll=53.347349,-6.258688&spn=0.007071,0.01929&sll=53.401034,-8.307638&sspn=6.737429,5.493164&vpsrc=6&z=16

Just go inside and head upstairs at the back, you'll probably hear that lovely sound of a half dozen arcade sticks clicking away.

• Advertisement

Sairus wrote: »
    The Xtreme Gaming Cafe is an internet cafe on Liffy Street in Dublin. (Across and down the street a bit from Games Workshop)

Tis right about here: http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=liffy+street,+dublin&hl=en&ll=53.347349,-6.258688&spn=0.007071,0.01929&sll=53.401034,-8.307638&sspn=6.737429,5.493164&vpsrc=6&z=16

Just go inside and head upstairs at the back, you'll probably hear that lovely sound of a half dozen arcade sticks clicking away.

Do you know if its far from the Depo?
    It wud be a bus journey for me you see. No euros either lol

I studied that street anyway thanx man, ill look out for the Gold SPAR logo lol

All the best,
    Razer

Advertisement