Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What threads should be in "Train & Rail Systems"?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Surely the brief of this thread is decide what threads are included and now to a further extent tweaking the parameters of the forum. I for one have no interest in this latest criticism of the mods, my opinion is they carry out their function effectively. Can we just get on with the job in hand ??? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i realise you posted at the same time as I did, but any comments I have made are not criticism of the mods,( in fact I was intending to suggest someone like you as a moderator!

corktina wrote: »
    the problem with a poll I think is that it would be open to all boardsies I imagine, few of whom would ever use the forum but many of whom might vote having an interest in Rail other than from the railfan perspective.

I think Id prefer to trust in the current mods to look closely at what was the intention of those who lobbied for this forum. Its certainly not the place for commuters to be posting that their train was late or for moans about fines for having the wrong ticket.

It does seem to me that most ,if not all, of the people wanting the forum, wanted a railfan-type forum.

I agree with what you say and I trust the mods to get it right. The poll was just a suggestion to assist them if they wanted to check the consensus and it's up to them whether they wish to run one. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I think

Do you want a specific rail fan forum ??? - What would you define as specific rail fan? The current Charter restricts discussion to rail systems (technical issues & how things work) and rail heritage. Would you want to broaden that definition or narrow it in order to only cater for specific rail fans?
    OR
    Do you want a broadly based rail forum ??? - I don't think this is possible based on the current setup. Any commuter-related rail issues will go to C&T, as will any rail politics topics. If you had a broadly based rail forum would you be hoping to divert all rail topics from C&T to here?

I actually think the current Charter gives us a rail fan forum already, and I personally think that's a correct place to draw the line.

On thinking about it, I'd agree that a poll is open to "abuse" - i.e. if our final decision is based on a poll with 400 replies, would anybody actually trust the decision was representative of the C&T community?

Ignore the WRC thread for the purposes of this discussion, if you don't mind :). I think "what kind of threads/what kind of forum" and "where should the WRC thread go" should probably be separate for the moment.

i realise you posted at the same time as I did, but any comments I have made are not criticism of the mods,( in fact I was intending to suggest someone like you as a moderator!

Yep posts did cross ok, my post was general and not directed at you or anyone else in particular. Apologies if you thought it was. More to do with getting side-tracked off the issue in hand and giving our Mods a bit of support. I am conscious that sometimes C&T isn't an easy station for them - no pun intended.

Re the modding, I feel there are far more knowledgeable posters than me with thousands of posts to their name, including your good self. :)

• Advertisement

-Chris- wrote: »
    I think

Do you want a specific rail fan forum ??? - What would you define as specific rail fan? The current Charter restricts discussion to rail systems (technical issues & how things work) and rail heritage. Would you want to broaden that definition or narrow it in order to only cater for specific rail fans?
    OR
    Do you want a broadly based rail forum ??? - I don't think this is possible based on the current setup. Any commuter-related rail issues will go to C&T, as will any rail politics topics. If you had a broadly based rail forum would you be hoping to divert all rail topics from C&T to here?

Hypothetically, if a poll was to go ahead then what is meant by a 'specific rail fan forum' is as the current charter but not with threads that have an emotive/ political content. Strictly 'rail systems, technical issues and heritage'.

What is meant by a 'broadly based forum' would be indeed be all rail topics segregated out from C&T. However I see the difficulty with regard to stripping out C&T, so perhaps this idea is not the brightest.

I actually think the current Charter gives us a rail fan forum already, and I personally think that's a correct place to draw the line.

On thinking about it, I'd agree that a poll is open to "abuse" - i.e. if our final decision is based on a poll with 400 replies, would anybody actually trust the decision was representative of the C&T community?

In broad agreement here, and perhaps the poll suggestion is not such a good idea after all. A consensus will evolve over time, I believe, which will indicate what may have to be tweaked here and there to ensure the smooth running our forum. I rest my case. :)

I think

OR

Ignore the WRC thread for the purposes of this discussion, if you don't mind :). I think "what kind of threads/what kind of forum" and "where should the WRC thread go" should probably be separate for the moment.

I have a problem with the phrase "rail systems" It doesnt really mean anything specific.Victors "rail industry and heritage " is much better.

Railfans are hard to describe, perhaps amateur railwayman + rail professionals might cover it?

perhaps we shouls leave things lie for a while as we arent getting much input, perhaps indicating that people are happy as is?

Re the modding, I feel there are far more knowledgeable posters than me with thousands of posts to their name, including your good self. :)

based on the way you have conducted yourself against vocal opposition verging on bullying by several forum members (myself included) in the past. I might not agree with you often, BUT you impressed me with your determination to defend all things rail. Perhaps we should leave this idea lie too fttb

based on the way you have conducted yourself against vocal opposition by several forum members in the past. I might not agree with you often, BUT you impressed me with your determination to defend all things rail. Perhaps we should leave this idea lie too fttb

FYP :D Ah sure you've impressed me too in defending the GWR Kings & Castles - remember ??? :D

Looking back over this Forum Request Thread, I noticed in at least two of the posts, a request for Model Railways to be included. Just wondering what the mods and other posters' thoughts might be regarding this issue? I'd be all for it as TRS is essentially a rail enthusiast forum !!!

• Advertisement

I'd think it should be separate, and that model railways should be some sort of "gaming" sub-forum. But that's just me... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'd go with this personally. The whole idea was to take the politics out of Rail issues as it always managed to derail(pun intended:pac:) threads. Issues like "Where's the cheap online tickets" and "Why is there one less evening train on the Northern Line" are best suited to C&T whilst threads such as the IE speed improvements one currently live here is best suited to this forum. Often politics and rail are inextricably linked and there'll be a crossover(pun heaven tonight!:pac:) but in some cases it'll be historical politics which led to modern decisions on operations and infrastructure and shouldn't be as heated as that of current operations and IE management.

In all honesty there'll never be a perfect balance but the way i look at it is you can always ignore a particular thread if it's getting overheated on the politics front. The WRC thread is a C&T thread imo as it's feck all to do with the running of the line and operations and more about the politics behind it and which continue to be played out on it.

I wouldn't see the name as a big deal. It is a bit strange,sounds more like science than transport but it'll do the job for the moment and can always be looked at down the line(pun intended again!:pac:).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Looking back over this Forum Request Thread, I noticed in at least two of the posts, a request for Model Railways to be included. Just wondering what the mods and other posters' thoughts might be regarding this issue? I'd be all for it as TRS is essentially a rail enthusiast forum !!!
    Model railways can go either in the models forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=486 or perhaps use a "[Models]" tag here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Many of the railway modeling guys that I've met or know would be very much fans of railway history and heritage as well as the rolling stock side of things. I'd feel they would be at home here and well able to slot into debates of the nerdy nature we will fall into :)

As to discussions on topics that should or shouldn't belong here, my idea of a rule of thumb would be that our numbers should be on cab sides and mileposts and not balance sheets or passenger counts while we should try to be as politics free as possible, within reason of course.

I'll take your guidance on the model railways.

My dad's always made model railways and model planes. The house has been full of that stuff since I was a kid.

I remember talking to a plane spotter once, and I said to him "oh, my dad loves planes too. He makes model airplanes!"
    To say that the response was a contemptuous "harumph" would be being kind.

Ever since then I always presumed that spotters of the real deal looked down on modellers of the miniature.

Maybe you can disabuse me of that presumption! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'd like a bit of models in here tbh, maybe limited to Irish stuff. The models forum is very dead...

Screen%20shot%202011-02-25%20at%2008.11.00.png:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Where should "I want a rail system for my town" threads go, like: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055307417

I'd have thought Infrastructure, because it's discussing whether something should be built.

Due to the popularity of the 071 class locomotives, I wish to request that the following thread be transferred over from C&T please, if possible. :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65671990

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I think "extra services for Nenagh" is probably more C&T than T&RS"?

• Advertisement

You're better off reporting a post/thread if you have an issue with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I don't have an issue with it - I thought this was where we suggested where threads go? :confused:

Advertisement