Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no more Stargate

Options
  • 01-08-2011 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭

withdrawl is slowly about to kick in :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,777 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Still never watched anything after they announced the cancellation.

Still very much mad at SyFy for fudging the franchise on a Fall lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Mind me asking why they killed one of their highest ranking shows ?

Seems a bit odd to totally kill SG after Murdering SGA too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

MugMugs wrote: »
    Mind me asking why they killed one of their highest ranking shows ?

Seems a bit odd to totally kill SG after Murdering SGA too

as horrible as it is to say stargates live ratings had been dwindling for years, and the last season of SGU fell below 1 million viewers more that SYFY would have wanted, which was the main reason they killed it,

i though it was more a combination of fan loyalty, and the showrunners dragging there feet and trying to hard to make the show more dark, you can see that in the second half of season 2 they really started getting into there stride, it seemed more the stargate of old, the darkness angle was dialed back, and just a smidge of humour added in, and it made all the difference, also the some proper alien activity was great to see,

its hard to call, it didnt get off to a great start, with a bunch of SGA fans boycotting it, and some SG-1 fans still raw at the cancellation of that, so grudges played a part, the dark tone didnt really play well from the start, but the numbers we steady and within renewal figure so the showrunners carried on with the story they were telling, i dont think it was untill the first 5 or 6 epsidoes of season 2 aired that they actually realised they had ****ed up big time, and then attempted to fix there mistake, and by this point SYFY had decided it was a dead show airing,

They also premiered it in the Fall, unlike all but one of All of the SG1 and SGA seasons, which all premiered in the Summer, when Network TV doesnt offer huge competition to viewership.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

The ratings weren't there...it had to be axed.

• Advertisement

only because it had to compete with network television. in the fall.

They should have suspended season 2.5 until the summer just to prove the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

maybe they should axe tv altogether over there. they axed V and tons of decent shows before and this is going to put people off watching any new stuff that comes out cause they know it will be just axed again and again and again. what planet are they on. as a friend of mine said it's disheartening that they keep doing this.

Their model will have to change. The only things you can really count on are long running network shows, and the premier channels. The likes of Showtime and HBO with shows like Weeds and True Blood, Curb your Enthusiasm, etc. because what do ratings seriously matter as long as your subscribers keep paying you $10/mo for you channel? Stargate started on Showtime after all.. as for True Blood it really helps if you have enough money to pay Anna Paquin to get nude and moan like a whoor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Overheal wrote: »
    Their model will have to change. The only things you can really count on are long running network shows, and the premier channels. The likes of Showtime and HBO with shows like Weeds and True Blood, Curb your Enthusiasm, etc. because what do ratings seriously matter as long as your subscribers keep paying you $10/mo for you channel? Stargate started on Showtime after all.. as for True Blood it really helps if you have enough money to pay Anna Paquin to get nude and moan like a whoor.

only cost 75K per episode so not bad, chump change, the cast of desperate housewifes get 400K and episode and not a nipple to be seen :D:D:D

not ****ing desperate enough then if you ask me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Would have few issues if Carter or TJ togged off and made accompanying sounds being honest.....

constantg wrote: »
    Would have few issues if Carter or TJ togged off and made accompanying sounds being honest.....

Haha

I'd have NO issues if Carter or TJ did that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Just watching the SGU premiere again.

How the hell did they dial out using the 9th chevron as Earth's point of origin when there wouldn't be an Earth point of origin symbol on the Icarus gate. It woulda had Icarus' point of origin symbol!

Also Sgt. Riley wears Senior Airman chevrons. :cool:

Conor108 wrote: »
    Just watching the SGU premiere again.

How the hell did they dial out using the 9th chevron as Earth's point of origin when there wouldn't be an Earth point of origin symbol on the Icarus gate. It woulda had Icarus' point of origin symbol!

Also Sgt. Riley wears Senior Airman chevrons. :cool:

Riley could be Acting Sgt. Happens in militaries, often at short notice, or people serve probationary periods and get the rank honorofic but not the stripes until its official....

Also They didn't say it was an icarus gate, they said icarus was the first suitable planet they'd found.

Plus wasn't the icarus planet found within the milky way galaxy? Therefore wouldnt it naturally have the Alpha for Earth?

Also They didn't say it was an icarus gate, they said icarus was the first suitable planet they'd found.

Plus wasn't the icarus planet found within the milky way galaxy? Therefore wouldnt it naturally have the Alpha for Earth?
    It was an Icarus gate. One they could dial out of but not into.

I wager it was set up specifically with the correct point of origin on the dial. And perhaps it was not always located at Icarus.

Aside from that the whole unique point of origin thing bugged the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Munster Blogger

I wish I hadn't come across the Stargate forum. Thought I as over the withdrawal . Should nerves have canned SGA , even though I wasn't a fan of SGU , it did me as a fix every week. I was really hoping for one more SG1 and SGA movie but I guess its reruns for the next 10 years.

I think its too big a brand to let die. I've a feeling someone will pick it up again at some time. (Just like the million different Star Treks there are out there. )

Oh well... in a few days, this forum will go dark. I tried to stop it but they wouldn't listen. If only we had more time to - to - ...... ah forget it. /unsub.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Oh well... in a few days, this forum will go dark. I tried to stop it but they wouldn't listen. If only we had more time to - to - ...... ah forget it. /unsub.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I presume we're gating here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1378 :(

Well it was inevitable I suppose.

Pleasure posting with you all under our free realm. Time to join the ranks of Lost etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Just watching season 2 for the first time and while I was sceptical of the show I really enjoyed the first season.

Unfortunately though, I can see the decline in episode/story quality in the second season.

It dwindles at times yet remains somewhat addictive.

You're a long way from meeting the Ori my favourite SG1 foe !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I meant the second season of SGU.

I met the Ori, didn't really do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

KINOS!

Conor108 wrote: »
    KINOS!

Very very cool, quick someone PM Eli!!! Wait, has anyone seen him?He hasn't been around in a while......

Very very cool, quick someone PM Eli!!! Wait, has anyone seen him?He hasn't been around in a while......

He sleeps a lot these days apparently

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Or does he ???????????????????/

Come on season 3 till we find out.:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Ezridax wrote: »
    Or does he ???????????????????/

Come on season 3 till we find out.:D

AARRGGHH I need to know! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 e46318ise

only seeing this forum now, i just recently watched sgu season 1&2 and I am hooked.... and bummed!:(

There are plenty of petitions and movements to bring it back into production, google 'save sgu' or something to that effect.

wouldn't it be nice if they re-started it for a third season exactly three years on from season two ?:D most of the actors are doing small scale roles at the moment so i imagine getting them back wouldnt be an issue, any that couldnt come back could be written out of the show as a stasis pod malfunction or something...

Bring back SGU!!!

• Advertisement

e46318ise wrote: »
    only seeing this forum now, i just recently watched sgu season 1&2 and I am hooked.... and bummed!:(

There are plenty of petitions and movements to bring it back into production, google 'save sgu' or something to that effect.

wouldn't it be nice if they re-started it for a third season exactly three years on from season two ?:D most of the actors are doing small scale roles at the moment so i imagine getting them back wouldnt be an issue, any that couldnt come back could be written out of the show as a stasis pod malfunction or something...

Bring back SGU!!!

Totally agree, be nice if Eli hadn't quite figured things out, but had managed to get them there but not be able to remain in stasis himself......like if he had had to live through those three years and he had changed as a result!!

Advertisement